Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadoworlds edges a Re-release

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Krisalis Software; Shadoworlds; Teque London

For those looking for a blast from the past, Shadoworlds is now out on GOG or on Steam. Originally released back in 1992, you can now snag the game for 30% off on either site, which is $4.68US. It's a real time combat, party based, sci-fi, dungeon crawling CRPG filled with the best technology a Pentium could handle. Here's a taste:

The Magna 6 system is home to the most advanced weapons lab the universe has ever known. Two months ago, communications with the orbiting facility mysteriously went dead without any warning. If the cutting edge weapons in the station were to fall into the wrong hands, the results would be cataclysmic. Knowing that quick action is necessary, but unaware of what terrors might have caused the break in communication, you are called in to lead a small team of brave but expendable explorers through the imperiled space station with a mission to ascertain the fate of its crew.

Krisalis Software and Teque London’s gripping isometric squad-based sci-fi action RPG follows your team of four explorers as they trek through the dark environments of the Weapons Research Facility to uncover the mystery of what went wrong. Each member of the team is chosen by the player based on their strengths and weaknesses, as well as their personality and individual history. As the leader of the unit, you have full control over the inventories and actions of your squad, even down to deciding when to use headlamps to illuminate the darkness. But watch out – the inky blackness of space hides friend and foe alike.​

Oddly enough, I don't remember this. Probably because I had an Amiga that year.

Last edited by a moderator:

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
CRPG Addict hated the game, stating that it wasn't even an RPG (and he hated the other game in the series - Shadowlands - with a passion). Having never managed to play any of them at the time, I still remember gaming magazines giving decent scores to both games.
I wonder if the games feature topless ladies, hence the guy's hate?

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I played this and Shadowlands on the Amiga; apart from the fantasy vs. sci-fi setting they were basically the same game. In both cases, you were so hideously underpowered compared to the enemies that constant kiting and exploitation of the AI were a must. They are fiddly, frustrating games and yet I managed to finish them. Probably says more about the lack of options in those days than anything else.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

A shadowy world that is beyond the Outer Worlds. 4 astrowarriors can can a difference.

Loved the box, the dark atmosphere of Shadowlands but playing it was frustrating (sort of like hoe Drakkhen was a pain in the arse or any of these early real time games).

I had no idea ShadowWorlds existed. Pity they didn't put both on Gog/steam. Though dosbox works fine (since that is the system I had it on)

Mortmal

Arcane
CRPG Addict hated the game, stating that it wasn't even an RPG (and he hated the other game in the series - Shadowlands - with a passion). Having never managed to play any of them at the time, I still remember gaming magazines giving decent scores to both games.
He rates everything compare to baldur's gate, so its nothing like baldur's gate : He dont like it. That's all there is to know.
If you want to do retro gaming you should also read magazines from that era, the reviews were better. It had good reviews and as mentioned before can be played on amiga. It's hard to find those reviews again but i remember they were good.

negator2vc

Scholar
He rates everything compare to baldur's gate, so its nothing like baldur's gate : He dont like it. That's all there is to know.
If you want to do retro gaming you should also read magazines from that era, the reviews were better. It had good reviews and as mentioned before can be played on amiga. It's hard to find those reviews again but i remember they were good.

He hated Shadowlands because the game have very bad design (who can forget those rats) and controls
The only thing good about the game was the intro story in the manual which was quite good to put you in the game mood
except for the fact that's the only story you got from the game
While the controls of Shadowworlds are a little better they are still bad and the game itself isn't a much better game (I only manage to play the first 3 levels of Shadowworlds - if I remember correctly - before abandoning it)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
RIDE IT TIL YOU FINISH IT! YEEE HAWWW!!
1AgE2HK.jpg

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I remember that controls were pretty bad. It was a time when mouse became a hot shit, but often people do not knew that to do with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom