Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Selaco - A Doom engine FPS inspired by FEAR and the classics - coming to Early Access in May

Curratum

Are those... voxel pickups? :o

Pound Meat

Prophet
Guys, stop being such cucks. Everyone knows the game is going to be mediocre. No need to please the banalshitboring indie dev.

Don't worry, you have no idea how confident I am about this game. I would have left this place if that weren't the case.

Wow. I can´t help but hope that your vydia dev skills are better that your ability to make arguments.

It wasn't an argument. I am legitimately sorry for you.

You should seriously consider showing the gameplay soon and releasing the demo soon afterwards, otherwise the postings will continue until morale improves.

Yeah, and I really care about what RPGCodex has to say about Selaco... :P Like I said in an earlier post, I am mostly here to send screenshots to the team for a quick laugh. The ones that had something worthwhile to say, whether its proper criticism or praise, you guys are awesome! The demo happens when the team and I think its ready!

"I don't care about you dumb chuds but I'm an indie dev desperate for exposure so I'm going to relentlessly shill my game on this alt-right site anyway". At least have some self-respect and go back to doomworld. 95% of the people giving you reddit upboats in this thread are going to pirate your game, so there's really no benefit to keeping up this charade.

The codex is alt-right? Oh shit!

Last edited:

Nexxtic

Arcane
Developer
I hope you're joking.

inb4 somebody making a 'Trash' joke.

Base Profile Screenshot 2021.03.04 - 00.41.29.08.png

Base Profile Screenshot 2021.03.04 - 00.41.37.34.png

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I hope you're joking.

inb4 somebody making a 'Trash' joke.

View attachment 18197
View attachment 18198
Obviously if the textures were made to be pixelated, then that's how they should be. But people even like to disable it in games that were made for it, too. Imagine doing that in a game like Unreal or Sin. It's just dumb. On the other hand, your example is more like playing Duke Nukem 3D in a source-port, which is also dumb.

Next you're going to tell me gl_modulate is totally the correct way to change Quake 2's brightness, aren't you.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Really, you guys are retards if you're running around playing OpenGL games without filtering. Nexxtit is a cuckhead so obviously he'll read my glorious poasts as ‘herpderp wat a contradactshun!’, but there's no such error. Games made for software renderers (this includes some that also have hardware renderers, such as the aforementioned GLQuake) aren't intended to have filtering, and games made for hardware renderers are. Where Selaco fits into this is that it doesn't, as it's a retro indie game made without filtering despite being hardware rendered. That's not something that existed back then. Of course Doom/Duke 3D-style textures will look like shit when filtered, and since that's what Selaco's emulating, it'll look like shit too. I never disagreed with that. But all of that has nothing to do with hipsters turning off filtering in newer games because of some meme-opinion that ‘filtering bad omg’. Apparently you guys subscribe to this belief too, which is why you even made your game have pickle grafix in the first place.

Nexxtic

Arcane
Developer
Really, you guys are retards if you're running around playing OpenGL games without filtering. Nexxtit is a cuckhead so obviously he'll read my glorious poasts as ‘herpderp wat a contradactshun!’, but there's no such error. Games made for software renderers (this includes some that also have hardware renderers, such as the aforementioned GLQuake) aren't intended to have filtering, and games made for hardware renderers are. Where Selaco fits into this is that it doesn't, as it's a retro indie game made without filtering despite being hardware rendered. That's not something that existed back then. Of course Doom/Duke 3D-style textures will look like shit when filtered, and since that's what Selaco's emulating, it'll look like shit too. I never disagreed with that. But all of that has nothing to do with hipsters turning off filtering in newer games because of some meme-opinion that ‘filtering bad omg’. Apparently you guys subscribe to this belief too, which is why you even made your game have pickle grafix in the first place.

Someone posts about a tweet I made for Selaco (a game where a pixelated look is important) where I was joking about texture filtering looking ugly in Selaco. You decided to globally insult everyone who plays without texture filtering in your first post. You did not mention anything specific and since you are replying to a tweet that I made, it is very easy to assume that you meant people are retarted for playing without filtering in Selaco.

Suddenly after I called you out on it, you are like ''HURR DURR I DID NOT MEAN SELACO''. Yes, then perhaps you should be more clear about that from the start you dingus.

Texture filtering is okay in most games, I think most people will agree with you on that.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
FWIW i play GLQuake with texture filtering since i always played it with texture filtering and never had any nostalgia for the unfiltered look - to me it looks "wrong" without it. In general i like how texture filtering looks even with low resolution textures, with the only exception being games with a crispy cartoonish style and single-pixel wide details. Which is why i also like N64 graphics even though i never had a N64 nor grew up with it (also i like N64 graphics when running in high resolution via an emulator, not the original smudgy resolution of N64 :-P).

E.g. in the Selaco screenshot above i prefer the filtered texture version for most textures and the main part where i find the nonfiltered version to look better is the letters in the "trash".

But having said that, when it comes to lower resolutions (like e.g. the classic VGA or PS1 resolutions) i prefer unfiltered textures. In fact even back in 1999-2000 when i first played Unreal (which had some form of filtering even in the software renderer) i used the console to disable the filtering because i played it on a 320x240 mode and i didn't like how the filtering looked there.

Though none of the above are a strong preference, either way works fine for me.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

Someone posts about a tweet I made for Selaco (a game where a pixelated look is important) where I was joking about texture filtering looking ugly in Selaco. You decided to globally insult everyone who plays without texture filtering in your first post. You did not mention anything specific and since you are replying to a tweet that I made, it is very easy to assume that you meant people are retarted for playing without filtering in Selaco.

Suddenly after I called you out on it, you are like ''HURR DURR I DID NOT MEAN SELACO''. Yes, then perhaps you should be more clear about that from the start you dingus.

Texture filtering is okay in most games, I think most people will agree with you on that.
I'm sorry that my posts are too elliptical for retards to understand, but the Codex doesn't scale to your level and neither do I. Interestingly, every single person who fails to understand me has fallacious reasoning. Makes you think.

Anyway pickle grafix sux lmao

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Honestly, if you play hardware-accelerated games without texture filtering, you're a retarded hipster.

Yeah, imagine not wanting to play using the cataracts filter.
Moar liek imagine not wanting to play using the hipster filter. You can't even handle playing a game at 720p30 because you'll lose your sense of reality without 8K 1000 FPS, why should I care what some cripple who shouldn't even be playing games thinks.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It has nothing to do with being retro (lord if i'm not one of the biggest enemies of that shit here. I still have a problem with Dusk for being ugly as shit compared to Quake). I play Quake at 1440p (would also play at 144hz but alas it seems like the engine caps at 71hz) but i don't use texture filtering. Why? Because it looks better without it.

I also play Unreal with all the accelerated effects and filters, while i'm ambivalent about stuff like Half Life 1. I don't think there's any hard rule here but some games just look terrible with that filter and Doom happens to be one of them,.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
It has nothing to do with being retro. I play Quake at 1440p (would also play at 144hz but alas it seems like the engine caps at 71hz) but i don't use texture filtering. Why? Because it looks better without it.

I also play Unreal with all the accelerated effects and filters, while i'm ambivalent about stuff like Half Life 1.
I'm not talking about games that have filtering slapped on later as an afterthought, as was the case with GLQuake. I mean weirdos who disable it in games made for it because they want to LARP software rendering.

Selaco is a different case as the textures are obviously made to be pixelated, but then at the same they add all these other effects that don't fit with that, so it ends up being its own kind of anachronistic retro LARP. Of course it's just because low-res is easier, but is it really? At this point it seems like these people genuinely believe turning off filtering is all it takes to make a game ‘retro’. And nevermind shit like level design or aesthetics or whatever, we actually just wanna make a FEAR clone but that's too hard so we're going to pretend is actually meant to be retro trolololololo

EDIT: On the topic of Half-Life, though it would seem like the hardware mode would ideal for a game like that, the software renderer is actually more functional. So obviously what people do is turn the filtering off in hardware mode and leave all its problems entirely intact because I don't even know.

btw cool edits bro, you're rating my posts retadred and then arguing a position that is actually in agreement if not the same as my own. I know it's because I consistently fail all speech checks, but come on guise

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom