Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind - King of Dragon Pass spiritual successor

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Six Ages first came out last year, not in the 90s.

Modron

Arcane
...why? I can't think of any reason besides DirectX 12 for having Windows 10 requirement.

You're losing so many sales for nothing.
Probably because 7's days are numbered as it will be officially retired soon besides only ~20% of steam user base still uses it and that is trending downward in response to its planned obsolescence and the ability to upgrade to 10 from it. Soon you'll be arguing why don't they support vista/xp at this rate.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
...why? I can't think of any reason besides DirectX 12 for having Windows 10 requirement.

You're losing so many sales for nothing.
Probably because 7's days are numbered as it will be officially retired soon besides only ~20% of steam user base still uses it and that is trending downward in response to its planned obsolescence and the ability to upgrade to 10 from it. Soon you'll be arguing why don't they support vista/xp at this rate.

Again: what technological reason you would have to make your game require Windows 10?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Again: what technological reason you would have to make your game require Windows 10?
Again: why spend time and effort to support a dying operating system?
Because they make an old school type of game,most older people like me for example don't like win10 and wont install it just to play the game. As you can see here many people won't just buy it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess that I will have to pass on this. I still don't have Windows 10 and I am in no hurry to install it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Merlkir is this confirmed? Have you guys tested it on Win 7 and 8 and are certain that it doesn't work? Because most games should work on Win 7 unless they're specifically made to only work on 10. Microsoft did that with their Age of Empires Definitive Edition releases for obvious reasons, but pretty much any other modern game that runs on DirectX 11 or below (and yours runs on DX9) runs without problems on Win 7 64bit.

The game definitely looks like something that should work on Win 7.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Not sure anyone tried Win8, but Win7 definitely does not work.
There is a good reason, I'm told.
(most simply put: we need to release this year. So it's either Win10 and Mac now, or it's those platforms + maybe Win7....some time in 2020? Question mark? We're just not gonna do that.)

edit: This is not official info or a guarantee, just my opinion - perhaps someone will figure out a way after release. The port is Unity, and the Unity files can be opened with open source tools, I've done it. So some extent of modding should be possible.

Last edited:

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'd been waiting for this for about 20 years. Was totally okay with waiting a year for it to get ported to PC. I hyped it as much as I could across multiple sites. It turns out I have to pay rent to Bill Gates or some shit in order to play it now.

kwCO0ZB.png

Insert Title Here
10 sucks compared to 7, but it's not the worst Windows I've had to use. Besides it's worth the sacrifice if you really like KoDP as Six Ages is even better, automatically making it one of the best video games ever made.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Can't you update to 10 freely from 7 and 8?
That was offered as service to disabled (and people with certain physical impairments), and they said they will not be assholes and they allow it without proof of disability.

Meanwhile EU court said OEM licences are allowed to be freely resold, and last time I checked there were offers as low as 3$. So if he wants to have W10 on separate HDD, it would cost him likely less than the game.

But considering how they released to mobile first where money were, and releasing into PC as secondary with massive delay (and talking about how a program that can be easily isolated to not require anything system specific would be delayed when moded for W7), I'd suggest tone down hype.

(20 years ago when I was half dead disabled robed of disability pension, I was trying hard to made freeware games that would practically work on most future OS and tried hard to minimize all dependencies. At that time my education was to much nearly dead to continue high school. I don't understand how simple low speed primitive application require any dependencies.)

Last edited:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
mobile first where money were

That's...quite the assumption there. I think following the success of KoDP on iOS helped, yes, but premium apps never had it easy. Now with Apple Arcade even more so.

tone down hype.

Yes. I've been saying this from day one.
Manage your expectations, please.

Nahel

Arcane
Same Windows 10 is a no buy for me. Perfectly fine with 7. And that is sad because Kodp was awesome.
I understand the logic behind an Ios release first and its fine but that and the Windows 10 exclusivity is like a slap in the face of old School Pc gamers.
Still dont know why Merlkir ignores so many people :lol:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I don't think Windows 7 is somehow the embodiment of gaming oldschool, as opposed to Win10. Do we call 2009 games oldschool now?
Anyway, we explained how things are, I don't think there's any point explaining it any further/again.

Last edited:

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Dang, son, what did I ever do? Lol, not buying this now you weird shut-in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom