Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Selaco - A Doom engine FPS inspired by FEAR and the classics - coming to Early Access in May

geno

Savant
I replayed FEAR recently. It's an overrated game. The enemies die about as fast as those in Half-Life 2 and the damage they do is instantly negated by your tower of portable medkits. And then there's bullet-time, the awesum buttan in every game it's ever been in. Repetitive game (especially in terms of scares), all the entertainment comes from its flashiness, which is very cool indeed. But all that shit about teh best AI evar is actually just elaborate animation scripting. It's very good that it's there, but what is the AI even supposed to be doing that's so smart when it's stuck in a cramped hallway and I kill everyone in three seconds? This was on Hard, also.

Care to tell me which FPS have better AI and/or better shooting than F.E.A.R. I'd love to hear it. And I love to hear it cuz I will instantly play that game!!!!
To be fair he didn't state that other FPS have better AI. On a side note, I think that the bigger problem with making a good AI is design it in order to be fun or engaging. I see the modern shooter (CoD or 1886) and I see an average AI, just functional. Then I play Turok 2 and, despite it being smoke and mirrors, manages to surprise me.
FEAR can be smoke and mirrors too but it just works. Maybe the problem with these games is that today we play in a very aggressive way and AI just can't shine because it just doesn't have a chance. Blood cultists are a bigger challenge but that doesn't mean they have a good AI.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
To be honest, I don't really care what the AI in a game is as long as it meets the average standard for functionality. Anything past that needs to contribute something interesting to the gameplay, or else it's just showing off. What matters most is encounter design. FEAR's was fine, but not anything especially memorable, really. It's just that it was the last major FPS actually made for PCs that was any good.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
People might be surprised what can be done with Doom engine

FB_IMG_1539933198140.jpg

Total Chaos btw, standalone

It just popped up on youtube

Looks like fucking Stalker

Riskbreaker

There is a fair bit to it that is Stalkerish, yeah. Some of its environments and mood, survival mechanics, weapon degradation, inventory management and so on. But there's a bit of Condemned and Silent Hill to it too.
You really should play it. It's quite the feat and easily one of rare good horror games in recent memory.

schru

Arcane
F.E.A.R. was my last Monolith game, but in their hey day interesting environments were their specialty. Even a pile of shit like Blood 2 had some knewl locations.
Condemned: Criminal Origins, though made for Xbox360, was quite atmospheric and enjoyable and is worth playing. The sequel might be too, but it was never ported to the PC.

Goldschmidt

Learned
F.E.A.R. was my last Monolith game, but in their hey day interesting environments were their specialty. Even a pile of shit like Blood 2 had some knewl locations.
Condemned: Criminal Origins, though made for Xbox360, was quite atmospheric and enjoyable and is worth playing. The sequel might be too, but it was never ported to the PC.

The original is better than the sequel. I own the original on pc and played the second installment elsewhere. For a console port, it was really decent. They should bring Condemned to GOG.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Even a pile of shit like Blood 2 had some knewl locations.
Blood 2 kicks ass all around, the only reason people didn't like it was because they couldn't cope with not gitting gud at the game. It's fucking crazy that the game was released just one year after the first game.
I remember barely anything from F.E.A.R. 2.
Getting raped by a ghost was pretty memorable, but it just wasn't as good as the first game. Shooting got worse as well as graphic crispness.
One of the goals with Selaco is to develop a good character. The gameplay video takes place in one of the earlier levels where Dawn is still accepting the terrible situation she has gotten herself in. While she is more than capable of fighting back due to her past, she does not like not being here at all and it's taking a toll on her. As the game progresses, her behavior becomes less 'timid' and turns more aggressive instead. This is also where more enemies start to spawn, so the progression of her becoming more aggressive flows naturally. I hope you will give it a chance and see what we are going for. Selaco is not as fast as Doom, but it's not exactly slow either. Playtesters never thought her personality felt out of place and in fact feel like its a perfect fit. Dawn is not timid, but she aint Duke Nukem or Shelly Harrison either. She's her own character who takes zero inspiration from either of them.
Aight, let me tell you what the real problem is with the character design: she's fucking boring. I know you want to brush this off as woman hating or something, but I fucking love women. Love fucking women, especially JAPs. If you made her less of a plain Jane there'd be less complaining. Make her thicc and diverse, slap an eyepatch or a bandage on her, I don't know, she's just too bland right now. The three build engine games that were character shooters were all homages to movie genres and that's why people remember them.

Here's a good test to see if you got something good going: ask someone with poor drawing skills to paint your character in ms paint, if they can make something that you recognize as that character and no one else then you have succeeded in at least making it distinct.

lightbane

Arcane
Ever played Iji? That game had a female protagonist who could go from timid to berserk if you killed enough people, and it had sort of C&C that the Codex loves.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Blood 2 kicks ass all around, the only reason people didn't like it was because they couldn't cope with not gitting gud at the game. It's fucking crazy that the game was released just one year after the first game.

Paging DraQ to look at the monstrum we got there

You are the most peculiar specimen I've ever seen, the first man ever to defend Blood 2. Is this the birth of a new type of contrarianism?

(Yes, I played Blood 2 and expansion. Yes, it's one of the worst shooters ever made with no redeeming feature whatsoever, and it's not even "git gud").

Ever played Iji? That game had a female protagonist who could go from timid to berserk if you killed enough people, and it had sort of C&C that the Codex loves.

Iji is great. But 2008, like, another age. Also it's not exactly a triumph in "strikingly and well designed female character" from an art point of view, but the underlying game is for sure something. Back then, at least.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Hey, that's not true. The environments and the soundtrack were kind of cool.

My first play through of Blood2 was in the glorious era of pirate releases with cut soundtrack (to save space! Ahh, great times) so I could enjoy the game properly with no music distracting me.

There are postmortems about the reasons of Blood2's failure: but seriously, it's already a shit-tier game with all the jank of an early LithTech (it's almost as bad as SHOGO but SHOGO at least has mecha sections) but as a sequel to Blood we get near heresy apostasy. I'd argue that fucking Nightmare Child makes for a better Blood game than Blood 2.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It was jenky though.

NOLF was a fucking masterpiece though so it wasn't an issue with the engine.

Pound Meat

Prophet
I remember barely anything from F.E.A.R. 2. I guess one thing you could call an improvement was that environments were more varied and colourful but even then the downside was that they very much felt like setpieces whereas there was some sense of progressing thru believable, organically connected environment in the first game.

I remember the naked Angelina Jolie lookalike who kept popping up to tempt me with her forbidden valley, then she had sex with my virtual avatar without my consent and made it the greatest game ever. Killing off Stokes was a tard move, though.

Edit:

Hurry up and let me preorder this masterpiece!

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Nigga what are you talking about, SHOGO was fucking great!

The on-foot sections of SHOGO are almost on par with Blood 2. Terrible level design, shit-tier enemies, weirdo spawns, clunky as hell. I was surprised as hell when I replayed it a few years ago, it aged terribly.

Mecha sections were fine.

NOLF was a fucking masterpiece though so it wasn't an issue with the engine.

When even Lyric Suite is right, we're closing in on the End Times.

Riskbreaker

Don't forget Shogo's bizarre critical hit mechanic. It doesn't impact the mech sections as much due to your yuge health pool but in on-foot sections it meant that you could go from nearly full HP to dead in one random hit from any random enemy. And they were all hitscans, of course. Higher difficulty was basically savescum central due to that one piece of genius game design.
Still, a decent game unlike Blood 2 which is pretty much unsalvageable.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I played Shogo on hard, and the critical hits made for completely brain-dead gameplay where you just stun-lock every enemy with the assault rifle and instantly lose and recover all your health from said critical hits. The game's shitty DeviantArt anime style also looks much worse than Blood 2. I guess overall it's slightly better just for not reusing levels, but they're both shit games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom