Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Guess the Magatama system is back, huh?

[...]such as growing the power of Naobino.

I seriously can't wait. I am even more pumped for this game than for Elden Ring.

Deflowerer

Arcane
so Doi is the demon designer and Kaneko is nowhere to be seen.

Looks like I'm skipping it.

Kaneko is for all intents and purposes retired and he is not coming back. As much as I love Kaneko, that's frankly the best course of events. Dude was the main art designer for 20 years, you need to pass the torch to younger artists and developers.

Sentinel

Arcane

Kaneko is for all intents and purposes retired and he is not coming back. As much as I love Kaneko, that's frankly the best course of events. Dude was the main art designer for 20 years, you need to pass the torch to younger artists and developers.
I don't care about this new age consoomer trend of "passing the torch" shit. Especially not when you pass the torch to a deviant-art tier artist. This guy has 20+ designs to his name, and maybe 1 of those is acceptable. If Kaneko is gone, either they end SMT and start doing spin offs to give the new hires a chance, or I walk out the door. Since they choose to pretend SMT is still alive, I'm choosing to walk out the door.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Seems like pure
crazyrobot.gif

the SMT series has problems, this one is just a very minor issue though

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
If Kaneko is gone, either they end SMT and start doing spin offs to give the new hires a chance, or I walk out the door.

Because all those SMT spin-offs outside of Persona were all really huge success and sold like crazy. Even the good ones like Raidou , Devil survivor and Devil Summoner, right :smug:. Oh wait they're all fucking dead because Atlus have shit in their head and SMT is the only thing SMT/Megaten related that have some mid success.. Again , outside of Persona.

Idk even know what i talking about. I just mad that SMTV is taking forever and the story going to be probably garbage like 4.

Last edited:

Nathir

Liturgist

The problem is that Kaneko was the main influence that gave SMT it's own defining feel and image. And that Doi is terrible.

Another problem is that Kaneko has so many iconic designs that they just keep reusing. And mixing with new stuff. And it looks terrible. SMT4 looked messy af. Because of 20 different artists working on it. And the shitty 3DS resolution didn't help. Granted if demons only have 3D models and no artwork this isn't a problem.

Seems like pure
crazyrobot.gif

the SMT series has problems, this one is just a very minor issue though

It's a great article. If for no other reason than clearly showing Doi is a juvenile retard fit only for drawing Visual novels.

d1r

Patron
You just can't replace Kaneko as simple as that, but that doesn't mean you should stop creating games like Shin Megami Tensei.

Because even without Kaneko's art, games likes Strange Journey Redux or SMT4 still have a very unique setting compared to most of the JRPG garbage we see on the market.

Sentinel

Arcane
You do realize that Kaneko was lead on Strange Journey (which was meant to be SMT4) and he was the original lead writer & concept designer of SMT4 before mysterious circumstances swooped him off the project and they cut 90% of his story and just used his world and characters right?

Using those 2 games as examples of SMT without Kaneko doesn't really support the point you're trying to make. Especially because SMT4 was a complete mess in the art department.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You do realize that Kaneko was lead on Strange Journey (which was meant to be SMT4) and he was the original lead writer & concept designer of SMT4 before mysterious circumstances swooped him off the project and they cut 90% of his story and just used his world and characters right?

Using those 2 games as examples of SMT without Kaneko doesn't really support the point you're trying to make. Especially because SMT4 was a complete mess in the art department.
Strange Journey was 12 years ago. Wow, Kaneko sure is fucking relevant. Especially when Doi was in charge of the art in SJ Redux, not Kaneko.

Maxie

kaneko's humanoid designs are ugly as fuck he can't draw faces for shit especially
it's amazing how much persona 3-4-5 salvaged this artstyle

Sentinel

Arcane

Strange Journey was 12 years ago. Wow, Kaneko sure is fucking relevant. Especially when Doi was in charge of the art in SJ Redux, not Kaneko.
What does that have to do with anything? Do you even know how to read? lmao. And Doi's demons in SJ Redux were absolute shit. The only one that was ok was the water/ice demon.

d1r

Patron

Well, I actually didn't know that. I was under the impression that he mainly was the art guy. I guess we will have to see then how a new mainstream SMT will turn out without him (hopefully not as cancerous as SMT4A).

Sentinel

Arcane
I guess we will have to see then how a new mainstream SMT will turn out without him
You already had one - SMT4A.

Btw, on SMT4:
The development team, which was dubbed Team Maniacs,[18] included both staff who had worked on previous Shin Megami Tensei titles and newer staff who had not. There were differences in thinking between the two, which led to conflicts. As an example of this, game director Kazuyuki Yamai said that some of the staff would be used to contemporary games featuring "sweet" female characters who "say nice things", and as a result would want to add that "sweetness" to Shin Megami Tensei IV; meanwhile, Yamai saw the series as having "bitter" content, and thought that it would not be possible to add "sweetness" to it. Additionally, the staff members had differing images of the meaning of Shin Megami Tensei; Yamai thought that the good points of each staff member's interpretation should go into the aspects of the game they were in charge of, while not deviating from the "bitterness".

It's no surprise SMT4A was basically persona-lite when half the dev team wanted to make a modern jRPG with waifus for party members who never shut the fuck up.

It's no surprise SMT4A was basically persona-lite when half the dev team wanted to make a modern jRPG with waifus for party members who never shut the fuck up.

In case of Apocalypse, Persona shit was revealed in the very first trailers and now, judging from what we have, SMT5 is glowing with solitude and despair.

Deflowerer

Arcane
I think the worst this game could really be is for all and intents and purposes SMT3-2 that wallows in the nostalgia of that classic.

Puukko

Arcane
The fact the world is called Da'at makes me expect SMT2 references more than anything. "The God you worship is dead" leaves little room for interpretation (only Lucifer's trustworthiness) and while they don't tend to explicitly tie the games together (and trying to force large scale canon interpretations of the franchise as a whole is a quick way to end up in the pit of fanfic autism) that is one of 2's potential outcomes and Lucifer along with the Abyss (worlds directly named after the sefirot) plays a major role in that story.

YHVH being incapacitated does happen in the series. In Nocturne I don't think it is directly mentioned, but Kagutsuchi is his stand-in lackey and Lucifer has his sights on the Great Will which he would not be able to do were YHVH in the way. In Strange Journey he is confirmed to be incapacitated and 'broken' into pieces but this was done by Mem Aleph and the mothers while Lucifer largely plays the role of a passive observer.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
The fact the world is called Da'at makes me expect SMT2 references more than anything. "The God you worship is dead" leaves little room for interpretation (only Lucifer's trustworthiness) and while they don't tend to explicitly tie the games together (and trying to force large scale canon interpretations of the franchise as a whole is a quick way to end up in the pit of fanfic autism) that is one of 2's potential outcomes and Lucifer along with the Abyss (worlds directly named after the sefirot) plays a major role in that story.

YHVH being incapacitated does happen in the series. In Nocturne I don't think it is directly mentioned, but Kagutsuchi is his stand-in lackey and Lucifer has his sights on the Great Will which he would not be able to do were YHVH in the way. In Strange Journey he is confirmed to be incapacitated and 'broken' into pieces but this was done by Mem Aleph and the mothers while Lucifer largely plays the role of a passive observer.

Btw Naobi seems like reference to ''Naobi no Kami'' > ''Naobi no kami (or Nahobi no kami) are deities in Shintoism. They are considered to be deities of purification and the removal of calamities.'' And from what got from this , our main character going to be some kinda of ''Demi-Angel'' or it's going to become part Angel/Law-aligned diety.

Sentinel

Arcane
And Doi's demons in SJ Redux were absolute shit. The only one that was ok was the water/ice demon.

Pardon me but Amon was a hell of sick design.

You need to rehost pics before linking them from wikis, wikis hate hotlinking.
zmPj8zj.jpg
Can you find the original Kaneko design of this demon from SMT If...? I remember something about Doi's Amon not being very different from Kaneko's.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom