Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime avatars in my Codex?

Should the Codex have anime avatars?

• Yes, they are the key to understanding RPG Codex

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, get that shit back to GameFAQs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Needs more Connie Chung

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Felix

Arcane
Jaime Lannister said:
well the majority voted no but 1 dollar 1 vote gave us a differnt sresult

Fucking Jews :x

Antagonist said:
Um, this might be inappropriate coming from someone who has been mostly lurking for the past 7 years but how about defining the RPGCodex via written quality content instead of nerdraging over some avatars you don't like? As far as I can see at least 90 percent of the participants of this thread have never ever contributed anything of value to the Codex (including the writer of this message). Anime avatars or not, reading through most of the discussions in the gaming related forums does not exactly leaves the impression of an exclusive online magazine where gentlemen argue about the finer points of RPG mechanics.

Don't try to take the moral high ground. I am a newfag and it is pretty easy to foresee the decline that such a move will eventually cause. There is integrity required in a place like this and rogue behaviours of trolls and spammers is one thing, but actively encouraging something that will bring more of these people and pull down the standard of quality in the overall discussion is just plain stupid.

And do not even try to argue that encouraging Anime and Weeaboo bullshit is not going to cause such a declineto happen, because it is already happening. Look around.

Antagonist

Liturgist
SoupNazi said:
Hey Haba, can you recommend me a good, :monocle: anime?

It's pretty much hopeless because of the skywayian approach by the denizens to anime. It really doesn't matter which one you get recommended as they are by definition all weeaboo shit, right?

Antagonist

Liturgist
Excommunicator said:
And do not even try to argue that encouraging Anime and Weeaboo bullshit is not going to cause such a declineto happen, because it is already happening. Look around.

Well, I remember a recent case where Black Cat discussed the merits of the Shin Megami Tensei series. It was actually painful to read because Black Cat offered some really insightful comments into this particular topic (and RPGs in general) and the counter arguments by many other participants boiled down to: Urgh...ahhh...um...ANIME FAGGOTRY!!!!. Thank you, I'll take the weeaboos of Black Cat's caliber everyday over people with a bad case of unwarranted self-importance.

SoupNazi

Dude, listen to Excommunicator and don't try to take the moral high ground. You seem to miss out a lot of the finer points of these things (both the avatar e-drama, and my question to Haba). :smug:

Krash

Arcane
I'd also appreciate if not every thread where someone with an anime avatar posts gets derailed immediately because of it. That's actually worse decline than the avatar itself.

Thank you

I like some anime. Some of them have great animation and some have interesting ideas. There is nothing wrong with that.

But if you think that it is not a slippery slope then you are mistaken.

Edit: Oh and I would be interested to see an intelligent discussion on the RPG elements of an anime (if there are such things), or intelligent discussions about them in general but I have not seen this happen yet. Perhaps you should bring your micronation together and try to achieve something to change the opinions of those who oppose what you represent? I would be happy to see genuine points and arguments put forward.

The point is unless you want to lead a revolution of genuine value and inspiration, then it will never be a fitting part of the Codex. Like I've said previously, enjoy it all you want but you don't have to make it a built-in part (avatars) of the Codex just because you enjoy it. It doesn't fit aesthetically, ideologically, socially or intellectually as far as I am concerned

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Antagonist said:
Excommunicator said:

Well, I remember a recent case where Black Cat discussed the merits of the Shin Megami Tensei series. It was actually painful to read because Black Cat offered some really insightful comments into this particular topic (and RPGs in general) and the counter arguments by many other participants boiled down to: Urgh...ahhh...um...ANIME FAGGOTRY!!!!. Thank you, I'll take the weeaboos of Black Cat's caliber everyday over people with a bad case of unwarranted self-importance.

I've given up on trying to convince them - I'm not really that vested, while SMT and Rance are definitely good games, I've gotten bored of most of them before finishing them, they just get a bit aspergy for me - and now just find it really funny. If the highbrow and elite minds of the Codex can't look past a (very) shitty art style and enjoy some games for offering exactly what we mourn the loss of in gaming, it's their loss. And the NO HOMO BRO NO HOMO reaction to the Rance avatars is fucking priceless, I'd take one for myself if I wasn't so edgy and anti-anti-mainstream and
zorg.jpg

Can you get together a few of your sympathisers and start a genuine debate thread with some real arguments, examples and well thought out opinions then?

I promise to behave in the thread.

But unless you want to stand up and meet maturity with maturity, then your cause is weak and a failure.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Excommunicator said:
I like some anime. Some of them have great animation and some have interesting ideas. There is nothing wrong with that.

But if you think that it is not a slippery slope then you are mistaken.

Edit: Oh and I would be interested to see an intelligent discussion on the RPG elements of an anime (if there are such things), or intelligent discussions about them in general but I have not seen this happen yet. Perhaps you should bring your micronation together and try to achieve something to change the opinions of those who oppose what you represent? I would be happy to see genuine points and arguments put forward.

I cannot say which level of intelligent you mean - this is RPGCodex after all - but we have had some interesting discussions about this before. For example:

On Rpg Elements in Sengoku Rance
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=1306294#1306294

That one was a link to the short banter with Alexandros on the value of the game which led to epic:

On nature of japanese animu games (including rpg elements)
Japanese games are shit. Here's why.

On anime in general - some good titles:
:monocle: anime
WhiskeyWolf I have a question regarding anime!
I need some opinions on anime

Antagonist

Liturgist
SoupNazi said:
Dude, listen to Excommunicator and don't try to take the moral high ground.

Don't worry, as already mentioned I'm aware of my lack of quality contribution to the site. :) And once I overcome my inner resistance to do some work which has to be finished by Monday I'll also retract back to obscurity for the next couple of months. Long Internet discussions wear me out a lot more than a decade ago. *geezer*

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Excommunicator said:
Can you get together a few of your sympathisers and start a genuine debate thread with some real arguments, examples and well thought out opinions then?

I promise to behave in the thread.

But unless you want to stand up and meet maturity with maturity, then your cause is weak and a failure.

Going "HURRRRGH FUCKING WEEABOO SHIT GO BACK TO GAMEFAGS WEEABOO FAGGOTS DECLINE DECLINE DECLINE" is "maturity"? Is this what you people actually believe?
Anyway, it's been fucking done several times, nothing changes. Follow Mrowak's "Japanese games are shit" link, there was one other that went on at the same time. But hell, you're just going to ingest the content, ponder it for a bit, then come back in a few days going "GAAAAH FUCKING WEEABOO FAGETS WHY DO YOU HATE MICHAELANGELOS" again, so you might as well not bother.

But yes, saying "I've given up on trying to convince them" clearly means I'm dying for another debate.

I feel the BUMFACE rising inside me again

You sound like a blubbering moron POOPOO MCBUMFACE.

If you are indicative of the kinds of alpha personalities that make up the Weeaboo Nation then I truly do wonder what you think you are doing here.

Responding to an intelligent response with self-defeatist meta-faggotry like that is no better than being a mindless troll. Your points have been lost beneath the waves of hypocrisy. Move along

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Yep, the guy who's never watched an anime in his life and hasn't completed a JRPG for years is a weeaboo, and pointing you towards the kind of discussion you were asking for is irrelevant. Good call again, that and random homophobic slurs certainly prove that you're intelligent and mature. :salute:

Intelligent discussion on this issue has been attempted. Nothing changes and the same crowd always comes back around with the same old "lol weeaboos" shtick. Why bother being constructive at you? It's a waste of time. If you can't ignore art style and play a game on its own merits, it's no skin off my back.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Ok, you faggots, hear me out.

The Codex and TCancer are part of the same forum, which is why they allow not only RPG avatars, but also from different strategy and tactical games. Sengoku Rance is a game that is arguably a hybrid of all three mentioned above.

-You develop your characters, take part in (linear) dungeon crawls and death is permanent when a character dies. This is for the the mondblutian gang, but the LARPers have it even better: there is a shitload of C&C in this game, and not the fake kind either, and the replay value is very large because of this.
-Tactically, the game uses a stack-based version of the Disciples series combat. I won't go further on this one because it's known that the Disciples system is polarising, but in itself allows for many tactical variations depending on army composition and size.
-The final tenet here is the strategic aspect. You have to juggle diplomacy, economy, exploration, your armies and generals, dungeon-crawling, building relations with other characters, infrastructure and above all, which battles you fight and where. And all this under a measly number of actions per turn - this is no LOL I CAN DOES EVERYTHING Oblivion clone, you really have to plan your actions carefully and have contingencies.

Now even ignoring that the whole is more than the sum of its parts, if you take each of these elements individually, they're at the very least competently done, and in some ways they have surpassed what you'd expect from a standard dungeon crawler, storyfag RPG or TBS.

Why exactly are jRPGs so despised on the Codex? Because they suck as a whole, not just by virtue of being Japanese, but because quality-wise it can be pretty much proven that the vast majority of these games are horrible to mediocre, or at the very least deeply flawed by conventions adopted simply because the genre itself expects this of them. Time and time again the Japanese have been found wanting, and the few exceptions there are (like Chrono Trigger or the Shin Megami Tensei series) aren't enough to redeem them in our eyes. Yet the approach the Codex has evolved over time is to instinctively equate Japanese with bad, and to dismiss great games such as Sengoku Rance just by virtue of being Japanese, instead of dismissing them because it could be a bad game, which is where this whole distinction originated from.

Is there really a danger of this being a slippery slope? Of it possibly leading to adding random FFXIII avatars? Take another look at the Japanese gaming market and then back to this thread - Japanese games still suck badly and these really worthwhile games are getting more sparse. There is no logic in thinking that "We will now add bad Japanese games because we reluctantly added a great one." The anime art-style is a strawman. Many people would find the System Shock, Geneforge or Wasteland avatars ugly compared to the pristine Age of Decadence, Dawn of War or Arcanum avatars, but this misses the point entirely. We have these games on our avatar list not because we like the avatars themselves, but because they represent something that the genre should aspire to..

Tails

Arbiter
One of the pros of Codex expect for news, having occasion to rage out on decline & find suggestion to good games, was also lack of anime avatars, with which internets are plagued everywhere. I have nothing against anime, I watched some of them and very liked, but like I said before, lack of animu avatars on Codex was a big pro. Those from Rance have bad drawing and not really pleasant to watch. Rance avatars are just here, because of banal shit boring rape theme that some people find amusing.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Reject_666_6 said:
Ok, you faggots, hear me out.

The Codex and TCancer are part of the same forum, which is why they allow not only RPG avatars, but also from different strategy and tactical games. Sengoku Rance is a game that is arguably a hybrid of all three mentioned above.

-You develop your characters, take part in (linear) dungeon crawls and death is permanent when a character dies. This is for the the mondblutian gang, but the LARPers have it even better: there is a shitload of C&C in this game, and not the fake kind either, and the replay value is very large because of this.
-Tactically, the game uses a stack-based version of the Disciples series combat. I won't go further on this one because it's known that the Disciples system is polarising, but in itself allows for many tactical variations depending on army composition and size.
-The final tenet here is the strategic aspect. You have to juggle diplomacy, economy, exploration, your armies and generals, dungeon-crawling, building relations with other characters, infrastructure and above all, which battles you fight and where. And all this under a measly number of actions per turn - this is no LOL I CAN DOES EVERYTHING Oblivion clone, you really have to plan your actions carefully and have contingencies.

Now even ignoring that the whole is more than the sum of its parts, if you take each of these elements individually, they're at the very least competently done, and in some ways they have surpassed what you'd expect from a standard dungeon crawler, storyfag RPG or TBS.

Why exactly are jRPGs so despised on the Codex? Because they suck as a whole, not just by virtue of being Japanese, but because quality-wise it can be pretty much proven that the vast majority of these games are horrible to mediocre, or at the very least deeply flawed by conventions adopted simply because the genre itself expects this of them. Time and time again the Japanese have been found wanting, and the few exceptions there are (like Chrono Trigger or the Shin Megami Tensei series) aren't enough to redeem them in our eyes. Yet the approach the Codex has evolved over time is to instinctively equate Japanese with bad, and to dismiss great games such as Sengoku Rance just by virtue of being Japanese, instead of dismissing them because it could be a bad game, which is where this whole distinction originated from.

Is there really a danger of this being a slippery slope? Of it possibly leading to adding random FFXIII avatars? Take another look at the Japanese gaming market and then back to this thread - Japanese games still suck badly and these really worthwhile games are getting more sparse. There is no logic in thinking that "We will now add bad Japanese games because we reluctantly added a great one." The anime art-style is a strawman. Many people would find the System Shock, Geneforge or Wasteland avatars ugly compared to the pristine Age of Decadence, Dawn of War or Arcanum avatars, but this misses the point entirely. We have these games on our avatar list not because we like the avatars themselves, but because they represent something that the genre should aspire to..
Good post, but:
frog.png

*DERP*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom