Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

Ninjerk

Arcane
All they need to do is implement real persistence, not just the weaksauce "global dialog state" stuff they added in HK. Ideally they'd also open up the engine to allow the implementation of a better character system that allowed some real development (the current one is... not very deep, or particularly interesting).

Not holding my breath, though... SRHK clearly seems to be the end of this era, at least. Maybe they'll pick it up again in a new engine if/when Battletech becomes a runaway success?
In the meantime you can develop adventures in the editor :troll:

Jason Liang

Arcane
After all the postitive reaction I've seen for the Oculus release, I question if developing these 3rd person games is the best use of Battletech and Shadowrun. HBS needs to be developing VR...

Ninjerk

Arcane
I haven't really kept up with VR, but I found that to be a suspicious statement, too.

Zetor

Arcane
INITIATE ENHANCED IMAGING

All they need to do is implement real persistence, not just the weaksauce "global dialog state" stuff they added in HK. Ideally they'd also open up the engine to allow the implementation of a better character system that allowed some real development (the current one is... not very deep, or particularly interesting).

Not holding my breath, though... SRHK clearly seems to be the end of this era, at least. Maybe they'll pick it up again in a new engine if/when Battletech becomes a runaway success?
In the meantime you can develop adventures in the editor :troll:
Alas, my modding skills are not up to the task, shit takes too long to implement as it is. We'd need someone who can work with great celerity...

Zetor

Arcane
thatsthejoke.gif

(but yeah, Battletech + VR = INITIATE ENHANCED IMAGING. Of course it'd only work if it looked as shit as it did in the cartoons...)

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Finally completed the game. I was actually surprised how they put some things, even including the final boss best outcome, hidden behind untracked completely optional things like talking to a store keeper. Still not sure how I feel about the Matrix changes, probably somewhere between "why are you doing this in a turn-based game?" and slamming my fist into F9 when I get caught by sentry on patrol. I liked the game overall though, even with Duncan and his daddy issues. Racter and Gaichu were the shit and two insane damage dealers. Gaichu may be be impaired with no ranged attack, but holy shit once he gets in drugged, hasted and in Heaven mode it's carnage. I don't even need to say anything Racter and his fully buffed drone. EE bonus campaign was kinda weak, especially compared to how the main campaign ends, but I did like the decisions in the end. It also had the only actually difficult battle in the game if you don't use some common sense, that one when you're rescuing lolicon's wet dream/ideal woman.

Thanks to clemens for making it happen. ;)

EDIT.
Is0bel and her SAFE ZONE had me rolling for a second.

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
Damn just started this, how shitty is the dialogue? Everyone tells a long as hell dumb emo sob story, just finished the first missions and each and every person is spouting off about some dreams. So far, seems pretty much like a trash-tier game. Huge step down from Dragonfall.

roshan

Arcane
zssbas.jpg

What are your hobbies? What do you do in your free time? What books do you like to read?

What the fuck is this? Seriously, WTF?????

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
zssbas.jpg

What are your hobbies? What do you do in your free time? What books do you like to read?

Most of the hub NPC are written like that; you're supposed to become emotionally invested in their stories and learn how they deal with their personal problems over the course of the game. There are lessons to be learned about drug addiction, dealing with trauma, society's treatment of the mentally ill, and the tensions between blood family and adopted family.

Seems like a bit of an overreach considering the game's overall writing quality, but I'm sure some people enjoyed it.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Yeah the pacing in HK went a bit down the shitter. It is a good example of too much good will doing harm. I guess this banter dialogue is just like cock tease. A little bit of it does enhance the experience, but if theres too much of it you just get angry. Dragonfall was excellent in that regard. It didnt do much else, but it was just more reduced and on point.

The game does get better though and it does have some genuinely good moments. The mini campaign is almost on par with Dragonfall quality.

roshan

Arcane
zssbas.jpg

Most of the hub NPC are written like that; you're supposed to become emotionally invested in their stories and learn how they deal with their personal problems over the course of the game. There are lessons to be learned about drug addiction, dealing with trauma, society's treatment of the mentally ill, and the tensions between blood family and adopted family.

Seems like a bit of an overreach considering the game's overall writing quality, but I'm sure some people enjoyed it.

It's stupid, overly schmaltzy, and I personally find these pathetic attempts at emotional manipulation to be extremely repulsive. Furthermore, what the hell does any of this crap have to do with Cyberpunk? I was talking to some guys and they were saying "oh don't reveal my personal information", what the fuck is this, feels like I am browsing some cuck's Tumblr account, not an alternate reality.

Lhynn

Arcane
Gonna have to agree. Only 3 characters are worth a shit. Racter, Ku Feng and Gaichu.
All the others can go get bent, they are shit tier.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Who put a gun against your head and forced you to talk to them? You can ignore every hub NPC if you want. That's the point - they are there for people who like that stuff but can safely be skipped if you don't care about world building or lore or whatever. Jesus fuck, it has been stated at least a dozen times in this thread, yet you retards keep talking to them.

Lhynn

Arcane
Who put a gun against your head and forced you to talk to them? You can ignore every hub NPC if you want. That's the point - they are there for people who like that stuff but can safely be skipped if you don't care about world building or lore or whatever. Jesus fuck, it has been stated at least a dozen times in this thread, yet you retards keep talking to them.
Its not really optional, as its mandatory to get the "best" ending.
Anyway, its how mundane and boring most of the characters are. I really dont care about them, give me more interesting ones.

roshan

Arcane

So your excuse for crap content is "just skip it"? Are you nuts? I paid money for this shit, and you are telling me "just skip it".

Also, it's kind of retarded and disingenuous to call this writing that sounds like what a bicurious ambisexual polygenderfluid elfkin teenager would write on Tumblr as "lore" and "world building".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom