Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns - Dead Man's Switch Original Campaign

SophosTheWise

Cipher
All this rabid circle-jerking and blind fanboyism over a 12 hours long obvious port from mobile that lacks even inventory system and apparently offers no real challenge at all.

Am I browsing NeoGAF forums by mistake or did the standards of a certain segment of Codex users go down the toilet to the same level of the typical BSF user a long time ago?

Eh, I simply take the game for what it is. It's focussed on story and combat and I didn't really worry about a lack of loot or inventory management, it just felt natural.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All this rabid circle-jerking and blind fanboyism

Where? I don't see it. On the contrary, the consensus over the past few days seems to have been that the game would kinda suck.

Edgydex sees what it wants to see.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
All this rabid circle-jerking and blind fanboyism over a 12 hours long obvious port from mobile that lacks even inventory system and apparently offers no real challenge at all.

Am I browsing NeoGAF forums by mistake or did the standards of a certain segment of Codex users go down the toilet to the same level of the typical BSF user a long time ago?

I get that. If it's a remotely mainstream game or happened to get a positive review at IGN or RPS = "haven't played for more than ten minutes but it's obviously shit lololo"

Game that happens to be both an old school revival and turn-based = "so who cares if the combat is simplistic or the game is linear and short? some of the best RPGs have bad combat we're RPG fans so we have to look past these flaws" etc.

Just sayin' that I do notice some amount of dissonance there.

Rake

Arcane

I pledged bacause 2D, isometric, non-action twitchy combat,good story/atmosphere.
That was all i needed, that was what i got. The 12 hours is a bummer but: we will have another campain at the very least so in the end will be 24 hours(with potential for more), plus the editor. A remake of the SNES game, plus various shadorun campains by the community. All in all i expect to spent at least 100 hours in this game and its follow ups, so money well spent.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't mind the simplistic combat (didn't mind it with Fallout either, so...). There's room for (a lot) of improvement, surely, but the game seems to flow quite nicely regardless.

Monad

Learned
LOVE the setting and atmosphere, can't wait for more content from the community and HBS.

Nael

Arcane
SO, asking it here instead of the other thread, how do I actually equip a newly bought armor?

You drag it with your cursor.

Yet more traces of the garbage iPad interface. :roll:

I didn't need to drag anything.. I could access my stash when I bought a new pistol and just added the new armor to my inventory. Still, I wonder how I can manually access that stash somehow.

In help it says: " Your stash can be accessed before a level begins or at the Seamstress Union"

aris

Arcane
Has anybody found out what the answers to the security questions on coyotes computer are? I think her first pet is shadow, her hometown chicago, but I have no idea what the name of her favorite film is.

*edit* nevermind, found it out.

ask the owner

NotTale

Learned

I get that. If it's a remotely mainstream game or happened to get a positive review at IGN or RPS = "haven't played for more than ten minutes but it's obviously shit lololo"

Game that happens to be both an old school revival and turn-based = "so who cares if the combat is simplistic or the game is linear and short? some of the best RPGs have bad combat we're RPG fans so we have to look past these flaws" etc.

Just sayin' that I do notice some amount of dissonance there.

If it's a mainstream title, it probably had 10 times the budget and cost 3 times as much for the audience. And it still might end up with barely an inventory system and be 18 hours long instead of 12. I don't think that math works out to that mainstream title's benefit.

Still, I fully expect this game to have a better ending than Mass Effect 3.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Has anybody found out what the answers to the security questions on coyotes computer are? I think her first pet is shadow, her hometown chicago, but I have no idea what the name of her favorite film is.

It's "Starlife" IIRC.

SO, asking it here instead of the other thread, how do I actually equip a newly bought armor?

You drag it with your cursor.

Yet more traces of the garbage iPad interface. :roll:

I didn't need to drag anything.. I could access my stash when I bought a new pistol and just added the new armor to my inventory. Still, I wonder how I can manually access that stash somehow.

In help it says: " Your stash can be accessed before a level begins or at the Seamstress Union"

Thanks , yes, I now have access to the safehouse/stash. :)

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Combat is overall more complex than in both Fallout and Baldur's Gate, which are the only relevant measuring sticks, judging by recent Codex threads.

made

Arcane
Well the check point system sucks. I wanted to see if there's any difference reward-wise between fighting a thug or using gang etiquette on him (is there?) but the last auto save would put me at the start of the mission so fuck that.

And very hard is pretty easy so far, even with a character who can't hit shit with his pistol and only has one healing spell on a cooldown.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I'm only about ten minutes in, but I'm liking it so far. The dialogue's not uncute, and the conversations I've had so far haven't had any "fake" responses. Also, the dwarf in the chopshop seemed to recognize that I was helping my buddy out out of nobility ('cause I didn't mention I was getting paid). I'd've liked to've played the conversation again being more cynical and MONEY DOLLARS NUYEN and see if he came to a different conclusion about me at the end.

Insisting on playing an elf starting with 8 Charisma and nothing else. Now he's got one point in rigs. I will USE those dialogue options god damn it

potatojohn

Arcane
I'm not liking it so far. UI is extremely ugly and laggy, checkpoint saving is incomprehensibly retarded, and the whole game just has the vibe of a phone/tablet game. Shit sucks.

aris

Arcane
yep. It has one. You can't turn it off either, as far as I can see. Can't wait for people that bashed skyrim around for obligatory quest compass to try to wiggle their way out of this one with epic apologism.
:troll:

Joten

Novice
Really like it so far. Writing is great, combat is good. Entering the Royale Apartments right now :greatjob:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It can be turned off in modules. All it takes is NOT adding in quest waypoints. Plus Skyrim was a game about open-world exploration, which makes the quest compass a worse offense. Your troll-fu is slipping, blizzdrone.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The save thing is slightly annoying but not that bad. The lack of loot doesn't bother me at all, I have never played RPGs for loot and actually dislike having a ton of loot to look through and evaluate.

What is really annoying me is the linearity. There's a computer requiring two decking points in the first area that I can't go back and use now because you can't go backwards, ever, for any reason. All you can do is go to the next story environment. It's frankly ridiculous, annoys me a great deal. I guess I will get used to it, or even better things open up, but it's a pretty massive flaw.

Other than that it's awesome. Great combat, great writing, great world, good music, good story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom