Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Servo's Console Experience

Servo

Arcane
My bro came over to play some games the other night. He actually brought his Xbawks to play CoD but I insisted we play something else. So we sat down to play Lara Croft: GoL on my PS3 (it's kinda fun, so shoot me). The game froze because of hard drive stuttering. Same problem with Hard Corps: Uprising. Damn. So we tried to play Dishonored, which had to install to the hard drive (I still haven't played it). This took about 20 minutes. So we decided to play CoD anyways, but he couldn't sign into his Xbawks account. So we played single player CoD, but we weren't able to save our progress because his Xbawks doesn't have a hard drive. Moral of the story: Games suck now.

Remember when games were toys and you could just play with them?

My bro came over to play some games the other night. He actually brought his Xbawks to play CoD but I insisted we play something else. So we sat down to play Lara Croft: GoL on my PS3 (it's kinda fun, so shoot me). The game froze because of hard drive stuttering. Same problem with Hard Corps: Uprising. Damn. So we tried to play Dishonored, which had to install to the hard drive (I still haven't played it). This took about 20 minutes. So we decided to play CoD anyways, but he couldn't sign into his Xbawks account. So we played single player CoD, but we weren't able to save our progress because his Xbawks doesn't have a hard drive. Moral of the story: Games suck now.

Remember when games were toys and you could just play with them?

Sounds like the hard drive is fucked. Games may be shit now but they always needed you to have the hardware in working conditions

Servo

Arcane
Sounds like the hard drive is fucked. Games may be shit now but they always needed you to have the hardware in working conditions

True I guess but the entry requirements have never been as high as they are now. It's not like I abuse my hardware either - my NES still works and it's never had a problem. That goes for my N64 and Gameboy as well. But maybe I should have said the point is consoles suck now, even though games also suck now.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt

True I guess but the entry requirements have never been as high as they are now. It's not like I abuse my hardware either - my NES still works and it's never had a problem. That goes for my N64 and Gameboy as well. But maybe I should have said the point is consoles suck now, even though games also suck now.
Fixed.

Servo

Arcane

Fixed.

Whatever, but I wouldn't trade my golden years with Zelda, Mega Man, etc. Could have done without everything post SNES though.

Edit: But if I weren't a consoletard I would've missed Demon's Souls.

Servo

Arcane
:lol:

Oh and by the way, Nintendo is possibly worse than Sony or Microsoft as far as creating barriers to playing games goes. It took about an hour after setting up the Wii U before we were able to play Mario. And even now it's constantly bombarding whoever is playing with "helpful" messages, like game saving, power saving and update notifications, and reminders to subscribe to emails from Nintendo and shit.

I say possibly because I don't own PS4 or Xbone.

Edit: I forgot it also constantly asks you to tweet what you've been up to.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Whatever, but I wouldn't trade my golden years with Zelda, Mega Man, etc. Could have done without everything post SNES though.

Edit: But if I weren't a consoletard I would've missed Demon's Souls.
I meant it as a joke, didn't mean to sound edgy; it's just that consoles have never been my thing since I preferred RTS and TBS games. I never owned a gaming console, but played a few times when visiting friends, so I'll admit that it can be nice to have one at a party.

Servo

Arcane
GR is one of my favorite games, though, and I miss that style of gameplay dearly.

How is GR different from RS? I remember playing the first one and thinking it was pretty sweet but couldn't play because it was too awesome for my Gateway.

I never owned a gaming console, but played a few times when visiting friends, so I'll admit that it can be nice to have one at a party.

It's also nice to have one when you sit at a computer desk all week and want to sit on the couch to play games. Also no offense taken.

dickweed

Nintendo is pretty far (or was?) behind on having a central username through which you can access all your purchased titles. Everything is parsed out between their systems which is very anti-consumer. I'm sure it works though as Nintendo does sell to a very particular demographic.

Alongside the "friend codes" thing, I guess it's for kid's protection during online play.

:lol:

Oh and by the way, Nintendo is possibly worse than Sony or Microsoft as far as creating barriers to playing games goes. It took about an hour after setting up the Wii U before we were able to play Mario. And even now it's constantly bombarding whoever is playing with "helpful" messages, like game saving, power saving and update notifications, and reminders to subscribe to emails from Nintendo and shit.

I say possibly because I don't own PS4 or Xbone.

Edit: I forgot it also constantly asks you to tweet what you've been up to.

You sure you can't turn those off? For example, the "post your progress" thing can.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii-u/632934-new-super-mario-bros-u/answers?qid=339657

Lemming42

Arcane
I play console games whenever I'm at my friend's house, mainly because he has a bunch of fighting games like DoA and Mortal Kombat and those are best played by two people with controllers.

I would never own a console myself, simply because the PC is just better for reasons that everyone here already knows. I think the last console I actually bought was the original Xbox, which I have some fond memories of. That was back before multiplatforming was a huge thing, though, so there was actually a reason to own it and play shit like Blinx The Timesweeper and Fusion Frenzy.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I play console games whenever I'm at my friend's house, mainly because he has a bunch of fighting games like DoA and Mortal Kombat and those are best played by two people with controllers.

I would never own a console myself, simply because the PC is just better for reasons that everyone here already knows. I think the last console I actually bought was the original Xbox, which I have some fond memories of. That was back before multiplatforming was a huge thing, though, so there was actually a reason to own it and play shit like Blinx The Timesweeper and Fusion Frenzy.

That hardly makes sense as you can get any of the old systems for <=$50 and 360 is probably around $100 (not sure, I got one in 2012 for a little more than that). And most of them have good enough libraries where you will find at least a few games that catch your fancy

Servo

Arcane
What the fuck? Half of the things I said in the Steam thread don't make sense out of that context, like:

GR is one of my favorite games, though, and I miss that style of gameplay dearly.

How is GR different from RS? I remember playing the first one and thinking it was pretty sweet but couldn't play because it was too awesome for my Gateway.

and

Consider me sold, you damn shill.

My brother. Nice try at being a jerkass though.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
What the fuck? Half of the things I said in the Steam thread don't make sense out of that context, like:

and

Consider me sold, you damn shill.
That first post wasn't one I'd move personally, since yeah half of it was actually related. The rest though? Not so much.

STOP DERAILING THE 800 PAGE THREAD ABOUT GENERIC GAME STUFF WITH YOUR GENERIC GAME STUFF, YOU MONGO
The steam sale thread is about steam sales and the games on sale. It isn't about OMG CONSOLE TROUBLESHOOTING ALSO WHICH CONSOLE IS BETTER. A good dozen or so posts solely about console crap and not even a single tangential mention of the games on sale (The only exceptions being the two posts Servo quotes right here). If you're going to say that stuff belongs in a Steam sale thread, we might as well do away with threads altogether and toss every post in the subforum into one giant thread about everything that falls under the 'general gaming' umbrella. I'm defending the legacy of Multi-Headed Cow and Bruticis here, the defilement of the steam sale thread is what caused their tragic demise.

Also the steam sale thread is only a bit over 500 pages long.

Keldryn

Arcane
It's also nice to have one when you sit at a computer desk all week and want to sit on the couch to play games.

That's why most of my gaming for the past decade has been on consoles. I still worship at the altar of Fallout, Ultima, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate II, Wing Commander, Master of Orion, Civilization, etc, but I enjoy many console games nearly as much.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
It's also nice to have one when you sit at a computer desk all week and want to sit on the couch to play games.

That's why most of my gaming for the past decade has been on consoles. I still worship at the altar of Fallout, Ultima, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate II, Wing Commander, Master of Orion, Civilization, etc, but I enjoy many console games nearly as much.
I'm like the opposite, but I'm also a computer addict so enh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom