Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Should I Keep Playing Wasteland 2?

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm about 15 hours into Wasteland 2: Director's Cut and I'm unsure if I should keep struggling with the game. I heard a lot of bad things about this game, but I found myself liking it a lot at first. It's has party, turn-based, tactical combat, and it has just the right amount of difficulty for me on the normal setting.

I like taking advantage of the terrain, having my combatants take cover and have my Rangers take pot-shots with rifles, while my shotgun wielders wait in ambush for the enemy to charge forward. Also, I think my party has a pretty good spread of skills from computer hacking to mechanical repair.

There are some tongue in cheek moments that are great, and I like the subtle commentary of places like Happy Valley, which seems more natural and clever than anything Bethesda could put together in their own games.

But I feel like I'm struggling against poor coding and game design. The camera is a fucking mess, and when I'm trying to adjust my point of view it sometimes glitches and starts moving around on its own. There were some tight corridors in the Ag Center, and the camera just didn't work in there at all.

I also can't complete some quests due to poor quest designs. For instance, I freed some pigs for some farmer, but they blew themselves up when they tried to return home via a mine field (I don't have the skill to disarm traps or explosives...oops), but the game doesn't allow me to tell the farmer what happened and death is permanent in Wasteland 2, so it's not like I can bring the pigs back.

The game crashes on me often. I'm also stuck since the game won't load the Ranger Station when I try to return to base to continue my quest. I've deleted the game and reinstalled, but I get the same error. I can look for unofficial patches, but at this point I'm getting frustrated and don't want to spend a lot of time trying to hunt down fixes to this game if I'm going to continue to run into other problems down the road.

It's a shame. There's a good game in here, but the bugs are really sapping the fun out of it for me and I'm wondering if I should bother.

Falksi

Arcane
I came across similar issues, and wasn't particularly struck on the combat scenarios either tbh.

I stuck with it for just over 20 hours and by then I'd had enough. I'd say leave it if your finding it a slog now. No point forcing yourself to endure something which you're finding taxing.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Sad to hear, I encountered only a few bugs when playing base game and loved it but the last things you mention especially is certainly the kind of things which could make me abandon about any game.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It's too late now but skipping Ag Center and picking the city attacked by raiders is the right choice, Ag-Center is a mess.

This game is obviously extremely flawed but pigs blowing themselves up isn't such a big deal, you failed a quest, it should happen more often, i find it natural they're pigs and they would just run away home picking the shorter way.

The second area is worth suffering a bit and i really like the red skorpions area, if you choose not to have them as allies, there's a lot of good battle encounters there.
Such a shame the terminator isn't a full fledge companion, merely a fighting follower, never could keep him alive for long ...

About your crashes, didn't have the problem, some crashes, sure, but scarce.
Are you running it with windows 10 ? Tried compatibility/admin modes or searched for some fixes ?

Last edited:

jac8awol

Arbiter
I remember I finished the game and only started noticing the bugs nearer to the end. But now, I can hardly remember a damn thing about the plot or characters, except for a Colonel Sanders looking mofo. The game is no world beater, but maybe has enough rustic charm to amuse you for a few more hours, bugs aside.

Nas92

Augur
Honestly, it's not worth it. The game is not complete trash, but it gets fairly boring and is mostly unremarkable. I played it when it first came out, got to California where every retard said the game would finally get good, surprise, it was the exact same shit.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
no, from my experience it's sadly an irredeemable piece of shit

:dontbelievehislies:

yes, it's party and turn-based - but it suffers from a horrible character system (they had Stackpole and St Andre on board ffs :argh:), horrible itemization (and/or firearm representation into a game-friendly format - i don't know what moron though the weapon tiers were a good idea), and mediocre content (areas and quests) at best

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Wasteland 2 is the best game that inXile ever released.
rating_mca.gif

It's not great, but I enjoyed its atmosphere, combat and finished it once. Didn't come across many bugs either and that was years ago.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Wasteland 2 is the best game that inXile ever released.
rating_mca.gif
You're not wrong, but then again, what have they got to pit it against? Choplifter HD, the game Army Men Air Attack can mop the floor with any day of the week?

Lamentably WL2 is a mediocre game, there are better rpgs to spend your time on out there.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You're not wrong, but then again, what have they got to pit it against?

Numanuma and Bard's Tale 4. Numanuma had some good parts, but with BT4 I just can't bring myself to play that uninspired mess of a game. I tried twice for an hour or so.

mondblut

Arcane
I'm about 15 hours into Wasteland 2: Director's Cut and I'm unsure if I should keep struggling with the game.

Lucky bastard. I am basically 2 areas away from the endgame, and can't force myself to finish it for, like, 3 years now. So it just sits there and occupies 10% of my gaming SSD that could be spent on a number of other games I won't play. Ever taunting, ever mocking...

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Camera is AoD-like shite, but I completed the game back when it was released without much ado. I'm surprised a polished DC version has that many bugs. Anyway, don't torture yourself.

Modron

Arcane
California was a lot better than Arizona in my opinion, I mean I wouldn't suggest you force yourself to keep playing a game you don't like but if you're close to finishing Arizona you might consider giving California an hour or two to open up.

Falksi

Arcane
I bought this cheap on both PC & PS4 just to compare, and if anybody wants a laugh they should try playing the PS4 version of this.

It's like Rebecca Black trying to headline Download festival. If you thought it was wank on PC, it becomes a whole new world of wank on PS4.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Did not played the DC cause what the point in game with very little meaningful C&C but can remember that wanted to drop the base game at Arizona and soldiered on and thenCalifornia was much more fun for me, as for the bugs don't remember many of them its sad that director's cut proved to be such mess Comrades. Its still best of in-exile games and one of few kickstarters I enjoyed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom