Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow Realms, Bioware's new episodic online co-op action-RPG - Canceled

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Preorder now and you get a free SWTOR slave outfit for your toon!

It will come to that. I am certain. Skimpy outfits sell games.+M

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Is BioWare Edmonton, the former Mass Effect team working on this (people like Weekes etc...)?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hey Bioware, stop being too ambitious for your own good. First, learn to make a good game then try something more complicated.

A message with love from someone that doesn't expect a truly good game from you since Baldur's Gate 2.

PS: Insert a dildo full of nails on David Gayder ass and record his cries of pleasure, this will, for sure, scare people.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I have gotten ANOTHER mail claiming that I am the chosen one, probably with a new trailer I haven't bothered to check (link will most likely be broken anyway like the first one). Registrating SWTOR back in the days must have marked me as an extremely gullible person in their database if they still keep trying...

Those are some massive ears.

Yeah...The first thing I tought was "Damn it Bioware, even on your horror game there are elves too.":lol:

DQdfEPp.jpg

:hmmm:

There's the uncanny valley and then there's the uncanny falling from a cliff face first onto a pile of jagged rocks.
True, true, but I was rather getting at that while Felicia Day sure has a rat face, this abomination from DA2 looks more like this girl from a trailer really, than Day. Can't say it's a compliment for any of them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-live-report-eas-gamescom-2014-briefing

09:57 Robert Purchese
You can sign up for the closed alpha for Shadow Realms now at the game's website.

09:57 Robert Purchese
"We want to build Shadow Realms with your help." Available for PC late next year, but we can play it today. I will, after this.

09:56 Robert Purchese
The narrative is going to be released episodically, and will play out like a TV series. Oh.

09:55 Robert Purchese
It's an online RPG. 4v1 gameplay. (Some of my updates are dropping, sadly.) Story is at the heart of the game and it's continuously updated.

09:54 Robert Purchese
That's a good way of putting it.

adofessex:
The Secret World, Bioware style?

09:54 Robert Purchese
Looks roughly modern day. In a city. But people with crazy powers. A big demon, lots of magic. "Everything dies, let's begin with you." Shadow Realms is its name.

09:53 Robert Purchese
BioWare's brand new IP about to be shown. An action-RPG. It's in development at BioWare Austin, the SWTOR studio.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-unveils-four-on-one-online-rpg-shadow-realms

BioWare Austin unveils four-on-one online RPG Shadow Realms
Modern fantasy setting, episodic storyline, PC next year.

BioWare has revealed an all-new game in development at its Austin studio: Shadow Realms, a novel online RPG with a modern fantasy setting. It's coming to PC in late 2015 - no other formats were mentioned.

It's an asymmetric multiplayer game, with four hero characters cooperating against a single player-controlled enemy, the Shadowlord, who has extensive powers to manipulate the game world.

Introducing the game at publisher EA's Gamescom presentation, studio manager Jeff Hickman described it as an attempt bring back the magic of pen-and-paper role-playing, with players collaborating to pit their wits against a human game master.

The Shadowlord will combat his opponents by "possessing, entrapping and destroying with insidious power", Hickman said. Whether playing as good or evil, players will accrue XP and progress as they play.

In BioWare tradition, Hickman said, Shadow Realms will be a story-driven game, but the story will be released in episodes "like a great TV series". The "modern fantasy" setting seems to combine down-to-earth present-day elements with wild supernatural stylings; it's partly reminiscent of Funcom's online RPG, The Secret World. According to a post on theShadow Realms site, it concerns a bridge between present-day Earth and an ancient magical realm called Embra. Gameplay takes place in both locations.

Opposing the Shadowlord, there are six hero classes: Warrior, Assassin, Wizard, Cleric, Ranger and Warlock. They sound like classic archetypes, but the modern setting gives them a very different look and access to modern technology and weaponry, including firearms.Gameplay is in the "action RPG 'dungeon crawler'" mode with a "third-person over the shoulder camera". The Shadowlord plays in this perspective too, remaining unseen until they possess a monster or choose to reveal themselves.

Explaining the vision for the game on the site, creative director James Ohlen - a BioWare veteran and designer on Baldur's Gate, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Dragon Age: Origins - writes:

"It is a game that finally fulfills that fantasy of a never-ending RPG where the players meet up regularly to keep their epic adventures going for as long as they want. All the enemies, traps and challenges are squarely in the hands of another player, who controls them just like a Dungeon Master. The monsters and villains are smart and unpredictable, making every battle a test of strategy and power. Best of all, everyone gets to enjoy a story that plays out like their favorite TV series, but where they decide the fates of its world and characters.

"Shadow Realms isn't just hearkening back to those early BioWare PC games - it's finally bringing the magic of tabletop RPGs to the digital realm."

There's no word on Shadow Realms' business model yet. We haven't seen the game in action yet either, but it's playable at Gamescom and we'll bring you impressions as soon as we can. You can sign up to participate in the game's alpha testing phase at the Shadow Realms site.

This is actually what I advised that Bioware should have done years ago - kept their toe in the PC-exclusive market with a non-massive multiplayer evolution of the Neverwinter Nights concept.

Instead they abandoned all the hard work they did on NWN1 and went full console. Well, better late than never.

Well shit. Instead of WoD MMO we get this. Honestly, I'm surprised that's not a MOBA though.

Probably a lame clone of Secret World (the setting, not the mechanics), with even more shitty combat. If the same people make this who made SWTOR, then PVP aspect will especially suck.
P.S. Shouldn't this thread be in MMO sub-forum though?

eremita

Savant
Well, the fact that James Ohlen is Creative Lead on this gives me hope. It seems he always wanted to do this kind of game (PnP concept) once he was done with BG2/NWN...

Avellion

Erudite
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-unveils-four-on-one-online-rpg-shadow-realms

This is actually what I advised that Bioware should have done years ago - kept their toe in the PC-exclusive market with a non-massive multiplayer evolution of the Neverwinter Nights concept.

Instead they abandoned all the hard work they did on NWN1 and went full console. Well, better late than never.

Problem is all those Biodrones whose first BioWare game (and cRPG) was Kotor who would feel alienated because they never realized that Baldur's Gate and NWN had co op and multiplayer. "Buuh, BioWare has never done multiplayer before, why should they begin now?"

But I guess making it PC exclusive will filter out most of those idiots.

So this is an Evolve-like ?

Pretty sure that if anything, the shadowlord will be some kind of dungeon master. Rather than someone pretending to be Solid Snake Garrett for 3/4ths of the game until finally hunting the hunter

eremita

Savant

Problem is all those Biodrones whose first BioWare game (and cRPG) was Kotor who would feel alienated because they never realized that Baldur's Gate and NWN had co op and multiplayer. "Buuh, BioWare has never done multiplayer before, why should they begin now?"

But I guess making it PC exclusive will filter out most of those idiots.

So this is an Evolve-like ?

Pretty sure that if anything, the shadowlord will be some kind of dungeon master. Rather than someone pretending to be solid snake garret for 3/4ths of the game until finally hunting the hunter
Yep. It's supposed to be a Dungeon Crawler, so my guess DM's gonna have traps/monsters etc. to his disposal. Ever played Descent board game? I'm imagining something like that...

BTW, This means Bioware's new IP (the one made by Bioware Edmonton, guys behind ME) is still not revealed... So apparently, they now have 5 franchises - Dragon Age, new IP, Mass Effect, SWTOR and this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
BTW, This means Bioware's new IP (the one made by Bioware Edmonton, guys behind ME) is still not revealed... So apparently, they now have 5 franchises - Dragon Age, new IP, Mass Effect, SWTOR and this.

Are you sure this isn't the new IP?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom