Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong Pre-Release Discussion [GO TO NEW THREAD]

How much HBS is going to get for his Hong Kong campaign ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I live in the region and travel to HK often for work. You can find anything and everything in HK except "folklore". It's a bustling, hypermodern city and a melting pot. Lots of blacks there specially in shady places like Chung King mansion. I read an article that mentioned that 90% of electronics imported into subsaharan Africa pass through channels at Chung King.

Love to see a cybermagic HK but would like it to be some sort of reflection of the actual city, not packed with generic and stupid Chinese cliches.

How cares about what HK is in real life? it's Asia, it has magic, it has cyborgs, it has dragons. I dont want to see another Berlin boiling pot, i want to see all that Asian exoticism that us white people expect from the far east.

Jason Liang

Arcane
HBS MUST improve the AI if its going to give players even more tactical options in this expansion, or else this game will be lulz in terms of gameplay. Dragonfall was already a step back from DMS in terms of engaging battle scenarios.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
HBS MUST improve the AI if its going to give players even more tactical options in this expansion, or else this game will be lulz in terms of gameplay. Dragonfall was already a step back from DMS in terms of engaging battle scenarios.

Have you played the Director's cut? The changes to damage mitigation and how the cover works (armor is flat out -dmg, cover negates crit chance) created a need for a more tactical approach without even touching the AI.
Doesn't mean I don't agree with you here - AI needs improvements. But tweaking combat in general seems to provide even better results. Up to a point.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Similarly I'd be cool if they dropped (For the campaign, leave it in the editor of course) hiring the silent runners.
If you don't like the characters' personalities, or the way they're built, it's good to have other options to choose from.

I'm aware that Dragonfall: DC gave Lucky Strike a few lines of dialogue. They could do that, give all of 'em a li'l personality.

Just like Pillars of Eternity? :cool:

Sure. It obviously didn't come out in April 2014.

imweasel

Love to see a cybermagic HK but would like it to be some sort of reflection of the actual city, not packed with generic and stupid Chinese cliches.
A "Big Trouble in Little China" inspired mission would be real lulzy.

:drink:

eXalted

Arcane
Reading comments about the Astral Plane, can someone who has played the PnP version explain what exactly is it and what it can provide gameplay wise?

Seeing the spirits of the dead ones I guess?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Reading comments about the Astral Plane, can someone who has played the PnP version explain what exactly is it and what it can provide gameplay wise?

Seeing the spirits of the dead ones I guess?

Very basically speaking it's a magic matrix but using a reflection of the real world. A guy going into the astral space can traverse thousands of km in minutes and scout shit out, from basic stuff like mapping out the geography of an area to detecting the auras of people, creatures, elementals/spirits and magically attuned dudes on site.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Plus you can encounter all sorts of spirits in there and the whole plane is a "distortion" of real world - magically active things shine like beacons while technological things are dull and gray, that sort of stuff. Mages can get trapped there.

Diablo169

Arcane
Backed, i enjoyed what I played of Returns well enough despite it's flaws . I seriously needs to actually play Dragonfall though. Or at the very least get past character creation.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Codex fundraiser is only at 18%? I guess people are too busy talking about Dragon Age?

Oh, and one copy from the fundraiser will be mine. Pre-beggging. Gib plz.

Sykar

Arcane
Plus you can encounter all sorts of spirits in there and the whole plane is a "distortion" of real world - magically active things shine like beacons while technological things are dull and gray, that sort of stuff. Mages can get trapped there.

And then come the meta planes. Really fun places to visit, especially as an inexperienced freshly initiated mage/shaman.
:troll:

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
With the current pace of $1k per hour we might witness another stretch goal before the official 3rd 4th day ends.

Multi-headed Cow

Isobel mission funded. One step closer to better wizardry and computuhs.

roshan

Arcane

Hindu temple in HK:

Hindu_Temple_in_Happy_Valley.JPG

Chung King mansions filled with Pakis, Turks, Africans, Indians....:

4782912005_f45ce0dc1e.jpg

_69783265_events-0774.jpg

3183899594_8fd547beb6_z.jpg

Kowloon mosque:

Kowloon_Masjid_and_Islamic_Centre_from_East_2.jpg

HK beach mostly filled with white folk:

big-wave-bay.jpg

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hmm... I don't know...
The Mosque looks kinda cool, but all in all I'm really sad when I see a place ripped of it's culture...
Not sure what to make of this.
I guess as long as there are enough parts of the city which are "original" culturally that's good the way it is!?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
But nothing in HK is "original". Everything has been demolished and rebuilt in the last 200 years - and the Shadowrun setting means that everything REALLY has been demolished and "rebuilt".

aratuk

Cipher
There are people roleplaying in the Kickstarter comments, speaking in Shadowrun dialect :-/

Thinking of withdrawing my pledge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom