Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun - Commandos clone with ninjutsu theme

Fairfax

Arcane
The biggest problem with a pacifist run in the 12th mission is getting to the first wagon. I think you have to make everyone in the very first area chase footprints from one character and then run with the rest. I went lethal, though. That map is too good a playground for Yuki. :M

Second was cheap it was. No bushes on the entire map + shittons of cross-vision straw hats - the end effect was basically split second-perfect twitch gameplay where you first lob a rock behind the straw hats to distract them for a sec, and then use that supershort window of opportunity to surf around 2-3 other vision cones in the area. I felt there was little actual planning, and way too much twitch in that mission.
Agreed, and I think that made the map too pistol-friendly. I also felt that locking Takuma in one place was very cheap. He's only there for the sake of the plot, and is only useful for killing the 2 guards in towers.

Mount Tsuru more than makes up for it, though.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The biggest problem with a pacifist run in the 12th mission is getting to the first wagon.

Lolno, it's easy as hell. All you need to do is lure in the two normal patrolling guards and KO them, after that you take yuki/aiko/hayato and make a run for it to the right, luring the samurai away with footprints, and hide on top of the vines. Meanwhile, the rest of your dudes goes up and hides around the bend in a safe spot. Then you just gotta rejoin the rest with the runner by sneaking through the tents, knock out another guy and enter the wagon using a convenient strip of shaded ground leading straight to it.

BY FAR the hardest thing to do non-lethal on that map is to get past the area once you leave the first wagon. I went right to the temple and managed to do it with nothing short of a miracle, cuz it also required tons of split-second twitch decisions (and also a great deal of luck to make sure KO'd dudes don't decide to look for you in bushes once they wake up).

Fairfax

Arcane
The biggest problem with a pacifist run in the 12th mission is getting to the first wagon.

Lolno, it's easy as hell. All you need to do is lure in the two normal patrolling guards and KO them, after that you take yuki/aiko/hayato and make a run for it to the right, luring the samurai away with footprints, and hide on top of the vines. Meanwhile, the rest of your dudes goes up and hides around the bend in a safe spot. Then you just gotta rejoin the rest with the runner by sneaking through the tents, knock out another guy and enter the wagon using a convenient strip of shaded ground leading straight to it.

BY FAR the hardest thing to do non-lethal on that map is to get past the area once you leave the first wagon. I went right to the temple and managed to do it with nothing short of a miracle, cuz it also required tons of split-second twitch decisions (and also a great deal of luck to make sure KO'd dudes don't decide to look for you in bushes once they wake up).
Huh. I didn't notice the vines when I played it. :lol:
And what area do you mean? After you leave the wagon, all you have to do is wait for the next one. Once you leave the second wagon, just lure everyone in the middle with the tanuki and drop the non-lethal bomb to knock them out.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And what area do you mean? After you leave the wagon, all you have to do is wait for the next one.

When you get into the first wagon, you are stopped by two roadblocks. One is a straw hat that chats up the driver for a moment, which lets you gtfo. The other are two samurai that check the back of the cart and murder you if you're inside.

unless i missed some way to get by those samurai directly, but I don't think so?

Fairfax

Arcane
And what area do you mean? After you leave the wagon, all you have to do is wait for the next one.

When you get into the first wagon, you are stopped by two roadblocks. One is a straw hat that chats up the driver for a moment, which lets you gtfo. The other are two samurai that check the back of the cart and murder you if you're inside.

unless i missed some way to get by those samurai directly, but I don't think so?
You have to leave the wagon with one character when the straw hat stops the wagon, follow the wagon and then shoot he samurai on the right before he can inspect it. There's enough time to enter the wagon and leave before he gets up.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Started it, somehow the second mission was easier than the tutorial.

I really like the fact that the devs respect the players: On the third mission, there is the snow tutorial. You leave marks and enemies will track you, ok? AAA devs would go from winking to you "hey, sometimes you can use snow to your advantage, you know?" to flat out guide you "move Yuki here, wait, jump on enemy".

rado907

Savant
Same, game's awesome, so glad someone revived this genre. Loved Commandos 2, Desperados & Robin Hood. Beat even Commandos 3 and Desperados 2. Didn't beat Helldorado tho. That one is for true fanatics, insanely difficult game.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Commandos 3 was underrated. Got bashed because it had lower resolution and some missions were more action packed. OVerall thought, I really enjoyed it and also liked some of the more popamole missions.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Started doing speedruns for muh cheevos. So far finished only the first three missions. 1 and 2 were p. ez, but 3, hory sheet :shredder: Tbh I can't imagine finishing them all, the whole thing can be ridiculously frustrating.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No way I'm doing the speed runs, that's just not how I play. I am sad it's over though. Looking forward to a replay next year or so, doing different things and going for some of the badges.

rado907

Savant
Beat it - took 22 hours. This is GOTY for me, 10/10, would pre-order sequel.

The game is a Desperados in Japan.

Pros:
+ Great graphics and 360 camera rotation.
+ Excellent level design.
+ Quick reload times.
+ The game is challenging, especially if one tries to go for badges and play cleanly (no alarms, no kills on certain levels, no guns, etc). Beat level 12 with the pacifist achievement and it was hard.
+ The metagame offers tons of replayability. There are all sorts of badges and achievements to shoot for.
+ The characters are fun, I liked them.
+ The story is actually good even though a story isn't even necessary in this genre.

Cons:
None, really. The game has a few quirks such as the lack of an ability to tie unconscious enemies, and bottomless ninja bushes. But those work fine as mechanics.

Really hope the devs would follow Blades of Shogun with 3-4 more similar titles. This genre can work in any setting - historical, fantasy, scifi, whatever you can think of. Looking forward to the next game with the Shadow Tactics engine.

GOTY for me, pleasantly surprised.

rezaf

Cipher
Even though the final levels turned out as being too difficult for a casual fan of the genre like me, I'd agree with most things you write.
Except that the game is - by design, basically - a savescumming-fest, and with this in mind, I actually WAS annoyed with the loading times...

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My quickload times are definitely slower than Desperados ... just slow enough to make me try not to rely on it completely. Perfect.

HansDampf

Arcane
I don't remember there being any quickload times. But first time loads? Take a piss and have another cup of tea. Should have installed in on an SSD.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ Roguey - this game does exactly the opposite of PoE (regarding what we talked about). Loading a level takes forever (even on my SSD, sorry HansDampf), but once it's loaded, quick loading is instant. I doubt that if you made a live test with 100 people, more than 5 would prefer the alternative.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Yeah the first time loading i go and do something else. the subsequent loading times are quick enough, unlike Pillars.

DemonKing

Arcane
Commandos 3 was underrated. Got bashed because it had lower resolution and some missions were more action packed. OVerall thought, I really enjoyed it and also liked some of the more popamole missions.

I liked 3 better than 2 - more variety to the missions and gameplay. 2 had lots of epic levels and beautiful graphics but 3 occasionally made you react with haste rather than giving you the opportunity to plan everything to perfection which I liked.

ST Is very well done for a small team - the character models are ordinary albeit serviceable but the background graphic style and execution is well done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom