Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Selaco - A Doom engine FPS inspired by FEAR and the classics - coming to Early Access in May

Ash

Arcane
And the worst part is that while I want to take the moral high ground and explain how modern games are garbage, I know that it's my brain and my jaded ass that can't ever see games with the fresh bright eyes that I could nearly 25-30 years ago.

Are you trying to say the vast majority of modern games aren't garbage? If so, fuck you. This industry sold out faster than the Afghan Military.

Lemming42

Arcane
Pretty cool, very reminiscent of the forgotten game Eradicator. I assume it'll play pretty similarly, which is to say third person will be unuseable from a gameplay standpoint but will still be a fun novelty.

Tangentially related but does anyone have an index of all the new FPS games in development? There's like a fucking hundred at this point, there's no way to keep track of all this.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I assume it'll play pretty similarly, which is to say third person will be unuseable from a gameplay standpoint but will still be a fun novelty.

I don't know what you are talking about, i always played Eradicator with the catwoman in third person :-P.

Nexxtic

Arcane
Developer
which is to say third person will be unuseable from a gameplay standpoint but will still be a fun novelty.

This. The main reason we are adding character sprites is so that the player character is properly shown in front of mirrors, camera feeds and what not. If you already have that going, including a third person mode gets very easy.

I do want to explore it further at some point but that will probably be post-launch. An RE4 style over-the-shoulder camera would be really cool to have at some point!

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Personally i never liked these off-sided cameras, i want my character to be at the center of the screen with equal distance from the left and right edges. I kinda got used to it nowadays (though i still find it off-putting) but for years i felt physically uncomfortable, trying to reorient myself, with the character at the side as a constant (especially when the camera rotates around the character which again isn't centered) where i couldn't focus in either the center (because i was getting always distracted by the character and their motion) or the character (because the focus of action was at the center of the screen).

Riskbreaker

which is to say third person will be unuseable from a gameplay standpoint but will still be a fun novelty.

This. The main reason we are adding character sprites is so that the player character is properly shown in front of mirrors, camera feeds and what not. If you already have that going, including a third person mode gets very easy.

I do want to explore it further at some point but that will probably be post-launch. An RE4 style over-the-shoulder camera would be really cool to have at some point!
Functional third person mode would doubtlessly increase the emotional investment: your players would be more likely to care for Dawn and to care more intensely than they would otherwise, desiring to protect her, hug her, tell her that everything will be fine and that they'll always be there for her and so on and so forth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik

You gotta consider that third person view more closely. Right now the game is just yet another boomer shooter among many. Having a third person view will make it more distinct from the crowd; may add some gimmicks as well.

In case people will hate it classic first-person mode should be retained as the legacy mode

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ha, actually what it reminds me most of is a forgotten gem in the rough called DS9: The Fallen. One of the best Star Trek games ever, it was a third person type exploration/combat/puzzle solving game.

I like it when games offer a choice to mix up first and third person, they both have a place and it's great to be able to switch between the two at will.

Machocruz

Arcane
I'm interested in this, but can we turn off the text that keeps popping up? I don't need to be told that I'm in The Lobby, or that the automap has been updated, or that I got some kill achievement, or that I acquired a weapon, which is obvious. It's the kind of unnecessary, tacky modern game wank I loathe, and it's counter to "FEAR," "the classics," and "an immersive game world."

toughasnails

I'm interested in this, but can we turn off the text that keeps popping up? I don't need to be told that I'm in The Lobby, or that the automap has been updated, or that I got some kill achievement, or that I acquired a weapon, which is obvious. It's the kind of unnecessary, tacky modern game wank I loathe, and it's counter to "FEAR," "the classics," and "an immersive game world."

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Agreed. Just make a window that keeps tabs on all that stuff, and bind it to the tab key to boot.

geno

Savant
We've shown F.E.A.R. inspired combat on GZDoom before and lately we've managed to improve AI further. Selaco now uses a Response System which allows soldiers to respond to callouts.

We cannot wait to get a demo out there soon. Watch this space!

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
We've shown F.E.A.R. inspired combat on GZDoom before and lately we've managed to improve AI further. Selaco now uses a Response System which allows soldiers to respond to callouts.

We cannot wait to get a demo out there soon. Watch this space!

Bro, this got me hard.

Games take time to make. Deal with it.

Take all the time you need. Added this to my list.

Btan0

Literate
Is the game playable when pop-ups and objective markers are disabled? I ask this because Dishonoured had the option to disable objective markers. In the first assassination contract you do, if you knock the target unconscious there is an option to leave his body inside a dumpster and he'll be taken away by the rebels for interrogation, or whatever. The problem is that there is absolutely no indication as to which dumpster you're supposed to leave him in unless the objective marker option is enabled. They solely relied on HUD elements to direct the player. How will you circumvent this issue? Have you designed the game with this in mind? Will there be a notebook/objective screen I can quickly open, or will I have to break my immersion by opening the menu and enabling/disabling the pop-ups constantly?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom