Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns Pre-Release Thread

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Nobody in their right mind would pay for his games what he used to charge before steam, except for the semi-autistic people that make their rounds on the spiderweb forums.

You heard it here first, folks: a Steam-is-evil sperg throwing around autisticcusations. Seriously, people, Steam isn't going anywhere, and if it ever does, the pirates or another DRM service will swoop in to rescue whatever's lost (jk, the pirates will already have stolen everything decades before because lol nihilism). Steam can be buggy and sluggish on slow connections (believe me, I've been on 40kbps for a year =| ), but it offers a lot of value that services like GoG can't (not that I'm hating on GoG, it's awesome, but the tiny tradeoffs Steam requires are more than fair).

And...they're releasing it with DRM because they're legally required to. I dunno how you can be upset with them for being at the mercy of Microsoft lawyers.

Anywho: I'm thinking of a secret number of copies of Shadowrun Returns (>7, <19) which I'll Steam gift to the less fortunate of us here at the Codex who live in potato and so on.
I enjoy how I make you insecure enough to feel as though you have to one-up me. :)

Two people offer to do something nice: One spits venom at the other. The human race, kids.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Nobody in their right mind would pay for his games what he used to charge before steam, except for the semi-autistic people that make their rounds on the spiderweb forums.

You heard it here first, folks: a Steam-is-evil sperg throwing around autisticcusations. Seriously, people, Steam isn't going anywhere, and if it ever does, the pirates or another DRM service will swoop in to rescue whatever's lost (jk, the pirates will already have stolen everything decades before because lol nihilism).
Where did I ever say anything against Steam you moron?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lots of people pirate shit because they are jewish, college students, or poor but there are people out there who pirate shit because they don't agree with a companies practices or restrictions of usage.

DRM restrictions are irrelevant... anything popular enough can be pirated. Even mmo's can be emulated with time.

I recently ran into this problem myself.. I travel a lot and wanted to watch HBO online but they don't have an online video service for their shows without a linked home TV service. My choices are to either pirate the shit or sign up with a cable or satellite provider. I have no qualms pirating shit.. I actually think it's intelligent because why would you pay money for something shitty. It feels to me like I'm contributing to the decline of mankind if I give money to a bad product.

I ended up signing up HBO to a friends house and sending him a check for a years worth of coverage. I enjoyed HBO and wanted to keep watching the shows. I made a conscious decision to support the network.. but the same can be said for games. I would rather make a decision to support a game than be forced into some shitty DRM arrangement. Take that for what you will, I'm a bad person but fuck steam. Anything that is steam only I will never buy. HBO was just an example of shit companies do that prevent me from donating money... but I haven't seen any games worth donating money to lately (besides Grimoire I suppose).

crawlkill

Yes, they were supposed to set up a website to support the editor but then they decided to use steam workshop instead.
Given that the topic was WAYS HAREBRAINED SCHEMES BETRAYED US, that sounded bilious. Sorry if it wasn't!

Anything that is steam only I will never buy.
Your misguided outrage ain't gonna change the future and it hurts nobody but the developers you care about. You really find the medium more important than the message?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not outrage lol, it's just a fact.

I'd rather pirate something than be told how I can use something I pay for. I still get the same usage out of the end product. It's just the company that loses out heh.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yes, they were supposed to set up a website to support the editor but then they decided to use steam workshop instead.
Given that the topic was WAYS HAREBRAINED SCHEMES BETRAYED US, that sounded bilious. Sorry if it wasn't!
I don't see where I say Steam is bad. Perhaps you need to learn to read. My issue is with the way the devs handled things.

But it's fine, similar situation with InXile. People think the outrage is because they are using a publisher, it's not, it's because of the dishonest way Fargo handled things.

crawlkill

It's not outrage lol, it's just a fact.I'd rather pirate something than be told how I can use something I pay for. I still get the same usage out of the end product. It's just the company that loses out heh.
And you, when they cease to exist. We're already living in the age when no one has to pay for digital goods...ever. The industry survives on people willing to do so. Steam's only usage restriction is "You get online once and activate offline mode while you have a connection up." I know people who've been offline-using a Steam account in online use elsewhere for years. It's...not a draconian service. It's enabling.
But it's fine, similar situation with InXile. People think the outrage is because they are using a publisher, it's not, it's because of the dishonest way Fargo handled things.
I guess we'll never know whether they were "dishonest" or just optimistic. Shit gets cut from corporate-funded games all the time for development reasons; I don't think it should surprise us when shoestring budget projects discover they can't deliver all they'd thought they'd be able to. In terms of distribution just as much as in terms of content. But I freely admit that I don't give a fuck about having to go through Steam (prefer it) and so probably tend to assume Mistakes Were Made rather than Underhanded Audience Manipulation.

I grew up in a household where any game CD I let migrate into my brother's room would end up lost, scratched, snapped or misfiled: having everything I own on a giant list is paradise for me, even on 40kbps.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Dear God, those 2010-2013 beggars are getting more pathetic every day. Oldfags should have highest priority to get some spare SR keys. Olfags like me. : x
P.S. Also, potatoe.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Blaine and Roguey should make people jump hoops for SRR keys. Like write reviews defending bad games.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Dear God, those 2010-2013 beggars are getting more pathetic every day. Oldfags should have highest priority to get some spare SR keys. Olfags like me. : x
P.S. Also, potatoe.

This man is a true potato :eek:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lots of people pirate shit because they are jewish, college students, or poor but there are people out there who pirate shit because they don't agree with a companies practices or restrictions of usage.

I am Jewish, a college student (well, grad student) and poor, and I don't pirate games.

Also, you're dumb.

Wulfstand

Prophet
So when the hell's this game being released?
I'm a bit amazed at the amount of 'requests' for free keys I've seen these past few posts, I wasn't expecting it on the 'dex. Then again, pretty much nobody from here knows me irl, and I am a student from Easter Europe to boot, I imagine it can't possibly hurt to ask, so I'll ask for a free copy as well.

Please do not give away keys to people who are so unsupportive of the (tentative) incline that they wouldn't pay for the game themselves. :troll:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Guys. Should I buy SRR on day-one? I didn't backed the project because I wasn't aware of it... But I'm excited now. Still, I have some doubts about going full price for it... What to do? :/
Wait, unless you don't mind potentially wasting money on something you won't enjoy.

Two people offer to do something nice: One spits venom at the other. The human race, kids.
Nevertheless, he only announced this was something he was going to do after I had already done it and plans to spend more money than I did. The one-upmanship is transparent.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Guys. Should I buy SRR on day-one? I didn't backed the project because I wasn't aware of it... But I'm excited now. Still, I have some doubts about going full price for it... What to do? :/
Wait, unless you don't mind potentially wasting money on something you won't enjoy.
bullshit. buy it for the eu price. even if the campaign itself turns out shitty, the custom modules and editor are worth more than 16 or 20 bucks.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I recommend just waiting to see what is the consensus here on the codex :troll: before buying it.
Why the troll? There's gonna be a consensus on this for sure, as the most problematic features seem to be Steam and some cut content - you can tell whether you are bothered by Steam DRM already and the rest you will get to know from the backers, plus we will also see how lively the modding community is going to be post release.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
bullshit. buy it for the eu price. even if the campaign itself turns out shitty, the custom modules and editor are worth more than 16 or 20 bucks.
For someone like me, who doesn't care at all about custom content made by amateurs nor have any desire to make my own, that would not be worth it.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For someone like me, who doesn't care at all about custom content made by amateurs nor have any desire to make my own, that would not be worth it.
Maybe Josh will make a module and then you will be sorry.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
so you're dismissing stuff like knights of the chalice, swords of xeen, mysteries of westgate or lazarus because it wasn't made by somebody who worked on some crappy tripple a action rpg shooter before?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I recommend just waiting to see what is the consensus here on the codex :troll: before buying it.
Why the troll? There's gonna be a consensus on this for sure, as the most problematic features seem to be Steam and some cut content - you can tell whether you are bothered by Steam DRM already and the rest you will get to know from the backers, plus we will also see how lively the modding community is going to be post release.

Some like Roguey want nothing to do with the editor and custom content, for them the value or not of the game will come down to how interesting the SP campaigns will be and the game mechanics themselves. Some will disregard the campaign and focus on exploring the custom content, some won't mind Steam integration both as DRM and in part as a custom module resource, some will hate it with a passion and demand more post-release support for the non-DRM version.

I doubt we can come to a consensus if the game is worth it or not, but on specific issues like the campaign quality, i trust that can be settled with little margin to argue, much like NWN2.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do they plan to make a demo version someday? Or are they afraid it could alienate potential customers? Concerning fan made content, the problem for me is not really the unprofessionalism of the content maker, but the fact that finding out which mods/campaigns are worth playing, and DLing/installing them is usually beyond my energy threshold concerning the game at the time the content is out.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
but the fact that finding out which mods/campaigns are worth playing, and DLing/installing them is usually beyond my energy threshold concerning the game at the time the content is out.
since the editor is already out and people are making stuff, custom content will be available from launch, downloading shit and installing it is easy peasy thanks to steam workshop and as far as finding out which ones are worthwhile, that's what codex bros are for.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Fan-made content is often shitty because people both talented in game design and writing (and that have the necessary programming skills) are hard to come by. But in this case I'm sure there are plenty of good P&P modules that should be fairly easy to adapt by clever individuals with enough spare time, and there's also the SNES title remake. I wouldn't rule out mods just now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom