Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Shardpunk Verminfall - Tactical Survival Strategy Game in a Steampunk, Rat-Infested World

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by cyborgboy95, Nov 16, 2021.

1. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95
    https://shardpunkgame.com

Show Spoiler

There is a free demo available on steam

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    ^ Top  
  3. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    I hate the fake pixel art style, it makes game look worse than they should be.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Parsimonious cook Prophet Patron

Parsimonious cook
    Strap Yourselves In
    IMO it looks more like poor man´s Halfway.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    demo seem cool

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Parsimonious cook Prophet Patron

Parsimonious cook
    Strap Yourselves In
    Alright, finished the demo, here are some impressions:

- I am sick of the pixel graphics, but I guess I could tolerate it here
    - the game is literaly Halfway with some Darkest Dungeon elements (namely stress that can cause negative quirks and camping between missions)
    - The structure of the game is the same as in Halfway, ie there is a "strategic map" where you can select the path that you take towards the ultimate objective, in the individual missions you always have to find the exit and sometimes also fulfill some other tasks before exiting, plus you have to loot as much as possible
    - combat is just as simplistic as in the Halfway, ie there is cover, two actions per character (ie move, double move, shoot/use skill/use item), each character has different weapon and skills
    - characters can level up to learn new skills and even upgrade their weapons, you need to loot food (like in DD, food gives back health and morale, lack of food reduces them), medkits, grenades and other useful stuff
    - while Halfway had the "base" where you could do stuff in between missions, camping is much more detailed here, with obvious DD influence
    - there are like seven or so playable characters in the demo, each is fairly unique and follows a basic archetype (sniper, gunslinger, heavy etc)

As for the gameplay itself:
    - AI is OK, ranged enemies take cover and sometimes overwatch, melee enemies try to swarm you
    - it seems that once you make contact with the enemy, they keep coming either in unlimited waves or at least in massive numbers, this makes sure that you are under constant preasure to keep going towards the exit instead of hoarding all the loot
    - difficulty is pretty solid (lost two characters out of four in the first playthrough)
    - Atmosphere is pretty great, though I cant say much about the storyfag elements from the demo

Honestly I am pleasantly surprised by the difficulty and general flow of the gameplay. If you liked Halfway, this is a game you will definitely enjoy, especially if you like DD as well. Got it on wishlist right after playing. The only real drawback for me is the pixel graphics, but w/e, I can live with that if the game itself is good.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    can you play as the rat people?

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Parsimonious cook Prophet Patron

Parsimonious cook
    Strap Yourselves In
    You can play as a bunch of 19th century steam punk ladies and gentlemen.

• incline incline x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.