Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Readher

Savant
So many years of development only to reuse TMS UI, have PS3 graphics and the exact same gameplay systems as 20 years ago. And naturally everyone claps with their mouths open because it's okay when Japan does it (Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty bad and same every year though). I seriously can't stand this shit anymore. This looks like a 5-man indie project (see https://store.steampowered.com/app/269190/Edge_Of_Eternity/), not game made by a studio that has only 100 people less than Bethesda Game Studios. Why are Japs so incompetent?

lightbane

Arcane
The MC is really gay. Not only he walks around in an uniform with FLORAL PATTERNS!, he looks like he wanted to become a magical girl, but became stuck halfway. Is the one offering him power related to the Demi-Fiend?
He shouldn't be, but perhaps his design changed overtime. Or he's from an alternate timeline or whatever.
UI needs some work indeed, as well as the framerate.

Tigranes

Arcane
Well having just played Nocturne, most demon designs look exactly out of there, which I am fine with.

MC looks like they stuck a mop to their hair but whatever, Nocturne guy looked like a tryhard 13 year old + swimming trunks running around a post apocalyptic world, not exactly where the design effort went into.

UI is trash, but dear god one day this fascination with generic plastic UI will be over

Maxie

doomguy: Schwarzwelt is threatening the existence of humanity, it's our duty to destroy it ps. fuck mastema
smt5 guy: owo where am i :3

SJ_Protagonist_render.png

Tigranes

Arcane
Is there other gameplay info besides the footage? Because all the footage seems to tell us is "this is SMT"?

Everything looks Nocturne to me, but probably because I haven't played the others.

Nathir

Liturgist
Omfg why is Doi such a hack? That cover art is terrible. And if bottom right is supposed to be Isis then Atlus should just get nuked, because Kanekos Isis is perfection.

Other than that, the game looks terrible.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Is there other gameplay info besides the footage? Because all the footage seems to tell us is "this is SMT"?

Everything looks Nocturne to me, but probably because I haven't played the others.

There's a few things that i got from the Gameplay:

> 4 Apocalypse's Affinities are back, aka Ice demon use Ice magic better (stronger , less mp cost , etc) than Fire demon and vice-verse. Same apply to Buff/Debuff, Almighty skills , Ailemnts, etc.

> SMT 1 , 2, If , Nocturne , etc Moon Phase mechanic is back

> Magatushi from Nocturne seems to be back and seems to work as a Limit Break mechanic. Your MC has power that needs to use Magatushi as resource

> No Random Encounters, instead it goes for the SMT4 and 4A of in world enemies , but now full render instead of hologram.

> If MC dies , it's Game over , like Nocturne or Vanilla strange journey.

> There's no Gun , only Physical this time around, also Physicial sadly costs MP instead of HP to use (RIP Physical demons). Fire , Ice, Wind , Eletric , Light and Dark are back too. There's a ''Miracle'' tab when you level up , no clue that means. Maybe it's the way to get new skills similar to Nocturne's Magatama.

> Vitality is back. Oh Guard is also back from SMT 1 , 2 , IF and Strange Journey.

The rest is typical SMT stuff.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Omfg why is Doi such a hack? That cover art is terrible. And if bottom right is supposed to be Isis then Atlus should just get nuked, because Kanekos Isis is perfection.

Other than that, the game looks terrible.

To me it seems that Doi basically tries to combine old Kaneko, tokusatsu and animu in most of his designs.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
There's a few things that i got from the Gameplay:

Looking through it at x2 speed some more stuff:
Demons now hanging around as rendered NPCs in the area and can be talked to (maybe give sidequests?). This was already in Nocturne, but there were also many enemies which just used a generic red sprite. In SMT IV NPCs were mostly just sprites behind doors.

Demons can open the battle with a negotiation if you open the fight with a first hit.

On the overworld there are a lot of small things to collect, like fruit next to trees which heal you, and vending machines which drop healing consumables.

Very high level enemies are hanging around in the overworld, they battle a lvl 48 guy in a lvl 8 area. An NPC warned the new MC that he will wiped out if he attacks the golem if spoken to.

Status conditions seem to have a very high success rate. The level 8 slime succeeded on his first poison spell against the level 48 golem who was weak against the condition. Maybe weakness against conditions gives 100% success rate? That suggestion was floating around in the net for a while to make conditions stronger in SMT.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Demons can open the battle with a negotiation if you open the fight with a first hit.

This is something from Nocturne. Sometimes a enemy would just approach you out nowhere.

Status conditions seem to have a very high success rate. The level 8 slime succeeded on his first poison spell against the level 48 golem who was weak against the condition. Maybe weakness against conditions gives 100% success rate? That suggestion was floating around in the net for a while to make conditions stronger in SMT.

IIRC A lot of SMT have this hidden mechanic that basicily a second chart of Resistances but instead of elements it's to ailments for each demon. Some demons are strong , imune or weak to certain ailments. Maybe that Level 48 Golem had a weakness to poison ailments and that's why he got affected. It's never explained or shown but exists, for example that Troll boss from Nocturne has a huge weakness to Charm..

lightbane

Arcane
Buffmaister periodically uploads videos of SMTV. Unfortunately, the ones playing it are complete retards. But it's the closest thing to a demo we have for now:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom