Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shivering Isles = Fixes Many of Oblivion's Major Problems

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Let me preface this by stating that I know that the Codex generally has a passionate hate-affair with all that is Oblivion, and the last thing many of you want to see is another thread about the game.

Still, as a long-time CRPG'er, I think my latest experiences with it are worth relating here, I guess maybe in the hopes of encouraging some others, like me, who had initially given up on the franchise due to its latest massive number of design faults, to possibly give it another go using the Shivering Isles expansion.

If anything else, at least I'll hopefully give a fresh perspective based not only on what I feel Bethesda did right in SI from a design standpoint but also by throwing in a critical component to what I feel makes such a graphically intensive (and dependant) game worth even considering: using adequate hardware to play the thing as it was (presumably) intended.

When I first picked up Oblivion, I admit I was quite stoked. I had fallen for all the pre-release hype, and, as a long-time TES fan, I felt as if they were going to get everything right with this one. About two weeks into the game (I'm a very methodical player) I realized that the illusion was broken and began to resent its many flaws, from the repetitive NPC's, locations and quests, to its less-than-believable world and even its inability to run well on my purpose-built PC into which I had recently invested a good chunk of change to be able to fully enjoy (among other things) Oblivion in all its supposed glory.

Regardless, and again, I know there's been plenty of talk here about Oblivion so I won't go on much further, I actually did manage to finish the game by finally just waltzing through all the critical areas (no spoilers, but you know what I'm talking about) and getting through to the endgame, which was actually entertaining and ironically quite difficult.

So, to my own surprise, I decided to pick up Shivering Isles when it came out anyway, and had moderately high hopes that Bethesda may have listened to at least a little of the severe criticism leveled at Oblivion and get back to something resembling to some degree what used to make the TES titles so appealing: their difficulty and their sandbox-like freedom. I don't want to stir up yet another shitstorm on the merits or lack thereof of BSW's body of work, but I think it's fairly widely accepted that the early versions of the ES series were at least worthy in terms of a freeform dungeon romp style RPG with a fairly deep and intriguing backstory. This is what I hoped for (feebly, and with much cynicism) from Shivering Isles, and it turned out, initially, that it was indeed the case.

Further avoiding repetitiveness and many seething insults, I won't do any kind of personal 'review' of SI, but, rather, I'll just touch on a few of the things that, a) made SI much more fun for me when I first installed and started playing it, and, b) what I've found recently, after having picked it up again this much later, that gives it even more freshness and alleviates even more of the annoying "Bethesdaness" that still threatened to infect it. (To clarify, I stopped playing SI not too long after its release due to a remaining lack of performance running it that, for me, served to kill its immersiveness and practically eliminated a major factor in spending my time playing a first-person CRPG-cum-FPS in the first place - worrying more about framerates than the game itself)

So now that my PC is again 'up to speed' (running dual 8800GTS's in SLI mode on a 24" NEC widescreen LCD under Windows Vista, AMD Opteron 185 overclocked, RAID0, etc., scoring 10,000+ in 3dMark06) I can roam through New Sheoth even with precipitation, in full 1920x1200 with absolutely all detail maxed out, 2X antialiasing, blah blah blah, and not suffer any appreciable loss of performance. The widescreen support really is nice. I've also re-applied some of my favorite old tweaks to the Oblivion engine, such as the grass detail adjustments, better water, among others, and, combined with the far texture improvements BSW finally implemented in its latest patch, Oblivion and SI looks and performs equally well in all areas. I don't have to sacrifice anything now, and being the graphics whore that I am capable of being, that makes me happy, or happier.

Importantly, I also had to add some of the better gameplay tweaks that further remove more retardedness: namely, weapon durability (can I get just a little realism, please?!?) and rare items (strips all NPC's of high-level shit), which actually doesn't seem to be necessary in SI so far. These are personal preferences only, and their absence wouldn't nullify the higher regard I have for SI over Oblivion - they just make it even better for me.

The result, combined with SI's own design improvements, is that now I can get into the game, start going through its quests, and stop fighting with the game's mechanics and stupid tendencies and just roleplay. That's what I'm doing. I'm just an orc thief schmuck who's learning his trade, and having to go into some dungeon and retrieve some little item is not a pointless exercise now since the reward actually has some value (gold and good items is/are not as easy to come by so far). Breaking into someone's house at night in the city is actually fun to do now, because I seriously need to find a better friggin' sword! This ain't easy!

Yeah, the scaled leveling is still there, the NPC's all still sound like each other and tend to stare at walls. There are still many reminders present of what made Oblivion the mindless cluster fuck that it was, but those things are easier to ignore this time around. The improved writing, direction, and atmosphere of SI grants that. The small amount of intelligence regarding loot distribution and the like finally implemented by Bethesda is a relief. I think even the smaller landscape and sharper focus on what you're supposed to be doing is making a difference as well. I don't know, maybe I'm just RPG-desperate as of late. What else have I got to play right now?

I just wish I didn't have to wait one or two years after some of these titles come out to be able to actually enjoy them on both a technical and gameplay level. C'est la vie, eh?

P.S. Go easy on me. I'm still new here. :lol:

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
Re: Shivering Isles = Fixes Many of Oblivion's Major Problem

Crispy said:
Yeah, the scaled leveling is still there, the NPC's all still sound like each other and tend to stare at walls. There are still many reminders present of what made Oblivion the mindless cluster fuck that it was, but those things are easier to ignore this time around.
Brian: You mean...you were raped?!
Mother: Well...at first, yes.

Binary

Liturgist

Crispy said:
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah zomg Oblivion blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah running dual 8800GTS's in SLI mode on a 24" NEC widescreen LCD under Windows Vista, AMD Opteron 185 overclocked, RAID0, etc., scoring 10,000+ in 3dMark06 blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Oblivion is 1337 blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Nice of you to drop by.

Binary

Liturgist

Cimmerian Nights said:
Brian: You mean...you were raped?!
Mother: Well...at first, yes.

:lol: You sir, get props for quoting Monty Python in an Oblivion thread

:salute: :salute: :salute:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried to enjoy Shivering Isles, but the horrible horrible voice acting [the worst I ever heard] ruined it for me. Might try it again with a mod that removed the level scaling, but the voice acting... oh gods it's so horrible!

larpingdude14

Scholar
Oblivion is so horribly broken that you shouldn't be able to keep a straight face when talking about fixing it.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In

Binary said:
Nice of you to drop by.

At least I didn't bring up the fact that the thing is gold-plated and has a picture of my penis air-brushed on the side of it, but I get your point.

JarlFrank said:
the horrible horrible voice acting

Yeah, again, many things haven't changed but short of re-recording all of the game's dialog there's only so much that can be done. Bethesda and modders combined seemed to have salvaged something from this trainwreck. Exploring trainwrecks can sometimes be fun, ya know?

mjorkerina

Scholar
SI doesn't fix the dumbed down dialogues, the dumbed down skill system (it's full action now, the skills do not even matter to make a hit, they only matter for the damage and it's pretty easy to level them so even a fucking wizard faggot with 30 strength can become a full fledged fighter full in armor and axe while in morrowind if you didn't pick up a weapon skill as a major or minor talent and train it with a trainer you'd be out of luck to even touch anything), the generic setting of cyrodiil (morrowind was so much better), the extreme ugliness of the characters, for a game that was touted for its graphical qualities the design of the NPC made in facegen sure is lacking a lot, the retarded voice acting and so on.

Fixing Oblivion requires to rewrite it from the beginning.

caliban

Scholar
Oblivion does not suck because of bad voice acting, poor AI, level scaling, bugs, performance issues or anything like it.
Its core design, the very direction the game goes in from the beginning is utter shit. You can't "fix" that.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
mjorkerina said:
SI doesn't fix the dumbed down dialogues, the dumbed down skill system...

You're right. These things were present in the original and have not been "fixed" in SI. However, how the major NPC's have been presented are a little less annoying. You're working with a better story and storyline, somewhat improved writing, and some genuine creativity with Sheogorath and his cronies. It just seems like the cookie cutter was used less liberally this time, but again maybe it's because it's just a smaller world.

As far as the skill system, it shouldn't be the player's responsibility to do this, but if a character's class is chosen/created that doesn't include too many of the skills that he will use constantly (blade, for example) as any of his major skills, then he won't level as fast and therefore won't be plagued with the horrific runaway NPC co-leveling. Even if he is, that rare items mod I mentioned basically fixes that, at least for me.

elander_

Arbiter
Why bother? A piece of crap that smells like roses it's still a piece of crap.

Starwars

Arcane
I played through SI once.

It's true that it's generally better than Oblivion, but the trouble for me is that it still doesn't reach the levels of where I would consider it "good" (though I should also say that I did get some enjoyment out of both Oblivion and SI on my first playthrough).

The first change is obviously the setting, and it is also in this respect where I felt SI really failed. I think the general idea of an "insane realm" is wonderful, and full of fun possibilities. But, SI doesn't take itself seriously AT ALL which is a real shame. Bethesda had all the chance in the world to provide an experience (relating to insanity) that could be either touching or disturbing, and what happens... They basically deliver the cartoon version of madness. Just like Oblivion, it's Disneyland, just more crazy.
This carries over to the NPCs as well. Yes, it's actually a huge step forward in that now I can actually see differences between different NPCs, and there seems to be some effort in giving them personalities. But... They are oh-so-cartoonish for the most part. I can't relate to them or feel anything for them at all.

That was my biggest gripe with SI (if we don't count stuff like mechanics and whatnot that carries overfrom the original Oblivion).

But, I did find it rather more inspired than Oblivion. It has more character, and it feels like someone actually gave a shit about what's in the game aside from teh grafixx!11 I thought it was worth a playthrough IF you can get some enjoyment out of Oblivion.

Azarkon

Arcane
elander_ said:

Actually, a piece of crap that smells like roses could be used in place of roses as an air freshener, which elevates its usefulness above that of a simple piece of crap.

Raapys

Arcane
Azarkon said:
elander_ said:

Actually, a piece of crap that smells like roses could be used in place of roses as an air freshener, which elevates its usefulness above that of a simple piece of crap.
But it's still a piece of crap.

Deleted member 7219

You could sell it to a coprophiliac and earn some money.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Azarkon said:
Also, it is likely it would stick to vertical surfaces. This adds a level of usefulness that many deodorisers do not have.

elander_

Arbiter
And when it dries it just falls by itself. The utility of crap that smells like roses is so unappreciated. :lol:

Section8

Cipher

I'll bite.

Crispy said:
I don't want to stir up yet another shitstorm on the merits or lack thereof of BSW's body of work, but I think it's fairly widely accepted that the early versions of the ES series were at least worthy in terms of a freeform dungeon romp style RPG with a fairly deep and intriguing backstory. This is what I hoped for (feebly, and with much cynicism) from Shivering Isles, and it turned out, initially, that it was indeed the case.

I'm wary of any comments qualified with "initially", because "initially" Oblivion seems pretty promising, and it's only as you realise that every one of the multitude of options it offers just isn't very interesting that the sheen fades.

Importantly, I also had to add some of the better gameplay tweaks that further remove more retardedness: namely, weapon durability (can I get just a little realism, please?!?) and rare items (strips all NPC's of high-level shit), which actually doesn't seem to be necessary in SI so far. These are personal preferences only, and their absence wouldn't nullify the higher regard I have for SI over Oblivion - they just make it even better for me.

I'm also wary of judging a modified product. Minnie Driver isn't ugly as sin if you judge her with a paper bag over her head. Star Wars - The Third Gathers: Backstroke of the West and its machine translated English->Chinese->English subtitles is far more entertaining than the proper version. The filmclips of most pop "divas" are much better when you apply the mute mod.

Also, that "rare items" mod directly addresses one of Oblivion's major complaints without the need for Shivering Isles.

The result, combined with SI's own design improvements, is that now I can get into the game, start going through its quests, and stop fighting with the game's mechanics and stupid tendencies and just roleplay.

Roleplay as in actually roleplay where denizens of the world recognise your character, or "roleplay" where you simply make believe while playing a game, like when I play Doom and pretend all the imps are actually on my side by running between them and other enemies so they accidentally shoot each other?

That's what I'm doing. I'm just an orc thief schmuck who's learning his trade, and having to go into some dungeon and retrieve some little item is not a pointless exercise now since the reward actually has some value (gold and good items is/are not as easy to come by so far).

Is it just me who thinks that's probably a product of Rare Items, a mod designed to do exactly what you're describing? Besides, Oblivion's early levels were much the same. It wasn't until a bit later when you started getting enemies dropping full suits of decent armour and weapons, and necromancers dropping 30-50 potions at a time that you begin to realise money is utterly pointless.

Breaking into someone's house at night in the city is actually fun to do now, because I seriously need to find a better friggin' sword! This ain't easy!

That sounds like a different definition of "fun" to the one I go by. By that logic, it would be "fun" for a struggling single mother to turn tricks because she seriously needs to buy food for her kids. You can't equate the reward to the activity. The gameplay is still exactly the same awful shit, but you're willing to turn a blind eye because the goal has more meaning to you.

Yeah, the scaled leveling is still there, the NPC's all still sound like each other and tend to stare at walls. There are still many reminders present of what made Oblivion the mindless cluster fuck that it was, but those things are easier to ignore this time around.

"Easier to ignore" is a pretty debatable improvement.

The improved writing, direction, and atmosphere of SI grants that. The small amount of intelligence regarding loot distribution and the like finally implemented by Bethesda is a relief. I think even the smaller landscape and sharper focus on what you're supposed to be doing is making a difference as well. I don't know, maybe I'm just RPG-desperate as of late. What else have I got to play right now?

This I've heard mixed reports on. Some people have liked it, others have said it's like watching a really unfunny cartoon. I don't doubt that it would be a more focused and better directed experience, but I have grave doubts that it would be improved enough to be acceptable. Colour me unconvinced. ;)

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Hey, fair enough 8, but you have to admit this is a darned hard to convince crowd around these parts.

However, my post was never meant to convert the masses to like Oblivion or even SI. It was simply meant to convey what I personally like about the expansion, especially when running on a next-gen (heh) hardware platform.

It's simple: sneak around in a dungeon in real time, kill some monsters, loot some treasure. Talk to some whacky NPC's and complete a few quests. In Oblivion it turned weird, real fast. In Shivering Isles it's a little more palatable. And to a starving man, a few leftover maggots don't mean much.

[chomp, chomp]

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Good effort here, Crispy. Re-evaluation can't hurt. At the very least it confirms previous observations/lessons etc.

I didn't play much into SI, just couldn't get into it. The world looked heaps better than Cyrodiil, though, and that was exactly what I was hoping for. A nice stroll through alien environs, much like Morrowind provided. The rest of it hurt too much still.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Alright, let me be the guy agreeing somewhat with Crispy here. Shivering Islands is heaps better than Oblivion. Does it make Oblivion better, though? No. Just no. No, no, no, no, no, no. NONONONONONONONONO. NO. Oblivion sucks. End of story. End of argument. I don't care. There's nothing that can save it. It's design is retarded beyond belief and salvation. You'd need to bomb it for it to reach the pearly gates of HEAVAN and hope that Saint Pete feels pity for it!

Shivering Islands, though, is a good expansion pack thing. The voice acting is bad and the quests are still retarded, although there are some good - okay, one good, but the sheer atmosphere of the place and direction of some of the retarded quests are great. It felt Morrowindy and even for all its faults, Morrowind looked and felt nice. Oblivion is fucking ugly by comparison. I don't care how shiny the graphics get. But Morrowind and SI seems to have had a dose of art direction that are so uncommon in games today. It's a weird place to be and it's fucking magical and spectacular.

I just wish there was more to do than some sidequests and the main plot. It's short. I understand that, because it's an expansion pack. But it had so much potential and even for a short game I like it loads more than Oblivion and I hope that the people who worked on it were carried over to Fallout 3. And if they were the same people who worked on Oblivion, I hope they bring that magic peyote bag they had making Shivering Islands.

There. I just gave a big sloppy blowjob to Bethesda's Shivering Islands art team, but I didn't feel homosexual because I kept yelling "Slayer" during it.

Suchy

Arcane
I gotta admit, that SI at last had some memorable NPCs. If the whole Oblivion was made like SI, it would be a medicore+ game. It would still require major core fixing though.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
That isn't the most terribly convincing argument, to be honest.
I got as far as the last 3 or 4 paragraphs, and up to that point the whole thing had only focused on how bad Oblivion was out of the box, your improved tech (not interested), better graphics (not interested) and mods you've used (not really relevant).

So we get to the single paragrah that seems to put any case at all forward at all:

The result, combined with SI's own design improvements, is that now I can get into the game, start going through its quests, and stop fighting with the game's mechanics and stupid tendencies and just roleplay. That's what I'm doing. I'm just an orc thief schmuck who's learning his trade, and having to go into some dungeon and retrieve some little item is not a pointless exercise now since the reward actually has some value (gold and good items is/are not as easy to come by so far). Breaking into someone's house at night in the city is actually fun to do now, because I seriously need to find a better friggin' sword! This ain't easy!

...and from what I can tell, the only argument is that it's a bit more fun to rob houses, the economy isn't quite as fucked and dungeon loot is improved, which may or may not be down to one the numerous mods you've mentioned.

After that attempt I still wouldn't even consider it worth the bandwidth to rob.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom