Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shiren the Wanderer (PS Vita) 80% discount.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I recently discover this series being very addicted to RL games lately. I was playing these days DS version on emulator, wanting to play in my Vita, but was too expensive for me at 40 euro. And today just the miracle happened. 8 euro is a steal for this.

https://store.playstation.com/es-es/product/EP1024-PCSB00989_00-SHIREN5PLUS000EU

Roguelike and JRPG turn based fans with a Vita. Get this ASAP. It's a pretty hardcore RL, don't get fooled by the aesthetics.

26772351746_45c5a9f0cc_b.jpg

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yes. Great dungeon crawling experience.

- Very good strategic resource management. With good loot in the form of utility items, absolutely necessary to beat tough encounters in creative ways, not only with brute force.

- Creative and varied enemy mechanics. Advanced enemies not only do more damage and have more HP. They steal items, change items in your inventory, teleport you, crowd control you, they can level up other enemies and make them insanely dangerous!!, etc. Great stuff guys.

- Easy to get into but very deep and varied mechanics.

- Different dungeon gimmicks.

- Organic quests helping NPCs to get their aid or rewards.

I feel like a lot of people here woud like this series if they try.

Remember you can play the first game remake on DS emulator. And the original translated to english in a SNES emulator.

Tigranes

Arcane
I recently got a hold of a DS Shiren cartridge. The first 'trip' to the next city was a walk in the park, spamming attack button to demolish everything - is it like an extended tutorial and the real difficulty comes in soon?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I recently got a hold of a DS Shiren cartridge. The first 'trip' to the next city was a walk in the park, spamming attack button to demolish everything - is it like an extended tutorial and the real difficulty comes in soon?

Yes, Difficulty comes soon. First area is easy and short.

I have beaten DCSS, brogue and Infra arcana, and I can say that the DS shiren game is at least harder than DCSS. Vita shiren is more forgiving, but I have read it gets tough soon.

After the first area some encounters can't be dealt by attacking even if you have great equipment because of enemy unique mechanics. It's similar to brogue in this regard. You need to make good use of your different items to survive.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is this a remake/port of the snes game?

No, what Siveon said.

I add that the game seems to have a lot more content than the SNES/DS game. The game in the main quest is a little more rogue-lite because is easy to find an item that lets you keep your equipment between runs if you die, although you start from level 1 and the beginning, of course . It has a lengthier postgame than the main quest, with big dungeons where you can't keep your equipment if you die, like a pure roguelike.

Amurada

Educated
need to know if this new entry. is worth playing. I've heard worrying reports that the vita version is much easier than previous entries from a buddy of mine. is this true and/or alleviated in the new entries on switch/pc? I definitely prefer the sprite art in this recent release, but if its dumbed down, I'm more than willing to track a romhack of the snes version.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
need to know if this new entry. is worth playing. I've heard worrying reports that the vita version is much easier than previous entries from a buddy of mine. is this true and/or alleviated in the new entries on switch/pc? I definitely prefer the sprite art in this recent release, but if its dumbed down, I'm more than willing to track a romhack of the snes version.

For me the main problem of the vita game is how much you depend on metaprogression/grind to beat the main dungeon (the story one); It isn't a real roguelike. You need to upgrade a sword and shield multiple times between runs to beat the latter parts in the walkkthrough.

I was very advanced in the walkthrough after a lot of runswith good and very upgraded sword and shield. And forgot once to bring the item that let's you escape with your equipment when you die or insure them, don't remember exactly. So I lost all that progression and quit the game. You unlock shortcuts to latter parts of the walkthrough, but without the upgraded gear you can't do anything. I would prefer no shortcuts and be able to finish the dungeon in one run when I'm skilled enough at the game.

The game also becomes an item management hell between runs with all the stuff you keep when you come back to the town, tons of pots with items inside,etc. When you progress a lot it would be possible to enter with a lot of OP shit you farmed and got out of the dungeon to steamroll the end of the campaign. Again not a very RL thing.

I'm also not a fan of the day/night system. Nights are very cheap and frustrating.

The game looks amazing and overall is classic good old Shiren gameplay, if you don't mind the metaprogression/grind problem for the main dungeon. I think overall if you prefer like me pure RL without needing to grind you will like more the SNES/DS games.

There are other real RL dungeons that they don't let you enter them with items in them, but to unlock some of them you need to beat the story one.

I think the metaprogression in RLs should be player skill. A blank slate each time you enter the dungeon, and with the knowledge,skill and luck, you can beat it without anything else. I think they did this to artificially extend main story dungeon length harming a lot an otherwise interesting game.

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Completed this weekend a Shiren 1 (DS version) main campaign fresh run, and the kitchen dungeon.

What a wonderful and elegant game. The synergies in the items and enemies are among the best I have ever experienced.

I think Shiren 5 introduced to much bloat in items and enemies, and the main campaign is designed and balanced around bringing items and upgrading your weapons, so I prefer Shiren 1.

It's amazing how beautiful designed is Shiren 1. I'm gonna try another games to not burn out, and come back to try to beat Fey's final puzzle, Shiren 1 definitive and epic pure roguelike dungeon.

7h30n

Augur
I bought Shiren 5 the other day on Switch... and I'm quite impressed so far, much better than expected. The game is indeed essentially Rogue 2.0, even some old gameplay designs are present. For example, you can only see 1 square ahead in corridors, while upon entering a room you see it whole. Also, the layouts follow similar design to old Rogue with rooms being distinct from corridors and somewhat evenly spaced out. Original Rogue (if I remember correctly) typically had 3x3 rooms interconnected with mostly straight (or with 90 degree corner) corridors, and so far levels feel like that (unlike e.g. Brogue or Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup). There's a lot of item interactions which I definitely did not expect in a modern graphical roguelike, so all in all I definitely recommend this game!

I wonder if it will beat out Brogue for my favourite roguelike.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I bought Shiren 5 the other day on Switch... and I'm quite impressed so far, much better than expected. The game is indeed essentially Rogue 2.0, even some old gameplay designs are present. For example, you can only see 1 square ahead in corridors, while upon entering a room you see it whole. Also, the layouts follow similar design to old Rogue with rooms being distinct from corridors and somewhat evenly spaced out. Original Rogue (if I remember correctly) typically had 3x3 rooms interconnected with mostly straight (or with 90 degree corner) corridors, and so far levels feel like that (unlike e.g. Brogue or Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup). There's a lot of item interactions which I definitely did not expect in a modern graphical roguelike, so all in all I definitely recommend this game!

I wonder if it will beat out Brogue for my favourite roguelike.

In Shiren 5 the real game is the epic post dungeon "Primordial Chasm", like Fey's final puzzle was in Shiren 1. Fresh start with no items and levels into the dungeon, no allies, better but unidentified items and more challenging.

Last edited:

hackncrazy

Savant

For me the main problem of the vita game is how much you depend on metaprogression/grind to beat the main dungeon (the story one); It isn't a real roguelike. You need to upgrade a sword and shield multiple times between runs to beat the latter parts in the walkkthrough.

I was very advanced in the walkthrough after a lot of runswith good and very upgraded sword and shield. And forgot once to bring the item that let's you escape with your equipment when you die or insure them, don't remember exactly. So I lost all that progression and quit the game. You unlock shortcuts to latter parts of the walkthrough, but without the upgraded gear you can't do anything. I would prefer no shortcuts and be able to finish the dungeon in one run when I'm skilled enough at the game.

The game also becomes an item management hell between runs with all the stuff you keep when you come back to the town, tons of pots with items inside,etc. When you progress a lot it would be possible to enter with a lot of OP shit you farmed and got out of the dungeon to steamroll the end of the campaign. Again not a very RL thing.

I'm also not a fan of the day/night system. Nights are very cheap and frustrating.

The game looks amazing and overall is classic good old Shiren gameplay, if you don't mind the metaprogression/grind problem for the main dungeon. I think overall if you prefer like me pure RL without needing to grind you will like more the SNES/DS games.

There are other real RL dungeons that they don't let you enter them with items in them, but to unlock some of them you need to beat the story one.

I think the metaprogression in RLs should be player skill. A blank slate each time you enter the dungeon, and with the knowledge,skill and luck, you can beat it without anything else. I think they did this to artificially extend main story dungeon length harming a lot an otherwise interesting game.

Your post pretty much sums up how I feel about the game.

I love the aesthetics, love the mechanics. But for me, metaprogression in roguelikes/roguelites is a cancer and this version of Shiren is extremely guilty of relying too much on it.

Like you said, the story dungeon is completely unbeatable if you don't have very upgraded gear. And the only way to get this is using the metaprogression mechanics, which kills the game for me.

I was really excited to keep playing it because it seems that there are great dungeons later on in the game. But what it costs to get there makes it unworthy for me.

Gonna try the SNES/DS versions instead.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I love the aesthetics, love the mechanics. But for me, metaprogression in roguelikes/roguelites is a cancer and this version of Shiren is extremely guilty of relying too much on it.

Like you said, the story dungeon is completely unbeatable if you don't have very upgraded gear. And the only way to get this is using the metaprogression mechanics, which kills the game for me.

I was really excited to keep playing it because it seems that there are great dungeons later on in the game. But what it costs to get there makes it unworthy for me.

I recommend the DS version. From my research is the best balanced. Main campaign is a little easier than SNES, but the post game harder in a good way. Also some good interface improvements.

With Desmume emulator is a great interface upgrade to have the map in one screen while you play in the other. Much better than the map overlay in the SNES version, or having to stop to enter the menu to check the map.

Main campaign perfectly beatable from fresh start, because enemies while having dangerous skills and synergies, don't have the bloated damage numbers from Shiren 5 last floors in main campaign. The knowledge and skill upgrade is your progression between runs; as should be.

I recommend you to do the Kitchen God dungeon when you beat the campaign. It's very fun to get monster corpses and become one of those assholes to beat them. Last floor I was stomping everyone as a Death Angel moving hasted through walls wtihout nobody being able to hit me, very cheap and fun. Also becoming a tank and blasting High HP and nasty endgame enemies from afar is hilarious.

The ultimate goal is to beat Fey's Final Puzzle which promise to be a memorable roguelike experience.

hackncrazy

Savant

I recommend the DS version. From my research is the best balanced. Main campaign is a little easier than SNES, but the post game harder in a good way. Also some good interface improvements.

With Desmume emulator is a great interface upgrade to have the map in one screen while you play in the other. Much better than the map overlay in the SNES version, or having to stop to enter the menu to check the map.

Main campaign perfectly beatable from fresh start, because enemies while having dangerous skills and synergies, don't have the bloated damage numbers from Shiren 5 last floors in main campaign. The knowledge and skill upgrade is your progression between runs; as should be.

I recommend you to do the Kitchen God dungeon when you beat the campaign. It's very fun to get monster corpses and become one of those assholes to beat them. Last floor I was stomping everyone as a Death Angel moving hasted through walls wtihout nobody being able to hit me, very cheap and fun. Also becoming a tank and blasting High HP and nasty endgame enemies from afar is hilarious.

The ultimate goal is to beat Fey's Final Puzzle which promise to be a memorable roguelike experience.

Well, thanks a lot for the recommendation. I have Desmume on my phone, bought it ages ago and never used it. Already tested Shiren DS here and works like a charm, I'll give it a good try.

Also, since you've mentioned this Kitchen God dungeon, do you know how many post game dungeons there is in this version?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Well, thanks a lot for the recommendation. I have Desmume on my phone, bought it ages ago and never used it. Already tested Shiren DS here and works like a charm, I'll give it a good try.

Also, since you've mentioned this Kitchen God dungeon, do you know how many post game dungeons there is in this version?

5 post game dungeons.

Here you have all the info you would need about the game. Quests, dungeons, enemies,etc.

https://mysterydungeonwiki.com/wiki/Shiren_1_DS:Mystery_Dungeon:_Shiren_the_Wanderer

For the main campaign you don't need anything though. It will be useful to unlock some postgame content, and gain more knowledge about enemies in harder dungeons

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey guys. Playing on PC.

What. A. Game. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom