Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima

agris

Arcane
Patron
Seems to go a bit counter to the new fights on the game map change. Having separate interior maps gives you a lot more control over encounter design, without the jarring jrpg battle map system.

that being said, perhaps you’re planning a balanced approach? Wherein smaller, less important buildings are connected to the game world such as in that gif, but structures with more combat or nuance load a separate map.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
This game keeps looking more incredible every day. It's like a brilliant Ultima game I could have only dreamed about playing when I was a kid or something.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It looks great, yes. But, I have to be honest:; I miss the biildings being separate from the overworld. The inn was cool af. The same goes for combat encounters.

We'll see how the changes will feel. It feels that the combat change is drastic. We can't compare until we can try it the way it is now, though.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Really getting there with the city tiles! Making cities never felt easier. Facades below are made from a handful of auto-tiling 16x16 tiles organized in a few layers. Pretty happy with the flexibility!

0kerruzxfd561.png

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Looks like a bunch of pubes, just leave it as squares. I prefer when fow's a shade of grey or a neutral color, pure black is too invasive.

agris

Arcane
Patron
If you’ve already viewed the area, when you lose LOS the fog should be semi-transprent and hide moving npcs/monsters. If you’ve never viewed the area out of LOS, the fog should be black.

this is a good balance I think.

V_K

Arcane
The important bit:
Based on that I think a careful estimate is early access in the summer of 2021.

I hope that’s not a huge disappointment to you guys and that you share my enthusiasm for how the game looks at the moment!

The next big milestone for me is finishing the “press demo” which will include most of the first chapter of the game. It is intended for playtesting and as a demo for the press, and content-creators that follow SKALD. This will be around early Q1 2021.
So basically full release likely already in 2022 :negative:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
SkaldRPG said:
Hey everyone!

Lately I've been experimenting with a spaceship component, which would let you explore not just the current world of SKALD, but an entire solar system!

Unfortunately, due to the increased workload the release date will have to be pushed back a bit. I'm currently aiming for a beta release in late 2028, with Early Access happening some time in spring 2030.

Take care!

Jokes aside, the new graphics look neato

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.skaldrpg.com/2020/12/a-seasons-greetings-update/

A Seasons Greetings Update

Hello and merry yule-tide to all friends, fans and followers of the Skald roleplaying game! With 2020 coming to an end, it feels about time for another project update. After all, there’s quite a few new features to show off and even a few delays (believe it or not).

So, what’s been going in the SKALDiverse?
The final game will contain quite a few minor towns and at least one major city. Figuring out how to create large, interesting and good-looking urban environments has been a huge point on my to-do list and something I’ve spent most of the last 6 weeks figuring out.

I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about what kind of architectural style should underlie the look of the Gallina Empire. Having gone back and forth a few time I’m tending towards “Romanesque“: The rounded arches and pillars lend themselves very well to the resolution of the game and the palette feels sufficient to portray a large variation in materials.

Fascades4.png
Fascades1.png
Fascades2.png
Fascades3.png
Fascades4.png
Fascades1.png

The images above are some early examples of the tile-set. Pretty happy so far and now it comes down to adding a bit more flourish. I just love the look of Roman buildings in the Middle-ages where the secrets that went into building them are long gone and they end up being patchworks of increasingly poor repairs. Seems a pretty good fit for this period in the Gallian Empire so why not embrace it!

Interiors.gif

A second pretty big change was making maps a bit more integrated by having building interiors and exteriors be on the same map. A large reason for this change is that it allows me to have the players be able to enter any structure with minimal extra work. Previously this would have required that I created submaps for every single interior and this quickly becomes messy. I still can if I want to, but for most buildings it’s much more interesting to have it all on one map.

Now you can try and steal from a vendor, have him catch you, flee into the street, dive into a tavern and dash through the kitchen to the back exit and alleys. I love stuff like that.

I also spent quite a bit improving the look of the fog of war. The way it just snapped into place tile by tile, was a bit jarring. Notice how it now “grows” and retracts in a more organic way. Believe me when I say, it makes a huge difference when you play the game on full-screen!
OverlandShadow.gif

I’ve also spent quite a few hours polishing the combat system. As you’ll recall, I massively overhauled in October and that was a pretty big update that still has me discovering occasional bugs and idiosyncrasies.

DeepOnes2.gif

None the less, it plays super-nice now and in combination with the new, more complex city maps, it’s truly taking the game to the next level.

What’s next?
Well, it’s no secret that I had hoped to make Early Access by the end of 2020. That’s obviously not going to happen (lol).

No one likes to have delays in their project and I’m no different. However, playing the game today and looking at the build from 6 months ago, all I can say is that it’s been worth every second of work so far.

I always knew the combat system and city maps were “on the chopping block”, and looking back now I’m super happy I took the time to change them. For what it’s worth there are no more major systems that are scheduled for revision (tough there will of course be tons of refinement going on).

Based on that I think a careful estimate is early access in the summer of 2021.

I hope that’s not a huge disappointment to you guys and that you share my enthusiasm for how the game looks at the moment!

The next big milestone for me is finishing the “press demo” which will include most of the first chapter of the game. It is intended for playtesting and as a demo for the press, and content-creators that follow SKALD. This will be around early Q1 2021.

From me to all of you…
Thank you so much for all of your support, friendship, advice, encouragement and enthusiasm throughout 2020. It’s been a hell of a year for a lot of you guys but the SKALD community has remained a warm, inviting tavern in a storm for so many of us. This is a strong reminder of the power of games to comfort, entertain and bind us together.

At_the_Sign_of_the_Prancing_Pony.jpg

So from me to all of you: Seasons greetings and a happy new year!

Anders

Post Script: Show some love for Nox Archaist
Nox Arhaist has been released! Journey back in time to the 1980s and experience an 8-bit adventure inspired by classics like Ultima and Bard’s Tale! Order your boxed set while supplies last!

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
SkaldRPG said:
Hey everyone!

Lately I've been experimenting with a spaceship component, which would let you explore not just the current world of SKALD, but an entire solar system!

Unfortunately, due to the increased workload the release date will have to be pushed back a bit. I'm currently aiming for a beta release in late 2028, with Early Access happening some time in spring 2030.

Take care!

Jokes aside, the new graphics look neato
Haha glad you like the graphics! Also: Who knows it you're joking :-D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom