Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #30: Concept art of how Shadowrun Returns will look in-game

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
It does, and the general concepts are nice, but everything is far too smooth and bright, and those awful cartoonish characters need to go. As it is, it looks like an absurd mix between the Banner Saga and Constructor (the latter actually being quite a good game, though hardly in line with what you'd expect from the Shadowrun setting).

With proper characters, sharper contours and more gloomy shadows and darkness, it could actually turn out quite well.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Really nice to have isometric 2d backgrounds in an RPG again.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I just want to see some cyberpunk street hookers is that so much to ask
Nah man, you want a classy yakuza-run bunraku brothel. The whole "Well, we blew up the brothel, what do we do with the meat puppets?" thing is a recurring theme in so many dumpshock campaigns. :P

kaizoku

Arcane
They're on the right direction, but they need to fix the characters. And I don't know what it is exactly, but the background feels a bit disney-esque (colors too bright?).

And what's up with the white doves? O_o

discussion on their forums: http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/topic/the-new-redmond-barrens-art
a lot of people disagreeing with the cartoony characters :incline:
may those comments help them see the light (or in this case remove the light et all)

attackfighter

Magister
At first I was impressed, but after thinking it over this looks too much like some flash game. The art style needs work...

zeitgeist

Magister
Shadowrun-Gameplay.png

4482478139_14058fec59_o.gif

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
background will remain 2d. only characters will be 3d.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Really nice to have isometric 2d backgrounds in an RPG again.

Well, it won't be 2D, will it? This is just a mockup. When it's gonna be in 3D you can say goodbye to all those nice details.

Read OP. They explicitly stated they were going for 3d characters on a 2d background. Think TOEE.

As for the characters noone loves, I think it's pretty obvious the runner characters are internal concept art for the modellers that's been scaled down and copypastaed to change it from "background concept" to "mock-up screenshot". I wouldn't worry too much about them just yet.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Read OP. They explicitly stated they were going for 3d characters on a 2d background. Think TOEE.

Well, that's embarrassing.

In that case, fucking impressive. :salute:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am not a fan of using so many colors and all but it works well in this shot; I approve.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Looks better than the Wasteland shot.

It does, yes, but that's the advantage of faking a screenshot rather than showing a WIP one. Doesn't really make a lot of sense to directly compare, does it?

I do like the 2D-background 3D-models concept though. Would've been happy if WL2 had gone that route too.

catfood

AGAIN
Looks better than the Wasteland shot.

It does, yes, but that's the advantage of faking a screenshot rather than showing a WIP one. Doesn't really make a lot of sense to directly compare, does it?

I do like the 2D-background 3D-models concept though. Would've been happy if WL2 had gone that route too.
Yeah, I know it's not fair to compare them but still I know that 2D backgrounds usually look better than 3D ones. I haven't played a 3D game that uses an over head camera that looks better than thei 2D counterpart. But I understand why Inexile went with 3D though being easier to work with and all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom