Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns - Dead Man's Switch Original Campaign

Vatnik Wumao
DF and HK are both much better than the original campaign. Most people agree that DF is overall the best in the trilogy, but HK makes an effort to be a challenge and is far less generous with quest rewards.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Overrall, game's been fun so far, if a bit too simplistic. Unless the game drops the ball too hard, I already have Dragonfall and Hong Kong lined up next.

There's a turning point where the story takes a massive nose dive, but the combat encounters greatly improve. The sequels are much better.

Mauman

Learned
To be fair, the sequels don't have this problem. The writing improved quite a bit.

The sequels take place in locations that still have their cultural identities intact, and the implications (and flat out spelling it out in HK) that the game's dialogue is taking place in their native languages.

The conlang in Seattle is the way it is because Seattle has no real cultural identity of it's own anymore due to it's location, political and economic setup, and it's neighbors (unless you count the moshpit mess that it has become as it's own identity). So yeah, as much as it seems weird it makes perfect sense that the language would have a mess of extras peppered in.

tky

Literate
DF and HK are both much better than the original campaign. Most people agree that DF is overall the best in the trilogy, but HK makes an effort to be a challenge and is far less generous with quest rewards.
Good to know.

There's a turning point where the story takes a massive nose dive, but the combat encounters greatly improve. The sequels are much better.
tky quit after the graveyard
Yeah, the whole second part felt a lot like it was more on the "boulder punching" side of storytelling.
Another vilain going for a "complete global saturation".

your first cyberpunk?
In general, or just in gaming? In general, I've seen Ghost in the Shell, although the movie had a noticeable lack of Origa.
In gaming... well, I've played Digimon before. So it depends whether it counts or not.

The sequels take place in locations that still have their cultural identities intact, and the implications (and flat out spelling it out in HK) that the game's dialogue is taking place in their native languages.

The conlang in Seattle is the way it is because Seattle has no real cultural identity of it's own anymore due to it's location, political and economic setup, and it's neighbors (unless you count the moshpit mess that it has become as it's own identity). So yeah, as much as it seems weird it makes perfect sense that the language would have a mess of extras peppered in.
[Informative]

tky

Literate
Well, my work brought me to a Shaman, as things start shifting to the unnatural. At least she's paying. It's usually the other way around with these spiritual types.
SRR-013.png

But my journey can't continue before pulling Coyote ass out of the fire once again.
SRR-014.png

Back on track, I signed up these two for my future missions:
SRR-015.png

SRR-016.png

And they both ended up being useless throughout most of the campaign. A punching girl with no hit chance while punching and a decker with no decking in missions.

The only time my ettiquete ended up being used.
SRR-017.png

The one decking mission, which the game basically hand waves to you.
SRR-018.png

In between missions, I switched to a elektromage of sorts. It seems to be the best offensive spell type.
SRR-019.png

And there it is. The vilain. Weird that the game tried a half-assed justification for him to sound 'reasonable'.
SRR-020.png

Then the real baddie shows up.
SRR-021.png

Proceeded by the best battle by far in the game. The ghouls were a fun surprise. Died twice. Once because the ghouls caught me off-guard. Once because the RNG didn't go my way.
SRR-022.png

This show by Mercurial turns out to be being nothing at the end.
SRR-023.png

After dealing with extradimensional bugs, the demsel is undistressed and leads me to her daddy and his band of wackos.
SRR-024.png

After that, more bug squashing and the final confrontation:
SRR-025.png

Finished her off and went to receive my deserved reward: 100K.
SRR-026.png

And my final build. Basicaly BODY + WILL. The quickness was just because I had nothing else to buy:
SRR-027.png

Overall enjoyable, but I don't see it being replayable because there isn't much in the way of choices that change progression and buildcraft is quite straightforward. Still, as I said, I will be playing the sequels for sure. But first, I have unfinished business with a game I just recently purchased, and I need to have something in reserve to remove the bad taste in the mouth in case things go south with that one.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Just finished The Dead Man's Switch for the first time and I'm not terribly impressed. I think I might have made a mistake playing as a Decker/Rigger as I didn't enjoy having all the weapon slots beeing taken up with the cyberdeck and drones.

Went online to try to find a way to extend the weaponslots but it was a bust. Seems there was a console command that did this but that was patched out at some point so I ended up bringing just a single drone and a pistol along with the cyberdeck.

The gameplay feelt pretty basic. It would have been servicable if it wasn't for the fact that everything feelt so sluggish and unresponsive. I tried toggling between single/double click in the options but it was just two kinds of bad.

The moment to moment gameplay really took a dive when you had to bring those bugspray shotties, also making my previous predicament about what weapons to bring a moot point anyway.

Are the sequels any better or are they just more of the same?

Sykar

Arcane
Overall enjoyable, but I don't see it being replayable because there isn't much in the way of choices that change progression and buildcraft is quite straightforward. Still, as I said, I will be playing the sequels for sure. But first, I have unfinished business with a game I just recently purchased, and I need to have something in reserve to remove the bad taste in the mouth in case things go south with that one.
Just finished The Dead Man's Switch for the first time and I'm not terribly impressed. I think I might have made a mistake playing as a Decker/Rigger as I didn't enjoy having all the weapon slots beeing taken up with the cyberdeck and drones.

Went online to try to find a way to extend the weaponslots but it was a bust. Seems there was a console command that did this but that was patched out at some point so I ended up bringing just a single drone and a pistol along with the cyberdeck.

The gameplay feelt pretty basic. It would have been servicable if it wasn't for the fact that everything feelt so sluggish and unresponsive. I tried toggling between single/double click in the options but it was just two kinds of bad.

The moment to moment gameplay really took a dive when you had to bring those bugspray shotties, also making my previous predicament about what weapons to bring a moot point anyway.

Are the sequels any better or are they just more of the same?

The main selling point and what the supporters asked for was the editor which is why the campaign is on the light side in terms of content.

Falksi

Arcane
Only just seen that the Shadowrun games are coming to Switch soon.

So not long now before all the fuckwits who have ignored and dismissed these games for years, suddenly decide that they are the some of the greatest ever "RPGs ever made by Nintendo on any system".

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The main selling point and what the supporters asked for was the editor which is why the campaign is on the light side in terms of content.

It's on the light side because they made it in 15 months (and had to borrow more money to get that much time because they ran out of Kickstarter funds). Focusing on the editor contributed a bit, but it wasn't the "main selling point" and it's not even that good (NWN this isn't).

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Gonna give Dragonfall a shot next as I already have it in my library.

Because I'm retarded I've gone and made another rigger, this time without decking though. Quickly ran into that decker/rigger companion and I'm thinking about restarting with another build and bring this nigga along instead. Anyone have any suggestions for a fun character? Or should I just stick with my rigger?

The game seems alot better on first impression. It feels more like an actual game and less like something I threw together in Unity as proof of concept. The UI has been redesigned for the better IMO and it just feels snappier. Like, there are less needless pausing/lockout when swapping between diffrent UI elements and navigating and using actions in combat feelt alot less cumbersome somehow.

Off to a good start!

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Gonna give Dragonfall a shot next as I already have it in my library.

Because I'm retarded I've gone and made another rigger, this time without decking though ... I'm thinking about restarting with another build

Ended up rerolling as a rifle/decker and finished the game without too mutch hassle on hard. Overall it was an enjoyable experience, one that benefited greatly from having played Shadowrun: Returns beforehand in my opinion. It set the bar appropriately low and made for a pleasant surprise when they had indeed improved on most aspects of the game. I had to hold my nose at the narrative at times but that's mostly down to personal preference, I imagine.

Already bought and downloaded Shadowrun: Hongkong and intend to play it sometime in the near future, athough it might be a bit mutch to go back to back to back, we'll see.

I give it a solid 3.5 out of 5 - Good for what it is.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Something that's been bothering me about these games is how bad and juvenile the writing feels at times.

Specifically the characters feel really gay and juvenile, reminiscent of something a 14 year old would come up with. Is this just Hairbrained Schemes writers writing what they know or is this the quintessential Shadowrun experience? It's been getting worse for each successive installment but HongKong really takes the cake. The dark secret pasts, the quirky personalities, the unique snowflakes, the daddy issues... It makes me want to puke. As far as the rest is concerned, I don't even know anymore. All I wanted was to wear a trenchcoat and bop some bad guys with my cyber pistol, maybe tangle with some dystopian mega corps but It's getting really hard to see past the writing, the characters, the motivations.. ugh.

To any connoissuirs among you, are the modern Shadowrun games representative of the genre overall in your opinion? Or even representative of Shadowrun in general? I'm slowly starting to hate the whole thing.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
To any connoissuirs among you, are the modern Shadowrun games representative of the genre overall in your opinion? Or even representative of Shadowrun in general? I'm slowly starting to hate the whole thing.

No, I didn't hate the games, though I've never finished Hong Kong. Dragonfall is actually pretty good imo. But the games felt very sanitized and "rated PG" compared to any of the Shadowrun tabletop games my friends and I played years ago. Our games were far more mature and dark in tone, whereas I feel like HBS aimed for a younger audience of like early teens or maybe even tweeners.

Codex Year of the Donut
Decent games but I was shocked to learn there's apparently quite a few people that think they're amazing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There are a lot of mature themes that get explored in these games, but with very little nuance and some of the takes are ice cold. It's obvious the writers haven't really experienced the things they are writing about and so they come off as campy at best. The nu-Shadowruns are popcorn games and not much else. That doesn't mean they are bad, just a bit inconsequential.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
HongKong really takes the cake. The dark secret pasts, the quirky personalities, the unique snowflakes, the daddy issues... It makes me want to puke.
Agreed. Never finished HK because the writing was too tiresome.

But also note that the game contains backer NPCs that are even worse. Hopefully you're not talking about those. I forgot if they are toggleable or if you need a mod to remove them from the game, but it has to be done.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Feels like a damn shame and a wasted opportunity. There are alot of interesting stories that could have been told in this setting aswell as more interesting characters and ideas to explore. Loved the aesthetic though.

But also note that the game contains backer NPCs that are even worse. Hopefully you're not talking about those. I forgot if they are toggleable or if you need a mod to remove them from the game, but it has to be done.
I suspected this might be the case with some NPCs but never followed up on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom