Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Hi Joe. I think I recall somewhere you said you might be putting in (Steam) achievements? It may have been on Steam. There are people who buy games if they have achievements. Is this still on the cards?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Whalenought_Joe Would it be possible to add switchable setting for scaling to the settings menu? it'd be pretty handy so the players wouldn't have to play with the window size to get optimal scaling.

We could look into that for a future update, not sure if that would have any repercussions — you'd like just fixed size options along with the current manual scaling window? In the interim you could fullscreen and change resolution to stick with one you'd want in particular — there's 1x,2x and 3x scaling to jump between, though that's sort of a pain. The point of that was to allow players to choose their optimal size manually.

Yeah, I'd like to have option for to force the scaling from the settings-menu, such as to run the game on 1920x1200 with 2x scaling.

Whalenought_Joe One of the merchants, Vlad in Orfs Bridge has gotten stuck, he doesn't move and I can't start conversation with him, when I click it with the cursor (it changes to one when I could start conversation) my characters just moves next to it but nothing happens. Is there anyway, like console command or editing save files to reset it?

Weird, we haven't had this happen before — merchants or dialogue hadn't changed in the last two updates either. Are other merchants working, or did something in the area happen to him that could have triggered his unresponsiveness (combat, enemy sighting)? I think he was just a random merchant so I know he didn't have any particular dialogue branches or anything.

I noticed the NPC being stuck on the second time I visited the map, and I don't remember what could've happened in the first time. I think it could've been that I went to talk with the merchant, and while I was in the dialogue window/screen, the guard automatically interrupts me to check my papers. Can't think of anything else what could've happened.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Did anyone finished the Fuldea Mare Lumber Yards? Do I have to fight everyone, to get the clue for the final puzzle or can I do it without it?

Let's hope that with the expansion they will halve the loading times because I died\die a lot of times in this game. Beside, for the graphic it has I can't be bothered waiting 2 minutes and 15 seconds to make it load, only because I've got a 10 years old quad core and a geforce 8400 gt with 8 gb ram.

Falksi

Arcane
Just starting this up now, intro & starting section has drawn me in big time! Superbly atmospheric.

It's a bit overwhelming in terms of races & setup etc. but on we go.

Falksi

Arcane
I've not even experienced combat yet, but I'm gobsmacked at how drwan in I am. The whole vibe & originality is just fucking lush.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
you are easily impressed

It's just got "it", the X factor, the vibe which hits my spot. We'll see if it lasts after the combat, but it's just so refreshing to play something which nails all the atmospheric stuff & feels fresh too.
:salute:

Don't understimate the use of skills and spells on the world around you. There is a lot of hidden stuff.

Falksi

Arcane
you are easily impressed

It's just got "it", the X factor, the vibe which hits my spot. We'll see if it lasts after the combat, but it's just so refreshing to play something which nails all the atmospheric stuff & feels fresh too.
:salute:

Don't understimate the use of skills and spells on the world around you. There is a lot of hidden stuff.

Any minor spoiler examples chap?

I've just been fighting my first batch or creatures & wasted some bandits too. Really enjoying the combat too. Nothing spectacular, but steady enough for early game, and some interesting spells :)

And the music is fucking mint.

Last edited:
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The game rewards thinking, trial and error and investment in the proper skills. For instance,

If you have woodwise you will notice the presence of fairies in some flowers. Use parasitic orb(?) in them to reveal a fairy. If you eat them, you gain one additional point in one of your stats.
There is still a bunch of stuff I don't know because I was waiting for more patchs. I'm saving the rest of the game for later like a old whiskey.

Falksi

Arcane
The game rewards thinking, trial and error and investment in the proper skills. For instance,

If you have woodwise you will notice the presence of fairies in some flowers. Use parasitic orb(?) in them to reveal a fairy. If you eat them, you gain one additional point in one of your stats.
There is still a bunch of stuff I don't know because I was waiting for more patchs. I'm saving the rest of the game for later like a old whiskey.

Nicely, did the first half of that but didn't use the spell to reveal them. This game has me well hooked so far.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Falksi read the Moon Lord's book, or whatever it's called, asap. It's on Whalenought's site and is very much in the style of old manuals and lore pieces inside the 'box' that are intended to be read to inform gameplay.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Did anyone finished the Fuldea Mare Lumber Yards? Do I have to fight everyone, to get the clue for the final puzzle or can I do it without it?

You have to complete the lumber yards to trigger the final confrontation later. Fairly sure killing ANYONE there is a trigger for the bad ending. It's also impossible to get through without killing anyone unless you resort to extreme cheese.

Enjoy!

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
You have to complete the lumber yards to trigger the final confrontation later. Fairly sure killing ANYONE there is a trigger for the bad ending. It's also impossible to get through without killing anyone unless you resort to extreme cheese.

Enjoy!

Welll ... shit. Guess I have to be creative!

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
I can't recruit Serafim, does he have some requirements or tricks required?

You need max nobility. He comes with max Harbinger though, and is a fairly beefy melee tank.

This isn't true at all. The game gives you every spell as long as you meet the stat reqs, so you can literally do everything without really planning for it. Those aptitudes only very rarely matter.

With attack skills, you can equip 3, but you only get 2 points per level. Since a high level skill is worth more than a low level one, the ideal setup for everyone is to pick two skills and max them.

Also with spells you can't ever cast more than 1 at a time, so the utility of having more than one main spell is limited. The heat weapon spell is okay, and the light-ray spell. I used Eclipse for most of the game.

Reckless offense + Poison weapon will win the whole game for you. Add some casters spamming Eclipse and that's it, every combat won.

Not a very complex or deep system to be sure.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Welll ... shit. Guess I have to be creative!

Don't worry, you probably already fucked up and locked in the bad ending by:

-Soul-binding anyone
-Creating your own party members
-Helping the natives
-Stopping the natives from committing genocide
-Fighting evil warlords bent on subjugating the land under an iron fist
-Fighting back whenever you were attacked, in a game with no stealth and where diplomacy is almost never an option

V_K

Arcane
in a game with no stealth
There's that bat spell.
Don't worry, you probably already fucked up and locked in the bad ending by:

-Soul-binding anyone
-Helping the natives
-Stopping the natives from committing genocide
-Fighting evil warlords bent on subjugating the land under an iron fist
I never got very far, because combat is such a chore, but seriously, is it that bad?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I remember, I used book and its commands to steal arbiter's armor. When I killed them, I looted same set. :negative:

Also, I have met some adventurers, they can be confronted and had whip. I left them for later because I don't know if I ruin something if kill them.

Whait, what? I know if you suck stats from party members it's bad. So I created another me, and sucked stat points from them - I though I was clever guy!

V_K

Arcane

Whait, what? I know if you suck stats from party members it's bad. So I created another me, and sucked stat points from them - I though I was clever guy!
Yes, I'm also curious about that point. Grampy_Bone, care to share a spoiler on what's the in-game reasoning for that (and maybe for other points you listed, if you feel like it)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom