Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Silva

Arcane
Does the other area demons get more serious? At this point I'm anticipating a crybaby Thor whining that Loki ran away with his hammer or something.

Last edited:

dacencora

Does the other area demons get more serious? At this point I'm anticipating a crybaby Thor whining that Loki took his hammer or something.
I mean it sounds like you’re mostly talking about Agathion’s quest. Agathion has the “little boy” personality, just like Kodama. I can’t remember if Thor is the “tough guy” or the “powerful angelic servant” personality (like Principality)

dacencora

Gotta say that the exploration is a lot of fun so far. I keep not pursuing my main goal to go and look at all the cool side stuff, which was not the case in IV. Glad to see that I was wrong about the “random” encounters. I like this where you can see what demons are in what area, which is helpful for recruiting. Not sure I like it more than the step-based random encounters, but it’s certainly better than the blob randoms in IV.

Gastrick

Cipher
About childishness. Found from the wiki that the game Majin Tensei II: Spiral Nemesis has the most clear personality chart. It shows that in regular SMT, there are 7 age-types of demons and "Child" is just one of them, so child demons make up around a seventh and less than a fifth. SMT V is extra childish if those demons make up a large portion of the game world.

Sentinel

Arcane
Deity Odin: The chief deity of Norse myth. In addition to being a warrior and a sorcerer, he is a seeker of knowledge. With his magic spear Gungnir and his multiplying ring Draupnir in hand, he rushes in with his divine eight-legged horse Sleipnir.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Here in my thoughts after 60+ and just got to the 4th area.

Everything related to the gameplay , exploration , demon fusion ,etc , the gameplay loop is great. Probably the best of the series.

Sidequest really go up and down in terms of quality. You have cool shit like Dementer, Idun, Okuninushi's sidequests , etc are good stuff then you have shit like collect x to me..

The story while interesting , takes too long to get going and leave 90% of the worldbulding to the MiMan's or overworld demons dialogue. The characters for most part barely exist.

Dazai and Aogami are the most developed and have the most ''screetime'' , they're the only ones that you probably going to give a shit. Not super deep or amazing but compared to the rest, they're most well made.. And that's sad.
Yakumo's is a nice character and has good motivations but if you don't read every dialogue from the npcs in tokyo , you going to lose every bit of nuance he has..

Yuzuru has one motivatio with zero nuance , zero devemploment and zero screentime. Not even you joking , he has like 4 voiced scenes and ALL of them involve protecting tokyo and his sister. He's the same , doesn't do anything for entirely the game and his ''aligment'' choice is literaly a line or two. What they were THINKING when they made this dude..

Tao is
gone for literaly 90% of the game because she dies and then come back as Nahobino(?) Healing Godness
but again super boring ''SMT heroine'' , Nuwa and Miyazu don't fucking matter.

So far, i would say 8-9/10 if you care most about the gameplay but as whole expericing is more like 7/10. Probably the worst cast in SMT manline.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah Yuzuru just isn't there. And while I'd hope for something like a rewrite if they ever do a rerelease or upgrade, but it isn't going to happen since there are some voice actors that are definitely expensive to hire. I think the dog is Jouji Nakata.
I wonder if the Bethel branches splitting off was supposed to happen before the Lahmu events at one point of the script writing process. The fourth map doesn't really see particularly custom made for the gods, they are sort stuck to random areas there and you just collect random macguffins from them to get to the final dungeon. Other people with reasons worked out pretty well in Nocturne, but for some reason they couldn't do the other people becoming nahobinos story beat in this.

Puukko

Arcane
I didn't have to do it, but I wanted to see if I could beat Zeus with an 8 lvl difference on Hard. Took a while as he could delete even my strongest demon (Cleopatra) whom I had spent 20 incenses on, and through one stack of buffs and debuffs.

Desktop-Screenshot-2021-11-22-19-00-59-88.png

Silva

Arcane
What is to "seal" a demon? I found Aogami type-2 essence that gives "Makajama" or something that do that. But didnt use it yet because Im not sure what it does.

BTW, my team is all brute bros like Tsuchigumo and Take-Minakata, shouting in thick and testosterone-full vocal cords and macho words. Kindergarten is over kids. It's time to become men. :obviously:

(I'm starting to see some demons running away from me, is this intended or are they really scared of my crew? :lol:)

Last edited:

dacencora

What is to "seal" a demon? I found Aogami type-2 essence that gives "Makajama" or something that do that. But didnt use it yet because Im not sure what it does.
Seal is the same as something like Silence or Mute. Means you can't use any special abilities. Not sure about V, but I find stuff like that a little useless, as the only time I would use it is on a boss, and normally they're immune to stuff like that.

Puukko

Arcane
Seal is very useful and can be applied to most bosses and mini bosses. I just used it on Zeus; with lucky application, that's your only way of reliably avoiding his pierce. Besides dodging, of course.

dacencora

Seal is very useful and can be applied to most bosses and mini bosses. I just used it on Zeus; with lucky application, that's your only way of reliably avoiding his pierce. Besides dodging, of course.
Nice, glad to know I was wrong.

I like it better when the bosses have a chance to not get affected rather than full immunity. Keeps it more interesting throughout the battle.

dacencora

It also gives you more build choices. Would suck ass if you tried making an Ailment protagonist only for every boss to be immune to you.
Aren't most bosses post-Medusa immune to ailments in IV, or am I stupid?

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Aren't most bosses post-Medusa immune to ailments in IV, or am I stupid?
Yeah most bosses in IV were imune , but in this game bosses aren't imune to all ailments and some are even weak to , mainly those mini bosses or extra bosses. Yesterday Corrupted Land (that has chance of poison) worked on
Abdiel

Also some ailments have debuff on them, so even if they miss you can get something. IIRC The director of Entrian Odyssey worked here , so it make sense that ailments are better in this game, EO has pretty powerful ailments.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom