Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Shadowrun (1996) for Sega CD [シャドウラン]

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
35851-shadowrun-sega-cd-front-cover.jpg

油断するな。
迷わず撃て。
弾を切らすな。
ドラゴンに手を出すな。
       ───ストリートの警句

Don't let your guard down.
Don't hesitate to shoot.
Don't run out of ammo.
Never deal with a dragon.
       -- Street wisdom

After finishing my album (shameless plug) I've taken some time to rest before continuing to do gamedev, and a wondrous new tool came into my view. I'm a fan of machine translation because it allows me to play ye olde Japanese games without the hassle of learning the language. The previous tool I used was a text hooker, as in it injected a DLL somewhere into the game process or something like this to grab the text. A lot of games did not work with that approach but it was still better than nothing. This new tool however is next level. When pressing a hotkey, it a) takes a screenshot b) uploads it to Google OCR service c) uploads the text it found into Google translation service (it can do DeepL now, too); and d) shows it in the overlay on top of the original text.

Preliminary tests showed that it worked excellent with PC98 640x400 art so I've finished the VN I was playing. But now it was time to try out an actual RPG. I'm a fan of the cyberpunk genre and I've had Japanese Shadowrun for Sega CD available so it was a no-brainer. Unfortunately, the OCR results are significantly worse because Sega CD is in a shit 320x224 resolution but it's still good enough to get the gist of what's happening. Also, vertical text is way harder for the machine (I think that the more text is there on screen the better it works). So in another effort to promote machine translation and specifically UGT (Universal Game Translator), I'm going to start the Shadowrun Sega CD LP.

I'm recording the supplementary video footage and I will upload it to my Youtube channel. Be aware that it will sometimes be hard to understand the machine due to mistakes, the forum LP will feature the names, explanations, plot outline, and a little guide if you want to play the game yourself. My intent is for you to read the text and then optionally watch the video for more.

So let's begin.

001-intro.png

002-intro.png

世界規模で
取り替X了が誕生
Xルフはどと呼XXも

I will mark with an X the places where neither OCR nor I could find out wtf that hieroglyph was. Hopefully, some accomplished moonspeaker out there will help to complete the picture. According to Shadowrun wiki 2011 is when "the first baby is born with the condition that will later be described as Unexplained Genetic Expression." So I assume it's talking about that.

003-intro.png

004-intro.png

激怒の夜
各Xで大規模な種族間
X動

The first line is "Night Of Rage" and indeed, in 2039 there were widescale anti-metahuman riots in the Shadowrun universe which are known under that name.

005-intro.png

Scrolling text:
21世紀初頭
世界は大いなる変化を迎えた

きっかけは、伝説の中の存在だ
った『エルフ』や『オーク』い
わゆる『メタヒューマン』が誕
生したことだ

やがて、さまざまな奇跡を引
き起こす『魔法使い』が登場し
世界は<覚醒>を迎えた
いままで長い眠りについていた
魔法の方がよみがえったのだ

だが、世界を変えたのは、魔
法による奇跡だけではなかった
肉体の改造によって、飛躍的
に能力を高める『サイバーウェ
ア』の登場

プログラムと一体化し、電子
の世界に意識を送り込む電脳空
間『マトリックス』の成立

魔法の覚醒に弾かれるように
テクノロジーもさまざまな奇跡
を産み出していった

だが、それらはバラ色の未来
をもたらしたわけではなかった
メタヒューマンと人間たちの
衝突。世界を牛耳る巨大企業の
せめぎあい

奇跡の産み出す光が明るくな
るほど、投げかけられる影も濃
くなっていく

その影はやがて、特殊なプロ
フェッショナルを誕生させた
魔法とテクノロジー。現代の
奇跡を身にまとい、さまざまな
せめぎあいが産み出す影の仕事
を引き受ける

影の世界を駆け抜ける彼らは
『シャドウランナー』と呼ばれた

In the early 21st century, the world underwent a profound change.

It all started with the birth of the elves, orcs, and so-called metahumans, who had existed only in legend.

Eventually, wizards appeared on the scene to perform miracles, and the world began to awaken, reviving the magic that had been dormant for so long.

However, it was not only the miracles of magic that changed the world, but also the emergence of "cyberware" that dramatically increased abilities by feminizing the body.

(WHAT??? Oops, a single wrong kanji. It becomes "but also the emergence of "cyberware" that dramatically increased abilities by modifying the body.")

The establishment of the Matrix, an electronic space that integrates with programs and sends consciousness into the electronic world.

As if propelled by the awakening of magic, technology has also produced various miracles.

However, these did not bring about a rosy future, as metahumans and humans clashed. A conflict between the giant corporations that control the world.

As the light produced by these miracles grows brighter, the shadows cast by them grow darker.

The shadows are the magic and technology that eventually gave birth to these special professionals. Clad in modern miracles, they take on the work in the shadows that the various conflicts produce.

These people who run through the world of shadows are called "shadowrunners".

006-intro.png

(a cool animation sequence follows, watch the intro in the video if you haven't already)

007-intro.png

More scrolling text:
そして、2053年
<覚醒>による混乱を乗り切
った日本は、まさに巨大企業が
支配する国へと変貌していた

そんななか、東京は、製品の
市場や実職場として、どの企業
にも属さない中立都市となって
いた

だがそれは、この街でいくつ
もの巨大企業がせめぎあうこと
を意味している

『影』を集める都市、東京
そして、その影の中で生きる
ランナーたち

物語は、はじまりを告げよう
としている

And in 2053, after surviving the chaos caused by the Awakening, Japan was transformed into a country dominated by giant corporations.

In the midst of all this, Tokyo has become a neutral city, a market for products and workforce that does not belong to any single company.

However, this means that many huge corporations are competing with each other in this city.

Tokyo, a city that gathers shadows, and the runners who live within those shadows.

Their story is about to begin.

A familiar logo appears:
008-intro.png

Followed by the menu:
009-intro.png

There are two items in options:
データのXー - Do something with data
データの削除 - Delete data

010-chapter1-tsujigiri.png
辻斬り事件 - Tsujigiri Incident
The word "tsujigiri" has a full-on Wikipedia page of its own (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsujigiri). Quote: "Tsujigiri is a Japanese term for a practice when a samurai, after receiving a new katana or developing a new fighting style or weapon, tests its effectiveness by attacking a human opponent, usually a random defenseless passer-by, in many cases during nighttime. The practitioners themselves are also referred to as tsujigiri." Lovely people, those samurai.

011-chapter1.png

3ケ月後 - 3 months later
012-3months.png

013-tokyo.png

Every shadowrunner party needs a base of operations. In our case it's a bar:
014-bar-logo.png

The girl is having an internal monologue. Or maybe it's the narrator:
015-mao-monologue.png

Her name is Mao and she's one of the party that we'll be playing as (as is tradition for JRPGs, there's no character generation in this game).

And here's the first gameplay screen:
016-bar.png

On the bottom left we have our party. On the bottom right there are images of NPCs present on the scene. There's only one now, our bartender buddy. Let's introduce the characters (using the descriptions from Japanese Wikipedia because I don't have a manual (I'd be grateful if anyone knows how to obtain one) and they're not introduced in the game):

017-char-rokudo.png
六堂 - Rokudo
A human street samurai. He has vowed to take revenge on the runner "Onikaku" (Demon Horn) who once defeated him. His hobby is buying firearms, and he eventually became quite heavily armed with assault rifles and grenade launchers.

019-char-shiun.png
紫雲 - Shiun (Purple Cloud)
This human is a former company worker (weirdly written in Katakana as ヒューマンのフォーマー・カンパニーマン - "hyuman no foma kanpaniman). Previously an employee of Aztechnology, he is the calm and collected chief strategist of the team. He is a good friend of Rokudo, perhaps because they are both in charge of the vanguard. His policy is to conduct his work as a professional business.

020-char-dhead.png
Dヘッド - D-head
An elf decker. His handle means "deckhead" in Japanese. Chronologically, he was introduced to the team by Jane in the second part of the series, and joined the team instead of her, playing an active role in the first part. At the end of Part I, he gets involved in a conspiracy with the Humanis Poly Club. His icon in the Matrix is a faceless magician.
(i'm actually not sure it's him or her and what series are they talking about, it sorta looks like there were some Japanese-only books)

018-char-mao.png
マオ - Mao
A human street shaman. She serves a cat totem and is very curious. She works as a clerk at a magic store called Tokaido, which is run by her master in Ueno, but she tries to get her nose into everything. A runner with the same name also appears in the Tenshi Tachi series, but he is a different person.
(perhaps they're referring to so-called replay books, where they publish recaps of their gaming sessions as prose. anyway, i can't find anything relevant on Google with 天使たち シャドウラン query)

And now for the UI. The investigations are done through the visual novel part. The menu is the following (only three first options are available now):

• 見る - LOOK (opens up a submenu of topics to look at)
  • 話す - TALK
    • 仲間 - PARTY (this one is always the first, your party can chat between themselves)
    • whatever other people are on scene
  • 移動 - MOVE (opens up a list of locations)
  • アイデム - ITEM
    • ポケットセクレタリー - POCKET SECRETARY (this one is the settings menu)
      • セーブ - SAVE
      • メシセージ - MESSAGE SPEED
        • 遅い - SLOW
        • 普通 - NORMAL
        • 速い - FAST
  • コンタクト - CONTACT
  • ナツト _ NATSUTO (your main information contact, chat him up whenever your party suggests it)
  • データネット - DATANET (stuff the media says)

The evening starts slow. Rokudo wants some action, Mao is playing word games with the bartender, but then our inevitable Johnson comes in.

021-hajime.png

Rokudo knows the guy - his name is Hajime (ハジメ) and he's a member of the Shibuya street gang called Metal Labyrinth (メタルラビリンス). Hajime needs some help. "Heh, if you need a yojimbo, then no dice", replies Rokudo. I'll use this term without translation because though it is usually translated as "bodyguard" or "bouncer" in the case of machine translation in the video, it doesn't really mean that.

Yojimbo means something like "quality hired muscle", in my opinion. The best example of what yojimbo does is, of course, in the famous Akira Kurosawa movie:

Anyway, Hajime tells us his story - someone's been killing his guys one by one. Rumors call it "the tsujigiri murders". He wants the culprit found and dealt with and, of course, no police involvement because they will lose face with other gangs. He offers 4000 nuyen for the job. We agree to hear the deets. At first, the tsujigiri attacked only gang members but lately he's become more indifferent. The attacker looks like a crazy samurai in a kimono.

He shows us the hologram:
022-hologram.png

(it's also worth noting that in true Japanese fashion they use the term "street gang" as literal ストリート・ギャング - sutorito gyangu)

When asked about their recent fights with other gangs, Hajime tells us about a fight with the gang called Wizard's Edge based in Yokohama (ウィザーズ・エッジ, incorrectly translated as Wither's Edge in the video). Apparently, they used magic a lot but Hajime's got their asses kicked. Another one he remembers is called 『武空』, pronounced either Takesora or Busora, or Takeku, or sometimes even Wukong. Yeah, the machines have divisive answers on that one. It's translated literally as something like "armed air forces". Hajime says if they need anything, to find him in OnFall (オンフォール), a Shibuya club, and then bugs off.

All right, we've got our first job. Shiun suggests calling our informant for any clues, who goes either by Natsuto or Nat, however you may want to read that as: ナツト.

023-nat.png

Nat tells us that this culprit, he's very "shinsukibotsu" (神出鬼没), elusive as a phantom and might be a magician. So far, there have been two survivors. One is a street samurai by the name of Izo (以蔵), and the other one is named Cholo (チョロ), a street kid. Izo was a Metals' yojimbo and quit after he was attacked. When asked about the Busora, he tells that they hang out in an old bar Gyakushimaya (逆島屋).

All right, now that we have our clues, let's move. Actually, I wanted to watch the Datanet, too, but I forgot, so I'll come back to it in the next update. The move menu has two options:
  • 渋谷 - Shibuya
  • 横浜 - Yokohama
Let's get out into Shibuya:
024-shibuya.png

Ah, the sweet Tokyo nightlife!

"Shibuya is a very glamorous town. But step into the back streets and you'll see its other side. The other face of Shibuya, a dangerous neighborhood where gangs gather. In the shadows, the gangs are waging war."

渋谷はとてもきらびやかな街だ
裏通りに一歩足を踏み入れればもうひとつの顔が見える
渋谷のもうひとつの顔ギャングたちが集まる危険な街
影のなかではギャグたちが戦いを繰り広げている
Well said, Mao, well said!

Let's start by looking around and chatting with passers-by (通行1/2/3 - Passerby 1/2/3):
025-passerby1.png

026-passerby2.png

027-passerby3.png

The second one is most useful, he tells us where OnFall is. The rest is just flavor or repeats. Now we can move to somewhere else:
028-shibuya-menu.png

Those are:
シルバームーン - Silver Moon
現場1/2 - Scene 1/2
オンフォール - OnFall
横浜 - Yokohama

Let's just investigate them one by one in the offered order, starting with Scene 1:
029-scene1.png

There's a hobo here:
030-hobo.png

We are offered a choice on how to talk to him:
030-hobo-choice.png

打ち解けるように - Friendly
取り引する - Business-like
ごく普通に - Normally
関わりにならない - Non-chalantly

I've tried the business-like and paid him 50 nuyen before and in the video I use the friendly approach with the same result, just different flavor text. My guess is it doesn't matter, he still spills the beans: the tsujigiri attacked people here for some time but then stopped. It coincided with the city starting a new building here when all the bare earth was paved up. Coincidence? He also tells us about Cholo but we already know that. Time to move to scene 2:
031-scene2.png

Scene two has two Metals waiting for tsujigiri to appear. Mao notes that the earth is bare here.

032-ganger1.png

033-ganger2.png

The gangers are bored but they do tell us that Cholo is likely a magic user. "Once I pulled a prank on him but he just disappeared, man!" Time to visit the next location:
034-onfall-outside.png

Some asshole tells us to fuck off (とっととうせな):
035-ganger.png
But once Rokudo says we're here to chat with Hajime, he lets us in.
036-onfall-inside.png

Mao immediately runs off to dance and Rokudo starts asking Hajime about Izo. He tells us that Izo got all upset when he somehow survived the encounter with the tsujigiri and now stopped being a yojimbo. Currently he hangs out in Shinjuku bar called Dawn (暁). So let's go there:
037-dawn-outside.png

Turns out, Dawn is a charming oldschool place:
038-dawn-inside.png

Everyone grabs something to drink, and in case of Mao, oden to eat and the friendly proprietor points us to where Izo's sitting. Trying to chat with him, we stumble on this dude:
039-ganger.png

We've two choices here:
040-choice.png

威圧する - Intimidate
無視する - Ignore

Spoiler: the first one gets us talking to Izo, but the second one gets him and his buddies all riled up:
041-ganger.png
"You son of a bitch. You got some balls! Get out of here!"

この野郎
いい度胸だ!
表に出な!

Rokudo just goes outside to teach them some manners single-handedly like a boss:
042-rokudo.png

And we proceed into the very first combat of the game!
043-combat1.png

Is Rokudo as badass as he behaves? Can he kick those three guys' asses? Wait until the next update to find out!

UPDATE 02: ALL ROADS LEAD TO YOKOHAMA
UPDATE 03: WASHI WO OSOREYO, SHI WO OSOREYO
UPDATE 04: SHOPPING
UPDATE 05: ORCS IN THE BASEMENT
UPDATE 06: THE ONE LED BY CAT
UPDATE 07: ERUFU TO DOWAFU
UPDATE 08: DWARVEN QUARTER
UPDATE 09: ELVEN MOP-UP
UPDATE 10: WHAT D-HEAD REALLY THINKS
UPDATE 11: FEMME MAO-TALE
UPDATE 12: GEOLOGY 101
UPDATE 13: MASSACRE IN UENO! TEN PEOPLE SHOT DEAD BY A LONE MANIAC! #EndGunViolence
UPDATE 14: RUMBLE IN IKEBUKURO
UPDATE 15: SAEGUSAAAAAAAAA!
UPDATE 16: WHEREIN CURIOUSITY GETS THE CAT INTO TROUBLE
UPDATE 17: TO THE RESCUE!
UPDATE 18: LOTTA TALKING
UPDATE 19: CALLING IN FAVORS
UPDATE 20: PREPARATIONS
UPDATE 21: FINAL SHOWDOWN
UPDATE 22: THE TRUE ENDING (SCOUT'S HONOR)
SHORT GUIDE TO PLAYING THE GAME

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
After finishing my album (shameless plug) I've taken some time to rest before continuing to do gamedev, and a wondrous new tool came into my view. I'm a fan of machine translation because it allows me to play ye olde Japanese games without the hassle of learning the language. The previous tool I used was a text hooker, as in it injected a DLL somewhere into the game process or something like this to grab the text. A lot of games did not work with that approach but it was still better than nothing. This new tool however is next level. When pressing a hotkey, it a) takes a screenshot b) uploads it to Google OCR service c) uploads the text it found into Google translation service (it can do DeepL now, too); and d) shows it in the overlay on top of the original text.
What is this tool and does it work with Chink/Kwarea games?

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
What is this tool and does it work with Chink/Kwarea games?

Yes, it should work with anything that Google can OCR and anything Google can translate (or DeepL). Oh yeah, and you will likely have to pay something, Google ain't free. In case of VN it was ~1$ per couple hours of clicking for me. In case of Shadowrun it was cheaper.
Here's the link:
https://www.codedojo.com/?p=2426

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
His policy is to conduct his work as a professional business.
this sentence alone neatly sums up why there can never be understanding between men of the Occident and japs

next you'll tell me that the sun's policy is to rise from the east in the manner of a glowing orb of sunshine, and shine bright sunlight during the whole day (which is coincidentally also the period when the sun is up in the sky and shining, and that same sky is in common parlance also known as the heavenly abode of the sun)?!

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Actually, that sentence may indicate that something went wrong with the translation.

"The company's business is to provide a good service to the people" or a variant of that I see quite often using DeepL AutoTranslate with Chink games. It is kind of a boilerplate sentence that indicates that a sentence wasn't translated correctly and you need to do it manually.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Always wanted to play this one but could never find a translation of any sort. Didn't even know about it until like 2006 or so when Genesis Shadowrun fans said it was totally different like the SNES game.

Really good music too.

I thought it was a slight mistranslation of "He makes a point of acting like a professional" or "he conducts himself like a pro" (instead of some unreliable thug). Fits with his looks and past.

Last edited:

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
UPDATE 02: ALL ROADS LEAD TO YOKOHAMA

When we last left off, Rokudo has gotten himself into trouble with some punks. The first combat of the game is both one vs three and with no weapons allowed, everybody is using their bare hands.

201-combat.png

Each character's turn begins with highlighting a grid of where they can move. You can move with the joypad and then do one of the actions in the menu that you can bring up by pressing A.

202-combat.png

The possible menu items are:
  • 待機 - Wait (skips turn or delays character action)
  • 射撃戦闘 - Shoot (shoots twice with lower accuracy)
  • 狙い撃ち - Aimed Shot (shoots once with higher accuracy)
  • 接近戦闘 - Melee Attack
  • 呪文を唱える - Cast Spell
  • アイデム - Item
    • ポケットセクレタリー - Pocket secretary (settings)
      • ダイス表示ON - Dice On
      • ダイス表示OFF - Dice Off
    • 医療キット - Medkit
  • ステイタス - Status

Note that there are no shooting or casting items for Rokudo for obvious reasons. Note also the Dice On/Dice Off. The thing is, by default the game will roll dice on every attack visually. It will show constantly changing results and if you're quick enough, you can press the button when the desired ones are on screen. The guide I've had with the game said there's no need for these, the game is completable with the computer choosing the results. I immediately turn it off in the video. As far as I can tell, the game follows pen-and-paper system pretty closely.

The next interesting thing is the medkit option. Healing is simplified in the game, every character has this option in normal combat to self-heal a portion of their life. If the character goes down, they stay down until the end of combat, when they will auto-use Trauma Card or something to pick themselves up. If all chars go down it's game over.

The last menu item, status, shows the character sheet and inventory. The separation between VN mode and combat mode is so hard that you can only bring this screen during the combat. If you loot some stuff during the combat, you can only change weapons during the next one with no penalties. A bit retarded but oh well. Also maybe there are some locations in the game where you can view status in VN mode, I'm not that far into the game.

Let's start by opening the status screen:

203-status.png

There are four separate blocks here. On the top left we have the character abilities:

能力值 - Abilities

• 体力 - Body Strength (BOD) - 6
  • 敏捷力 - Agility/Quickness (AGI) - 4
  • 筋力 - Muscle Strength (STR) - 6
  • 魅力 - Charisma (CHA) - 2
  • 知力 - Intelligence (INT) - 5
  • 意志力 - Willpower (WIL) - 5
  • 魔力 - Magic Power - 0
  • 反応方 - Reaction - 4 + 2
  • 改造スロット - Cyber Slots - 6

These seem to be the same as Shadowrun 3rd ed char sheet has on (I might be mistaken because I've only played 5th edition to some degree, my knowledge about the third one is from wiki and Google). It looks like Rokudo has BOD/STR maxed out and reaction bonus from something.

On the top right there are the skills:

技能 - Skills

• 素手戦闘 - Unarmed - 6
  • 武器戦闘 - Weapon (Melee?) - 3
  • 小火器 - Firearms - 5
  • 重火器 - Heavy weapons - 1
  • 射出武器 - Emitting? Weapons [UNUSED] - 1
  • 手投げ武器 - Throwing Weapons [UNUSED] - 1
  • 魔術 - Magic - 0
  • 召喚 - Summoning [UNUSED] - 0

I've read the Japanese review I've found prior to playing the game and the author plainly states that these three skills are unused and he's a bit butthurt about it. Also spoiler: there's no karma and stats/skills progression in the game, you can only find better gear.

On the bottom right you see the stun track and physical tracks from Shadowrun P&P.

精神 - Stun Track
X体 Physical Track

And on the bottom left we've got another menu:

• 装備 - Equipment
    • 射擊武器 - Shooting weapon
    • 接近戦武器 - Melee weapon
    • 防具 - Armor
    • サイバーウェア - Cyberware
  • 呪文 - Spells
  • ダイスプール - Dice Pool

Dice pool is something I haven't even bothered to look into since the guide said it's unnecessary to complete the game. I'll leave you with this quote:

43) "Combat Pool" - related to when you attack with guns or melee. I believe it has to do with attack defence ratio. Your best bet is to leave it well alone. The game is complex enough without trying to fiddle with things such as attack ratios.

44) "Magic Pool" - Ratio of attack, defence and other rate I believe. So attack magic, healing magic and misc magic. Can’t be sure, since the Kanji is very complex. Again, leave well alone, since the game can be completed without fiddling with these ratio options.

Maybe some shadowrunner Codexer knows what this is about, because I sure don't remember this from 5th ed.

Let's quickly take a look at our equipment:

204-equip1.png

Rokudo is using:
アレス・プレデター - Ares Predator

射撃モード - セミ・オート - Firing mode - Semi-automatic
パワーレベル 3 - Power Level 3
ダメージルール M - Damage Rule - M
射擊回数 2 回/フェーズ - Number of shots 2 times/phase

発射彈数 1/回 - Number of shots(?) 1/time
射程距離 7 - Range 7

標準裝備 - Standard equipment (weapon mods)
改造スロット - Remodeling slot (?)

I've a better gun, so I replace it with:

205-equip2.png

ウージーIII. Thank god for "list of Shadowrun 3rd ed equipment", I couldn't parse that at all before consulting with it and translating "uzi" in Google back to japanese to confirm my theory. It's Uzi III. It's better, because it's バースト・ファイア - burst fire, and has 3 shots. Maybe it's less accurate but I don't think so. It also has a mod - レーザー・サイト - Laser Sight.

Next on the menu is melee weapon:
206-equip3.png

素手 - Bare Hand (Empty)
パワーレベル 6 - Power Level 3
ダメージルール M - Damage Rule - M

Same thing, I equip this thing:
207-equip4.png

ハンド・レザー - Hand Razor (PL 7, DR L)

Next is armor:

208-equip5.png

対弾防御 - Bullet defense
対衝撃防御 - Impact defense

アーマ・ジャケット - Armor Jacket (BD 5, ID 3)

And the last one is cyberware:

209-equip6.png

サイバーアイ - Cyber Eye
スマートリンク - Smart Link
強化反射神経1 - Reinforced Reflexes 1 (Boosted or Wired?)

So let's sum it up in short form:

Rokudo, human street samurai
BOD 6, AGI 4, STR 6, CHA 2, INT 5, WIL 5, MAG 0, REA 4+2, CYB 6
Unarmed 6, Melee 3, Firearms 5, Heavy 1, Magic 0
ウージーIII - Uzi III (SMG) + Laser Sight (F: Burst, PL 3, DR S, 2t/p, S:3/t, R:8)
ハンド・レザー - Hand Razor (PL 7, DR L)

Now that that's all over, let's proceed to beat the shit out of these guys.

210-hit.png

We miss our first punch, but hit with second:

211-hit2.png

Oof, that's gotta hurt. Anyway, we quickly beat two of them (they all miss constantly, plus note that any opponent gets a free attack back if they are attacked with melee) and when there's only one left, Izo intervenes:

212-down.png

And we have a nice, relaxed chat:

213-izo1.png

Heh, heh, heh, I guess that didn't translate well. Anyway, he tells his story. He was minding his own business when he got a call from one of Metals. They stumbled on the tsujigiri and needed his help. By the time he got there, the guy who called him was already dead. He took out his gun and shot a full clip into that weird samurai but the tsujigiri didn't even flinch. He just looked at Izo and laughed. So Izo started running scared. He ran into a corner, thinking he was about to die but then the strangest thing happened - the guy didn't run after him, the wind blown out of nowhere and he just vanished.

214-izo2.png

"I think I've fought him before somewhere." After that he also says that the last gang they fought were Wizards and tells us a name of their leader - Shadow Man (影使い). This Shadow Man is a tough wizard, apparently. He can summon powerful elemental spirits and cast mighty spells.

215-izo3.png

216-izo4.png

And then Izo says, "Screw you, I'll deal with him myself". And the party leaves. Outside, Mao asks, why did he do that?

217-rokudo1.png

"I wanted to remind him about his HONOR."

Guns don't work? Saved by a gust of wind? The party wonders. Shiun says we need to go back to that place where they fought and see for ourselves. Scene 3 opens up in the locations menu.

218-scene3.png

Hmm, what's that duct? Ventilation, offers D-Head. And there's bare earth here, too. Then suddenly:

219-scene3-2.png

So that's what this gust of wind is that Izo was talking about. It came from the ventilation shaft.

220-scene3-3.png

Looks like there's a little boy that's being attacked by a dog.

221-combat1.png

And we're offered our first Moral Choice of the game.

助ける - Help the boy
助けない - Don't bother

This one I'll pick myself, but maybe later on I'll ask the Codex what to choose, I haven't decided yet. On one hand this will unpredictably split the posts whenever the choice occurs, on the other hand it's probably more engaging. Tell me what you think. Anyway, we'll help the boy. And now the first Real Combat starts. Everybody is fully prepared now, let's see their stats and stuff:

222-shiun-stats.png

Shiun, human foma-kanpani-man
BOD 5, AGI 4, STR 5, CHA 2, INT 3, WIL 3, MAG 0, REA 3+0, CYB 5
Unarmed 6, Melee 1, Firearms 6, Heavy 4, Magic 0

ワィチェッティ・セキュリティ500 - Fichetti Security 500 (pistol) (F: Semi-Auto, PL 6, DR L, 2t/p, S:1/t, R:7)
素手 - Bare Hand (Empty) (PL 5, DR S)

Shiun is a better shot than Rokudo. But he's armed with shitty Fichetti. Why is it shitty? I dunno but I seem to miss with it a lot. So I immediately replace it with something Shiun has from the start of the game:

HK227 Sバリアント - HK227 S-Variant (SMG) + Gas Vent 2 (F: Burst, PL 10, DR S, 2t/p, S:3/t, R:8)

Power Level Ten. Noooice. His melee damage is 1 lower than Rokudo's, I guess that's STR bonus. Aaaand I forgot to look at his cyberware.

223-shiun1.png

Looks like that dog won't live long... Nope, he misses the second time, but Rokudo has his attack, so the dog goes down:

224-dog-down.png

I guess I won't be showing off the rest of the party members yet.

225-kid1.png

Meet Cholo, gentlemen:

226-kid2.png

The kid says he's got an invisible friend. Mao says it's likely a city spirit. Cholo tells how he was playing around here. Then tsujigiri appeared out of nowhere and attacked him. Cholo tried to run away and when he thought he was done for, a voice called out to him:

227-kid3.png

He said yes and tsujigiri disappeared. We decide to go back to scene 2:

228-scene2-1.png

Huh? Where'd the gangers go? We hear some screams:

229-scene2-2.png

And then...

230-scene2-3.png

Meet the tsujigiri.

231-scene2-4.png

Whu? Gone already?

232-scene2-5.png

Only the dying ganger remains.

"I... I just remembered... Shadow Man... *blegh*"

233-scene2-6.png

234-scene2-7.png

Okay. So we decided to go back to the bar to think about stuff and watch some news that I forgot to do at the start of the game.

235-bar1.png

236-news1.png

LOOK MA, I'M HACKING.

237-news2.png

選択して下さい - Please select item

辻斬事件 - Tsujigiri Incident
渋谷抗爭事件 - Shibuya Crime
X索終了 - End session

238-news3.png

There's been a series of murders for the past month.

239-news4.png

The victims include a Shibuya-based gang.

240-news5.png

The police made a portrait of the murderer using witness accounts.

241-news6.png

There's maybe magic involved. Well, we know all that already and more.

The second menu item tells us about the gang war in Shibuya. Shibuya Metals vs Yokohama Wizards. Wizards already lost dozens of members, so there may be a retaliation incoming.

242-news7.png

Anyway, it looks like we've forgotten something, it's not yet time to rest:

243-bar2.png

Good thinking, Shiun.

244-yokohama.png

245-yokohama2.png

I dunno, Mao, looks like Japan to me. Let's start by chatting with the locals.

246-passerby1.png

247-passerby2.png

248-passerby3.png

Just like in Shibuya, the first one is most useful. And just like the Metals, the Wizards hang out in their club called 文楼. It's pronounced either Bunrou or Fumirou and the funniest machine translation is Oyster Tower.

Sure enough, now we've got a new location menu item: 緋文楼 - Akafumi/Oyster Tower.

249-tower1.png

Apparently, it's closed today. We decide to leave but then this guy calls us:

250-tower2.png

Upon hearing we've come to chat with the Shadow Man, he offers to lead us to him.

251-tower3.png

And leads us into an alley instead.

252-alley.png

Mao notes that one of the others is a mage.

253-alley2.png

254-alley3.png

"OH FUCK", says the guy. "WE CAN LET 'EM LEAVE!"

And the combat starts.

255-combat1.png

While Rokudo and Shiun are busy dealing with the gangers, let's see the rest of the party stats.

256-stats-dhead.png

D-Head, elven decker
D-Head
BOD 2, AGI 5, STR 2, CHA 5, INT 5, WIL 4, MAG 0, REA 5+0, CYB 3
Unarmed 1, Melee 1, Firearms 3, Heavy 1, Magic 0
ブローニング・マックスパワー - Browning Max-Power (pistol) (F: Semi-Auto, PL 3, DR B, 2t/p, S:1/t, R:7)
素手 - Bare Hand (Empty) (PL 2, DR S)
アーマー・クロージング - Armor Clothing (BD 3, ID 0)

As expected, D-Head's stats are shit. I have a dreadful feeling that there's no actual hacking in this game so he's decidedly second-tier. BTW, the armor stats are right from the SR3 rulebook. Weapons aren't though, it seems. Same thing, I forgot to look at his cyberware but he probably doesn't have any. We've only Mao left now:

257-stats-mao.png

Mao, human cat shaman
BOD 4, AGI 3, STR 2, CHA 5, INT 4, WIL 6, MAG 6, REA 3+0, CYB 0
Unarmed 1, Melee 1, Firearms 3, Heavy 1, Magic 5
ベレッタ・モデル101T - Beretta Model 101T (light pistol) (F: Semi-Auto, PL 6, DR L, 2t/p, S:1/t, R:7)
素手 - Bare Hand (Empty) (PL 2, DR S)
アーマー・クロージング - Armor Clothing (BD 3, ID 0)

Same shit, except her gun's better. Aaaand...

258-stats-mao2.png

フォース - Force
ダメージ - Damage
ドレイン - Drain

She's got two spells! Which are:

マナ・ボルト - Mana bolt (Fr 3, Dmg S, Dr 1 S)
スリープ - Sleep (Fr 2, Dmg M, Dr 0 S)

At this point I gotta quote the Japanese reviewer:
"In this game, no matter how high the value is, the range spell will always miss.

You may think, "That's ridiculous." I thought it was my fault, and I tried many times with various range spells. But no matter how many times I tried, the number of successes was zero. I can only say it's a bug. But that's okay, because single spells can do good damage, and it's impossible to get a one-shot reversal with spells in the first place. Rather, let's just imagine Mao failing and have fun!"

https://corestrike.hatenadiary.org/entry/20111201/1322751830

えーと、一応解説しておきますね。
本作では、どんなに高い達成値を叩き出しても、範囲呪文は必ず外れます。

「そんなアホな〜」

と思われるでしょう。
私も自分が悪いと思って、様々な範囲呪文で何度も試してみました。
でもね、何度やっても成功数は0なんです。
もうバグとしか言いようがない。
でもまぁ、単体呪文はキチンとダメージ通るし、そもそも呪文で一発逆転無理なんでいいんです。
むしろマオタソが失敗する様を想像して、楽しもうじゃありませんか!*14

Yeah, when I tried it, Mana Bolt always missed. Haven't had a chance to try Sleep yet, though. At least Beretta is better than Browning. Also I don't have a clue about how drain works here (goes into the stun damage tracker? SR players, comment, please).

259-combat2.png

Their mage casts something purple, too. And it misses, too. Our frontmen proceed to mow the opposition down without suffering a hit.

260-combat3.png

261-talk1.png

262-talk2.png

263-talk3.png

Apparently, their head honcho has been dead for a month. Hit by a stray bullet during a fight, he did not survive. And when Metals find out, they're gonna wipe the Wizards out. That's why he attacked us. We show him a holo of the tsujigiri.

264-talk4.png

Now there's our answer. Tsujigiri is a rogue spirit.

265-talk5.png

266-talk6.png

267-talk7.png

Sure, Mao. Let's go grab a drink, relax and think it over.

268-bar.png

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I don't think that damage spell is bugged, since the opponents are spell casters themselves you need very high rolls for the spell to be effective.

The Sleep spell though is maybe bugged. It never worked for me when I played.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
UPDATE 03: WASHI WO OSOREYO, SHI WO OSOREYO

"You were settling in for an evening by the fire. Then a note was slipped to you."

301-bar.png

So let's go over what we know so far.

302-bar.png

Tsujigiri is a spirit that can take a form of samurai that was controlled by the Shadow Man, a powerful mage from Wizard's Edge. Now that he's dead, the spirit should've left. But somehow it stays on the material plane appearing out of nowhere and attacking people. One of the survivors was saved by the breeze from the ventilation duct and the other one by another, even more mysterious spirit.

303-bar.png

Yeah, you do that, Mao. we're gonna need some expert opinions before going in balls deep.

304-grandma.png

Tokaido is the name of grandma's shop and she's also Mao's teacher.

305-grandma2.png

What's that, grandma?

306-grandma3.png

Apparently, most of the time spirits that are summoned by mages leave this world when the mage dies, but some powerful ones can stay on. Mao remembers that all the places the spirit appeared in had bare earth and that they were saved by a gust of wind.

307-grandma4.png

And they also don't like wind, too.

308-grandma5.png

Mao tells grandma about Cholo, and she replies that it must be a very powerful spirit, too, that helped him. And in the meantime in the bar:

309-bar.png

Rokudo's got a useful contact of his own (トリプルZ).

310-bar.png

So he goes off, too.

311-triplez.png

312-triplez.png

313-triplez.png

314-triplez.png

315-triplez.png

316-triplez.png

That's all he has to say, so Rokudo returns to the bar.

317-bar.png

The party proceeds to give their opinions:
318-bar.png

319-bar.png

320-bar.png

Then suddenly:
321-bar.png

322-bar.png

It's our Johnson:
323-hajime.png

324-hajime.png

You damn samurai, Izo.

325-hajime.png

326-hajime.png

エンジェル・クリニック, you say? Okay, be there in a sec.

327-clinic.png

Damn you, Izo.

328-clinic.png

329-clinic.png

Woah.

330-clinic.png

He meant to say "You motivated me", no homo.

331-clinic.png

332-clinic.png

What sword, Izo?

333-clinic.png

334-clinic.png

335-clinic.png

336-clinic.png

『雅黒』
『がこく』という銘か
"Masakuro" (Elegant black)
"Gakoku" whatever-the-fuck

Okay, I need some moonhelp here. What did he mean? I'm gonna call the blade Masakuro, since it's what it's called in the status screen (which I later forget to equip in the fight).

337-clinic.png

You sure, bud? It's not a cheap katana from the nearest shop? We chat with the doc just in case:

338-clinic.png

And promptly leave to the place where Tsujigiri supposedly awaits:

339-scene.png

We chat with a couple of lines, and then:

340-adventure.png

WHAT??? There's an adventure mode in this game??? Okay, don't get your hopes up.

341-adventure.png

The menu called by A button consists out of meager two options:

ポケットセクレタリー - Pocket secretary
医療キット - Medkit (opens up a list of party members)

Pocket secretary opens us two options:
メシセージ - Message speed
ステイタス - Status

That's where I screw up and don't bother to find that you CAN actually look at character status in adventure mode. But no matter. Just a couple of steps and we're met with an ominous voice:

342-adventure.png

343-adventure.png

344-adventure.png

Mao is all perky:

345-adventure.png

346-adventure.png

347-adventure.png

348-adventure.png

349-adventure.png

And it's combat from there on. Tsujigiri moves first:

350-combat.png

Starting off with a mighty katana slash to Mao:
351-combat.png

:rage:

Just like that, Mao is down. And, it appears that guns really don't work, just like everybody said:

352-combat.png

Now I remember that I've wanted to take a look at Shiun's cyberware:

353-status.png

Oh shit, he has a fucking smart link, too? (スマートリンク - Smart Link) That means I will screw up a bit in the future past when making some choices. FORESHADOWING.

What about D-Head?

354-status.png

Okay, this guy is surprisingly empty. So far it looks like there's no decking gameplay here, he usually just plot-surfs the MediaNet or w/e it's called.

355-combat.png

Remember that cryptic advice from Triple-Z about willpower? I've tried it offscreen and I just got hit with 6 points of damage, IIRC. In fact, this time I even forget to equip that named katana until later on. Sorry, I can't tell if being a katana street samurai is at all viable in this game, so far I've been sticking with guns and it works fine. Anyway, back to the fight, we all maneuver around like chicken and miss each other for some time (I'm not sure if moving around helps but it does seem that the tsujigiri misses you more if he has to move before attacking). And then tsujigiri starts talking:

356-combat.png

357-combat.png

358-combat.png

わしを恐れよ
死を恐れよ
WASHI WO OSOREYO
SHI WO OSOREYO

They really know how to talk big, don't they.
359-combat.png

At this point Mao suddenly gets up:
360-combat.png

And now it's obvious that this is a quest fight.
361-combat.png

362-combat.png

363-combat.png

364-combat.png

365-combat.png

366-combat.png

And we're off to combat in a different place:
367-combat.png

This time D-Head gets it but survives:
368-combat.png

... until the next round:
369-combat.png

Anyways, it's a repeat of the first combat, the quest script is satisfied with a single victim and we go on with dancing and missing each other. Until once again:
370-combat.png

D-Head gets up. But Mao starts to panic:
371-combat.png

372-combat.png

Then, miraculously, she is answered:
373-combat.png

374-combat.png

375-combat.png

She remembers talking with Cholo:
376-combat.png

And says that we do really need the spirit's help.

377-combat.png

378-combat.png

379-combat.png

380-combat.png

381-combat.png

And tsujigiri proceeds to strike Mao down once again:

382-combat.png

The guide said help the kid so I did that. I'm not sure how it goes in case we don't. I guess this is left as an exercise to the reader :smug:. So anyway now we can deal damage to the spirit:

383-combat.png

We miss a lot so I use aimed shot mostly, it seems to be a bit better. And the spirit misses a lot, too. I can only remember a single time he managed to hit (thank god):

384-combat.png

Actually no, make that two:

385-combat.png

But he's almost down. A moment later:

386-combat.png

387-combat.png

Mao auto-gets up. Aaaand we're back in the bar. What an adventure it was! Time for some well-earned XP, beer and comely wenches, har-har!

:troll:
Yeah, well, no. No XP in this game. And so far we've got a single wench if we're not counting grandma.

388-bar.png

389-bar.png

390-bar.png

391-bar.png

392-bar.png

393-bar.png

394-bar.png

Ooooooh, riiiiight. We've got a moral choice. A couple of moments later Hajime walks into the bar:

395-bar.png

396-bar.png

397-choice.png

真相を明かす - Reveal the truth
真相を明かさない - Don't do it

Since nobody said anything, I'll go with the peaceful approach and won't reveal anything:

398-bar.png

399-bar.png

400-bar.png

401-bar.png

402-bar.png

403-bar.png

And after he leaves, Shiun says what everyone is thinking:

404-bar.png

405-bar.png

Mao has her monologue:

406-mao.png

407-mao.png

408-mao.png

Who, indeed?

409-mao.png

And that concludes the first module of the campaign. The next one starts immediately.

410-vision.png

地下のオークたち - It's called Orcs In The Basement.

But you're gonna have to wait until next time to find out. What orcs? Which basement? What the devil are orcs doing in the basement? Shouldn't it be rats instead? So many questions. So. Many.

Last edited:

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
UPDATE 04: SHOPPING

501-intro.png

502-intro.png

Neither do I, Mao. What the fuck this even is?

503-intro.png

504-intro.png

505-intro.png

Mao, stop babbling.

506-intro.png

507-intro.png

508-intro.png

509-intro.png

510-intro.png

511-intro.png

512-intro.png

513-intro.png

Oof, that was intense.

514-intro.png

Indeed.

515-intro.png

Yeah, they do it for me, too.

516-intro.png

517-intro.png

And we're back in the bar, drinking and waiting for our next Johnson to come in. Everyone's here except Mao.

518-bar.png

519-bar.png

520-bar.png

Yeah, fuck magic. Shion is still butthurt a tiny bit about the last mission:

521-bar.png

Rokudo agrees that they got lucky:

522-bar.png

It's the edge, man, it's the edge. Then our bartender, who apparently moonlights as our fixer, says:

523-bar.png

524-bar.png

525-bar.png

526-bar.png

お待たせしました
こちらのご主人に
紹介をお願いした者ですが

Ahem. Okay, this one's where the guy says goshujin meaning something like "master" (politely) and apparently it also means husband. So I think he said something like "Thank you for waiting, I'm the guy who contacted your master."

527-bar.png

528-bar.png

529-bar.png

The guy says that lately some of his workers have been disappearing and wants us to find them. Rokudo is against it:

530-bar.png

So is Shion:

531-bar.png

The guy says he wouldn't even bother us with it, except for:

532-bar.png

Ah, rumors about the monsters you say? Well, then it's settled. 200 gold per party member and all the loot is ours, alright? :smug:

533-bar.png

534-bar.png

Oh, shut it, Shion. Every party does that since time immemorial. And it never leads to any problems, right? Suddenly Mao bursts in:

535-bar.png

536-bar.png

Right, we're going off on rumors and a shaman's dream, then.

537-bar.png

From this point on the word "mutants" (変異生物) is always surroundeed by quotes signifying... whatever the fuck it's signifying. I'm not sure what he means. Perhaps he just means metahumans? Or were there some horrible mutations in Tokyo back in the day that had to be put down? Or they just hate everyone not human? Not sure. Workers are leaving and they can't go on like this. And we have a choice:

538-bar.png

依頼を引き受ける - Accept a request
依頼人を追及する - Pressure the client for more

Yeah, not much of a choice. I save and we press on:

539-bar.png

The choice changes a bit:

540-bar.png

依頼を引き受ける - Accept a request
依頼を断る - Decline a request

Well, we don't decline quests here, so we accept.

541-bar.png

Yeah, yeah. How much?

542-bar.png

Mao's been babbling again.

543-bar.png

Well, the money's decent, so let's do it.

544-bar.png

545-bar.png

546-bar.png

547-bar.png

548-bar.png

So do we, Mr. Johnson, so do we. He leaves off and Mao explains why she was so insistent on taking this mission. She tells about her dream:

549-bar.png

And now I can finally understand wtf was that on the earlier dream screenshots.

550-bar.png

551-bar.png

552-bar.png

553-bar.png

554-bar.png

Let's start by chatting with our contacts. Oh, what's that? Seems like a lot of new options:

555-bar.png

ナツト - Natsuto
データネット - Datanet
十日堂 - Tokaido
トリプルZ - Triple Z
エンジェルクリニック - Angel Clinic
ジョンソン - Johnson
ハジメ - Hajime

Let's start with the usual. What does Natsuto have to say?

556-natsuto.png

557-natsuto.png

558-natsuto.png

559-natsuto.png

Well, bummer. Then it's Datanet with D-Head:

560-datanet.png

561-datanet.png

562-datanet.png

563-datanet.png

564-datanet.png

565-datanet.png

Not much either. So far D-Head is proving to be a disappointment with the lack of Matrix gameplay (though the Mobygames review mentions there will be some). It's Granny next:

566-tokaido.png

567-tokaido.png

568-tokaido.png

569-tokaido.png

Granny tells us that many shamans she knows have had a similar dream. Perhaps someone was trying to tell them something, she doesn't know. But now we have a new menu in Tokaido:

570-tokaido.png

話す - Talk
呪文の習得 - Learn spell
呪文のレベルアップ - Level up spell
店を出る - Leave

Ooooh, what's that? Granny does indeed have a shop. So what spells can we learn?

571-tokaido.png

We find out that we have 14000 nuyen (as a sign of proper Japanese UI design you can only do that in a shop) and the list of spells. Notice anything interesting? Well, there's more spells then there are displayed but, of course, no indication that there are more menu items. It took me something like 30 minutes to stumble on it by chance in another shop. Anyway, here's the list of spells. And when you select any of it, Granny helpfully explains what they do. I'll sum it up.

SPELLS

マナ・ボール - Mana Ball (Fr 1, Dmg M, Dr 0 S) (2700y), [AOE, Useful against enemies with high physical strength]
マナ・ボルト - Mana Bolt (Fr 1, Dmg S, Dr 0 S) (2000y), [Against enemies with high physical strength]
パワー・ボール - Power Ball (Fr 1, Dmg M, Dr 1 S) (3400y), [AOE, Bad against enemies with high physical strength]
パワー・ボルト - Power Bolt (Fr 1, Dmg S, Dr 1 S) (2000y), [Effective against enemies with strong will and low strength, like wizards]
ヒール - Heal (Fr 1, Dmg L, Dr 0 S) (1400y)
スリープ - Sleep (Fr 1, Dmg M, Dr 1 S) (2500y)

And there's our hint as to why Mana Bolt wasn't working! It's supposed to be used against gangers, not wizards. You might've also noticed that both Mana Bolt and Sleep are different from the ones Mao already has. This is because hers are already leveled up a bit. I don't buy anything yet because with the limited amount of money I want to get the full picture first. Heal seems like an obvious thing, though.

The other menu item, level up, shows us a list of our spells:

572-tokaido.png

Mana Bolt is level 3 and Sleep is level 2. The cost to level any one up seems to be 1000 nuyen. So let's see what Triple Z has to offer:

573-triplez.png

574-triplez.png

買る - Buy
売る - Sell

Every menu item is full of flavor text that you can read in the video if you want and the buy menu has multiple layers and confirmation windows:

• 買る - Buy
    • 統器 - Ranged Weapons
      • ライト・ピストル - Light Pistols
      • ヘビー・ピストル - Heavy Pistols
      • サブマシンガン - Submachine Guns
    • 接近戰武器 - Melee Weapons
    • 防具 - Armor
    • 銃改造 - Gun Mods

Sweeeeeet. Amusingly, OCR failed at first and recognized the second option as ベビー・ピストル (BEBI PISTORU) and translation proceeded with "baby pistols". I fixed bebi to hebi in post. Z tells us that light pistols can't be modified much but are easily concealable (which I'm willing to bet is useless in this game). Here's the full list of available merchandise:

LIGHT PISTOLS

ワィチェッティ・セキュリティ500 - Fichetti Security 500 (F: Semi-Auto, PL 6, DR L, 2t/p, S:1/t, R:7) (400y) [1 slot]
ベレッタ・モデル101T - Beretta Model 101T (F: Semi-Auto, PL 6, DR L, 2t/p, S:1/t, R:7) (350y), [0 slots]
ベレッタ・モデル200ST - Beretta Model 200ST (F: Semi-Auto/Burst Fire, PL 6, DR L, 2t/p, S:1/t, R:7) (750y), [1 slot]

Heavy pistols according to Z have supposedly lower range but higher power. As you can see, range is the same if I'm not missing anything.

HEAVY PISTOLS

アレス・プレデター - Ares Predator (F: Semi-Auto, PL 9, DR M, 2t/p, S:1/t, R:7) (450y), [1 slot]
ブローニング・マックスパワー - Browning Max-Power (F: Semi-Auto, PL 9, DR M, 2t/p, S:1/t, R:7) (450y), [2 slots]
ルガー・スーパー・ウォーホーク - Ruger Super Warhawk (F: Single Shot, PL 10, DR M, 2t/p, S:1/t, R:7) (300y), [0 slots]
アルス・プレデターII - Ares Predator II (F: Semi-Auto, PL 9, DR M, 2t/p, S:1/t, R:7) (550y), [0 slots]

One thing to note here. Back in the second update I've stated that Ares Predator has PL 3. This is due to the retarded font they've used in the status screen:

204-equip1.png

Now we can see that it's a proper 9 instead:

575-triplez.png

He notes the newer version which he already has, heh. Let's move on to SMG. Note that these can have various mods already installed. You can't replace those and mod slots counter does not include them. Plus they make various mutually exclusive mods unavailable.

SMG

ウージーIII - Uzi III (SMG) + Laser Sight (F: Burst, PL 6, DR M, 2t/p, S:3/t, R:8) (600y), [2 slots], レーザー・サイト - Laser Sight
SHOP HK227 Sバリアント - HK227 S-Variant (SMG) (F: Burst, PL 7, DR M, 2t/p, S:3/t, R:8) (1500y), [1 slot], ガスベント II - Gas Vent 2
MP-5 TX (F: Semi-Auto/Burst/Full, PL 6, DR M, 2t/p, S:5/t, R:8) (850y), [3 slots], ガスベント II - Gas Vent 2, レーザー・サイト - Laser Sight
イングラム・スマートガン - Ingram Smartgun (F: Burst/Full, PL 7, DR M, 2t/p, S:5/t, R:8) (950y), [1 slot], ガスベント II - Gas Vent 2, スマートガン・システム - Smartgun System
サンドラーTMP - Sandler TMP (F: Burst/Full, PL 6, DR M, 2t/p, S:5/t, R:8) (500y), [2 slots], レーザー・サイト - Laser Sight, 衝擊吸收パッド - Shock Pads

Now remember the retarded 9 that looks like 3? It's even more fun in the case of Uzi III. Rokudo's Uzi:

205-equip2.png

And the shop version:

576-triplez.png

Well, you tell me what's going on. The only thing I can think of is that the starting equipment of the characters is just different from the shop version and they forgot to fix it. Same thing with Shiun's HK227:

577-hk227.png

Versus the shop one:

578-hk227.png

Melee weapons have only two options:

ナイフ - Knife (PL 7, DR M) (30y)
刀 - Katana (PL 筋力(STR)+7, DR M) (1000y)

The first one is a joke but the second one adds character strength to the power level. So like Rokudo should have PL 13 with it? I should be checking that out since he's built as a street samurai but I don't bother to do it since guns seem to work just fine in all fights. Moving on to the armor section:

ARMOR

アーマー・ベスト - Armor Vest (BD 2, ID 1) (200y)
アーマー・クロージング - Armor Clothing (BD 3, ID 0) (500y)
補強コート - Reinforced Coat (BD 4, ID 2) (700y)
プレートイ寸ベスト - Vest With Plates (BD 4, ID 3) (600y)
アーマ・ジャケット - Armor Jacket (BD 5, ID 3) (900y)
パーシャル・スーツ - Partial Suit (BD 6, ID 4) (4000y)
フル・スーツ - Full Suit (BD 8, ID 6) (10000y)
合成レザー - Composite Leather (BD 0, ID 1) (250y)
天然レザー - Natural Leather (BD 0, ID 2) (700y)

Everything is straightforward here. We've bullet defence and impact defence. And man, those suits are expensive. The second obvious thing to do here is to buff D-Head's and Mao's armor to something useful from the default armor clothing. Now let's go to the final option, gun mods. In this case we first choose a character, then one of their guns (as far as I can tell, every character has their own inventory). And then pick a mod from the full list. Note that some mods won't go into some of the weapons due to size and exclusivity limitations and you'll find that out only when you try to install it. The full list of gun mods is as follows. Note that the details in square brackets are something I took from the tabletop rules, it's not visible in the game and you can't be sure it actually is the same.

GUN MODS

ガスベント I - Gas Vent I, 200y, [1 recoil compesation]
ガスベント II - Gas Vent II, 450y, [2 recoil compesation]
ガスベント III - Gas Vent III, 700y, [3 recoil compesation]
衝擊吸收パッド - Shock Pads, 200y, [1 recoil compesation, SMG and higher]
二脚架 - Bipod, 400y, [2 recoil compesation]
三脚 - Tripod, 600y, [6 recoil compesation, for machine-gun or larger]
超音波サイト - Ultrasonic Sight, 1300y, [reduces modifiers from light/invisibility]
レーザー・サイト - Laser Sight, 500y, [–1 target number modifier for firearms tests, cannot use with smartgun system]
スマート・ゴーグル - Smart Goggles, 3000y, [analog of smart link, receive signals from smartgun systems]
スマートガン・システム - Smartgun Systems, 600y, [needs smart goggles/smart link, -2 target number modifier for firearms tests]
スコープ1 - Scope 1, 500y, ["extends the range of the gun". May not be used with smartlink. Changes a weapon’s range category by a number equal to the device’s rating. A Rating 2 targeting scope firing at long range, for example, would shift the weapon’s range two places to the left on the Weapon Range Table, changing long range to short range. The base target number, normally 6 for a long-range attack, would drop to 4 for short-range attacks.]
スコープ2 - Scope 2, 800y
スコープ3 - Scope 3, 1200y
スコープ4 - Scope 4, 1700y

Since Rokudo and Shion both have a smart link, smartgun systems seems like a good choice. Except at the time of making a video I didn't know about Shion's link so I don't do that and go with the laser instead. Also scopes do increase the range of the weapon (tested in later combat) but note how according to the rules the accuracy should be different based on the sub-range. Later on I try to move my characters so that they are closer to the enemies and that seems like it improves the accuracy a bit. But it also improves the enemies accuracy, too.

That seems to be it in buying options from Triple Z at this point. But what's this about firing modes? The eagle-eyed reader should've noted how some weapons have multiple. Here's the excerpt of recoil rules from SR3e:

"Weapons that fire more than one round in an action suffer from an escalating recoil modifier as the rounds leave the weapon. Semi-automatic weapons that fire a second shot receive a +1 modifier for the second shot only. Burst-fire weapons receive a +3 recoil modifier for each burst fired in that Combat Phase. Therefore, a character who fires the maximum of two bursts in an action receives a +3 modifier for the first burst and an additional +3 modifier (total of +6) for the second burst. Full-autofire weapons add a cumulative +1 modifier for each round fired that Combat Phase. That is, a character choosing to fire a seven-round, full-autofire burst receives a +7 modifier. If that same character chooses instead to fire two five-round full-auto bursts, he would take a +5 modifier for the first burst and a +10 modifier for the second burst (having fired ten rounds). Characters can only counter a recoil modifier with recoil compensation or gyro stabilization."

Recoil, semi-automatic +1 for second shot that Combat Phase
Recoil, burst-fire +3 per burst that Combat Phase
Recoil, full-auto +1 per round fired that Combat Phase

Beats me if it works the same way in this game but it seems that what we need to know is the more shots are in the firing mode, the less accurate they will be. Which will be needed to be compensated through the use of various gun mods.

FIRING MODES

セミ・オート - Semi-Automatic
バースト・ファイア - Burst Fire
シングル・ショット - Single Shot
フル・オート - Full Auto

Oh, and we can sell stuff now?

579-triplez.png

580-triplez.png

Well, fuck you, Z. Now I head back to exploring other contacts before going on a shopping spree. Let's go to Angel Clinic:

581-angel.png

582-angel.png

サイバーウエア - Cyberware
クリックを出る - Leave

When we choose the first one, the doctor comes in and offers to install cyberware. First you choose the character and then browse the full list. As expected, it's expensive. Same as with the gun mods, the numbers in the square brackets are from the SR3e rules untested:

CYBERWARE

サイバーアイ - Cyber Eye (2500y), [When fighting in the dark, you won't have your hit rate reduced]
スマートリンク - Smart Link (1200y), [Needed for Smartgun]
強化反射神経1 - Wired Reflexes 1 (12000y), [REA +2]
強化反射神経1 - Wired Reflexes 2 (17500y), [REA +4]
皮膚護甲1 - Dermal Plating 1 (3000y), [BOD +1]
皮膚装甲2 - Dermal Plating 2 (7500y), [BOD +2]
人工筋肉1 - Artificial Muscles 1 (10000y), [AGI +1, STR +1]
人工筋肉2 - Artificial Muscles 2 (20000y), [AGI +2, STR +2]

I think it's safe to say that we won't be buying anything here yet. At this point in the video I return back to Grandma and Z, and explore the rest of shop lists. Next on the contacts list is so-called Johnson. I thought it was our Johnson but apparently, it's just a guy called Johnson that Shiun knows from his corpo days.

583-shiun.png

584-shiun.png

585-johnson.png

586-johnson.png

ゴズム - Gozumu. I'm not sure if it's the right name but it does sound cool.

587-johnson.png

He says that due to bankruptcy its data was lost and it looks like shuts off the connection after that. Probably another information contact. Hajime doesn't pick up so the rest of the video is me buying this list:

Rokudo:
イングラム・スマートガン - Ingram Smartgun (F: Burst/Full, PL 7, DR M, 2t/p, S:5/t, R:8) (950y) [Gas Vent 2 + Smartgun System]
スコープ2 - Scope 2, 800y

Shion:
レーザー・サイト - Laser Sight, 500y

Mao:
ヒール - Heal (Fr 1, Dmg L, Dr 0 S) (1400y), Upgrade +1 (1000y) [becomes level 3, since it looks like all spells start with level 2 for Mao, likely a stat bonus]
パワー・ボルト - Power Bolt (Fr 1, Dmg S, Dr 1 S) (2000y)
ベレッタ・モデル200ST - Beretta Model 200ST (F: Semi-Auto/Burst Fire, PL 6, DR L, 2t/p, S:1/t, R:7) (750y)

D-Head:
スコープ3 - Scope 3, 1200y

Mao has got the biggest list of purchases, I bought Power Bolt in the end when it was clear that everyone else was good. Should've bought Scope 3 for Rokudo, too and Shion is already fine. Technically, both Mao and D-Head can equip automatic weapons but with Firearms 3 I figured there wasn't much point. Plus Mao is supposed to do magic anyways.

Phew, that leaves us with 2600 nuyen. And now we're ready to get outside into the Greater Tokyo Underworld next time.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
Make a hard save whenever you decide to buy anything. Money is very limited in this game and equipment means everything because your party doesn't level. Buying useless crap can easily land you in a boss fight that's impossible to win.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
UPDATE 05: ORCS IN THE BASEMENT

601-bar.png

It's time to go to 池袋 - Ikebukuro.

602-ike.png

603-ike.png

604-ike.png

605-ike.png

606-ike.png

607-ike.png

Ikebukuro was left as is afterwards.

608-ike.png

609-ike.png

610-ike.png

I'm not versed in Tokyo Shadowrun lore so I don't know anything about this event. Let's talk to that 住人 (local) over there.

611-ike.png

612-ike.png

Normally, I'd draw my cyberkatana hearing that but somehow I decide to be polite instead. We've got the following choices:

613-choice.png

打ち解けるように - Be friendly
取り引きする - Businesslike
ごく普通に - Normal
脅す - Threaten

614-ike.png

615-ike.png

616-ike.png

617-ike.png

618-ike.png

619-ike.png

620-ike.png

621-ike.png

622-ike.png

Well, we do look like wusses now. Let's go underground.

623-line.png

624-line.png

Helpful guy there says to be careful.

625-line.png

626-line.png

And we step into our first dungeon!

627-line.png

Okay, it's more of a "follow the line until you find a hole".

628-line.png

629-line.png

Uh-huh.

630-line.png

Excellent observation skills, guys. Well, there's nothing else to do but go in.

631-line.png

Follow another line until we find...

632-line.png

633-line.png

634-line.png

635-line.png

636-line.png

637-line.png

A couple more steps and...

638-line.png

639-line.png

640-choice.png

We get a standard choice of:
加勢する - Help
静観する - Calmly watch

Well, I help everyone I meet in the grand adventurer tradition so we join the fight. D-Head is being an asshole and tells us we shouldn't expect any thanks in return. We start the fight by equipping Rokudo with his new stuff which still sounds a bit retarded.

641-equip-ingram.png

We can notice a couple things here. First, Ingram Smartgun became PL 10 from PL 7 in the shop. That means that chars get PL bonus either from firearms skill or from one of the attributes. Second, we can choose firing mode before every shot if we desire here. Also without any time spend.

武器の持ち替え - Change weapon
射撃モードの変更 - Change firing mode (burst fire/full auto in this case)

642-equip-ingram.png

Another thing I noticed just now. Changing to full auto gives us +2 PL and +2 shots/phase. And I finally equip Masakuro:

643-equip.png

PL 10, which is probably like katana, so it's X + STR bonus. Our range has also increased:

644-combat.png

645-combat.png

Good damage. Rokudo misses the second shot but Shion murders the bug.

646-combat.png

Rokudo moves for the second time and hits another bug:

647-combat.png

At this point I start to wonder. All combat in the game so far was too easy. Perhaps a sudden difficulty wall is incoming later on and I've already been warned about unwinnable boss fights so I'll probably stop with any more upgrades for now. Anyway, we dress D-Head up but his Browning only makes 3 damage per shot. The orcs and bugs all miss and it's Mao's time up. Remembering what I've read about Mana Bolt, I decide to check it out on a bug and what do you know!

648-combat.png

マオがリッター2を攻撃6の身体ダメージを与えました
Mao attacks "Ritter-2" for 6 damage!

Well, well. Looks like mana bolt is working as intended. We attack the last bug and as soon as it receives damage, it runs away ending the combat.

649-combat.png

The orcs are thankful.

650-orcs.png

But still want us to leave.

651-orcs.png

652-orcs.png

653-orcs.png

654-orcs.png

655-orcs.png

And he doesn't want to talk about the bug either. We decide to follow the monster and go into the hole.

656-cave.png

Which brings us further into the dungeon, some kind of cave. I miss on exploring the left path. The right one contains another fight with 3 bugs who give us no problems whatsoever and then further on:

657-cave.png

658-cave.png

659-cave.png

Runners? No, more like mercenaries (or soldiers), says Rokudo.

660-cave.png

661-cave.png

662-cave.png

And this is where I miss a chance to go back and see what's on the left path. Nevermind, now it's another battle.

663-combat.png

There are three soldiers and two bugs here. Rokudo deals nice damage to one of them then misses his second attack. That's where I decide to make another experiment:

664-combat.png

That's right, I've chosen Sleep spell. A movable target area selector appears:

665-combat.png

I carefully target most of the enemy combatants:

666-combat.png

And the game plays an animation on every one of them sequentially:

667-combat.png

Followed by the green text below:

668-combat.png

マオが傭兵1を攻撃攻撃が外れました。
Mao attacks "Soldier 1" and misses.

According to the game, Mao misses on every one of them. The weirdest thing is that our party gets a full turn before the opponents start moving. Maybe I'm mistaken though. Perhaps we'll need to upgrade our Sleep some more? Or just forget about its existence altogether. Anyway, once it's Mao's turn again, I decide to cast the spell once again out of curiosity on the remaining opponents:

669-combat.png

Same thing. Mao receive 0 drain again, btw. We proceed to ruthlessly eliminate the opposition and then the party investigates the scene:

670-cave.png

671-cave.png

672-cave.png

673-cave.png

674-cave.png

675-cave.png

And we go back to the orcs.

676-orcs.png

Rokudo tells the orc we're looking for subway workers and this time the orc guy is a bit less of an ass:

677-orcs.png

678-orcs.png

679-orcs.png

680-orcs.png

The orc says those things have lived here for a long time. But they never were this big and this violent.

681-orcs.png

682-orcs.png

The orc says when he's healed, they'll bring him back up.

683-orcs.png

We go back to Silver Moon to take an unnecessary rest (nobody was ever hurt on our side). But I guess resting in the dungeon is totally not a good idea.

684-bar.png

Next time: More thinking and more talking to contacts again.

Last edited:

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
I'm still cautious about the sudden difficulty spike. So far I've had 3/4 chars down in an optional fight and Rokudo down in a non-optional. Turns out he takes the same 6 damage per attack from automatic weapons as the mooks from mine.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
UPDATE 06: THE ONE LED BY CAT

701-bar.png

Once again we find ourselves in Silver Moon.

702-bar.png

703-bar.png

704-bar.png

705-bar.png

706-bar.png

707-bar.png

708-bar.png

Let's start by chatting with Nat.

709-nat.png

710-nat.png

711-nat.png

712-nat.png

This blockade he's talking about will be explored in the next adventure. Apparently, after the Night of Rage Japanese government walled off a section of Tokyo with most of the goblinized individuals forced to live there. It's essentially a reservation with no government of its own split between the racial lines (in the adventure there are dwarves- and elves-only areas). I've procured a copy of Shadows of Asia splatbook and there's no mention of this in the Japan section. The game likely takes place in 2040s and the book is from 2005, dealing with 2060s so it's all ancient history and maybe doesn't deserve a mention.

713-nat.png

All rumors are true in D&D, Nat. He can't tell us anything about the monsters, but he's heard yet another rumor:

714-nat.png

715-nat.png

This is possibly the guy that hired the mercs. Checking the datanet gives us the following info:

716-data.png

717-data.png

718-data.png

719-data.png

720-data.png

Mao goes to visit the oba-chan:

721-mao.png

722-mao.png

723-mao.png

724-mao.png

725-mao.png

Z can't tell us anything and the bastard did not make the selling available yet. Remembering about the weird ampule, we decide to visit the clinic as well:

726-clinic.png

727-clinic.png

728-clinic.png

729-clinic.png

730-clinic.png

731-clinic.png

732-clinic.png

Let's chat with our corpo contact too:

733-corpo.png

734-corpo.png

735-corpo.png

736-corpo.png

737-corpo.png

738-corpo.png

Thanks, bud. That explains who the supposed weird guy in the sewers could be.

739-corpo.png

740-corpo.png

741-corpo.png

742-corpo.png

Hajime is still not available. We reiterate everything we know so far and then Mao offers something else:

743-mao.png

744-mao.png

Back in the days of SR2e insect spirits were the main evil thing so it's hard to find an adventure without them. Shion says that he's checked out the data he received and it's a map saying that there was a "monster nest" back in the hole where the monster ran away to. It doesn't mark any orc villages, though, since corpos aren't interested in those, apparently. The team decides to go back into the dungeon. Near the barricade:

745-cave.png

746-cave.png

We move past the barricade into a new opening. There's a long corridor there ending with another hole:

747-cave.png

748-cave.png

Which leads us right into the Moral Choice.

749-choice.png

加勢する - Assist
静観する - Calmly watch

Well, I'm a softie, so I choose the first option.

750-combat.png

We start right near the bugs.

751-combat.png

Rokudo and Shion quickly mow down the first one, then Mao finishes off the second one with a mana bolt:

752-combat.png

And someone offs the last one. Anyway, the orc is finally warming up to us:

753-orc.png

754-orc.png

755-orc.png

756-orc.png

757-orc.png

Aaaand we're here:

758-village.png

We automatically enter one of the huts:

759-village.png

760-hut.png

761-hut.png

762-hut.png

763-hut.png

764-hut.png

765-hut.png

766-hut.png

767-hut.png

768-hut.png

We talk to the worker too:

769-hut.png

770-hut.png

771-hut.png

772-hut.png

773-hut.png

774-hut.png

775-hut.png

776-hut.png

Proceeding to chat with the orc:

777-hut.png

778-hut.png

FORESHADOWING?

779-hut.png

780-hut.png

781-hut.png

782-hut.png

He says that perhaps their leader can help with that one:

783-hut.png

This is where the machine gets the katakana totally wrong, オーク・シャーマン is "oku shaman", orc shaman. They haven't even bothered to name him.

784-hut.png

785-hut.png

786-hut.png

And we're off to the temple, I guess:

787-temple.png

788-temple.png

789-temple.png

790-shaman.png

791-shaman.png

792-shaman.png

793-shaman.png

794-shaman.png

795-shaman.png

796-shaman.png

797-shaman.png

798-shaman.png

799-shaman.png

DECLINE everywhere, eh? I think we can all agree to that :smug:

800-shaman.png

801-shaman.png

802-shaman.png

803-shaman.png

That bastard. All in the name of science.

804-shaman.png

猫に導かれる者よ - neko ni michibikareru mono yo, "the one led by cat", hehe.

805-shaman.png

806-shaman.png

807-shaman.png

808-shaman.png

She means insects, of course.

809-shaman.png

Mao goes back to the others.

810-hut.png

811-hut.png

812-hut.png

813-hut.png

So... You know... Right?

814-hut.png

815-hut.png

816-hut.png

817-hut.png

818-hut.png

819-hut.png

Erm... Loot from the dungeon?

820-hut.png

821-hut.png

822-hut.png

Solid adventuring advice, for sure.

823-hut.png

824-hut.png

Awww, they're all gonna help Mao, because they're A TEAM. And we're back in the dungeon.

825-cave.png

Moving a bit forward...

826-cave.png

827-cave.png

We encounter these guys. The combat starts. Rokudo's both fast and deadly:

828-cave.png

Oof, 10 damage, instakill. Looks like someone's forgot to wear their armor today. With fatal consequences.

829-combat.png

The guy next is in standard armor, only 6 damage per shot. He's finished off by D-Head in two more shots (3 damage per shot):

830-combat.png

Since there's no real chance of me losing, I decide to try out another sleep. Well, no luck again.

831-combat.png

832-combat.png

That 10 might be a crit, actually, since the first attack did normal 6. As soon as this guy is supposedly down, he starts talking:

833-cave.png

834-cave.png

835-cave.png

836-chat.png

837-chat.png

838-chat.png

839-chat.png

840-chat.png

841-chat.png

842-chat.png

Ah, the so-called Umbrella approach! :smug:

843-chat.png

844-chat.png

845-chat.png

What's that, another Moral Choice?

846-chat.png

助ける - Help
始末する - Deal with them

Well, leaving armed assholes behind our backs would be stupid, so...

847-chat.png

848-chat.png

849-chat.png

You know, guys, I think that insect spirits are getting way too much hate in Shadowrun. I think that they're just misunderstood and are ripe for reevaluating. Maybe they should even allow players to play as one, all this bigotry is so frustrating.

850-machine.png

851-machine.png

And we get another choice:

852-choice.png

持っていく - Take it
捨てる - Throw it away

I choose to take it but, spoilers, I don't know what it's for. The adventure ends without it being mentioned again. Maybe if we've let the mercs go, they would've given it to us instead and told us how to use it? We proceed further:

853-metro.png

And further:

854-metro.png

And even further:

855-metro.png

We have openable doors here!

856-metro.png

Anyway, it's all empty as far as I can tell. I didn't click every little corner but it seems that there's nothing in these corridors (I actually missed one passage because JRPGs are like that, move into cutscene and it's over). Entering this door:

857-metro.png

Leads us right into the evil scientist lab:

858-lab.png

859-lab.png

860-lab.png

861-lab.png

862-lab.png

863-lab.png

864-lab.png

865-lab.png

866-lab.png

Solid plan, doctor Birkin.

867-lab.png

868-lab.png

869-lab.png

And we're on to the final combat of the adventure:

870-combat.png

The bugs seem to have the same armor everybody else does:

871-combat.png

This time Rokudo downs the first one all by himself:

872-combat.png

The bug spits at Shion for 3 damage:

873-combat.png

The next one does the same to Rokudo:

874-combat.png

Mao gets luckier and only receives 1 damage:

875-combat.png

At this point I'm wondering how come? Her armor is way worse. The scientist throws a mana bolt at Mao without any result:

876-combat.png

And when it's Mao's turn I decide to try to heal Shion...

877-combat.png

Except you have to be on the adjacent tile, apparently. Oh, well, then it's attacking time. I make the same stupid mistake as the scientist and shoot a mana bolt at him:

878-combat.png

Thankfully, only one bug attack hits, for 1 damage:

879-combat.png

The scientist misses again (though now he chose Rokudo as target). We proceed to methodically kill the bugs one by one until it's Mao's turn and I try to heal Rokudo again:

880-combat.png

With zero results. Shion successfully attacks the scientist once and that guy moves in close for yet another failed mana bolt. Well, at least this one gives him a single point of drain:

881-combat.png

Everybody misses and misses and misses until it's Shion's turn again:

882-combat.png

Lousy 3 damage. But the second shot finishes him off:

883-combat.png

Rokudo deals with the remaining bug:

884-combat.png

And now it's yet another Moral Choice time:

885-lab.png

She means the eggs, I think.

886-lab.png

887-choice.png

壊す - Break it
壊さない - Don't break it
持って帰って売る - Take it home and sell it

I suppose an evil party could get some shekels for it but we're gonna be noble here.

888-lab.png

889-lab.png

890-lab.png

Hehe, DeepL is learning right as we play. Now the translation is "That egg. It’s the product of a stupid human ego. It’s best to bury it."

891-lab.png

And just like that, we're back at the orc shaman's dwelling.

892-temple.png

893-temple.png

894-temple.png

895-temple.png

896-temple.png

I don't what he's talking about, we'll find out in the next adventure that the blockade is still there.

897-temple.png

Erm, okay...

898-temple.png

899-temple.png

900-temple.png

Mao says we'll see him again, and just like that, we're back in the bar.

901-bar.png

902-bar.png

903-bar.png

904-bar.png

905-bar.png

906-bar.png

907-bar.png

908-bar.png

And then it's the start of the next adventure:

909-title.png

ライバルの登場 - Rivals appear

raibaru :lol:

Here's a question that's been bugging me. This update is 140mb of pngs due to the 1280x960 resolution and lossless compression. Does this size bothers anyone in 2021? I could reduce the resolution in half I guess.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
Shadowrun Hong Kong references the blockade the orcs are talking about. When people began transform into meta humans, Japan began purging all the orcs and trolls in their country. The impure metas were either killed or driven out of Japan. Those that managed to survive live in underground ghettos like in ikebukuro.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shadowrun Hong Kong references the blockade the orcs are talking about. When people began transform into meta humans, Japan began purging all the orcs and trolls in their country. The impure metas were either killed or driven out of Japan. Those that managed to survive live in underground ghettos like in ikebukuro.

apparently it changed around the 2060 when a new Emperor ascended to the throne, getting more progressive/tolerant of meta humans

orcinator

Liturgist
"However, it was not only the miracles of magic that changed the world, but also the emergence of "cyberware" that dramatically increased abilities by feminizing the body."
CYBERTRAAAAANIES

"You know, guys, I think that insect spirits are getting way too much hate in Shadowrun. I think that they're just misunderstood and are ripe for reevaluating. Maybe they should even allow players to play as one, all this bigotry is so frustrating."
hahah, yeah it would be hilarious if that actually happened haha

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Sorry, but that Shadowrun Sega CD looks truly terrible; and I'm a guy who almost never posts negative comments about games (which is not the same as saying that almost every game is not bad). I think only the most far-gone weeboo autist would play something like this for more than a few minutes.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
UPDATE 07: ERUFU TO DOWAFU

909-title.png

ライバルの登場 - Raibaru no toujou

A mysterious dude is furiously typing on the keyboard.

a001-intro.png

a002-intro.png

a003-intro.png

a004-intro.png

a005-intro.png

Okay, imma call it Right Now. He's working for a fucking dragon and it'll turn out he's behind everything, manipulating and shit. We turn to D-Head walking around Tokyo.

a006-intro.png

a007-intro.png

a008-intro.png

Oh, even he agrees that elves are no Men :D

a009-intro.png

a010-intro.png

a011-intro.png

a012-intro.png

a013-intro.png

a014-intro.png

a015-intro.png

And once again, we are all gathered in the bar.

a016-bar.png

a017-bar.png

a018-bar.png

Mao chips in:

a019-bar.png

a020-bar.png

No, Mao, we're waiting for our next Johnson to come in through that door. Speaking of which:

a021-bar.png

a022-bar.png

a023-bar.png

a024-bar.png

a025-bar.png

No way it's that simple, says Shion.

a026-bar.png

a027-bar.png

Ah, that blockade.

a028-bar.png

a029-bar.png

a030-bar.png

Okay, 『長船』 reads as Osafune or Nagafune and has it's own page on Japanese Wikipedia https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/長船 with a ton of different meanings. It's literally translated as "long ship" or "long boat". There were at least three samurai with that surname, a clan of katana craftsmen (I think), and an Edo-period female hairstyle:
799px-%E2%98%85traditional_Japanese_women%27s_hairstyle_%27Osa-fune%27.jpg

You pick whatever you wish, because, spoiler, none of that will be relevant in this adventure. I'll just call the dude Nagafune but the video will feature "Longship" word.

a031-bar.png

a032-bar.png

a033-bar.png

Good ol' Shion, he can just smell it.

a034-bar.png

a035-bar.png

a036-bar.png

a037-bar.png

a038-bar.png

a039-bar.png

a040-bar.png

a041-bar.png

a042-bar.png

a043-bar.png

a044-bar.png

a045-bar.png

a046-bar.png

This time we don't get any choice about the mission:

a047-bar.png

a048-bar.png

a049-bar.png

a050-bar.png

a051-bar.png

a052-bar.png

a053-bar.png

a054-bar.png

Rokudo decides to join Mao and D-Head, because he's tired of slacking off and Shion agrees with the majority:

a055-bar.png

He notifies the Johnson about their agreement, and the Johnson tells us what the payment is:

a056-bar.png

a057-bar.png

a058-bar.png

a059-bar.png

a060-bar.png

『黒鉄屋』 - literally Black Iron Shop/House. A solid name for a dorf tavern.

a062-bar.png

a063-bar.png

And the guy leaves. The party starts chatting:

a064-bar.png

a065-bar.png

a066-bar.png

As usual, we start off by going through our contacts. Rokudo contacts Natsuto:

a067-nat.png

a068-nat.png

a069-nat.png

a070-nat.png

a071-nat.png

a072-nat.png

Ah, now that's interesting. Entering offically will block us from using our better weapons. It seems that I was wrong when I've said that the easy concealment for pistols that Z was talking about won't factor in this game. But Nat continues:

a073-nat.png

a074-nat.png

We get a choice of paying up for more info:

a075-nat.png

聞く - Listen
聞かない - Don't listen

I didn't bother confirming how much we've paid for the info because the game doesn't bother to state it in the dialogue and I don't remember how much money we've had at the end of the last adventure.

a076-nat.png

a077-nat.png

a078-nat.png

So we just go over the fence there, huh.

a079-nat.png

a080-nat.png

Rokudo asks Nat about Nagafune:

a081-nat.png

a082-nat.png

a083-nat.png

a084-nat.png

And that's it, he doesn't know the dwarf's current location, though it seems to be that he's inside the blockaded area. On to the datanet:

a085-datanet.png

a086-datanet.png

a087-datanet.png

a088-datanet.png

a089-datanet.png

a090-datanet.png

a091-datanet.png

a092-datanet.png

東部収容地区 - Eastern detention zone
『封鎖区』 - Fuusaku, the blockade zone

a093-datanet.png

a094-datanet.png

a095-datanet.png

a096-datanet.png

And the next menu item (current state):

a097-datanet.png

a098-datanet.png

It seems that we get a date for the game - 2049.

a099-datanet.png

a100-datanet.png

エルフとドワーフが - erufu to dowafu ga, hehehe

a101-datanet.png

a102-datanet.png

a103-datanet.png

And that's it. How's Z doing?

a104-z.png

Fuck you, Z. Also now that it seems that I'm doing fine in combat, so I don't buy anything except upgrading Rokudo's Scope from 2 to 4.

a105-z.png

I do quickly check the selection for new stuff but there's nothing. I also upgrade Heal to 4 just in case.

a106-tokaido.png

We chat with the party a bit more.

a107-bar.png

We're counting on ya, bud.

a108-bar.png

a109-bar.png

Rokudo's got yet another idea.

a110-bar.png

a111-bar.png

a112-bar.png

The party reiterates all the options and we're presented with a choice:

a113-choice.png

ハジメを使う - Use Hajime
盲点をついて侵入する - Enter the blind spot
通行証で正面から入る - Enter from the front with a pass

Option three is obviously inferior and I'm always in favor of the stealth approach so let's see how it plays out.

a114-bar.png

a115-bar.png

a116-bar.png

a117-bar.png

And just like that we're at the spot.

a118-wall.png

a119-wall.png

a120-wall.png

a121-wall.png

a122-wall.png

a123-wall.png

a124-wall.png

a125-wall.png

a126-wall.png

a127-wall.png

a128-wall.png

a129-wall.png

a130-wall.png

a131-wall.png

Oh, you're fucking kidding me. You were the one that wanted in.

a132-wall.png

a133-wall.png

a134-wall.png

We're treated with a short animation (three frames shown consecutively, that is).

a135-anim.png

a136-anim.png

a137-anim.png

a138-mao.png

Fuck, what now?

a139-mao.png

a140-mao.png

Her hair?

a141-mao.png

a142-mao.png

a143-mao.png

a144-mao.png

a145-mao.png

a146-mao.png

a147-anim.png

And we make it just in time.

a148-anim.png

a149-mao.png

a150-mao.png

a151-mao.png

There-there.

a152-mao.png

a153-blockade.png

And we're in.

a154-blockade.png

a155-blockade.png

a156-blockade.png

D-Head is brooding about racism in his internal monologue.

a157-blockade.png

a158-blockade.png

And we're in the exploration section. Yo, guys, what's up?

a159-blockade.png

a160-blockade.png

Oh, my, the natives are not friendly. Let's just stop there before we get into any sort of trouble.

Last edited:

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
UPDATE 08: DWARVEN QUARTER

So, where were we?

b001-dwarves.png

Oh right, in the ghetto reservation.

b002-dwarves.png

b003-dwarves.png

A couple more steps and we're near the thing.

b004-dwarves.png

b005-dwarves.png

Actually, no. It's quite possible that this is where the plot irreversibly happens so let's explore instead.

b006-dwarves.png

This thing is a save station. The game tells us we should save, hehe.

b007-dwarves.png

A bit more to the east and we find a ramen (possibly) shop.

b008-dwarves.png

Inside it is not super cramped but close to it. D-Head is monologuing dramatically.

b009-dwarves.png

b010-dwarves.png

Mao has no problem chatting.

b011-dwarves.png

b012-dwarves.png

b013-dwarves.png

The other guy is a bit more friendly.

b014-dwarves.png

And the first one joins in:

b015-dwarves.png

b016-dwarves.png

b017-dwarves.png

「サイレント・ムーン」 - Of course, it's katakana.

b018-dwarves.png

Let's talk with the owner.

b019-dwarves.png

b020-dwarves.png

b021-dwarves.png

b022-dwarves.png

b023-dwarves.png

b024-dwarves.png

b025-dwarves.png

b026-dwarves.png

b027-dwarves.png

b028-dwarves.png

b029-dwarves.png

b030-dwarves.png

b031-dwarves.png

b032-dwarves.png

b033-dwarves.png

b034-dwarves.png

b035-dwarves.png

b036-dwarves.png

Okay, that was useful. The elves have captured the dwarf we want.

b037-dwarves.png

b038-dwarves.png

b039-dwarves.png

He says it was very weird, human man and woman. Why was that weird, I don't know.

b040-dwarves.png

b041-dwarves.png

We exit the shop and walk around some more.

b042-dwarves.png

b043-dwarves.png

Well, that's it. Time to enter the Black Iron Inn.

b044-dwarves.png

Dorfs everywhere! All bald with big noses as far as I can see. DeepL went nuts here:

b045-kuro.png

Joining the separate lines produces a better result: "Oh, my God, there's even a fucking elf."

b046-kuro.png

「タンポポ食い」 - is "dandelion eater" an official Shadowrun slur for elves? :D

The first dwarf just looks at us:

b047-kuro.png

b048-kuro.png

b049-kuro.png

b050-kuro.png

The next two are not even interactive. But the last two are:

b051-kuro.png

And we get a choice:

b052-kuro.png

喧嘩を買う - Pick a fight
おとなしくひきさがる - Back down quietly

At first I backed down.

b053-kuro.png

b054-kuro.png

But then decided, fuck it, let's have a brawl. It's purely optional, as far as I can tell, because the ramen shop owner already told us about the dwarven vigilantes.

b055-kuro.png

b056-kuro.png

And it's one of them fisticuff fights, no weapons allowed. Four out of five dwarves join the fight.

b057-kuro.png

Everyone misses a lot here even with unarmed 6 for Rokudo and Shion. Rokudo and Shion deal 3 damage per successful attack which is sometimes lowered to 1 for some reason.

b058-combat.png

With each melee attack the opponent gets an automatic counter (which is why melee is probably not fun):

b059-combat.png

With the same 3 damage on success.

b060-combat.png

But it's 3 or 6 in case of Mao.

b061-combat.png

We deal with the first dwarf, then Mao goes down because her armor is weaker and because it turns out that a) magic is not allowed; and b) fists do stun damage and medkits only work on physical.

:rage:

b062-combat.png

Rokudo's animation is an attack with katana, by the way. But it doesn't look like it's actually used. D-Head is down next, and one of the remaining dwarves starts to run.

b063-combat.png

And then runs back, lol. You can't move on top of the enemy bodies, btw. He goes down soon:

b064-combat.png

Shit attack by shit attack we whittle down one of the dwarves to 3 hp left and then defeat him:

b065-combat.png

I move Shion to the side because he's pretty low, too and Rokudo beats the shit of the last one:

b066-combat.png

Our downed party members get up and we exit the tavern to find the entrance to the dwarven gang HQ.

b067-gang.png

D-Head notes that it's all rubble and that only the first floor is open. Inside we find the Three Dwarves:

b068-gang.png

Two of them are just guards.

b069-gang.png

b070-gang.png

b071-gang.png

b072-gang.png

b073-gang.png

b074-gang.png

b075-gang.png

b076-gang.png

b077-gang.png

b078-gang.png

b079-gang.png

b080-gang.png

b081-gang.png

b082-gang.png

b083-gang.png

b084-gang.png

b085-gang.png

b086-gang.png

b087-gang.png

b088-gang.png

b089-gang.png

b090-gang.png

b091-gang.png

And we get another choice.

b092-choice.png

申し出に乗る - Take the offer
申し入れを断る - Refuse the offer

I took the offer and I'm mildly curious about the other one but not so much as to reload and try it.

b093-gang.png

b094-gang.png

Yeah, totally. You get a frontal assault in the streets and we lurk in the back.

b095-gang.png

b096-gang.png

b097-gang.png

b098-gang.png

b099-gang.png

b100-gang.png

b101-gang.png

b102-gang.png

b103-gang.png

b104-gang.png

b105-gang.png

b106-gang.png

And that's it. Now we can proceed north into the Elves' quarter.

b107-gang.png

b108-elves.png

D-Head immediately starts the internal monologue:

b109-elves.png

I don't know what greenery is he talking about, perhaps that asphalt texture is all grass?

b110-elves.png

b111-elves.png

b112-elves.png

b113-elves.png

b114-elves.png

b115-elves.png

b116-elves.png

And after that we're free to move on. Ah, so that's the greenery:

b117-elves.png

And that:

b118-elves.png

Aaaand we're there:

b119-elves.png

We get into the foye:

b120-building.png

There's a door to the left:

b121-building.png

b122-building.png

b123-building.png

What's that? Perhaps it's time D-Head got to hacking stuff? Rokudo answers that we don't have time to look for it and we get another choice:

b124-choice.png

端末を探す - Find the terminal
電子ロックを壊す - Break the lock

Well, I'm keen to see hot elven decking action, so I choose the first one. Okay, I lied, I chose breaking the lock first but since there are people waiting right behind the door, I've reloaded and chose the second one thinking we might avoid that ambush (spoiler: nope). The elevator is, of course, out of order, so we move on from floor to floor using stairs. The next floor has two doors (marked by the empty spots in the black rectangle).

b125-building.png

The left one leads us to an empty corridor with another door:

b126-building.png

That leads to an empty office.

b127-building.png

Okay, on the next floor the single door leads us to an empty room with two doors.

b128-building.png

The right one leads us into the computer room:

b129-building.png

D-Head starts to work his magic (and don't ask me why there's power):

b130-building.png

b131-building.png

b132-building.png

:troll:

At this point I've had a pretty low opinion of their dungeons but I've checked the other room out of habit:

b133-building.png

And what's that I see? A unique tile art? The poster goes down with a short animation:

b134-building.png

Revealing the secret locker:

b135-building.png

With a sword inside!

b136-building.png

b137-building.png

Ooooh, a magic sword. We take it, but I have no way of checking it out until the next combat, lol. We go down, open the door and find the exact same scene we would've found if we just broke inside:

b138-building.png

b139-building.png

b140-building.png

b141-building.png

And the combat starts.

b142-combat.png

Is Silver Spoon's leader as good as they say? Will the dark-haired elven schoolgirls be able to prevail? What's with the magic sword? You're gonna have to wait until the next one to find out.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom