Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima and Gold Box - Early Access in Fall

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by SkaldRPG, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    SkaldRPG The usual term is "checks" rather than "tests".

https://www.skaldrpg.com/2020/06/game-design-tests-in-roleplaying-games/

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Depends on the system. In TDE it was tests, last time I checked.

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    You're putting such an emphasis on chatting with NPCs that I'm disengaging from your discourse, I disagree with this modern interpretation that interacting with a GM translates into chatting with NPCs, that's only a very small part of it.

In Wasteland there are a lot of situations where you will manually choose to ump, swim, dig, set an explosive, use a rope or disarm an alarm, which triggers the appropriate stat check, which in my opinion is a better interpretation of non-combat interactions with a GM. I really would not call Baldur's Gate a good example of a game which translates non-combat interactions of P&P to computers, sure there are narrative choices during dialogs which are part of the dialogs with a GM, and you can kill every NPCs and steal, but it's really optional side options secondary to simply killing everything in your way and occasionnally disarming a trap, it's very different from Fallout which has a world which is meant to be interacted with the way the player wants to, in Fallout there's a constant dialog between the player and the game.

We could discuss about whether keyboard keyword dialog is a better interpretation than dialog choices of chatting with a GM as well but it's not the main thing I had in mind, the main thing is really about directly using skills.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. SkaldRPG Scape-IT Developer

SkaldRPG
    Totally get where you're coming from. But to have it relate to "dialogue" only was not my intention. The reason for the mixup is that in a lot of the games I reference (AND in SKALD), a lot of the non-dialogue skill-use is presented via the dialogue system (or a very similar system). Think the gamebook segments in Pillars of Eternity.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Yes, but that's a distinction only in presentation - not in function. Directly prompting the player to check a skill denies him creative agency, the satisfaction of coming up with a solution on their own. Using skills in the environment, Wasteland- or Fallout-style adds a point-and-click puzzle-like quality to it, where you actually have to think what to do.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. SkaldRPG Scape-IT Developer

SkaldRPG
    Aha that made this a bit clearer to me! This is an approach I didn't account for in the article! I'm planning to do a follow up where I present some of the feedback and perspectives I got and I will add this in then :) Thanks!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    Mostly, yes, but all things considered I still think it's a bit of both, because it's also the traditional old games were all about combat then there were the savior dialog choices and Baldur's Gate and I disagree with this on two levels.

First, as you say, it's a statement which is disconnected from game mechanisms, the challenge in Baldur's Gate focuses on combat much more than Dungeon Master or Legend Of Faerghail or many other games.

However, secondly, and I understand it's complicated because the examples generally also include non-combat challenge, but ignoring mechanisms and talking about narrative, my experience with both CYOA books as well as dialogs with a GM are a lot about reacting to an obsctacle like "There's a chasm ahead, what do you do?" or "There's a watch dog sleeping what you do?" rather than exclusively, extensively chatting with tons of different persons in a town. I have got no problem with walls of text, I like stat checks but I also like adventuring, exploration, dungeons full of secrets, I think that's more interesting than chatting with NPCs in a town, and the supposedly exhaustive dichotomy between combat and dialogs ignores many of my favourite games (Realms Of Arkania games, to some extent Darklands ...).

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. V_K Arcane

V_K
    I'd then add another dimension to consider - resource management tied to checks. It's a sort of a third axis to the random-deterministic debate: checks where you can expend some resource to make up for not having a sufficient skill rank. In RPG/Adventure The Council, for example, you only need to have a given skill at all to pass the check. But the difficulty of the check determines how much effort you must spend in the process; if you don't have enough, you can't pass the check either. Getting higher skill ranks reduces the effort cost. The brilliant part (and what makes The Council a better example than a similar Tormen: Tides of Numenera) is that effort is very limited - you start with 7 points (by the end of the game you may have 10) while an average check has a difficulty of 3-5 points. Plus effort is not restored by resting - you regain 2 points on each level-up, and there's a consumable that also restores 2 points at a time (although unfortunately those are very plentiful). This makes for an interesting tactical consideration, where you have to chose whether pursuing a particular skill-gated option is worth the risk of not having enough effort for a later, possibly more important one (and the game does have "trap" checks - that don't give you anything useful and only waste your effort- aplenty).

A similar approach is lockpicking in Geneforge games - the lower your skill level, the more lockpicks you need to expend on a given lock:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.skaldrpg.com/2020/06/out-for-revenge-intrinsic-motivation-in-open-worlds/

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Early Access instead of full release: https://www.skaldrpg.com/2020/07/project-update-early-access/

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Strange Fellow Kalinite Sympathiser Patron

Strange Fellow
    Love the changes, the interface looks a lot nicer now. Shame about EA, but what can you do. If it's not ready it's not ready.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    https://www.skaldrpg.com/2020/07/project-update-beta-1-1-0/

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  14. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Gazing at his slowly refilling game shelves ;-)
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Still one of my most anticipated games soon to come out...
    Show Spoiler
    yes, I know it's "out" in beta but I (almost) always wait for a full release.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Ranarama Learned

Ranarama
    The demo is excellent. The changes to combat are good, and it's a game in which tests and interactions play key roles. I'm reminded of some of the features of PoR that disappeared from the later gold box games. I'm glad the guy has said (I think during a Matt chat?) that he intends on making further games in the same engine.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  16. SkaldRPG Scape-IT Developer

SkaldRPG
    Hey man and thanks for the kind words! Glad you like the updated demo - there is MUCH more on the way!

Yeah SKALD is made in an engine that has "reuse" as one of it's pillars. So as long as I'm still having fun after SKALD: AtBP is out, I'd love to dig in on a sequel or new a concept in the same engine (such as a sci-fi title) :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • incline incline x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. SkaldRPG Scape-IT Developer

SkaldRPG
    "...they were the first to come through and when we saw the perfection of their form... we rejoiced! For we knew that man-kind was saved!" - Black Priory acolyte, interrogated post-action by Task-Mage Brand.

Multi-tile mobs confirmed :-D

[​IMG]

Cheers!

AL

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. dehimos Augur

dehimos
    I haven't played Ultima or Gold Box, but I really like the visual style of the game. Also the combat system seems much more fun than the classic system.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. SkaldRPG Scape-IT Developer

SkaldRPG
    Glad to hear! Yeah combat is starting to feel pretty snappy and interesting with the last iterations :)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Stormcrowfleet Arcane

Stormcrowfleet
    Very nice! I didn't know about this game. I like the pixel art and the Gold Box feeling. Are you solo on it or you have a dedicated pixel artist?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. SkaldRPG Scape-IT Developer

SkaldRPG
    I'm solo but it's crowdfunded so I have money for pixelart. I do tiles and creatures etc myself and then I commission things like portraits :)

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Stormcrowfleet Arcane

Stormcrowfleet
    The game looks nice. I hope everything goes fine for you! I'd play that.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Mr. Magniloquent Savant

Mr. Magniloquent
    I played Goldbox on my 486 waaay back. My dad let me fix it up, rather than throw it out. While I liked them at the time, I can't say I ever felt the need to go back. This game looks really cool though. I think I might want to play it despite the anachronisms, rather than because of them.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. SausageInYourFace Angelic Reinforcement Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Would you consider adding first person dungeon crawling elements like in the old Ultimas & Goldbox games?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.