Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns Pre-Release Thread

pocahaunted

Arcane
Pretty disgusting development, to be frank. It's not even like they were forced to do it by a lack of option, it just stinks of laziness.

Fuck Steam and its DRM loving acolytes.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The way I read the announcement the non-steam version will still be able to do mods. It just won't have an integrated (steam workshop) browser for them. Neither did Jedi knight, neverwinter nights, Morrowind etc. that Didn't hamper their modding communities.

Having future DLC could throw a spanner in the works. But if the game turns out decent, I'm sure most clever modders will find a way to repackage the official DLC in an unofficial manner for non-steam channels.

I was getting it on steam for Linux regardless, so I don't really mind. I've got local copies of all my steam games - with cracks - on a USB hard disk.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You agreed that we couldn't expect a lot for 1.2 mil.
Actually, this is what I agreed with:
Well they barely got 2 million, I think for that much money, we can't expect W2, PE or Divinity level complexity. I think for that money, we will get a fairly good RPG.
And I still do. I never said we can't expect "a lot". :)

As for comparison to KoTC, it's a completely different animal and I think SR will be superior to that game in some areas, while being inferior in others.
Should it be inferior to KoTC in any way, considering budget and workforce differences? I'll agree that probably not.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Another Kikestarter dev lies through his teeth

Shadowrun will feature Steam DRM and all future retarded DLCs (wasn't the big point of kikestarting to not have this stupid shit in games?) will be Steam exclusive too.

Remember - Kikestarter saves gaming!

“Now, that may prompt the question, “What about DRM-free?” To honor our original promise of a DRM-free version of the game, the Harebrained Account Website will also contain a downloadable version of Shadowrun Returns that does not include Steam integration. While this version will include the Seattle story (and Berlin, via a one-time update), without Steam integration, it will be unable to browse and play community-created stories from within the game. Any future DLC will only be available through Steam. ”

Great thing it doesn't have an Evil Publisher! He would totally put a DRM there and milk it with DLCs!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm getting the STEAM version of this so I don't have a problem with this personally. Though I am curious for when they clarify the DRM DRAMA on Friday.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Another Kikestarter dev lies through his teeth

Shadowrun will feature Steam DRM and all future retarded DLCs (wasn't the big point of kikestarting to not have this stupid shit in games?) will be Steam exclusive too.

Remember - Kikestarter saves gaming!

:1/5: (because I was curious enough to unhide your ignored comment).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Shadowrun will feature Steam DRM and all future retarded DLCs (wasn't the big point of kikestarting to not have this stupid shit in games?)

Pretty sure most people wanted the awesome turn-based tactical combat RPG set in the Shadowrun world, rather than caring about them daring to use the most popular PC gaming platform of all time.

Shadowrun will feature Steam DRM and all future retarded DLCs (wasn't the big point of kikestarting to not have this stupid shit in games?)

Pretty sure most people wanted the awesome turn-based tactical combat RPG set in the Shadowrun world, rather than caring about them daring to use the most popular PC gaming platform of all time.

That's great bro, but why only Steam gets updates and mods? Couldn't have they arranged something with GoG so people that don't want Steam also get mods and updates?

Mortmal

Arcane
http://harebrained-schemes.com/shadowrun/shadowrun-returns-pre-order/
Thats the preorder page, notice that to get the game you only have to pay 15 $ .....

Now have a look at their kickstarter page long ago, when you were backing for something without any guarantee of getting anything, and might have well threw it through the window :

Pledge $15 or more

15502 backers
A Digital Downloadable copy of the game, DRM free on PC, Mac, or Linux + one totally sweet, exclusive desktop WALLPAPER for your PC, Mac, or mobile tablet.

That means you are taking risks and getting the same things as someone who dont , except a fantastic exclusive wallpaper... the wise thing was not to give anything, wait for the sheep to do so, and pay the exact same price while having all the info months later, like details in small prints at the bottom of the pages aka its a steam only game.

Wizfall

Cipher
SR :
- TB and party based combats
- isometric
- good graphics
- excellent and innovative grim dark with a twist setting (not ANOTHER heroic fantasy DnD....) and hopefully a good story
- good or at least ok character system
- some dialogs options and skills checks
- an editor
But :
- will certainly have a quite linear story with only limited C&C
- infinite ammo (for what that matter in this setting...)
- no loots or complicated inventory system
- a checkpoint save system
- maybe DRM only DLC

I don't regret at all backing this project.
Far from perfect but sill very exciting.
Even without giving HBS any slack considering their low budget, it's still by far on the "incline" side.
Well worth 20$.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That's great bro, but why only Steam gets updates and mods? Couldn't have they arranged something with GoG so people that don't want Steam also get mods and updates?

I would rather a GOG version too, I am just responding to the silly idea that people are motivated to kickstart these games because they hate Steam or whatever. No, it's because they wanted these games to be made.

MetalCraze

Arcane

Clearly Evil Publisher forced them to fuck people who were promised that the game won't have DRM at all.

We promise a mountains of gold before you give us money - then when we get those money fuck you!
Evil Publishers forced us into contracts which we had to abide by but now we can fuck the end user all we want. And why not? Stoic did it by making you buy Banner Saga three times, so why can't we milk our game with DLCs?

I would rather a GOG version too, I am just responding to the silly idea that people are motivated to kickstart these games because they hate Steam or whatever. No, it's because they wanted these games to be made.

And then milked with DLCs? Or sold to you three times? Or forced a DRM on you - and if you don't want it you won't get any patches and will just have a broken demo?

All that whining about Evil Publishers making devs do that - and what do we have here bro?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yep. I din't back this out of some DRM protest. I backed solely because it said a fucking Turn-Based Shadowrun video game. Yes please. <3

Mortmal

Arcane
No i dont mind much, but its some false advetisement there, there some people allergic to steam,reading the kickstarter page you could have expected it to be on GOG or desura rather than steam. Its a big DRM , you cant give away your box to a friend for example, nor your digital copy, wich is allowed , legal , in europe and steam doesnt comply to .

Yep. I din't back this out of some DRM protest. I backed solely because it said a fucking Turn-Based Shadowrun video game. Yes please. <3

That's true bro, but I dislike this lack of honesty. In the beginning the kickstarter DID stand for supporting non-DRM games (well not only that, but you get it). Now, you might argue that these are technicalities (and that they will enable people that don't want steam to get their drm-free game, as they have promised), but the lack of updates and mods for someone who paid for the game and doesn't want Steam is a bit assholish on this we are old school vibe, not to mention you can get the game for 15$ even now, with significantly less risk, and almost none of the drawbacks. This is just my opinion. I like honesty and bluntness. Not PR and bullshit. I also dislike that it seems to me they are going to nickel and dime DLCs which is completely the opposite of how they were behaving during their kickstarter campaign. If they just mentioned DLC they wouldn't have gotten as much funds as they have.

Wizfall

Cipher
Thats the preorder page, notice that to get the game you only have to pay 15 $ .....

Now have a look at their kickstarter page long ago, when you were backing for something without any guarantee of getting anything, and might have well threw it through the window :

Pledge $15 or more

15502 backers
A Digital Downloadable copy of the game, DRM free on PC, Mac, or Linux + one totally sweet, exclusive desktop WALLPAPER for your PC, Mac, or mobile tablet.

That means you are taking risks and getting the same things as someone who dont , except a fantastic exclusive wallpaper... the wise thing was not to give anything, wait for the sheep to do so, and pay the exact same price while having all the info months later, like details in small prints at the bottom of the pages aka its a steam only game.

It's not a Steam only game.
It's the DLC which are Steam exclusive (and only for now and maybe DRM free too; wait and see friday)
Also even if for some people kickstarting a game is a way to be "wise" i'm quite convinced that is not the case for the majority so it's quite a dull statement.
Moreover you don't have the main game+Berlin campaign for 15$, be more careful.

Mortmal

Arcane
Ok ill admit i have not seen the berlin campaign mentioned there . You say its not steam exclusive, but you dont get the dlc and future expansions if you are not on steam ? Seems its the superior version. Its not really crystal clear that i will be avalaible elsewhere , as i understand it you will always end up with a steam key.

On this page i only see mention of steam keys, even if you preorder before the 28 , you will get a steam key no matter the amount you pay .

Wizfall

Cipher
No i dont mind much, but its some false advetisement there, there some people allergic to steam,reading the kickstarter page you could have expected it to be on GOG or desura rather than steam. Its a big DRM , you cant give away your box to a friend for example, nor your digital copy, wich is allowed , legal , in europe and steam doesnt comply to .
False info again.
No false advertisement anywhere, main campaign + Berlin is DRM free for backers.
The "one time update" for DRM free version is very bad but from a legit point of view nothing wrong.
I dislike a lot Steam only for DLC but people like you spreading false info to make people rage even more...
Anyway Steam only DLC does not necessary need DRM and they may change their mind
Also preorders are no backers FFS...

SwiftCrack

Arcane

Pledge $15 or more

15502 backers

With the 15 backer option you get Berlin for free.

Mortmal

Arcane
False info again.
No false advertisement anywhere, main campaign + Berlin is DRM free for backers.
The "one time update" for DRM free version is very bad but from a legit point of view nothing wrong.
I dislike a lot Steam only for DLC but people like you spreading false info to make people rage even more...
Anyway Steam only DLC does not necessary need DRM and they may change their mind
Also preorders are no backers FFS...

Excuse me but writing boldly drm free on your kickstarter page , then putting it on steam , its false advertisement. That doesnt mean the game wont be fantasic or so, but its dishonest, i'v seen people jumping at the conquistador guys throats for much less than that . As for preorders arent backers? 3 months preorders ?? Dont make me laugh the release was set to january now they need a little more cash to survive till june. With the emphasis of order before the 28! they really need that cash now .
As for the berlin dlc i will laugh if its one buck or two...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom