Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow of the Road - turn-based RPG set in feudal Japan invaded by British steampunk machines

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://shadowoftheroad.anotherangle.games

ss_e2bb6e1ff3c913d5439646fe80d09b455975b9ed.jpg

ss_4e9e5c62378857a74873321f56ef35615add6644.jpg

From Polish studio named Another Angle Games.

The boshin war is tearing Japan apart. Followers of the Emperor constantly face the forces of the shogunate in brutal battles. No side wants to surrender, both fighting not only for power, but also for something greater and much more important - for a place in history. The stakes have never been this high. You can feel the tension in the air; the restlessness, the weight of the entire conflict, the resolve of both sides to see things through to the very end. But not everything is as it seems and it's not just humans that want to secure their place on this land.

During the commotion, a ronin known by the name of Satoru is left hopeless and disgraced by the fall of his master, Mochitsugu. Without a master and no reason to fight, it seems like he no longer has a place in this world. However, it all changes when a certain young boy crosses his path, suddenly surprising him with a crossroad he never assumed he would have to face.

Join Satoru and a few other outcasts during the battle for peace, for power; decide what road they should take. But be warned - selecting one does not mean that the shadows of another won’t try to follow you.

This turn-based RPG will bring you to the world of Japan right at the downfall of the feudal era and will let you test your skills against enemies that are clearly human, but also those that somehow escape such an easy classification. What’s more, the Emperor is supported by East Nippon Company, a British trade conglomerate with unclearly intentions, equipped with powerful steam-powered machines wreaking havoc among the forces of the shogunate. Will you be able to overcome all the obstacles thrown your way? Or will you give in and choose the easy way out?

Create your own path by making multiple decisions that will eventually influence the outcome of this immersive story - stay true to yourself and your principles or choose a darker path of sacrifice for your own gains. Haunt or be haunted. Overcome the shadows or let them consume you. The choice is yours, as it has always been - even if you can’t comprehend it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems the announcement trailer was removed from the game's Steam page. On the other hand, they uploaded this to their YouTube channel last month:

From Facebook:

And there's a Discord channel too: https://discord.gg/5mKnFr3

Last edited:
From what little is shown here, it looks like it's worth watching. The steampunk tachicomas/scorpitron is really jarring though.

Modron

Arcane
Granted from reading the description it seems more like a mission based tactical game than grpg material but any tactics game with ap system is an incline starting position.

Tigranes

Arcane
"What if 18/19th century European obsession with automata came true and then invaded Japan?" = fucking awesome, though the screenshots aren't particularly appealing. Does everybody have to do this RED SAMURAI INK BRUSH SO JAPAN FONT thing everywhere

100 years before the Boshin War, but please let it feature a gigantic working version of the historical Vaucanson's duck, which achieved international fame as a marvellous mechanical approximation of a real duck that would eat food and then defecate

vaucanson2.jpeg

...before vaucanson died and they opened the duck up and found it had a slot for pre-depositing shit into the duck

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New video on the Steam page:

**Pre-alpha gameplay. Does not represent final quality.**

This turn-based RPG brings you to the dusk of Japanese feudal era and lets you test your skills against multiple enemies of different origin. Create your own path by making multiple decisions that will eventually influence the outcome of this immersive story.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
I really hope those animations can be sped up so you're not stuck with attacking three times per minute.

J1M

Arcane
Unless you can play as good British robots bringing civilisation, prosperity and reason to unwashed evil japanese masses of coloured savages I'm not interested.
Came here to say the same thing.

I can't rationally explain it, particularly given the monk summoning the drider, but that steampunk tachikoma just looks so out of place.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seems to have good production values.
Also weird but interesting setting combo

"What if 18/19th century European obsession with automata came true and then invaded Japan?" = fucking awesome, though the screenshots aren't particularly appealing. Does everybody have to do this RED SAMURAI INK BRUSH SO JAPAN FONT thing everywhere

100 years before the Boshin War, but please let it feature a gigantic working version of the historical Vaucanson's duck, which achieved international fame as a marvellous mechanical approximation of a real duck that would eat food and then defecate

vaucanson2.jpeg

...before vaucanson died and they opened the duck up and found it had a slot for pre-depositing shit into the duck

Let us not give any more credence to a video game that is on the high end of faggotry.

Brainlet2

Educated
It has everything I love, tb combat, giant robots, katanas and waifus. I just hope its released before I die

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom