Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sir, you are being hunted.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So it released on Steam early access last night. Thank god I did not buy it.

It seems to be all style, no substance. You sneak around islands collecting parts of a teleportation device while looting items/food and avoiding/killing robot patrols. And that seems to be more or less it. It's still early alpha, so I guess a lot can change, but it doesn't sound like it will evolve much further than this. And it currently seems a bit bland.

Overboard

Arcane
You sneak around islands collecting parts of a teleportation device while looting items/food and avoiding/killing robot patrols. And that seems to be more or less it.

Isn't that what the game was supposed to be about anyway, teleportation device aside?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I was hoping it would have a bit more depth than that, though. I don't really know what else I was expecting, but doing just that becomes tedious within 20 minutes. From their previews it seems the only things they're really going to change is adding different types of robots and new ways to kill them.

Name

Cipher
So you are expecting cinametic storytelling or awesome writing?
The whole pitch looks like Receiver: First-person, procedurally-generated content, inferior combat skill VS AI robotic enemies, tool around and collect MacGuffins.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I'm expecting more than looting buildings and shooting robot patrols for the entire game. Where you pulled cinematic storytelling and awesome writing from, I don't know, considering neither of those are things that give a game more depth.

Name

Cipher
I'm expecting more than looting buildings and shooting robot patrols for the entire game. Where you pulled cinematic storytelling and awesome writing from, I don't know, considering neither of those are things that give a game more depth.

Cinematic storytelling and awesome writing are needed to upgrade robotic patrol into NPCs and lootable buildings into stages for NPCs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's a $20 budget/download/KS title. I really didn't expect more than what it purportedly delivers. That said, will wait for a sale.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
You can do a lot better for $20, though. Might as well just play DayZ or WarZ, because the experience is pretty similar and can be had for cheaper, except in this game robots are shooting at you instead of angry teenagers.

Dr Tomo

Learned
You can do a lot better for $20, though. Might as well just play DayZ or WarZ, because the experience is pretty similar and can be had for cheaper, except in this game robots are shooting at you instead of angry teenagers.

So a game where I can deal with hackers or a game that was an obvious cash grab? Also Day Z requires Arma 2 and so that would be at least <$24 which you might as well wait for a sale and if you picked up the latter congrats you are a cancer to the industry.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Why are so many people acting so pissy because I'm calling this game shallow?

The game can literally be summed up as 'see that building, loot it. See those robots, sneak by them or kill them.' Rinse and repeat until you've eventually got all the teleporter pieces collected and assembled. It's all style and no substance.

If you can do that for a few hours without getting bored, good for you, I guess.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Why are so many people acting so pissy because I'm calling this game shallow?

The game can literally be summed up as 'see that building, loot it. See those robots, sneak by them or kill them.' Rinse and repeat until you've eventually got all the teleporter pieces collected and assembled. It's all style and no substance.

If you can do that for a few hours without getting bored, good for you, I guess.

Nope, my post history shows that I am pissy with most games as they usually are shallow including the games you just mentioned and I would side with Metro that the game might be worth picking up on a sale.

DefJam101

Arcane
Being able to sprint indefinitely is a pretty glaring flaw for a game like this; it's much easier to run past the robots than sneak around/shoot them. Either restrict the player's movement or teach the robots how to aim at moving targets more than ten meters away.

Related to the above: looting is too fast. There needs to be some sort of delay so that looting while under fire is less effective.

It is, I guess, nice to see people other than roguelike basement dwellvelopers attempting this sort of game.

potatojohn

Arcane
The idea is fine but the game seems kinda lazy in execution. Looting un-enterable houses by just examining doors? No option to toggle music on and off? etc

ColCol

Arcane
Bought it early, I regret this decision. The game is so boring, and I have a feeling that later versions of the game won't fix this problem.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I can play a walk around and loot game but I need some context to drive me forward. This doesn't have it, I guess.

Psquit

Arcane
I was going to buy that game... well, what does the codex think of Outlast? its not out yet but seems pretty cool for shitting your pants.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I watched the trailer. I decided fuck that. I can shit my pants when I'm old and wrinkly. No need to start now.

ColCol

Arcane
I don't get how people find any of this shit scary, tense yeah, but not scary.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
It's not like you walk around and go "OMG SO SCARY" the whole time even when just walking around in empty corridors. It's that you're walking around, tense as fuck, knowing something is going to happen and not knowing what, when or how you're going to need to react to it. The game isn't necessarily supposed to be scary, just to make you tense. For some of us that tension is pretty intense. If you're fine with the tension, then kudos.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Yeah, all style and no substance is about right. The maps are huge and procedurally generated, which means they are massive and empty with not much to see. Massive procedurally generated maps have always been a recipe for boredom and this is no exception. You can't go in buildings. Enemies are repetitive (there are like 2 or 3). Gameplay is repetitive (alternating between stealth and just running from everything). And it's the same "hunt the artifact" objective over and over. It's the sort of game that if you spend 2 hours playing there's not much reason to stick around because you've basically already seen everything.

People only seem to be talking it up just because it's associated with RPS, whom people seem to have a lot of good will toward, but it's really not a good game at all.

Being able to sprint indefinitely is a pretty glaring flaw for a game like this; it's much easier to run past the robots than sneak around/shoot them. Either restrict the player's movement or teach the robots how to aim at moving targets more than ten meters away.

If you couldn't sprint, though, the game would be hard to the point of being tedious. There are so many enemies and so many artifacts that if you had to stealth every single robot it would take hours to complete. And enemies respawn, so there's not much reason to kill them either. That coupled with the fact that you can only save when you recover an artifact and the game practically seems designed to just make you run past everything.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
This is the game RPS advertised constantly by making articles about it, while saying "LOL ADVERTISING THE GAME ONE OF US IS MAKING BY MAKING ARTICLES ABOUT IT INSTEAD OF JUST PUTTING UP NORMAL ADS IS TOTALLY OK AND NOT A BREACH OF OUR INTEGRITY AS LONG AS WE JOKE ABOUT WHAT A FUNNY BREACH OF OUR INTEGRITY IT IS. OH AND BY THE WAY WE'RE BRITISH [insert some derpery they think demonstrates they're witty and British]".

Yeah, colour me not interested.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
15632.jpg

This is the game RPS advertised constantly by making articles about it, while saying "LOL ADVERTISING THE GAME ONE OF US IS MAKING BY MAKING ARTICLES ABOUT IT INSTEAD OF JUST PUTTING UP NORMAL ADS IS TOTALLY OK AND NOT A BREACH OF OUR INTEGRITY AS LONG AS WE JOKE ABOUT WHAT A FUNNY BREACH OF OUR INTEGRITY IT IS. OH AND BY THE WAY WE'RE BRITISH [insert some derpery they think demonstrates they're witty and British]".

Yeah, colour me not interested.

That doesn't really mean anything about the game's quality though, just RPS's unprofessionalism (is that a word? Should be).

That said, I would be more interested if you could at least go inside buildings. Just make them procedually generated, too. At least it would be a different environment to spice things up (different gameplay as well - if the robots can enter and exit rooms, you wouldn't be able to just sprint down corridors nonstop)

I don't get how people find any of this shit scary, tense yeah, but not scary.

Tense situations can be scary, just not in the "AAAAAAH!" sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom