Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
People would like it more if it was turn based

Deleted Member 16721

The irony is that most people here claim to be hardcore RPG enthusiasts but would rather play PoE in a flash than SitS. And that's a damn shame.

I love how in SitS your journal is you actually taking notes. Great feature. And the small numbers and itemization is pure incline. The game itself is pure incline, it's remarkable it went unheralded and also a damn shame. Play this game now people, once you get past the somewhat challenging start (think Baldur's Gate 1) and you use your brain you are in for a great ride. 13 hours deep and plan on playing to completion. Buy it now!

Deleted Member 16721

I also love how you can select 3 combat abilities for your melee characters and they use them automatically. Less micromanaging. Only micromanaging I've done in combat so far is casting Incantations/curses and a spell here or there. Streamlines the process nicely as I don't care as much for RTWP with active melee abilities having to be constantly used. Just use the damn things on your own, sheesh.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The irony is that most people here claim to be hardcore RPG enthusiasts but would rather play PoE in a flash than SitS.

True "hardcore RPG enthusiasts" play neither, obviously :obviously:

I also love how you can select 3 combat abilities for your melee characters and they use them automatically. Less micromanaging. Only micromanaging I've done in combat so far is casting Incantations/curses and a spell here or there. Streamlines the process nicely as I don't care as much for RTWP with active melee abilities having to be constantly used. Just use the damn things on your own, sheesh.

This might be part of the reason the game hasn't been heralded as pure incline. I'm pretty sure most codexers definition of incline doesn't include phrases like "melees use attacks automatically", "all I do is use a spell here and there" or RTWP...

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
True "hardcore RPG enthusiasts" play neither, obviously :obviously:

What is a true hardcore. That was the point being discussed. If you have nothing to add in terms of reasoning then you have said nothing.

This might be part of the reason the game hasn't been heralded as pure incline. I'm pretty sure most codexers definition of incline doesn't include phrases like "melees use attacks automatically", "all I do is use a spell here and there" or RTWP...

The game apes the AD&D RTwP games made in the Infinity Engine, just with an entirely different ruleset and lore, to which melee didn't use active skills in those games either. Fluent also isn't explaining it very well, because the melee units do have specific skills they can train in, making melee more indepth than the IE example, with things like Knockdown etc. I'm not sure "automatically" is the right terminology at all without a more coherent explanation, which I've forgotten for the moment, it was, what, three years ago? And likewise, it's not just "a spell here and there", you're just pouncing on poor wording.

If you're passionate about hating on RTwP then that's everything you need to say really & a thread of its own anyway. Oh, it's the codex, it's twenty megathreads full of people arguing the same points over and again like its a football match. When we all know it's not the method used, it's the quality of the game beneath the method that counts, just a shame you need to keep repeating your chant ad-nauseum like it's a badge of honour. Gets so fucking boring...

Deleted Member 16721

Incline in RTWP to me does not always mean having many melee abilities that you constantly trigger. That can be boredom. But you can train each character's "War Book" skills and give them 3 actives ones which they will use on their own, but you can change which ones you want them to use. Casting Incantations requires writing actual curse words in your book of curses, with a prefix, suffix and target name. Very high incline. Then casting spells is done manually when you want in combat. It's a very good system that feels like 2nd Edition AD&D but has much more depth and choices in the melee department. The magic schools are also unique and do interesting effects, and you'll always find something good to invest in whether it's War Book skills or Aptitudes, etc..

Gunnar

Arbiter
Any advices about playing as a mage?

Basically, you want to decide what spells you are going to specialize in and then pump the relevant attribute (So either be an occult mage or an intelligence mage)

If you make an intelligence mage you can put all skill points into the 3rd tier spell 'Planar Jump' which is so powerful it's all you'll need to easily win any combat without taking a scratch. Pump intelligence and casting speed as high as possible and get a linking wand to boost the damage further. I used a bow (fastest ranged attack) + arcane attack (which stacks intelligence bonus damage) for the points I had left over, but Planar Jump is so powerful it doesn't matter where you put the rest of the points.

Goromorg

Savant
Any advices about playing as a mage?
For protagonist I maxed Occultism and Nobility, Linguistics, Philosophy. The rest of skill points I put into Eclipse spell.
Another mage I had maxed Intelligence, Amplify spell and aptitudes that main char didn't cover.
Also I had a fighter with a fast leaf sword, Concentration, Reckless offence and Agile fighting passive skills. I buffed him with eclipse and amplify and he turned into a slaughter machine which healed my entire party with each stike.

Deleted Member 16721

Favorite aspects so far:

Hand-written journal with your own notes, no automatic entries.
Combat, satisfying RTWP.
Aptitudes, cool addition to the RPG side of things to interact with people and things in a unique way. Love Linguistics and speaking curses.
The skills and spells. Lots of variety and interesting things to choose.
The setting, unique Transylvania type vibe but feels like 2nd Edition D&D.
The writing, very good overall.
The exploration, also quite good and rewarding, good dungeon design.

Deleted Member 16721

How does one rife through pockets with Linguistics? I cast 'vrosk rife *insert name here*' and it says I pickpocketed the character and a flashing arrows appear above their head. But I can't seem to get any items or know what to do after I've cast the curse. How does this work?

Goromorg

Savant
Some characters do not have anything, while some (like merchants) can be pickpocketed multiple times.

Gunnar

Arbiter
How does one rife through pockets with Linguistics? I cast 'vrosk rife *insert name here*' and it says I pickpocketed the character and a flashing arrows appear above their head. But I can't seem to get any items or know what to do after I've cast the curse. How does this work?

There's nothing more to it. The item just appears in your inventory. The problem is that it doesn't tell you what item you just got, and it could be a stackable item you already have in your inventory. Hard to tell what you just got when you went from 8 --> 9 light heal pots. I wrote a bit about this a couple pages back. The best targets are arbiters and the hunter in the starting shrine.

Falksi

Arcane
Yo this is starting off really well. Hitting several high notes (for me) almost immediately. It's pretty well suited for the October vibe too.

It did for me, I loved it. The intro and setup is fucking lush, had me hooked in line and sinker.

But sadly the game itself lacked once it got rolling. Loads of great elements which didn't work as a whole due to questionable design choices.

The combat is flat out shite, with magic being reduced to nothing more than a buffathon.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Yeah it has such a great start, I was so curious about the game world, wanted to devour as much info as possible and explore that big juicy map. But sadly you realize there's nothing really behind the curtain. Peters out pretty fast and some things are just broken. Still, worth taking for a spin.

Geckabor

Savant
Yeah, the game sounds promising, but sadly that's all there is to it. Fun fact: It didn't even get a single vote in the RPG Codex Top 101 RPGs list... and 221 games received votes.

Yeah, the game sounds promising, but sadly that's all there is to it. Fun fact: It didn't even get a single vote in the RPG Codex Top 101 RPGs list... and 221 games received votes.
Well i dunno. These are the same shitheads who voted AoD one of the top ten RPGs of all time, so i'm not putting much stock into 'votes' per se. But yeah, the game sadly does falter quite a bit.

hell bovine

Arcane
What I've liked about the game was that it's quite difficult to achieve the 'good' ending; the 'bad' ending is the default one. And the setting, of course.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What I've liked about the game was that it's quite difficult to achieve the 'good' ending; the 'bad' ending is the default one. And the setting, of course.
Idea was excellent, implementation - poor. You can nicely sum up whole game with this sentence when I think 'bout it.

Falksi

Arcane
:necro:

Gonna have to give this another go. Will be my 3rd attempt to progress it, but the flavour which it has is just fucking lush. Pussy-sweet.

Has anyone out there actually completed it or thereabouts? And if so any tips to make it as enjoyable as possible?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom