Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns Pre-Release Thread

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Being on a 16 hour flight and realizing that you can't play the games you paid for.
Offline mode works indefinitely now, that's not an issue.

Anywho: I'm thinking of a secret number of copies of Shadowrun Returns (>7, <19) which I'll Steam gift to the less fortunate of us here at the Codex who live in potato and so on.

However, every time some apologist excuses the Harebrained bait-and-switch from here on out, that number will decrease by 1.

If you still have a key left, I would love to get one. Just graduated and jobless at the moment so dont have spare case unfortunately.

If I land a decent job in the future I promise to do something similar charitable for broke codex members.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I'm a bit amazed at the amount of 'requests' for free keys I've seen these past few posts, I wasn't expecting it on the 'dex. Then again, pretty much nobody from here knows me irl, and I am a student from Easter Europe to boot, I imagine it can't possibly hurt to ask, so I'll ask for a free copy as well.

"can't stand those gays but well I'm desperate for a blowjob so if any guys want my number" it's really not shameful to accept $15US worth of internet charity for a luxury good guise you don't have to protest about how gross it is while asking for it unless you're a Republican senator

Please do not give away keys to people who are so unsupportive of the (tentative) incline that they wouldn't pay for the game themselves.

but the people talking about pirating it because Steam is fascism don't bother you?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
For someone like me, who doesn't care at all about custom content made by amateurs nor have any desire to make my own, that would not be worth it.
so you're dismissing stuff like knights of the chalice, swords of xeen, mysteries of westgate or lazarus because it wasn't made by somebody who worked on some crappy tripple a action rpg shooter before?
Anything that is sold is not amateur and Lazarus was a remake (no interest in remakes either).

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
bullshit. buy it for the eu price. even if the campaign itself turns out shitty, the custom modules and editor are worth more than 16 or 20 bucks.
For someone like me, who doesn't care at all about custom content made by amateurs nor have any desire to make my own, that would not be worth it.
Why would you even buy this game if you don't have any hope of modders salvaging it then?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why would you even buy this game if you don't have any hope of modders salvaging it then?
I'm expecting Dead's Man Switch, the Berlin campaign, and any future official campaigns I might be interested in to be enjoyable enough.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Anything that is sold is not amateur and Lazarus was a remake (no interest in remakes either).
so if the license allowed people to sell their sr modules, you'd suddenly change your stance towards them?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
so if the license allowed people to sell their sr modules, you'd suddenly change your stance towards them?
Depends on if there were quality controls in place.
What exact difference is there between a module that has passed quality control and was allowed to be sold in a official web shop and the same module that can't be sold because no modules can?

Wizfall

Cipher
Like Roguey I'm not expecting a lot from custom content, at least in term of scenario.
Firstly because almost every custom "quest mod" are awful (maybe 2/3 at best that are good for FNV despite the huge community).
And also because i don't think the core cRPG "mechanics" are going to be complex enough to be enjoyable for very long.
Could be some interesting mods to pick though (tweaks to some mechanics mostly or improved UI for example).
Could be wrong too as Shadowrun come from P&P RPG and has some nice professional scenarios but yea...

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Actually I'm expecting that most if not many mods will be from P&P scenarios, which would be cool

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What exact difference is there between a module that has passed quality control and was allowed to be sold in a official web shop and the same module that can't be sold because no modules can?
I don't feel like spending time digging through a large list of amateur mods and trusting that positive reviews are in-line with what I think.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 were any indication, 99% of all the modules that come out will be shit. But if you wait around for other poeple to play them and a vault/nexus site to review them, the last 1% can be pure gold.

crawlkill

Firstly because almost every custom "quest mod" are awful (maybe 2/3 at best that are good for FNV despite the huge community)

Creating custom quest content within fully-voiced games is inherently strange, though. You can either do a shit job at your own voiceover and recording, have bizarrely silent NPCs (would their mouths move...?) or present your entire narrative through books, terminals, that kind of thing. I think you'll probably see a lot more pople with verbal chops showing up for SR.

Of course, 99% of everything will be crap. But that's true of all areas of life. It's not somehow unique to non-commercial content.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I don't feel like spending time digging through a large list of amateur mods and trusting that positive reviews are in-line with what I think.
i get the time argument, but how is trusting positive reviews worse than trusting in some random unknown QA wageslave, especially given the current state of QA in the gaming industry?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 were any indication, 99% of all the modules that come out will be shit. But if you wait around for other poeple to play them and a vault/nexus site to review them, the last 1% can be pure gold.

Basically this.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I can't play even the supposedly good NWN2 because of it being a clunky piece of shit. SRR being at least playable improves the odds greatly.

Flacracker

Educated
It's also hard to build 3D envionments in those games for quests. Shadowrun Returns being tile-based with pre-fab pieces will help with that aspect of questing. This helped Legend of Grimrock have some pretty cools custom dungeons.

crawlkill

I can't play even the supposedly good NWN2 because of it being a clunky piece of shit. SRR being at least playable improves the odds greatly.

I know right. Tried so many times, defeated on every outing by not being willing to fight against the interface. Fuck porting Baldur's Gate into the NWN2 engine, let's port NWN2 into the BG2 engine.

Zetor

Arcane
FYI, "The Lost Lamb" is made by a professional game developer (as in, works for a game company as a technical director and has already shipped some games). The other 'big mod project' is Shadowrun:Identity, which is basically remaking official Shadowrun modules (with the blessing of the creators) for SRR... which means that they will probably end up decent-to-good even if the individual SRI modders aren't stellar.

Of course MY module will be the bestestest of them all. :smug:

Wulfstand

Prophet
I'm a bit amazed at the amount of 'requests' for free keys I've seen these past few posts, I wasn't expecting it on the 'dex. Then again, pretty much nobody from here knows me irl, and I am a student from Easter Europe to boot, I imagine it can't possibly hurt to ask, so I'll ask for a free copy as well.

"can't stand those gays but well I'm desperate for a blowjob so if any guys want my number" it's really not shameful to accept $15US worth of internet charity for a luxury good guise you don't have to protest about how gross it is while asking for it unless you're a Republican senator

It was meant to be a joke, friendo.

I couldn't agree more.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

What?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom