Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SIGIL - 5th episode of Doom by John Romero

Well that's kinda cool. I wonder if they'll include it on Steam copies. Probably not since PC users can load up whatever the hell they want already, but it'd be a nice gesture.

Boleskine

Arcane
I finally got around to playing SIGIL, after a proper playthrough of Ultimate Doom. GZDoom settings aimed at being as vanilla as possible (software renderer, 4:3, etc.). Overall enjoyed it.

I went in on ultra violence, albeit with mid-level saves (which makes me an ultra violence fraud). Starting out is rough because of ammo scarcity, but by level 3 things become more manageable. The visual design and atmosphere is great, but some levels are annoyingly dark. Level design is pretty good for what Romero was aiming to do. It's mostly claustrophobic and lacking in those large areas where you can go wild. There's an abundance of various traps and surprises, which I can't really complain about (like Civvie said, it's devious but not poor design). There's an abundance of narrow walkways over lava and toxic waste. You can almost always find a way back up, but saving before some of these sections is necessary. Using a shotgun to kill hell barons and cacodemons in extremely dark areas might wear some people out.

Overall SIGIL is probably better than Thy Flesh Consumed and The Shores of Hell. Maybe it's as good as Inferno, but definitely a step below Knee Deep in the Dead in terms of overall design and fluidity. The music in SIGIL was fantastic.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom