Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Site looks bad enough to push away people

it's gone now. are they still working on the site code? I think I'm off soon. I had enough. I'm sorry. Had great time here really. But this is too much

El Presidente

Arcane
If the Codex went mobile maybe we need to purchase 3000 gems at the shop to craft the Legendary Codex Skin and finally stop using this degenerate F2P base content.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
but we've been told repeatedly that part of this whole change is to accommodate mobile users and that "it looks great on mobile"

:hmmm:

Its terrible, not only the design but the text input is a pain in the pass, you have to scroll to see the reply box and the shoutbox input when you hit "enter" on the mobile keyboard, half the time it doesnt send the text and instead just adds a paragraph. Not sure how any of this wasnt noticed during testing.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I really don't like this.

I'm not sure if it's just because it's new, but my instinct is that if the site stays like this, I won't feel any motivation to come back here.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
If we can't make xenforo look good, it might even be worth abandoning it to try different software. Even if we have to start from scratch and lose all our content.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Oh the irony... we were laughing at RPGWatch shutting down but in the end it's our own Codex fucking us in the ass

mixed.png

jackofshadows

Magister
Give them a week at least to sort shit out. Meanwhile you can use stylus script from another thread for the old font/dark reader + use the damn zoom if you have to.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Give them a week at least to sort shit out. Meanwhile you can use stylus script from another thread for the old font/dark reader + use the damn zoom if you have to.
it have been like 2 months they have worked on new layout and this is the best they could make. what 1 more week can change if they aren't willing to make the effort to make XF2 look like Oldex?

jackofshadows

Magister
it have been like 2 months they have worked on new layout and this is the best they could make. what 1 more week can change if they aren't willing to make the effort to make XF2 look like Oldex?
Who knows how many manhours they've actually spent in those months? I'd assume not too many. Now when the negative feedback is flowing they'll fix most of the shit in 1-2 weeks I think. But yeah, it'll never look exactly like Oldex.

Skinwalker

*teleports within you*
Patron
In just one day the Nudex went looking from a severe headache-inducing atrocity to something that vaguely resembles the Oldex.

Imagine how much less controversy there would have been had it been released this way to begin with. I warned you about getting the colors right back on the test site, but did anyone listen?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think the only big complaint that I agree with now is the default font being too tiny and eyestrain-inducing - whatever it is, whether it's a different font or too small, etc., it seems less readable-at-a-glance than the old forum. But for the rest of it, it's just a question of getting used to it, and I'm getting used to it already, and it does feel a bit snappier.

A minor nitpick I still have is that I still miss some of the old functionality of Alerts, like it unfolding down on hover - just my muscle memory complaining, as that's always the first thing I hit when I open the site, then What's New. And while the unread posts are differentiated by different grey background, the like/dislike alerts are the same colour background as read posts, which is a bit confusing. Also, I could do with a line under the links to the posts there, as I have to wave my mouse to find the link, and that's a teensy bit of wasted time I don't need.

They do seem to be fixing it up as they go and it's already looking a bit more like the old place, just more ... rectilinear :)

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I think the only big complaint that I agree with now is the default font being too tiny and eyestrain-inducing - whatever it is, whether it's a different font or too small, etc., it seems less readable-at-a-glance than the old forum.
It's the same font. Tahoma 13px.
Also, I could do with a line under the links to the posts there, as I have to wave my mouse to find the link, and that's a teensy bit of wasted time I don't need.
Which page and page element are you talking about?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's the same font. Tahoma 13px.

Which page and page element are you talking about?

Well it doesn't feel the same, is all I can say. Maybe it's that there's more space around the print so it looks smaller or something? Like smaller islands of print in a larger sea of grey-blue type thing? There's certainly something going on, I've seen quite a few complaints about it.

I'm talking about the Alerts page there (once one goes to it). I know the links are now bolded, but underlined is faster to "read" and get the mouse to automatically I think; plus the "likes/dislikes" alerts are being shown as having-been-read (the lighter grey background) as opposed to "yet to be read" (the darker blue). The thing about checking your likes/dislikes is that sometimes you can't remember what the fellow is brofisting in response to, so you want to check it. So I guess that while in one sense that post is a "read" post, in another sense (in terms of it being an alert that you've yet to look at) it's still "unread" in that sense - if you get what I mean.

(Another thing I've realized on the positive side is that the star-on-the-left functionality that used to be in the Alerts page has been replaced by the dot-on-the-right functionality, so that's good! :) )

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
gurugeorge Do you still feel that the font is worse now? It used to be a different font (Lato instead of Tahoma) up until a few hours ago. Tahoma is the same font as before the update and my impression is that it is much more readable than Lato. It might also be the contrast. If you want to, you can check the link in my signature to get yourself a different color scheme.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
gurugeorge Do you still feel that the font is worse now? It used to be a different font (Lato instead of Tahoma) up until a few hours ago. Tahoma is the same font as before the update and my impression is that it is much more readable than Lato. It might also be the contrast. If you want to, you can check the link in my signature to get yourself a different color scheme.

I dunno, it seems to change by the hour, and as I said a few posts ago I'm pretty happy with it now bar my microscopic nitpicks about the Alerts functionality. The colour scheme is fine for me, looks pretty much like the old place now. Whoever's been doing this has been doing good work and keeping up with the complaints, it seems.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
The react buttons under each post look bad. Please make a visually differentiated area in which they are displayed, instead of having them float vaguely beneath the text posts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom