Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns Pre-Release Thread

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
EA owns the IP. InXile owns the trademark (the rights to make Wasteland 2).
They own the stuff that was in Wasteland 1, but they don't own the entire setting. So InXile could set the game in Nevada or Texas or New Mexico and be perfectly fine.

Not really. They can't make a game called Wasteland 3.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...discussion-thread.74337/page-148#post-2755337

I stand corrected. I could swear I heard Infinitron say otherwise.

KithKanan

Novice

At the least, I think it would be less clear-cut than BN thinks. Whether or not EA could win, EA could certainly sue over such a game, and EA can afford far more lawyers for far more time than inXile. Though inXile owning the "Wasteland" trademark makes it interesting, since usually in unauthorized sequel lawsuits the copyright and trademark are held by the same side.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
can we take a moment to appreciate that this thread has degenerated into nerds angrily comparing how much they know about corporate publishing politics
If we're going to be funding games, we need to know this stuff. Especially if you care about DRM free, who's getting the profits, potential for sequels and/or expansions.

I hope InXile's next project is a brand new IP, and I think I'm going to favor brand new IPs a lot more in the future, so I know that the company I've given money to controls the entire process.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
EA owns the IP. InXile owns the trademark (the rights to make Wasteland 2).
They own the stuff that was in Wasteland 1, but they don't own the entire setting. So InXile could set the game in Nevada or Texas or New Mexico and be perfectly fine.

Not really. They can't make a game called Wasteland 3.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...discussion-thread.74337/page-148#post-2755337

You could swear ...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Edit: Only a retard like Blaine could brofist your "knowing" post. Qui se ressemble s'assemble.
That's not the part I was brofisting, you dumb cock. I was brofisting him for not being a butthurt, squealing fanboy who gets mad if anyone challenges his picture-perfect mental image of whatever developer he happens to be worshipping at the moment.

Cue Grunker trotting out some inane shit about Star Citizen and what a massive hypocrite I am. I'll nip that in the bud here by outlining criticisms I've leveled at CIG, including: Extending LTI long past the cutoff date they promised, selling limited-time ships again after saying "these ships will never be sold again for money," selling more than 100 Idris-class Corvettes (and selling watered-down alternate versions for a higher price in order to kinda-sorta pretend it's not the same ship), and more. In other words, much the same sort of thing I'm criticizing Harebrained for: failure to deliver on a promise.

Really, Harebrained's culpability is not in question. They're guilty, but it's really not that big of a deal, and they're still releasing what I hope will be a great game. My entire issue in this thread is with fanboy apologists, and if you're too dumb and/or disingenuous to see that, then I pity you.

Also, please continue with the apologism. I essentially get $20 back for each instance.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Edit: Only a retard like Blaine could brofist your "knowing" post. Qui se ressemble s'assemble.
That's not the part I was brofisting, you dumb cock. I was brofisting him for not being a butthurt, squealing fanboy who gets mad if anyone challenges his picture-perfect mental image of whatever developer he happens to be worshipping at the moment.

Cue Grunker trotting out some inane shit about Star Citizen and what a massive hypocrite I am. I'll nip that in the bud here by outlining criticisms I've leveled at CIG, including: Extending LTI long past the cutoff date they promised, selling limited-time ships again after saying "these ships will never be sold again for money," selling more than 100 Idris-class Corvettes (and selling watered-down alternate versions for a higher price in order to kinda-sorta pretend it's not the same ship), and more. In other words, much the same sort of thing I'm criticizing Harebrained for: failure to deliver on a promise.

Really, Harebrained's culpability is not in question. They're guilty, but it's really not that big of a deal, and they're still releasing what I hope will be a great game. My entire issue in this thread is with fanboy apologists, and if you're too dumb and/or disingenuous to see that, then I pity you.

Also, please continue with the apologism. I essentially get $20 back for each instance.

Are you talking with me? Cause I did not apologize for anything. Not for me or HB's crap.

Wtf? This shit is getting weird.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Are you talking with me? Cause I did not apologize for anything. Not for me or HB's crap.

Wtf? This shit is getting weird.

The first sentence is directed at you (I wasn't brofisting Rake for his commentary on the Wasteland IP), the second paragraph is intended for Grunker, and the last two apply to any apologists attempting to absolve Harebrained of all culpability for the limited functionality of the DRM-free version.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Blaine said:
Cue Grunker trotting out some inane shit about Star Citizen and what a massive hypocrite I am.

I don't carry my butthurt into other threads. I build it on in the relevant thread and bottle it up inside until it bleeds out and becomes an entity of its own.

AFAIK that's how the ancients gave birth to Skyway.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I don't carry my butthurt into other threads.

From the Project Eternity thread:

And what hypocrisy would that be?

You can't use the strawman that Roguey is apologetic without attacking his arguments and at the same time explain away Roberts' worrysome attitude towards World of Tanks with "there's probably a good reason." That he later disavowed the comparison does not legitimize the fact that you flat out stated stuff like "he probably doesn't know the model" when you had no idea that this was the case - i.e. you gave him the benefit of the doubt. Then after doing that, you come here and call everyone else apologetic because they use actual arguments from the horse's own mouth?

Apologizing for Roberts without knowing whether you're right, I can live with. Using a strawman against Roguey for being an apologist, I can live with. But those two at the same time? I had you pegged as one of the bros on here more interested in actual discussion and being informed than bullshit strawmen and being right.

Kudos on slandering me enough in a different thread to draw me back into the argument, though. Real mature.

You were being hypocritical and I called you out on it. You reap as you sow.

You're acting exactly like Roguey in the Star Citizen thread. If you can't see that yourself, it ain't my problem.
Oh, I'm sorry—that's not butthurt, it's your fair and balanced accurate assessment of my character. Nevermind all the rage that goes in that thread on your part, that's not butthurt either.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Damn. I guess our aforementioned gay romance is just too strong to surpress :love:

o6issec.jpg

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
Well, as I was very butthurt about HBS lying --Logic Derpists style--, with respect of their Microsoft dealing, with respect of my Steam key:
I already activated it and can't wait for the 25 of july. :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom