Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shut the fuck up!

• Thread starter overly excitable young man
  • Start date

Do you care?

• Total voters

overly excitable young man

I see a solution.
Two actually, but one is kind of final.
Yeah but how can one include the outstanding combat of KotC into Fallout, thus creating the Über-RPG?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Show me where did Bioware, Obsidian touch you.

30f87eb10c7fbf5387676b4345c1c9f5.jpg

Lambach

Arcane
Actually, it was Fallout and Baldur's Gate that sparked the RPG Renaissance
No fuck off. Bioware always produced crap.

BioWare then created a multiplayer and modding revolution with NWN/Aurora
Nobody cares for your stupid dance with rogues stuff, creep.

Fallout and BG remainS to this day the greatest RPGs of their kind.
3 errors in such a short sentence smh

Of course, Jagged Alliance 2 stands alone and towers above all as a monolith; all are in its shadow and that's how it will always be.
:hahyou:

Uh-oh, someone's getting iggy'd in the bin.

Decline everywhere. Even the classical liluran iggy bin is just a matter of the past. :(

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The retarded communist has a point. Companions are severely overrated and overused in modern RPGs thanks to Bioware.

I love PST and Disco Elysium but in many games, companions are just... eh. And Bioware has created a template that many developers (specifically Obsidian) copy: your companions have quirky personalities and have issues you need to deal with and keep telling you about that stuff. And a lot of the writing effort is wasted on these companion characters when it could instead be spent on more valuable content, like quests. Imagine if Chris Avellone had written three quests for PoE instead of two companions. The results would have been much better because quests offer more interesting content than companions.

Quests > Dungeon and encounter design >>> Lore >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Companions

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The retarded communist has a point
He is not a communist. :argh:
He IS red.

Quests > Dungeon and encounter design >>> Lore >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Companions
I don't agree with this, mainly because good and interesting companions can be a quest on their own and improve all the already existing quests through their interaction with the environment and the rest of the party.

The "companions are dumb lore-dumpers and you interact with them endlessly cycling through their lines of dialogue" system is trash, but that's not the only way to implement them.

Of all the games I played, I have more fond memories of recruitable companions than quests.

Yeah i decided to don't play that shit anymore.
But still people seeem to love gay bioware companions as PST, BGs, Pathfinder, DOSes and PoEs are ranked extremely high.
But why?
There aren't many genres that focus on character interaction (adventures, visual novels, mmos) and videogame stories are usually serviceable at best, so if you're playing arpeggios mainly "for the story" then it's probably because of the character interactions.

haraw

Educated
Sry i really can't tolerate biowarian* companions anymore.
I don't care about your curse.
I don't care about your missing grandma.
I don't care about your quest to change class from fighter to monk.
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESHKA!
Just kys and leave me alone!

Do you care? Why you faggot?

*= also encountered in obsidian games and other bg likes
Have you met the jolly companions from Pathfinder Kingmaker?

Those make you miss Imoen.

Kliwer

Savant
I like companions in cRPGs. Of course in many games they are uninteresting or stupid (like in NWN2 or new SJW-infested games ala DA:I), but it’s not the point: you could scamp everything.

My favorite “living” companions are in BG2 and Drakensang games. One of the greatest aspects of PnP RPGs are interactions with your friends and those games simulate it pretty well. Companions with their own quest, opinions, dialogues make an impression that the game is not totally player-centric. Good DM always designs adventures around players personal stories, families, motives. Companions quests are a quite good adaptation of this approach.

BG2 companions are especially similar to your friends trying to role-play their characters. You do not need to like everyone – as you probably do not equally like everyone from your co-players in PnP session. Conflicts in an adventure party is part of fun. The only thing I do not like in BG2 is that some banters show up in very impropriate moments (ex. just after hard battle when you are thinking more about healing, curing status effects and gathering loot than chitchatting) – but it is a minor problem.

I’m replaying now BG series. My current party: Minsc, Jaheira, Valygar, Jan Jansen, Xan (NPC from mod). It’s so cool group, Valygar is the only one I do not like (I’m keeping him only because I need a scout/backstabber). Minsc is a straightforward and exaggerated character, but quite funny and friendly (he is someone like a nice new player in your group, who is still learning how to role-play). Jaheira is just so great companion – with interesting story and good, long personal quest; she is an equivalent of very experienced player. Rest of them are somewhere in between. Xan from the mod is also a good character.

In BG2 all characters are unique, but still very classic. None of them is just strange only for being strange. I really do not like freakshows from some games: for example in Swordflight 2 (NWN1 module) we have just terrible companions: LG gnoll cleric of Tyr… CE assimar rogue/black guard… what a shit design (as whole this overhyped module).

Progenerated companions have also one more advantage (I have elaborated about it somewhere on this forum): they force you to play with un-optimal party. You are discarding some strong character because his alignment do not fit your group, you are hiring someone else only because you like him even if his skills are not essential. It is much more interesting from tactical point of view than a typical super-duper-optimal party from IWD.

In fact I do not like creating of whole parties in cRPGs. In this way you receive a boring group of battle puppets which change all experience from RPG into a simple tactical challenge. I like tactic in games, but only as a one of many elements. And trying to squeeze the best results out of poor classes is also much more interesting than leading a party of bests-of-the-bests. Thought BG1 I have played with Garrick because (with BG1 NPC mod) I like this character very much. An he was not nearly as “useless” as everyone in the Internet claim. In fact he was quite good supportive character, even despite poor stats.

Do you also play with puppets and make different voices when they speak with each other?

In fact I do not like creating of whole parties in cRPGs. In this way you receive a boring group of battle puppets which change all experience from RPG into a simple tactical challenge.
:x

Kliwer

Savant
Do you also play with puppets and make different voices when they speak with each other?

Sorry, dude. It sounds like a reaction of someone who never played a PnP RPG after meeting with his players-friends ("So you really sit in a dark room rolling dices and pretending to be an elf?"). The cheap irony of someone who has no idea what he's talking about.

Instead, I will ask you: do you lose your precious adult time on pointing the pixel orc with a mouse?

I will confess to you - like a nerd to a nerd - RPGs and video games are childish thing. But we're in this together so I would recommend caution in judgment.

Dude pls pull the giant black dildo out of your ass while writing to me.
"Confess"
"In this together"
What kinda fag are you?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Sry i really can't tolerate biowarian* companions anymore.
I don't care about your curse.
I don't care about your missing grandma.
I don't care about your quest to change class from fighter to monk.
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESHKA!
Just kys and leave me alone!

Do you care? Why you faggot?

*= also encountered in obsidian games and other bg likes
Have you met the jolly companions from Pathfinder Kingmaker?

Those make you miss Imoen.

This is not completely accurate - there are absolutely atrocious ones that is true, but there are enough sensible ones to fill a party and not cringe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom