Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Simultaneous turn-based tactical mech combat RPG Phantom Brigade now available on Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brace Yourself Games; Phantom Brigade

Back in 2018 we reported about Phantom Brigade, a promising-looking tactical mech combat RPG in development at Vancouver-based indie studio Brace Yourself Games. There hasn't been a whole lot of news about the game since then, with the developers seemingly focusing most of their efforts on their other game Industries of Titan, but last year two important things happened. First, the game switched from turn-based combat to a Frozen Synapse-style simultaneous turn-based hybrid system. Second, they announced that it would be releasing on Early Access in 2020, exclusively on the Epic Games Store. The game was finally released today, nearly a year and a half later. In addition to the launch trailer, Brace Yourself released a developer walkthrough video last week that offers a good look at its fancy combat engine. I'll post those here along with an excerpt from the Early Access FAQ:

WHAT IS PHANTOM BRIGADE?
Phantom Brigade is a hybrid real-time and turn-based tactical RPG, focusing on in-depth customization and player-driven stories. As the last surviving squad of mech pilots, you must use your advantage of prediction technology to capture enemy equipment and facilities to level the playing field. Outnumbered and out-gunned, we need you to lead the Brigade through a desperate campaign to retake their war-torn homeland.

WHAT IS EARLY ACCESS?

Early Access is a period in which players can purchase Phantom Brigade early if they would like to support development, help shape its future, or simply experience the game before 1.0. During this time we’ll continue to add features, balance the game based on player feedback and further polish the game.

WHY EARLY ACCESS?

Early Access allows us to get your feedback as early as possible so we can make Phantom Brigade the best game it can be. We’re bursting with ideas and want you to help us shape the future of the game.

HOW LONG WILL THE GAME BE IN EARLY ACCESS?

We are currently planning on having Early Access for at least a year. However, this could change if we feel like the game is not ready for a full 1.0 launch.

HOW IS THE FULL VERSION PLANNED TO DIFFER FROM THE EARLY ACCESS VERSION?

The full version will have additional features, more content, better game balance, cinematic tools, and improved mod support.

HOW OFTEN WILL YOU BE UPDATING PHANTOM?

Phantom Brigade will see one major update to the game per month, similar to our other project Industries of Titan. Phantom Brigade major releases should land on the 3rd Tuesday of every month. The Experimental branch of Phantom Brigade will likely see an update a week at least as we roll out our new features for testing.

The Phantom Brigade Early Access build is available on the Epic Games Store for $30. No Game Pass workaround for this one, I'm afraid. At least the final release will be on Steam, although if other games that have done this are any example, it wouldn't surprise me if it's still in Early Access when it arrives there.

Lhynn

Arcane
Looks pretty good. Looking forward to trying it out.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I saw "Simultaneous Turn Based" and was pumped, thinking that finally someone would do a game like Breach & Clear but better. Unfortunaly I'm very much unsure about how it's "simultaneous": if you know what the opponent is doing, it's not really simultaneous. I mean the VISUALS are simultaneous (I don't care about a movie?), but the tactical aspect is clearly just turn-based and that's it. It still looks cool but I'm sad.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
“RETAKE YOUR HOMELAND” and then a shot of a peaceful republican taking a leak by the woods getting surprise gutted by a rabid radical leftist.

Nice.

DeLastOne

Novice
I saw "Simultaneous Turn Based" and was pumped, thinking that finally someone would do a game like Breach & Clear but better. Unfortunaly I'm very much unsure about how it's "simultaneous": if you know what the opponent is doing, it's not really simultaneous. I mean the VISUALS are simultaneous (I don't care about a movie?), but the tactical aspect is clearly just turn-based and that's it. It still looks cool but I'm sad.

This is WEGO... you plan your turn all at same time and everyone move at same time. Yes of course you see other move since you are confronting them. But once you started movement-combat you cannot stop. You have to wait for the cycle to end and next phase for planning movement and action. A lot of tactical game uses WEGO and it works really well

sser

Arcane
Developer

Basically like a real-time depiction of what Into the Breach does. Fancier and with pizazz, but more or less the same idea.

Looks like you're going to destroy the town in order to save it. I'm also in agreement with Stormcrowfleet. If you're aware of the enemy actions, the strategy/risk seems quite subdued. Seems like it will play like a glorified tower defense game.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Looks like you're going to destroy the town in order to save it. I'm also in agreement with Stormcrowfleet. If you're aware of the enemy actions, the strategy/risk seems quite subdued. Seems like it will play like a glorified tower defense game.

Why not tho?
Good tower defense games are fucking rare, rarer than good RTS games these days.
Last was TAUR and that got stale rather fast.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
On mobile even looking at your free games or gaming inventory is a royal pain. Dunno why that site is so jacked up. Keep getting "apple not supported messages." Gay!

In the older videos it appeared as if the AI could in fact 'change its mind" and not continue along the path you see during the planning phase and that the path was only an estimation, but I am not sure how it works anymore. If the opponent truly follows the paths you see while planning it does seem like it may be too easy to plan against--but having not seen the game being played I am not sure.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
They follow the path, but its possible for units to collide and then it gets disrupted. The combat system is pretty fun but also very easy, and there is nothing much to do in the game right now.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
“RETAKE YOUR HOMELAND” and then a shot of a peaceful republican taking a leak by the woods getting surprise gutted by a rabid radical leftist.

Nice.

Timecode?
Ah, I see now lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom