Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime avatars in my Codex?

Should the Codex have anime avatars?

• Yes, they are the key to understanding RPG Codex

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, get that shit back to GameFAQs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Needs more Connie Chung

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Excommunicator said:
Whether Rance is an RPG - or even a good game - or not, is completely irrelevant.

The moment you take the artwork out of the game and put them on a website you lose all connection to the game. Now it is anime artwork - nothing more, nothing less.

You need to look at the avatars in isolation of what they are. There is no game connected to them. You cannot click on them and play Rance. They are artwork.

And they are judged solely by that fact. Now tell me if you like them.

You have it completely upside-down. Like I said, we have avatars of games with the Codex' approval, not because we like the avatars themselves but because the games are good. Again, I have to mention that there are plenty of avatars here that many can find butt-ugly, and yet are considered classic games. Look at all the shitty Vaultboy and Fallout Wireframe avatars - shit, I'd rather have everybody using Rance avatars than those samey, eyesore-inducing ones. Then look at the Space Empires ones, they look like something Prosper put together in an hour. Star Control 2, Geneforge, Psychonauts, Battle for Wesnoth, Freedom Force and others look so mediocre that nobody would consider using them as their avatar. Fuck, Battle for Wesnoth itself is even anime-inspired.

And you're also wrong about there not being a game connected to them. No, they're on this site to begin with because there is a game associated with them, a game that many people would recommend playing. If you want avatars in a vacuum that you happen to like looking at, then convince DU to upload a picture of someone's cock (just donate a few $$$, because the Rancefags did the same thing, amirite?) and you're all set.

And before you think I'm taking some kind of moral high ground here, just know that I didn't donate for these avatars, I would have been ok with DU's decision to add them or not one way or the other, and I'm not a big fan of anime either. Another thing I'm not a big fan of is dumbfucks like yourself trying to rationalise why avatars shouldn't be here because he doesn't like them. Adblock them, FFS. Again, I'm going to mention Jaesun, who was against them to begin with, did what he could to stop them, and in the end just Adblocked them like a bro instead of bitching like a butthurt little whiner like yourself.

R00fles!

Kz3r0

Arcane
Reject_666_6 said:
Excommunicator said:
Whether Rance is an RPG - or even a good game - or not, is completely irrelevant.

The moment you take the artwork out of the game and put them on a website you lose all connection to the game. Now it is anime artwork - nothing more, nothing less.

You need to look at the avatars in isolation of what they are. There is no game connected to them. You cannot click on them and play Rance. They are artwork.

And they are judged solely by that fact. Now tell me if you like them.

You have it completely upside-down. Like I said, we have avatars of games with the Codex' approval, not because we like the avatars themselves but because the games are good. Again, I have to mention that there are plenty of avatars here that many can find butt-ugly, and yet are considered classic games. Look at all the shitty Vaultboy and Fallout Wireframe avatars - shit, I'd rather have everybody using Rance avatars than those samey, eyesore-inducing ones. Then look at the Space Empires ones, they look like something Prosper put together in an hour. Star Control 2, Geneforge, Psychonauts, Battle for Wesnoth, Freedom Force and others look so mediocre that nobody would consider using them as their avatar. Fuck, Battle for Wesnoth itself is even anime-inspired.

And you're also wrong about there not being a game connected to them. No, they're on this site to begin with because there is a game associated with them, a game that many people would recommend playing. If you want avatars in a vacuum that you happen to like looking at, then convince DU to upload a picture of someone's cock (just donate a few $$$, because the Rancefags did the same thing, amirite?) and you're all set.

And before you think I'm taking some kind of moral high ground here, just know that I didn't donate for these avatars, I would have been ok with DU's decision to add them or not one way or the other, and I'm not a big fan of anime either. Another thing I'm not a big fan of is dumbfucks like yourself trying to rationalise why avatars shouldn't be here because he doesn't like them. Adblock them, FFS. Again, I'm going to mention Jaesun, who was against them to begin with, did what he could to stop them, and in the end just Adblocked them like a bro instead of bitching like a butthurt little whiner like yourself.

R00fles!
I agree, Excommunicator is just being dumb here, and I think that Rance should be purged from this site, but whatever.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I've pretty much said everything I had to say about the matter, so I'm just going to watch and see how it plays out. All this Rance talk is giving me a headache.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Excommunicator said:
You all sound so incredibly defensive and offended by such a suggestion, including Sceptic who I thought was quite the rational debater. At least you were honest in saying that you didn't read my post, but then you respond without knowing what you were talking about? Disappointing Sceptic
Since you've replied in a mild tone to my post I feel I owe you an apology. I will not, however, actually debate your point, for the same reason I didn't read your post in the first place: I'm fucking sick and tired of this debate. If you joined a month ago* and hadn't been lurking before this you'd have no way of knowing, but we've had pages and pages and DOZENS OF FUCKING PAGES of the most retarded kind debating the animu/Michaelangelo dichotomy. Anyway, I just want to make it clear: I'm not offended by the suggestion itself; I honestly don't care either way (though the entire donation thingie was surprisingly amusing to watch). I just wish the entire debate would go away.

* assuming you're not an alt; I won't assume you are, but on the 'dex that possibility only gets discarded 2 or 3 years after joining.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Gragt said:
I still do not fully understand how the goatfuck Michelangelo got stuck into this.
I think it was the 50-page anime thread, one of 1ek's posts. Look it up, it's worth it.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Sceptic said:
Gragt said:
I still do not fully understand how the goatfuck Michelangelo got stuck into this.
I think it was the 50-page anime thread, one of 1ek's posts. Look it up, it's worth it.

Actually it was something like 27 (28 now). And don't say, in the midst of retardation we have had one of the more interesting discussions on the Dex... Back then I didn't expect that the thread would generate such a heated debate.

Jason

chasing a bee
Though I am sad I donated 50$, and all I got was nothing.
If someone could throw together a "CODEX MARTYR" gif in the same font as our usual tags (Arcane, Dumbfuck, Literate, etc) we could use that. Or just leave the modified Patron tag you currently have.

Mrowak

Arcane
Jaesun said:

trollfaces.png

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Tails said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
See? Between you and Reject, you put some effort into level-headed arguments, and the only responses you get are "lol 2010 Codex"
Yeah, like argument "The people who donated for these avatars have done more for the community by donating than the people who bitch and whine about decline." was much more of higher level :salute:

And the posts by reject etc explaining why it's a good game and should at least be taken into consideration...?

The argument was that anyone who enjoys a Japanese game, even if they just ignore the art instead of enjoying it, is a race traitor subversive who hates Fallout and thinks anime art is superior to Michaelangelo. Really, it sounds like I might be exaggerating for effect, but I'm not.

Sceptic said:
Excommunicator said:
You all sound so incredibly defensive and offended by such a suggestion, including Sceptic who I thought was quite the rational debater. At least you were honest in saying that you didn't read my post, but then you respond without knowing what you were talking about? Disappointing Sceptic
Since you've replied in a mild tone to my post I feel I owe you an apology. I will not, however, actually debate your point, for the same reason I didn't read your post in the first place: I'm fucking sick and tired of this debate. If you joined a month ago* and hadn't been lurking before this you'd have no way of knowing, but we've had pages and pages and DOZENS OF FUCKING PAGES of the most retarded kind debating the animu/Michaelangelo dichotomy. Anyway, I just want to make it clear: I'm not offended by the suggestion itself; I honestly don't care either way (though the entire donation thingie was surprisingly amusing to watch). I just wish the entire debate would go away.

* assuming you're not an alt; I won't assume you are, but on the 'dex that possibility only gets discarded 2 or 3 years after joining.

I am not an alt and I haven't been here longer. I haven't seen such a debate since I have been here, that is why I discuss it. Like I said, I don't expect anything done about it. People have already paid real money and half the avatars are for beloved games, no matter how crappy they actually are.

And for clarification when I say the fact that Rance is an RPG is irrelevant in the discussion, I mean in terms of the assumption that only RPG/Strategy games are considered in the first place (people seem to agree on that?). Meaning the avatars should go through a quality control IMO. I think this is one of these things which has developed a policy of its own over time among admins/members, and when it gets questioned people just defend it when they get offended by the suggestions.

Oh and for the record I would also take out Mass Effect and Oblivion and othe crappy reflections of RPGs, but that is just me and where are the fanboys who would defend those :smug:

I enjoy all the bitterness and raging and abuse.

Rage on Codex.

trollfaces.png

Mrowak

Arcane
Excommunicator said:
Sceptic said:
Excommunicator said:

I am not an alt and I haven't been here longer. I haven't seen such a debate since I have been here, that is why I discuss it. Like I said, I don't expect anything done about it. People have already paid real money and half the avatars are for beloved games, no matter how crappy they actually are.

And for clarification when I say the fact that Rance is an RPG is irrelevant in the discussion, I mean in terms of the assumption that only RPG/Strategy games are considered in the first place (people seem to agree on that?). Meaning the avatars should go through a quality control IMO. I think this is one of these things which has developed a policy of its own over time among admins/members, and when it gets questioned people just defend it when they get offended by the suggestions.

I enjoy all the bitterness and raging and abuse.

Rage on Codex.

I suggest you familarise yourself with the threads I gave you links to. Especially in 'Japanese games are shit, here's why' thread there were some quality posters with strong arguments on both sides (among much rubbish, one must admit). We just do not feel like recycling all run-off-the-mill ideas once again just because someone did not participate in previous debates. So read them, acknowledge what you want, come up with your own ideas accounting for what has been said, and return here or continue in that another thread. Else you will be simply ignored.

Mrowak

Arcane
Cassidy said:
I can't believe avatars would cause so much discussion and drama.

Me neither...

Oh noez, haz I become teh best trollz evar? :retarded:

Mrowak said:
I suggest you familarise yourself with the threads I gave you links to. Especially in 'Japanese games are shit, here's why' thread there were some quality posters with strong arguments on both sides (among much rubbish, one must admit). We just do not feel like recycling all run-off-the-mill ideas once again just because someone did not participate in previous debates. So read them, acknowledge what you want, come up with your own ideas accounting for what has been said, and return here or continue in that another thread. Else you will be simply ignored.

What? No. I had a look through those threads in various ways a few hours ago, but that has nothing to do with my opinion here. Opinions on the credibility of Japanese games in general has nothing to do with my opinion on the selections of quality avatars (although in the case of Rance, a discussion & poll should have taken place - and let's face it, it would have failed - but that was instead replaced by an attempt to raise money, the admins prerogative). That was a side discussion I said I was interested in seeing. But apparently you have exhausted your interests in that so we will move on.

Just don't mix yourself up in the points that I made.

Maybe I will have to do up some avatars for the site.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Just want to add something: a poll at the time just before the thread was started would have been useless. Let's be serious here, how many people have played Sengoku Rance here? 20? Maybe 30? Fuck, I would have voted against it myself if I hadn't actually played it beforehand, or at least followed the LP (but playing it for yourself is better). Have you even played it? Yes, I know you believe that the game itself is irrelevant in choosing avatars, but do you really expect the Codex to act as an unbiased majority in this case?

It wouldn't require a lack of bias. Rance should be first considered based on how many people consider it a good game/RPG/strategy game. If there is a significant number of people - which there probably is - then it should have avatars proposed for it. Those avatars should then be considered based on whether or not the art/quality/style fits with the overall Codex standard (of which it currently has none, I understand).

That is how I would do it. But you are right, people will most likely vote on a different basis than whether the avatars themselves are good, but that is democracy and that is always a flaw of democracy.

And no I haven't played it and wouldn't know where to get it. I don't really want to play it, even if it is a good game, art aside. The art makes me want to pass on it regardless of its quality

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Since it is all heterosexual centric I don't really have any interest in it obviously.

Unless there was hot big penis or something....

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Excommunicator said:
It wouldn't require a lack of bias. Rance should be first considered based on how many people consider it a good game/RPG/strategy game. If there is a significant number of people - which there probably is - then it should have avatars proposed for it. Those avatars should then be considered based on whether or not the art/quality/style fits with the overall Codex standard (of which it currently has none, I understand).

That is how I would do it. But you are right, people will most likely vote on a different basis than whether the avatars themselves are good, but that is democracy and that is always a flaw of democracy.

And no I haven't played it and wouldn't know where to get it. I don't really want to play it, even if it is a good game, art aside. The art makes me want to pass on it regardless of its quality

Your way is actually very reasonable and easy to implement, though I personally prefer the way we have it now.

But again, you're free to Adblock the avatars you don't like so you'll never see them. Why isn't this very simple workaround enough?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Jason said:
Though I am sad I donated 50$, and all I got was nothing.
If someone could throw together a "CODEX MARTYR" gif in the same font as our usual tags (Arcane, Dumbfuck, Literate, etc) we could use that. Or just leave the modified Patron tag you currently have.

For Jaesun, with love.

2dma9eo.gif

kdwf3q.gif

Pick the one that suits you better.

~~ The Thread Incliner.

I generally don't believe in blocking, banning or ignoring.

But I do believe in inclining the Codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom