Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News SKALD: Against the Black Priory Released

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: High North Studios; Raw Fury; SKALD: Against the Black Priory

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1069160/view/4146205571439272360

Today, Swedish publisher Raw Fury and Norwegian developer High North Studios launched their retro-style RPG, SKALD: Against the Black Priory on PC via Steam, and GOG for $14.99/£12.79/€14.99. To celebrate, players can enjoy a launch day discount, now in effect for 10% off.

Set in a grim-dark fantasy world of tragic heroes, violent deaths and Lovecraftian horror, in SKALD: Against the Black Priory, choices matter as players explore an engaging storyline mixed with crunchy tactical, turn-based combat and character customization.

Inspired by iconic retro RPG titles, in SKALD: Against the Black Priory players explore the thrilling expanse of Freymark and the Outer Isles to uncover the grand schemes of the Gallian Empire. Players will experience an unforgettable story filled with unexpected twists and turns, with a unique mesh of modern storytelling and classic RPG elements, that will seem familiar and yet innovative to RPG fans, old and new.

Players will experience key features including:
  • Equipping their heroes using a modern inventory system, fulfilling objectives through quest logs, and reading journals to discover hidden secrets.
  • Unique visuals built from thousands of hand-drawn tiles and images inspired by the legendary Commodore 64 computer, with an optional CRT filter to allow for a true retro gameplay experience.
  • Fighting their way to Level 20 by choosing a character, selecting their stats and building out a party from a series of diverse allies, each with their own skill-set, agenda and personality. Players will meet and recruit fully fleshed out pre-made characters with unique backstories and handcrafted interactions, as well as have options to fill their party: either with ‘mercenaries,’ blank characters that they can build from the ground up to their exact specifications or mix and match as they go. Players can also decide to travel on their own.
  • Deciding between a dozen classes and backgrounds, customizing spells and equipment in order to prepare for the journey ahead and uncovering the schemes of the Gallian Empire while exploring the vast expanse of Freymark and the Outer Isles.
SKALD: Against the Black Priory is now available on PC via Steam, and GOG for $14.99/£12.79/€14.99, with a current launch discount of 10%. Players can also purchase the Deluxe Edition of the game for $22.47/ £17.68 / €14.99 (10% launch day discount also available for a limited time), which includes the full OST and the Reinforcement Pack, as well as a host of gameplay additions such as:
  • Three unique backgrounds with additional statistics
  • Two new wallpapers
  • A pack of in-game portraits
  • Golden die to roll, amongst other types, with an all-new animation
  • An additional vendor: Malachai the Magical Item Merchant
For the latest information about SKALD: Against the Black Priory and to join the community, check out the game’s official website, X page, and Discord page.​

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1069160/SKALD_Against_the_Black_Priory/
https://af.gog.com/game/skald_against_the_black_priory?as=1649904300

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Kinda surprised by the price on this... will be getting it

that trash Wizardry 1 remake Infinitron shilled costs three times as much as this (and looks cheaper and worse)

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I got it, looks decent and the price is 3/5ths of fuckall. Rather see more of this type of game than endless open world crafting bullshit steam's trying to sling.

Azdul

Magister
I'm sorry but the color palette is vomit inducing.

Going with ASCII graphics would be more attractive.
If they wanted C64:game - they should release it on C64 - on modern 512 kB cartridge.

This color palette was never intended to be displayed on modern LCD screen - but on 80's TV where color balance and saturation were all over the place between different models.

Noone expected faithful reproduction of color values chosen by VIC-II engineers specifically to save as much chip space as possibile and reuse as many resistors as possibile.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
I clicked on the link and there's a big NOW BROADCASTING: WATCH THE DEVELOPER PLAY. That's obnoxious enough to begin with but they add insult to injury when I look over and there's a big fat chick with terrible hair and even worse skin taking up at least 10% of the screen space. How dare these fuckers assault my senses like this? I will never buy your game after this insult.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
big fat chick with terrible hair
Do you have a screenshot?
Thank you for asking, yes of course I do.

yes.png

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
An Ultima nostalgiafest? Looks interesting. Always been more partial to first-person blobbers, Wizardry over Ultima, then again Xulima was amazing.

Maybe I'll get this, if Codex gets excited enough. Btw the font looks like it'd be a fucking pain in the ass to read.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I love the color palette. And not for nostalgia reasons. It is just that I am sick of present day vomit inducing color schemes.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I think the inspiration was a mix between the C64 and the EGA palettes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom