Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware SiN: Reloaded from Nightdive Studios

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Desc_-_About.png

Nightdive Studios and 3D Realms have joined forces to bring you SiN: Reloaded, a completely remastered experience of the classic 1998 shooter from Ritual Entertainment. SiN was a groundbreaking story driven FPS brimming with memorable characters, horrific enemies and a devastating arsenal that pushed the Quake II Engine to its limits. Now in 2020 SiN has been Reloaded!

singif1.gif

When the CEO of SinTEK Industries begins injecting the streets with a DNA-altering drug, it's time to reassess the laws of morality. When the same twisted bio-chemist plans to overtake the world with her unholy army of genetically-engineered mutants, it's time to rewrite the golden rule.

singif2.gif

You are Colonel John R. Blade, head of the most prominent private protection agency in Freeport. Now Elexis Sinclaire is waging her holy war against the security industry...and you along with it. You've made a religion out of fighting crime. Now you're going to make Elexis pay for her sins.

singif3.gif

Desc_-_Highlights.png

• SiN and Wages of SiN expansion, completely rebuilt from the ground up in the KEX engine!
  • Remastered High Definition Models and Textures by Slipgate Ironworks
  • Support for Wide- and Ultra-Wide video resolutions
  • Restored/uncensored original game assets
  • Native controller support
  • Deathmatch and Capture the Flag Multiplayer Game Modes
  • Includes SiN: Gold 2020 update enhancements and bug fixes

singif4.gif

JDR13

Arcane
I've had the original for years but never really played it much. The thing I remember most about it is that it came out around the same time as Half-Life. That's probably why it wasn't more popular.

Riskbreaker

I'm probably the biggest Sin fan on this forum and I think this looks like shit.
The weapon and enemy models are slightly more detailed, but the environments seem to be the same geometry-wise. So you have these detailed hi-res textures and modern effects imposed on top of simple original geometry. That can never look right, it sorta reminds me of similar fan-made efforts for Quake and Quake 2.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Slightly more detailed is enough. It is a bit difficult to see from those tiny screens, but it doesn't look absolutely horrible. Compared to "HD" Doom, as an example.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I didn't play SiN much but not sure about directional light and shadow too, when the original levels are designed without them in mind.

Is Sin difficult to run on modern machines?

Gold version on Steam and GOG runs fine. Unscalable UI is a pain though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sharpen up the graphics on level 3.

Unless they're going to fix the final boss in the expansion, seems pointless.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Isn't SIN rather obscure as far as 90s FPS go? I think I've finished it, but barely remember anything about it. I'm surprised someone decided to make a retexture and try to sell it again.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
This doesn't look good. A slight bump in resolution could look OK, like going from 128x128 to 256x256, but going up to 2048x2048 or whatever on the original geometry just looks wrong. Like playing minecraft with those 4k resolution texture packs; What's the point?
I hope there's an option to turn the high resolution textures off, but keep the restored content and widescreen stuff.

I have mixed feelings about this game.

On one hand, the design of the maps are excellent, they are big and had a lot of variety.
Blade is awesome, their lines are great, and so is JC, the dialogues between boths are hilarious.
The soundtrack is pretty good.
Is an stylish game overall, with personality. The levels, cutscenes, dialogs and characters, in all these aspects, the game shines. There was an effort to do something different in the genre, and it shows.

But the game itself nowadays doesn't catch me, it's like it wanted to cover many aspects and it fell short.
It bothers me that the machine gun is not hitscan, if not that the bullets have a trajectory, I hate that. I remember that with the silencer, in addition to being silent, it was made hitscan. But later in the game, they take all the weapons from you, and when you get them back, you no longer have the silencer. Damn.
The vehicles sections were awfull. Couldn' stand them.

The best aspect of this game: the Blade's journal. I purchased a physical copy more than a decade ago, and it came with the instruccion manual, reading that was pretty funny and entertaining, it was better than playing actual game tbh.

This remaster doesn't convince me either. A remake in another engine, keeping all the features, functions and the overall design of the original would have been better. But probably, they would fuck it up.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This and the Heretic sequels are the "big" FPS games I've never played. Guess this will be as good a time as any.

Curratum

Never played Sin before, got interested in the remake and played Sin Gold yesterday to see if it would be worth it in the end.

Base game is horrible on so many levels.
You get caught up to a stop on the tiniest world geometry brush edge or model. Your movement feels choppy and a bit slippy.
The OST is some hideous electrojank that just loops and blares and is just badly put together.
There's overly loud ambient sounds that loop constantly and hurt your ears.
The first two levels already had plenty of "figure out this platforming puzzle composed of rafters, tiny ledges and precise jumping on our shitty slippy physics to progress".
Shooting lacks punch and impact and doesn't feel good, it's like you're shooting marshmallow humanoids.

Seeing that the "reloaded" version is just some lighting fx and a bad texture upscale, I can safely assume it's going to be shit as well.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Isn't SIN rather obscure as far as 90s FPS go? I think I've finished it, but barely remember anything about it. I'm surprised someone decided to make a retexture and try to sell it again.
I don't think I'd call it obscure, but yeah, it's the kind of game that gets mentioned as a cult classic in discussions by people who never played it.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Well, you can't expect much from known retards, I guess. I bet you guys also believe the meme-opinion that Xen is shit. There was this one retard journalist review I saw where they said the exact same ‘OMG SO MUCH PLADFERMING SO BAD’ thing, and yet this is all about a single room in a single level out of the entire game. Stop being such whiny faggots.

It bothers me that the machine gun is not hitscan, if not that the bullets have a trajectory, I hate that. I remember that with the silencer, in addition to being silent, it was made hitscan.
It actually is hitscan, the tracers are a lie.

But Xen IS shit as gameplay, besides being breathtakingly beautiful.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sin gets my approval you chumps https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/sin-and-the-wages-of-sin-mission-pack-also-emergence.123778/

. I bet you guys also believe the meme-opinion that Xen is shit. There was this one retard journalist review I saw where they said the exact same ‘OMG SO MUCH PLADFERMING SO BAD

My issue with Xen was the massive enemy grind, as opposed to the platforming.

Now the platforming before Xen with the teleporters, that was awful. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom