Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shadows Behind The Throne - That Which Sleeps-inspired game

What bugs me and what bought some fools into investing into TWS scam is the art - it was good. Compare it with Shadows of Forbidden Gods mediocricy:
RuuhNL.png

xIuUXj.png

And this:
Yrxr9mj.jpeg

See? They invested into their scam, so said art attracted many more people into their scheme. And decent art appeal to people much more than hald-assed primitivism on nuMaster of Magic levels of flash-player mess.
You're not wrong, but I'd rather have great gameplay than great art.

I'm sure if the game does well, he can invest in proper art, rather than unity assets, but needs must.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Thank god the mods moved this fucking discussion away from the TWS thread, we wouldn't want the imaginary trolling to get in the way of the tangible trolling.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I actually bought this after reading this thread and it seems quite fun. Sure, uglier than the ahem predecessor (the fake screenshots we got) but still. I dig different agents and play styles.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thank god the mods moved this fucking discussion away from the TWS thread, we wouldn't want the imaginary trolling to get in the way of the tangible trolling.
How the fuck do I give you those little emoticon things? You deserve some for this.
you have to wait a little. Or is it a minimum number of posts? I don't remember.

Once you can, it will appear under people's posts

How the fuck do I give you those little emoticon things? You deserve some for this.
you have to wait a little. Or is it a minimum number of posts? I don't remember.

Once you can, it will appear under people's posts
Thank you sir.

I would give a 'useful information' or 'thanks' emoticon if I were, y'know, able.

I actually bought this after reading this thread and it seems quite fun. Sure, uglier than the ahem predecessor (the fake screenshots we got) but still. I dig different agents and play styles.

But it's not out yet? I mean SFG. I guess SBT is out.
I think the 'predecessor' he references with the fake screenshots and such is TWS.

Indeed, SFG isn't out, but SBT1 and 2 is.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What bugs me and what bought some fools into investing into TWS scam is the art - it was good. Compare it with Shadows of Forbidden Gods mediocricy:.

You're not wrong, but I'd rather have great gameplay than great art.

I'm sure if the game does well, he can invest in proper art, rather than unity assets, but needs must.
Especially if said art was only from an animated powerpoint mimicking a real game..

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Honestly, the art in this SFG thingy doesnt look that bad at all as far as I am concerned. I would be completely fine with it as long as there is an actual game to go with it. The fact that this is just one dude working on this in his garage doesnt inspire much confidence, but who knows - TWS managed to be great fun without even existing, so the bar for this type of a game is not very high as it is.

Honestly, the art in this SFG thingy doesnt look that bad at all as far as I am concerned. I would be completely fine with it as long as there is an actual game to go with it. The fact that this is just one dude working on this in his garage doesnt inspire much confidence, but who knows - TWS managed to be great fun without even existing, so the bar for this type of a game is not very high as it is.
I mean, he's released a demo and 2 other, working games man. I think there's a good chance.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Shadow Empire looks garbo but its a great game so whatever, graphics don't matter to me.

Granted one can purchase cheap art from cheap artists easily but obviously this is a very niche game...

Binky

Cipher
Downloaded the demo for Shadows of Forbidden Gods and played a few games. Had a lot of fun with it. One game I took over an Orc fortress and started growing the horde until it wrecked two kingdoms and took over almost a quarter of the known world. I also corrupted two nations, turned one into the Dark Empire and started invading smaller kingdoms. I sent an agent to a distant overseas kingdom, where I started spreading the plague until almost every settlement was infected and people were dropping like flies. Assassinated a ruler so that his corrupt heir could take the throne. And I killed the Chosen One. Awesome.

You can also goad nations into destructive wars, change the climate until the land is uninhabitable, corrupt nobles and heroes, ravage farms, fan unrest and destabilize cities, and raise undead armies.

Some screenshots
VBitAo9.png

MzzE4D4.png

K97d2SZ.png

The massive Orc army bulldozes everything in its path.
KQ5N6S0.png

EY90fbQ.png

bR8jCCf.png

T1yy17t.png

Pd3KARQ.png

mGY5HEp.png

GxoIaIs.png

oasis789

Arcane
I played the demo as well and had my orcs steamroll the continent, wasn't really that interesting since the human kingdoms didn't put up much of a fight. Then when the orcs stopped fighting I raised the dead from their battles as zombies. The heroes could kill my agents easily but they were completely ineffective on the strategic level.

The more interesting part IMO is the courtier agent's ability to incite grudges. This part has a lot of potential, like crusader kings intrigue.

Glad to hear some of you guys are enjoying this.

Orcs, armies, hero vs agent combat, magic is all on the to do list once the game hits EA. I'm sure those mechanics will be fleshed out further, as will the Intrigue and deceptive stuff such as causing scandals (one of my favourite pastimes also btw).

Anyways new devlog up focused on my personal favourite god - Iastur, The Laughing King (certainly not inspired by the King in Yellow):

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1741640/view/2992070656352882802

Nahel

Arcane
Will buy that. Was impressed by the demo even if Orcs raped human factions a bit too easily.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom