Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shitty FPS Nostalgia Thread

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Could not find specific thread, do not want post this rant it in "What game are you wasting time on?" and Rampage is too shitty to mention it in "Lost and forgotten" thread.

So, I'm playing Rampage and already on level 19 (from around 25, I think). This game loses its drive very fast. Dull level after level with uninspired enemies. Ammo is plentiful after third or fourth level and its quantity don't have any cap. I have 2800 rounds and 800 shells now, for example. Plus, after assembling plasma gun, you will get very powerful weapon with unlimited ammo.
Dullness sometimes diluted by cool level like Arboretum or Cafeteria, but then it's storage area - storage area- production -storage area again. I like music, though. Repetitive, but atmospheric.
Most of levels are "wade through the throng after throng of 2-3 types of enemies", "collect access card" and, for first 12 levels, "find plasma cannon parts".
And then, after almost hallucinating that I'm in the Arena (they use same engine, BTW), I got it. Rampage could be done as game with random generated maps! Probably they were randomly generated! What it was? Trying to milk Terminator franchise and popularity of FPSes or people who worked on Rampage worked on Arena as well?
Quick comparison of Wikipedia articles brought two recurrent names. Composer - Eric Heberling - and Vijay Lakshman.
"Peterson, Lakshman and Julian LeFay were those who, in Peterson's opinion, "really spear-headed the initial development of the series." (from Arena article).
Any thoughts? I think I almost caught glimpses of some sort of Absolute Truth, but maybe it just my weary mind.

BTW, some areas are unavailable due to map errors. I'm playing 1.0, though.
Sound setup (install.exe) from 1.0 is broken and freezes. install.exe from 1.1 works fine.

Finished both Futureshock and SkyNet. Much better and have awesomesauce moments. Do you know that you can find almost all weapons in secret stash on third level of FS?
Pretty sandboxy as well.

Fuck, let's remember old shitty FPSes. Lethal Tender anyone?

EDIT: Also AI. More exactly its absence. I think only Infiltrators can open doors and they are not present on later levels.
Hm, I remember that Arena was intended as that gladiator troupe simulator.

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I played an FPS adaptation of Tek War, those horrible sci-fi novels by William Shatner. The game is terrible, but I remember being really impressed by it at the time though because 3D games were still new to me then and it seemed like you could explore a whole city even though it was probably only an average sized level.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've never finished Terminator Rampage, even when I was younger and stubborn. After finishing Doom and Wolf 3d it felt too repetitive and dull. Hell, even Corridor 7 was more interesting.

As for something to add on the list - Dracula by Psygnosis. Such good developer and so horrible game. Just try to watch this gameplay.

So sleepy right now.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I've never finished Terminator Rampage, even when I was younger and stubborn. After finishing Doom and Wolf 3d it felt too repetitive and dull. Hell, even Corridor 7 was more interesting.

As for something to add on the list - Dracula by Psygnosis. Such good developer and so horrible game. Just try to watch this gameplay.

So sleepy right now.

The sound effects are p. amazing

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I finished it. Not so bad, really. Pretty good mazes and that coffin mechanic constantly kept you on the edge. You've needed to search every nook and cranny for dust for destroying coffins that constantly spewed forth hordes of enemies. Only initially it was not enough dust and too many coffins, so you've need to be creative.

Last edited:
I finished it.

Would double brofist for the effort.

Jurassic Park from 93 was mostly isometric shooter, but later part was an FPS. A very bad one, where it's better to avoid the raptor enemies than shoot them.

Another example - Ilse of the Dead. Jungle made in a quasi-Wolf 3d engine ? Bad idead. It was bloody (duh) for it's time and the death animations were funny.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Dungeons of Kremlin.
One of the worst FPS that I have seen.

Gore Galore 3D, Lethal Tender, Teminal Terror, etc.
Games made in some sort of FPSMaker.

Alien Cabal
alien-cabal-Hives.jpg

Finished it. Very playable.

Nitemare-3D
DOSBox%202014-09-30%2016-43-37-08.png

Ditto, has strange charm.

Immoral Cumbat
Oh God, it's heaven!
ImmoralCumbat4.png

Hades 2 had Keanu Reeves from the Matrix as the co-op buddy, and the player character sound like a gorilla when he is shot. Varginha Incident has nice open world feeling and music. Also, aliens speaking portugal language. :lol:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Terminator: Future Shock from a few years later was pretty awesome (or I remember liking it as a kid, anyway).

It was buggy as shit (enough that I remember its bugs all these years later...typical Bethesda "fall through the floor" type stuff, mostly), but it had better graphics (kind of a psuedo 3D, ala the build engine), more varied missions, and, the best part, you could drive vehicles and fly those futuristic jet plane things.

It also had LAN multiplayer. My friends and I had a great time playing multiplayer, just because it was the first deathmatch game I ever remember playing where you could drive/fly vehicles. It was pretty awesome (if your vehicle was destroyed while you were in it I think you died, but you could easily bail out and switch to another).

Last edited:

:Flash:

Arcane
This makes me remember Soft Enterprises, a German company that tried to be successful in the FPS market at a time when Germany was mostly known for economic simulation.
They released their first FPS, The Hidden Below, not too long after Wolfenstein 3D:

Unsurprisingly, it was not a success.
Then released a Christmas themed game called XMas Carnage, where you play the Easter Bunny who hates Christmas and therefore goes on a killing spree.

After having released some other games in order to make some money, they returned to their dream of making an FPS that would be an international success, and released Skout. This was about the time Half Life and Unreal came out, so they invented the gimmick of having a scout drone as a companion. The engine was quite competent for its time, but the title is so forgotten today that I couldn't even find a video on Youtube, so here are some Mobygames screenshots:
556961-skout-windows-screenshot-imposing-tower-in-an-outdoors-setting.jpg

The were very proud of their engine being able to handle coloured lighing:
556963-skout-windows-screenshot-coloured-lightning-inside-a-cargo.jpg

Ironically, this company that always wanted to create the first German FPS success had its only modest success with the 2D shooter Project Paradise.

Love

Cipher
Finished both Futureshock and SkyNet. Much better and have awesomesauce moments. Do you know that you can find almost all weapons in secret stash on third level of FS?
Pretty sandboxy as well.

I like to drop that title every so often, because it feels like a totally forgotten and overlooked milestone of games in a still early phase. To me it's like with System Shock, because I look at those games and it not only makes me glow, that something like that was achieved so long ago already, but I'm also sad nobody improved and moved on from it. It's those games that point out the decline the most.

After having released some other games in order to make some money, they returned to their dream of making an FPS that would be an international success, and released Skout. This was about the time Half Life and Unreal came out, so they invented the gimmick of having a scout drone as a companion. The engine was quite competent for its time, but the title is so forgotten today that I couldn't even find a video on Youtube, so here are some Mobygames screenshots:
556961-skout-windows-screenshot-imposing-tower-in-an-outdoors-setting.jpg

The were very proud of their engine being able to handle coloured lighing:
556963-skout-windows-screenshot-coloured-lightning-inside-a-cargo.jpg

Ironically, this company that always wanted to create the first German FPS success had its only modest success with the 2D shooter Project Paradise.

This doesn't look too bad. Is it any good?

:Flash:

Arcane
Pretty sandboxy as well.

I like to drop that title every so often, because it feels like a totally forgotten and overlooked milestone of games in a still early phase. To me it's like with System Shock, because I look at those games and it not only makes me glow, that something like that was achieved so long ago already, but I'm also sad nobody improved and moved on from it. It's those games that point out the decline the most.

This doesn't look too bad. Is it any good?
I don't know I have never played it. From what I've read the engine was quite competent for its time (especially for being a one-man operation). The game itself was considered mediocre at best, especially compared to Unreal and Half-Life, which were coming out at the time. Considering that the game was created by a handful of people it isn't really surprising that they couldn't compete.

Amiga dudes had inferiority complex for PC gamers because of Doom and tried to recreate it but almost of these one-dimensional Wolf3d-like fpp shooter were utter shit: Monster, Za Żelazną Bramą, Testament, Fears, Nemac IV, Breathless etc. the only ones I somehow enjoyed were Genetic Species, Gloom Deluxe and Alien Breed: Killing Grounds but they're not too good either.

Fears-2.png

To the thread: I consider Future Shock best Bethseda gaem. The same with Bioware and MDK2.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I agree that Future Shock/Skynet were really good.
If only they weren't so fucking buggy...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I agree that Future Shock/Skynet were really good.
If only they weren't so fucking buggy...
Hanging every half an hour was OK, but my version of Skynet always freezed in particular place - narrow canyon - of first level. Found a working version several years later.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Last levels of Rampage are fucking chore. Got a massive Arena vibe from them, to the point of almost searching for "Remove Wall" spell.
Damn this MetaNode, it looks invincible even with plasma rifle. It just covers itself with blue shield and shreds me. Fruitlessly tried to destroy computers, searched for other strange scenery and equipped the ring. I need more sleep.

A horse of course

Alien Breed scared the shit out of me as a kid

Kwota

Augur
Shitty FPS games huh, anybody else played this "gem"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom