Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Tbh combat becomes trivially easy in IV once you can fuse Dantalion for the spammable reflects so the protagonist build isn't that important. And anything after Medusa isn't really challenging to begin with. I think only the Seraph boss made me strategize a bit since it's only almighty worked on it or something.

dacencora

Tbh combat becomes trivially easy in IV once you can fuse Dantalion for the spammable reflects so the protagonist build isn't that important. And anything after Medusa isn't really challenging to begin with. I think only the Seraph boss made me strategize a bit since it's only almighty worked on it or something.
Girimekhala reflects Phys and Gun attacks as well, which makes many fights pretty easy.

I never thought I would say this... but the more I play the more I want to play Persona 5 again. Don't know why.
Thank you anon! You are a good anon! It is dearth of story wifes anon! It is! Give me Onahole wife! Give me Tao wife! Give me Sophia wife! Give me Sahori wife! Do not worry anon it is okay anon because Khonsu anon is based redpilled other wife scholar anon anon so he can keep female Joker wife anon! He can! I do need Extra Wifes Maniax Edition anon! I do! You are a good anon!

Vorark

Erudite
Finished the game, took me 98 hours. Hard mode, did every single sidequest available, no DLCs.

Enjoyed my time very much. I'm unable to draw a proper gameplay comparison to Nocturne and SJ considering I last played both a decade ago but the battle system didn't deviate too much from back then. Press turn manipulation never gets old.

- Main character was built as a STR/VIT physical attacker, later focusing in Almighty damage. Murakumo + Crit Zealot + Crit Aura appears to be this game's rendition of SMT3 Freikugel + Focus, with the benefit of never missing. Crit Zealot itself is impressive, noticed it lowered normal damage by around 10% and boosted criticals to 30~40%, which was corroborated by other players findings. Add Almighty pleromas, buffs and debuffs and you're in for fun times and big numbers.

- I didn't warm up much to the affinity system in the end, although it's understandable why it was put in place after the Debilitate/Victory Cry spam in Nocturne. I sorely missed being able to put a bunch of skills into whatever mon I saw fit and be done with it. As it is, there's no way around the system either because MP costs are huge and the game is stingy with MP items, so specialization is mandatory instead of an added bonus. As a consequence, skills that combine two or more effects are more valuable than ever due to MP economy, like those uniques that mix Luster Candy (buff all stats by 1 rank) + healing. No wonder people were saying Idun was broken.

- Exploration was okay, always something to find in every nook and crane. You have to be in a platforming mood to get the most out of it though, which is not always the case. I left a bunch of items and mimans behind in the third area for example, since I was fed up with that map. Tiny corridors + greyscale + repetitive music = no. Out of all maps, the 1st and 4th (the one after the castle) were the best: relatively open and easier to "read". Dungeons, if you can even call them that, were forgettable.

- Difficulty was alright except for serpent lady in the beginning (lacked decent fire mons at the time) and the bizarre spike in the 4th area, got there at level 55 and was smacked around until getting a couple of levels in, then it was back to smooth sailing. Wanted to fight the secret boss but I hate grinding so it was a pass. Maybe I'll go back to an early save, load up those cheat mitama dlc and power level to 99 to face him off.

- Demon negotiation had fun exchanges. It was also a nice touch to have demons talking to each other too, like Loki pissing a Valkyrie off or Mara and Girimekhala's... relationship. :lol:

- Opening act was pretty good and had the perfect "dystopic demon overriden world" atmosphere going for it, only for that dumb plot twist to happen. Oh god, why? I would be fine with MC slowly unearthing the truth about Nahobinos, the relevance of the Throne, the old gods and the Creator shenanigans instead of getting discount Devil Survivor. Pacing was terrible too, long stretches of nothingness followed by giant lore dumps.

- I cannot get over the MC design, why he had to look like some fruity magical ice skater? Goddamnit, Doi. At least the demons make fun of his hair.

The short of it is that SMT V has good gameplay (and music) yet everything else is either undercooked or flawed.

Vorark

Erudite
yolo.jpg

:philosoraptor:

Is there any Codexer who manage to defeat Shiva or Demi-Fiend with magic build? Seriously, those bosses made mag even shittier, with +150 in magic my MC cannot do any serious damage, I've tried Divine Arrowfall + Almighty Pieroma and and it's pathetic comparing to Critical Zealot + Impaler Animus + High Psych Pieroma + Figment Slash of my 99 lvl Yoshitsune. Any ideas how to do pure fucking damage with magic?

dacencora

Yoshitsune is the most OP demon I've fused so far. One of the demons I fused him from had Resist Dark, so he has no weaknesses at all. He also has Taunt which has basically trivialized every single encounter lol. He can survive pretty much any hit and having all the attention on him makes it so that my other 'mons can wreck shop.

EvilWolf

Learned
Is there any Codexer who manage to defeat Shiva or Demi-Fiend with magic build? Seriously, those bosses made mag even shittier, with +150 in magic my MC cannot do any serious damage, I've tried Divine Arrowfall + Almighty Pieroma and and it's pathetic comparing to Critical Zealot + Impaler Animus + High Psych Pieroma + Figment Slash of my 99 lvl Yoshitsune. Any ideas how to do pure fucking damage with magic?
Swap divine for megidalaon (sp?). Divine is only medium or high I think, the mp use increase is inconsequential late game. Also, the multi target isnt as useful late game. For DF you want to essence absorb/reflect physical onto the demons you're going to be using, this will IMMEDIATELY end DF's turn no matter how manu press turns he has.

LJ40

Cipher
Maybe one of the single target elemental pierce spells plus both pleromas?

EvilWolf

Learned
Any ideas how to do pure fucking damage with magic?
You don't. Magic is for getting press turns reliably but that's about it. You go physical for damage or you do other builds for challenge/because you want to try something gimmicky.
I was actually amazed at the number of stength based almighty/elemental moves late game. Things really weigh heavy towards STR. True to Nocturne I guess.

Maybe one of the single target elemental pierce spells plus both pleromas?

Propably only option that's left.

Oh, and guyz if you dropped skill from Aogami Essence you can obtain them once again - just take navigator demon to Odaiba (hidden, optional location where you fight Khonsu), I've never found Aogami in any other area and I thought they're lost until NG+ but in Odaiba, there were already two after just few minutes of exploration.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
5 hours in so far. The hydra boss fight took me like 4 tries to beat, but aside from that it’s been smooth sailing. Never played any of the mainline SMT games before but I have lots of experience with P4/5 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions. As of right now I’d say I like this better than the latter two but maybe not as much as P4.

Also, this made me laugh:

1CE43C6D-D3AB-451A-9E8C-826F25EC9615.jpeg

Vorark

Erudite
Beat Shiva.

Wasn't aware I had enough gospels to level MC to 95 and grimoires/overworld demon spots to level the party to mid~high 90s, no need to grind. The fight was doable at this level (Hard mode) but it took me almost 30 minutes and I spent all my MP items, including Somas. Shiva is a hard hitting sponge.

Didn't bother fusing new mons, just went with whatever I had + essence infusions. The main party was str/vit MC (damage), "mysterious character" (healing), Beelzebub (Debilitate) and Amon (emergency Debilitate/Luster Candy caster + items). The idea was to keep the "Light of Order > Debilitate > Crit Aura + Murakumo" loop going. Idun with her Golden Apple skill probably works too.

If I had to give a tip, it is to teach Enduring Soul, Greater Mana Spring and Greater Life Spring to your mainstays and keep backups with Mediarahan, Luster Candy and Debilitate ready to go. MC with Amon resistance infusion covers the relevant weaknesses.

All said and done, the whole affair was underwhelming. Thought there would be more to Shiva, some sort of relevance to the story (besides being a requirement for that shitty ending) but no, he's just... there. I expected something a bit more involved, similar to TDE in Nocturne. :|

Last edited:

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
I liked the game a lot but some of the bosses and the final dungeon in general are very underwhelming. I started the game feeling it was a :5/5: but in the end is a:3/5:. I'm kinda annoyed at Atlus they dissapointed me twice in the year. First Persona 5 and then this. Still a good game on its own and much better than P5, i guess my expectations were just too high.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom