Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Kaethar

Educated
Coming out after the Persona 5 fighting game gets a 9th gen re-release.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
This is way too long without any news or development. Probably in big dev hell.

Aren't they switching to Unreal Engine 4? Maybe that's why? Maybe they are having problem implementing RPG system there or something?

Garbage

Learned

Aren't they switching to Unreal Engine 4? Maybe that's why? Maybe they are having problem implementing RPG system there or something?

SMT V has been cancelled in order to focus resources into Tokyo Mirage Sessions and its sequel. Please understand.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

SMT V has been cancelled in order to focus resources into Tokyo Mirage Sessions and its sequel. Please understand.
dont forget the persona dancing games

SMT5 is NOT cancelled, confirmed:

https://www.thegamer.com/shin-megami-tensei-v-hasnt-been-cancelled-confirms-atlus/

The upcoming role-play video game for Nintendo Switch, Shin Megami Tensei V, has not been cancelled despite persistent rumors to the contrary

The upcoming role-play video game for Nintendo Switch, Shin Megami Tensei V, has not been cancelled despite persistent rumors to the contrary, their team confirmed. Although its release date is still not known, a Reddit user emailed Atlus, whose customer service rep replied that, "Any rumors about SMTV being cancelled are made up." Still, not a single hint about when the supposedly biggest RPG for Switch could drop.

First reported by VGCultureHQ, Reddit user u/Someguy12121 posted a screenshot of the supposed conversation with a representative of Atlus who confirms the game is "still being worked on." While this reply is enough to inspire new hope in already desperate fans, it still would be nice if the company would come forward with occasional tweets or blog posts to update the community on the game's progress. The team has been typically silent for ages now, not revealing anything more than "the team is still working hard," that there will be "no compromises" on making the game as good as possible, and that news would be shared "when the time is right."

grimace

Arcane
The New Shin Megami Tensei V trailer!

1HHdkvd.png

If you think this is bad you don't want to visit https://www.reddit.com/r/Megaten/

grimace

Arcane
http://archive.ph/ZNmHW
Famitsu and 4Gamer.net have gone up with their annual year-end articles, where over 100 game creators have shared messages, aspirations, and teasers for what is to come in 2020.
Shinjiro Takata said:
We will deliver more news on the long-awaited Shin Megami Tensei V, so please look forward to it.

Atlus: Katsura Hashino
“We’re challenging a new RPG at the studio we started several years ago. In my previous title Persona 5, I think we were able to deliver the fun of an Atlus RPG to users around the world, but what can we create if we commit our efforts to a fantasy RPG? I hope to be able to make an official announcement soon.”

What could this be about?

Terra

Cipher
It is curious just what exactly is taking them so long to put something together. Back in the PS2 era these guys were kings of knocking out lengthy, high quality games supported by judicious reuse of their demon models; and everybody was fine with that. They've already got a load of said models created from P5 so they should have something worthwhile to show by now, yet in the space of almost 2 console generations they've barely put anything out with home console production values.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Their DS/3DS output was pretty consistent too, which leads me to believe that they are just struggling a lot to adapt to the modern era of consoles and all the technical demands that come with it. I think Catherine was their only release for the PS3/360, which isn't great, and current gen only saw Persona 5. Catherine was also intended as a sort of tech demo to launch them into the modern era as they were intending on using its engine (Gamebryo) for P5 and future projects, but that never came to pass.

Atlus: Katsura Hashino
“We’re challenging a new RPG at the studio we started several years ago. In my previous title Persona 5, I think we were able to deliver the fun of an Atlus RPG to users around the world, but what can we create if we commit our efforts to a fantasy RPG? I hope to be able to make an official announcement soon.”

What could this be about?

Project Re Fantasy:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It is curious just what exactly is taking them so long to put something together. Back in the PS2 era these guys were kings of knocking out lengthy, high quality games supported by judicious reuse of their demon models; and everybody was fine with that. They've already got a load of said models created from P5 so they should have something worthwhile to show by now, yet in the space of almost 2 console generations they've barely put anything out with home console production values.

Probably the appeal of their game. Not counting Persona, SMT and ATLUS have been a big name in JRPG scene. They could make something and it will probably sells decently. But domestic/Japan game market is changing. Heavy dungeon crawler which is SMT certainly most famous of is slowly dying in Japan. These days ATLUS probably need to produce something that will get localized and do well in global scene as well. Persona as popular franchise also allows ATLUS to milk each entry for what its worth with several spin-offs for P4 and a lot coming for P5.

This is also why they shift their art starting from SMT IV. The classic SMT art is not really appealing to modern audience.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Last thing I read about this game a long time ago is that it was going to be very dark and modern. I had heard they were going to be taking on issues like the high unemployment in Japan and ensuing despair of some of the younger Japanese. I still have high hopes for this game. At the worst it'll be better than anything else they've made since Nocturne.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's going to be shit anyway.

Main concern is if they are going to put that 'power of friendship' Persona bullshit like it was done in Apocalypse but I'm sure that core experience will be great.

>Power of friendship
>Can murder everyone close to the end
>Can enslave one of your party members into becoming your cum dumpster
OK bud. There was zero Persona in Apocalypse.

>Power of friendship

1. In every previous main SMT gaems (I consider SJ main too), there was no 'happy ending' ending. OK, Nocturne gave the choice to restore world from before conception but you had to slay Isamu, Chiaki and Hikawa anyway. Every previous SMT just screamed despair. Peace ending is ubearable, very Persona'esque and existency of Anarchy ending will not change that.
2. Theme - there are really only two ideologies since Law/Chaos are just some bad early endings: 'Power ov Friendship' represents by buch of terrible animu freaks (if such asshole as Dagda seems to be less annoying that means something) vs 'Severe Da Bondz' by bunch of Hindu / Norse deities... that theme is Persona to the bone.
3. Mascot character (Ghost Navarre) - WTF, only acceptable dudes for that role are Jacks of all kind (especially Hee-Hoo), period. Teddy-like ones belongs to Persona and keep that shit out of my core SMT.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
>Power of friendship

1. In every previous main SMT gaems (I consider SJ main too), there was no 'happy ending' ending. OK, Nocturne gave the choice to restore world from before conception but you had to slay Isamu, Chiaki and Hikawa anyway. Every previous SMT just screamed despair. Peace ending is ubearable, very Persona'esque and existency of Anarchy ending will not change that.
2. Theme - there are really only two ideologies since Law/Chaos are just some bad early endings: 'Power ov Friendship' represents by buch of terrible animu freaks (if such asshole as Dagda seems to be less annoying that means something) vs 'Severe Da Bondz' by bunch of Hindu / Norse deities... that theme is Persona to the bone.
3. Mascot character (Ghost Navarre) - WTF, only acceptable dudes for that role are Jacks of all kind (especially Hee-Hoo), period. Teddy-like ones belongs to Persona and keep that shit out of my core SMT.

1. There are several happy endings in SMT games. It's just a matter of perspective. For me the Chaos + Neutral + TDE endings tend to be the best / happiest ones.
2. I think you're trying way too hard to shoehorn SMT4A into being Persona. It's supposed to be Neutral path: The Game, which is why the Chaos + Law endings are intentionally cut short and the main ending is either Light-Neutral (Bonds) or Dark-Neutral (Anarchy). I just don't see the Persona elements in having the choice to massacre your old crew, and it'd be a less impactful choice had the characters not been with you for a long period of time. Having friends certainly isn't a new concept to SMT either.
3. Never actually thought of Navarre as a mascot character, though I can see it now that you mention it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom