Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow of the Road - turn-based RPG set in feudal Japan invaded by British steampunk machines

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
The Beautiful World of Shadow of the Road
a9488f261184aadfedbac9b587c9f6c736bebe11.png

Hello, Warriors!

It's nice to be writing to you again! Firstly, we are grateful for your support and continuous feedback. We truly appreciate your patience as we worked through each step of the development process. We’re getting closer!

Today we'll delve into a crucial aspect of Shadow of the Road - the environment. We're well aware of its significance in turn-based RPGs, and it's a paramount element in our game as well.

Beautiful World

As the game is set in Japan, during the fall of the Empire's feudal era in 1868, the surroundings are reminiscent of the 19th-century Land of the Rising Sun. To create an environment that truly captures it, we had to dig through loads of pics from back then.

Luckily, some photos have survived the passage of time. We found pictures of rich people, villagers in their settlements, ports, markets, bridges, and even abandoned castles… But we didn't stop there – we also checked out artwork from earlier times, showing how they built temporary fortifications!

6a6ad83f4c753cb05ceb59b206a7a00ccc17a0c2.png

615cf46fc8b29065a72314d61cf80470797dcc62.png

Source: oldphotosjapan.com

And hey, we couldn't miss the opportunity to draw inspiration from legendary movies like Akira Kurosawa's "Ran" and the whole collection of "Rurouni Kenshin" movies by Keishi Otomo. Have you watched them?

Don't expect a monotonous environment!

Shadow of the Road will take you on a journey to diverse locations, ranging from underground cave systems to open meadows, from serene monasteries to dangerous forests. Each of them is very distinct from another. All offer diverse experience, opportunities, and atmosphere.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀   
giphy.gif

Keep in mind that the environment will influence the flow of combat. With such varied terrain, certain characters may gain advantage, and attacks that seem impossible in other settings, can suddenly be effortlessly executed. Adding to the immersion, some elements of the environment will be destructible, making every encounter more dynamic and engaging.

Speaking of that - we wrote more about utilizing the terrain in combat in our previous devlog, so if you haven't read it yet - we encourage you to catch up!

Seek and you shall find

Moreover, we didn't want our world to feel empty, so you'll come across numerous collectibles along the way. These items will significantly impact your characters. Moreover, you will be able to find shrines, providing a boost to your abilities too.

We believe that a true warrior must be vigilant, so keep your eyes wide open - not only to admire the beauty of the surrounding nature. We want to reward those who will stray from the beaten path while exploring the world of Shadow of the Road.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀     
giphy.gif

Stay tuned!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All Events > Shadow of the Road Events >

Tactical World of Shadow of the Road
We'd like to delve into the genesis of the idea...
4ca1fb2440b9b93a8dd6cfe731ca9521925da3a8.png

Warriors!
Hello again! In today's post we want to shed some light on the creative process behind Shadow of the Road and its evolution as a representative of the tactical RPG genre.

We'd like to delve into the genesis of the idea, our approach towards the environment, and the significance of skills. So, without further ado,
let’s see where it all started
!

Our passion for this genre runs deep…
…From hours spent battling in turn-based strategies to the immersive worlds of games like
Final Fantasy, X-COM, Unholy War, Front Mission, Temple of Elemental Evil, Etherlords
, and many more. Years ago, we used to play together some of the finest representatives of the genre – for example, the Fallout series (especially Fallout: Tactics).

One could say that the opportunity to create a world that would hold as much significance for players as in the titles we mentioned is almost like a dream come true. We’re sure that many of
you could understand it very well
!

Moving on!
Some time ago we mentioned the verticality of certain levels. It’s important, but that's not the only interesting aspect in the context of the environment! Soon you'll find special interactive zones that add depth to the gameplay and
maximize immersion

00fc87d03b93876adb1e5b91bce7b363d5c39249.png

For example - imagine scenarios where you're ablaze and
you can jump into the water
to extinguish the flames, or have the ability to ignite oil for strategic advantage. Sounds great, huh? We want the environment to be a backdrop to the narrative events and a part of them at the same time.

What about skills?
Skills are a cornerstone
of the tactical RPG genre, and it’s no different in our game. They're not just decorative – they shape the core of the gameplay. Our focus lies heavily on the tactical depth within them. Well, it’s safe to say that we have plenty of intriguing aspects planned, but we'll save those juicy details for future updates… ;)

63f106e1fedf2e538405502470c85e768de18c14.png

Certainly,
it's worth mentioning the Yokai system
, which will be almost a fundamental aspect for us. Summoning them to add a new dimension to battles will be something unique in the realm of other tactical RPG games. The system might share some similarities with Guardian Forces from Final Fantasy VIII, but there will be many more differences than resemblances. We can't wait to present it to you - you’ll love it!

More to come!
Before we wrap up, we want to extend a heartfelt thank you for sticking with us and supporting the whole development process. Your active participation in our journey is invaluable, and your passion fuels our dedication to
making Shadow of the Road the best it can be

To remain informed about our advancements in the game's environment and other components, we extend an invitation for you to connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, and Discord.

Stay tuned for more updates
, and remember – the road ahead is full of adventures and tactical brilliance!

Thank you once again
Another Angle Games

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Meet the Team - Sound Designer
Are you curious about who's behind the magical audio in Shadow of the Road?
69a63b5edc3c88749dc0b8de4e6287d53ee32fad.png

We've got a real treat for you today -
an interview with our sound designer
, Kostek Antonowicz (check out his Instagram)! Sound is of great importance to us, so we were looking for someone whose passion would allow us to translate it into the game.

Are you curious about who's behind the magical audio in Shadow of the Road? No need to beat around the bush - allow us to introduce...

Who are you?
Hey, I'm Kostek, I came to Earth to make some noise.

What are your responsibilities in the team working on Shadow of the Road?
I am responsible for audio. I create sound designs and implement them - first into Wwise and later into Unity. Additionally, I collaborate with a musician to create interactive music.

Which software do you use?
I use game engines like Unity or Unreal, and sound middleware like Fmod or Wwise. For sound creation, I use Cubase and Ableton.

How would you define “video game music”?
Video game music is the primary carrier of emotions. It's a universal language that doesn't require translation, allowing creators to shape how players perceive the game world and gameplay at any moment.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀    
giphy.gif

Full video on Kostek's Instagram

What role, in your opinion, does the music play in Shadow of the Road?
The music in Shadow of the Road, in addition to fulfilling basic requirements, places a strong emphasis on interactivity. For example, it incorporates changes in feelings and character of the music based on dialogue choices. It adapts as you explore the game world or encounter danger, creating a dynamic and immersive musical experience.

What guides you when creating the audio layer for Shadow of the Road?
When creating audio for Shadow of the Road, my primary focus is on the concept of immersion. I want players to navigate the game world not only through their eyes, but also through their ears. Sometimes, while walking along the path, you might hear something that catches your attention, or you might get startled by a sound and decide that you're not ready to go in that direction.

I have a deep appreciation for the ambient sounds of nature and previously nonexistent creatures in games, as they provide room for creativity and interpretation. I have the opportunity to work on all of this and more with Another Angle Games.

What sets the sound in Shadow of the Road apart from other games?
At a certain point, the audio in most games can be comparable. In Shadow of the Road, we placed a greater emphasis than usual on environmental sounds that allow for deeper immersion and the ability to differentiate areas. We are giving them a distinct audio character. Forests should feel mysterious, dense, and full of life, while other dimensions should sound demonic and ominous. The goal is to create a unique audio identity for each area.

What is the most challenging aspect of your job?
Finding the balance between individual sounds. On one hand, sounds need to be clear and attention-grabbing, but on the other, there are times when audio should step back and make room for something else. I also strive to find unconventional solutions to make sure that the designs, even if they are abstract, are clear and intuitive for the player.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀   
giphy.gif

  
Full video on Kostek's Instagram

Which aspect of your work are you most proud of (at this stage)?
The most satisfying moment is when I can experience the game I've worked on from the perspective of a player. I feel proud that everything is cohesive, and I can spend a lot of time in the game just walking around and listening.

Why is it worth waiting for Shadow of the Road?
I had the opportunity to observe the team's dedication and the progress of development - there's no doubt that this title is going to be fantastic. It's a massive game being made with heart.

What is your favorite Yokai?
My favorite Yokai is Kazenbō, because sometimes when I'm hungry, I make a scene just like him. He's not threatening, but people are afraid of him. :D

Thank you!

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
119bc4fd0ec7073497c09f23726bf5a6a9ef3753.png

Samurai Warriors!

Recently, we treated you to an interview with our sound magician, and today we're bringing you a devlog straight from the heart of
our game development process
!

Have you ever heard of an initiative system? It's an incredibly vital component in many turn-based RPGs! And the situation is
no different in Shadow of the Road
, where it plays a fundamental role. In simple words - its primary task is to determine the order in which characters get to make their moves.

Let us share a bit of the history of
how this system has evolved in our game

In the past…

At first, we had a
very “XCOM-like” approach
where players could make moves with all characters in any order (and multiple times within their turn, using available action/movement points). In other words, the player would switch between characters, take actions, end their turn, and after that the game would switch to AI which would act similarly.

e2e05ad642dfe6ab8058466a810637d1592fb13c.png

We showcased this combat system
at PAX in 2020
. And while it served its purpose, we felt that our game needed something more… Something deeper! We needed a system that would allow players to anticipate enemy moves, analyze situations, and have full influence on what is happening on the battlefield!

So now!

The current iteration of the system
draws its inspiration from samurai battles
, where it's crucial to observe everything and make decisions that significantly impact the course of the clash.

The core of this mechanic revolves around character initiative.

All characters participating in the battle are
sorted based on their initiative values
and the one with the highest value starts the whole action. Default initiative values are predefined, but can change as the game develops. Several factors influence the status, such as an initiative penalty for taking damage and side effects.

1c290d04a129b29f061505642629f140dccdc40e.png

By introducing this system, we were able to incorporate
more combat mechanics
that enhance its depth.

The main innovation here is
delayed attacks
!

These attacks are more effective, but carry a risk of failure. A delayed attack is carried out as a new element on the timeline. So the character initiating it cannot move and automatically ends their turn. If they are attacked before executing the attack, it will be interrupted.

This system also operates in rounds, with
each unit making one move per round

Unfortunately…

Introduced changes also have some drawbacks that make this solution less than perfect. Notable issues include:

⚔️ Delaying attacks by a fixed value can lead to situations where nobody on the battlefield can counter or interrupt them. We attempted to solve this by delaying attacks based on factors like the number of characters, but this fix won’t be good enough.

⚔️ Time axis shifts are inconsistent. We couldn't find a solution that would allow us to predictably and fairly move a unit, for example, to the next round. A character that received a high amount of damage would end up at the end of the queue in a given round.

⚔️ The chance of having a negative initiative value. After receiving a sufficient amount of damage, a unit might have a negative initiative value, which isn't considered a valid value. While we could theoretically try to soften this effect by increasing base values, it wouldn't eliminate the entire problem.

But guess what…? These issues prompted us to work on another version of the system!

What the future holds…

Treat this like a small sneak peek, but…

In previous systems, the gameplay was divided into rounds in which action points and character movement reset at the beginning of each subsequent turn. The new system will have an additional dimension, and we will be abandoning the concept of rounds. However, we don't intend to reveal too much just yet, as there's more to come.

Rest assured, everything is continuously evolving!

Stay tuned!

To stay in the loop regarding our progress, come join our Discord community! And once again, thank you for being a part of this incredible journey!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
What we've been working on lately… #2

Greetings, Samurai!

We're back with another exciting peek into the world of Shadow of the Road! As always, we're thrilled to have you on this journey with us, and we've got some great updates to share that we believe will make your wait for the game more enjoyable.

Today, we'd like to discuss the three primary aspects we are currently focusing on. Let's dive into the first one!

Combat Animations

As you've probably noticed, we've been hard at work improving the finer details of our combat system. They may seem like small things, but they have a significant impact on the outcome.

The newest animations will add a new layer of immersion to the game, making combat feel more fluid and responsive. It's still a proof of concept, but there's a high likelihood that it will find its way into the game. Visual effects are impressive, right?

Verticality

What’s more, we’re enhancing verticality in combat! We’ve got some exciting ideas in the pipeline, including the ability to throw enemies at one another and more intricate environmental hazards. Imagine being able to use the surroundings to your advantage, like shoving an opponent onto a barricade or impaling them on spikes!

The possibilities are endless, and we can't wait for you to explore them. Just take a look at the WIP version of this feature! Looks painful…

Let it snow, let it snow…

And here's a little treat for you, gamers. We're crafting the next landscape in our game and we're eager to show you a few screenshots to whet your appetite. The winter holidays are approaching quickly, so we already have snow on our minds.

8c826bf20b899d94d386f5b14a965698d7c729eb.png

852d3b04a087027b5f52c356c54074467f304f5c.png

We haven't shown much of the winter environment yet, so this could be your first peek at the frosty challenges that you can expect. We've got some stunning visuals in store, and we can't wait for you to dive into this world.

0f9b70256770e0f628656efe59479b50c33573b6.png

That's it for today!

Our goal is simple - we want to make this game an unforgettable experience, and we're thrilled to have you along for the ride. Keep an eye out for future devlogs and, as always, feel free to share your thoughts and feedback with us.

Your input is invaluable in shaping the game into something truly special. And if you want to stay up-to-date with everything and actively participate in the creation process, join our Discord server!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
What we've been working on lately… #3
c336f1408a38dd25e04a6e7e26fbbb774a4895df.png

Samurai!

It's been a while since we last connected, but rest assured, our silence has been filled with the bustling excitement of the holiday season and intense dedication to making Shadow of the Road the best game it can be.

We're thrilled to see your ongoing interest and are eager to share the fruits of our recent labors!

Volcano

Let's dive into what we've been working on lately - the Volcano. This fiery environment offers a stark contrast to the frosty landscapes we showcased previously. As you might expect, it's a level teeming with danger, yet irresistibly captivating. Every step must be calculated, and only the strongest samurai will survive there!

Relax and contemplate…

But fear not, Shadow of the Road isn't all peril and flames. We've also crafted spaces of serenity and peace. Here, time slows down, offering moments for contemplation, haiku writing, and training. Take a glimpse at one such relaxing spot in the footage below.

What do you think? Do you prefer a darker ambiance or a more serene setting? Don't worry, we've got both covered in the game!

Knock, knock!

Focusing next on our interaction system, we've been fine-tuning this aspect extensively to enhance the game's realism and depth. Each interaction with the environment is designed to enrich your immersion. Check out how we've been experimenting with door interactions!

Let us know what you think and which option works best!

We’re on TikTok!

As a reminder, we've been active on TikTok, bringing you exclusive content from Shadow of the Road. Our posts range from serious to comical - which, surprisingly, fits perfectly with the game's vibe. We invite you to visit us there - you might find yourself lingering longer than expected! ;)

Join us[www.tiktok.com]!

In the end…

We want to express our gratitude for your support, feedback, and contributions to the game's development direction. To further involve you in the production process, we encourage you to join our Discord channel.

Your responses to our questions can significantly influence Shadow of the Road's development. Come and be a part of our journey!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
The Diverse Environment of Shadow of the Road
e2e722cbcf7f9d9f7a6b109aa8ff1742e33e3cea.png

Samurai!

We are thrilled to once again connect with you and share the exciting developments happening at our studio. Lately, our plate has been full, both in terms of growing the studio and continuously refining the game itself.

We've been hard at work, polishing and incorporating new ideas to enhance gameplay and provide a deeper, more enjoyable experience.

Diving into the depths…

Environment is one of the aspects that we continually improve. Our goal is to ensure that each level immerses players profoundly. To achieve this, we're diligently working on diversifying the levels on multiple fronts, and we want to make sure that in the vast world of Shadow of the Road, you'll traverse different landscapes.

83ba5a39ba6b8eb6194162e66c5c783794f1f9aa.png

01c6a125e2068093fc4def61ba81f4f6cc35752f.png

You might be journeying through frozen realms where every breath freezes, and the next moment, you can find yourself in the vicinity of an active volcano, where the temperature becomes just one of the many formidable adversaries.

That’s not all…

Of course, our adventures won't be happening solely under the open sky. Prepare to explore enclosed locations – sometimes inspired by Japanese culture, other times deeply rooted in steampunk aesthetics, and occasionally shaped predominantly by nature.

a28a5dcbf6fb522ea8f79ee4026c315b70ad3589.png

1bacbea73ce47aadbd3b719b19a567c73e52388c.png

It’s one of our ways to combat monotony and boredom. We want players to feel a constant sense of discovery, preventing the notion of going in circles. Be prepared for surprises hidden in the details, as we aim to deliver fresh experiences and encourage players to immerse themselves in this captivating world.

Become a samurai!

For those eager to stay up-to-date, we warmly invite you to follow us on social media and join our Discord server. It's where information surfaces first, and it's the hub for direct interaction with the community as we collaboratively shape the world of Shadow of the Road.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
What we’ve been working on lately… #4
In today's devlog we'll be focusing on updates related to the combat system...

621629c34aa045275736b670eeb41588dd88df5f.png

Samurai!
We're super pumped to be back and ready to spill the beans on what we've been up to lately. Hope you're just as stoked about these new developments as we are!

In today's devlog we'll be focusing on updates related to the combat system. We've poured our hearts and souls into polishing this aspect of the game because… Hey,
we're gamers too
, and we know how crucial it is to the whole experience.

Co-op Skills

Let's kick things off with Co-op Skills. We see this mechanic as absolutely pivotal in the game, rooted in the connections between characters. These relationships will evolve based on player choices, the progression of events, and more. And when those links hit the sweet spot, get ready for some seriously epic special moves!

Check out the
sneak peek video
below and let us know what you think!

Environment

Now, let's talk about
shaking up combat with environmental interactions
. We've introduced something that we call Reactive Objects. Picture this: you're in the heat of a battle, there's a barrel or something else nearby, and suddenly, bam! It explodes and changes the course of the battle!

But wait, there's more! We've been fiddling with the destruction system,
adding depth to it
. Factors like the source and magnitude of force used on items affect how they react, so it's gonna make battles feel even more intense and satisfying.

Utilize every advantage

And guess what?
We're not stopping there
. Say hello to Interactable Items. We're throwing these into the mix to spice up the combat even more. These items may be scattered across the battlefield or stored in our inventory, if acquired beforehand.

inb4 - Yes, grenades are present in Shadow of the Road
!

Plus, who hasn't seen those epic action movie scenes where the hero, armed with nothing but their fists, turns anything they can find into a weapon? Trust me, sometimes improvisation can be a lifesaver and
a complete game changer in a fight
!

Occasionally, you'll snag weapons dropped by enemies, but there's also the wild card factor: sometimes an item might just activate on its own, shaking up the whole environment!

In the end!

To wrap things up,
big thanks for checking out this devlog
! We hope that you like the updates and where Shadow of the Road is headed. Stay tuned because we're aiming to chat with you more often as time goes on!

Oh, and don't forget to hit that follow button on Shadow of the Road's socials - Facebook, Instagram, X (Twitter), and TikTok. Plus, join our Discord crew for the inside scoop on upcoming beta testing and to shoot the breeze with fellow gamers!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom