Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
It's coming along quite nicely.

Sent from my iPhone 11 using Tapatalk Billionaire Edition from my mansion on the Bahamas.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New lore: https://www.skaldrpg.com/2020/04/worldbuilding-the-courts-of-the-magi/

World-Building: The Storm Rises

Greetings SKALD-fans! I’m currently doing a lot of world building and design on the magic-systems and users of the SKALDiverse (more to follow). In that regard I wrote a very short fiction about what it feels like to cast a high-level spell that I though I’d share with you.

CatoOffice-1.png

This image by MementoMoree has nothing to do with today’s post but it’s fresh of the press and I think it’s amazing.

For next week I plan to do a world-building article about the different “courts” of mages and probably a project update as well.

As always, feel free to join our discord or follow me on Twitter if you want to engage more closely with the project.

Stay safe and have a great day – AL

“Form up!”

Her voice was hoarse from exertion, but the thin line of soldiers that surrounded her obeyed without hesitation. The guards’ polished, silver-inlaid armor and crested helms marked them as among the finest soldiery of the Constellation.

Alryna grabbed the officer by his pauldron and bellowed into his ear over the din of battle.

“We must buy more time for the garrison! I need two minutes. Your men must hold!”

The man’s face grew ashen. She held his gaze, unwavering, until he set his jaw and nodded determinedly. The line would hold – it had to.

Two sharp notes sounded from the officer’s flute. The signal pierced the low rumble of heavy, marching feet and snarling beasts that surrounded the beleaguered rearguard. Reacting instinctively, the soldiers adjusted their left flank.

20200102-042715-ISRAEL-JORDAN-1024x684.jpg

Alryna unclasped her cloak, and the rich, crimson fabric was whisked away by the canyon’s howling wind. She adjusted the cords of her mage-harness and closed her eyes as another wave of flesh-eaters smashed into the thin, silver battle-line.

As she drew a breath, the chaos of battle grew muffled: as though perceived from deep beneath calm waters. Becoming a battle-magos took years of training – and it had been hard for Alryna – but she had persevered and now the shadows of her doubt had been almost completely washed away by the raging force of the Reticulum. Almost.

Here it came! The now-familiar feeling: first like brushing a finger over an enraged and icy river; then the sudden shift of perspective as if stepping off an unseen ledge in the darkness or feeling your mind expand in that instance when you fall asleep and begin to dream.

Then the stench of charred hair and flesh flooded the battlefield – wait – not yet! These were pre-memories! The Reticulum felt unpredictable and dangerous: Like a wounded beast.

A storm brewed – not one of rain or lightning – but a maelstrom of heavy light and thrumming harmonics that refracted into unnamable colors. And Alryna at its eye – willing the maelstrom of Reticular energy to infuse her very being.

Vortex-1.jpg

The chains of her harness began to crackle, the energy arcing towards the silver plated armor of the men around her. Common men would flee in horror at the touch of that terrible light – burning them without heat. Even the hardiest of veteran would relent under the maddening howls that rose during great manifestations of the Reticulum.

But these were not ordinary men. They were elite legionaries, handpicked to fight alongside, or even against, those who wielded the forces of the Reticulum. And so they did not break. Not as rank upon rank of flesh-eaters had their flesh scoured by Reticular light. And they did not break, chanting their hypno-indoctrinated litanies as the howls drove the flesh-eaters insane with fear.

Though Alryna could no longer feel her legs, she was aware of the ground shaking. She stood now at the threshold, her self-hood slowly peeling away like white petals of the orchids that grew in the Imperial Gardens. Suddenly there was a lull in the carnage. The enemy’s charge faltered. A brief moment of respite, perhaps? Alryna knew better than to hope – no, this was the eternal doubt – but her steel heart would not yield.

“Hold the line!” She forced the order from behind grinding teeth. She could only hope the officer heard her over the din of chants and wails.

Their foe began to reorganise. The flesh-eaters who had fled from the first charge were trampled to death by the onrush of fresh monstrosities. The thin, silver line could not hold them back. But she hoped they could slow them down.

“HOLD!” She cried again. As much a prayer as a command – she needed more time. Three sharp notes from the officers pipe signaled the assault and the dozen remaining silver ghosts charged against the oncoming horde. A hopeless charge but Alryna would spend the precious seconds their lives bought well. She cried out in pain and rage, and the sky turned inside out.

For a brief glimpse she saw golden spires rise above lush primordial forests.

The ragged column of men had retreated well beyond the canyon. Now, they stopped in their tracks as the ground heaved. The captain’s horse reared in panic and a second later he saw a blinding flash cut through the canyon far behind them, like a rend in the sky. He gasped in awe as the canyon walls shrugged and then crashed down into the valley, causing another violent tremor. His stunned men cowered in terror.

Desert.png

Then the stench of charred hair and flesh flooded the battlefield and the men began retching.

He had been terrified of her from the moment she arrived. Terrified of what she represented. Now they were alone. Even if they managed to hold the city until reinforcements arrived, the High Court would surely scapegoat him for the loss of the priceless Battle-Magos. But that would have to wait. She had bought them time to take that chance, and he swore to reserve his final blessing for that terrible woman in the crimson cloak.

He tore his eyes from the distant carnage: “Make haste for the city-walls!”

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.skaldrpg.com/2020/05/beta-v-1-0-0-is-up/

Beta v. 1.0.0 is up

Hello everyone!

The time is finally here: I happy to announce that the first tiny piece of the Beta build is finally up!

It’s short and sweet and consists of the games prologue. It should take about 15-20 minutes to play through and you can consider it an interactive trailer of sorts . It also should give you a pretty good idea of where the game is going.

How do I get it?
If you’re a backer: Just use the itch.io link you got for the Alpha demo. It should take you right to the game’s Itch page and there you should find the Beta build easy as pie. If you’ve lost your link, get in touch with me and I’ll hook you up.

If you’re not a backer: Back the game on indiegogo today to become part of the project!

The Next Step
Beta 1.0.0 is for all backers and a handful of friends of the community. As beta-development proceeds, backers of KNIGHT-tier and higher will get a brand new key so they can follow the closed beta development.

Idra.png

Feedback and reaching out
By far, my preferred way of getting feedback in the demo is via the Discord-channel. We have sub-channels set up for that express purpose and keeping things in one place makes it a lot easier for me to review.

Beyond that you can always reach me at contact(at)skaldrpg.com or on twitter.

Hope you all enjoy the demo!

AL

Last edited:

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Hey everyone! SKALD-dev here!

Thank you so much for the kind words. Also for taking the time to post updates about the project. I try to be all around at once but life as a solo dev is pretty busy and most of my time these days is going into making tools and writing stuff - which is very good news for SKALD :)

As always, please reach out if you have any questions or comments and please stay posted!

Cheers,

AL

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why did I first hear about this game now?! Sweet jesus :shredder:

Never too late to engage: www.skaldrpg.com :-D
Absolutely! Somehow missed this until Infinibot's news post. Immediately went to Indiegogo and snagged a Collector's Edition box. The artwork itself (sweet, sweet nostalgia button pushed there) is outstanding and the combat encounters look solid. A winning combination*!

Hopefully

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Absolutely! Somehow missed this until Infinibot's news post. Immediately went to Indiegogo and snagged a Collector's Edition box. The artwork itself (sweet, sweet nostalgia button pushed there) is outstanding and the combat encounters look solid. A winning combination*!

Hopefully

Thank you so much for backing! VERY glad to have you!

AL

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played the beta. Random thoughts:
  • The controls are a bit schizophrenic, and it took some random key-smashing to figure out which keys correspond to the buttons on the screen (and I still don't know how to select items in the inventory or feats from the buy menu with the KB - is there a way? There should be).
  • In dialogue, the spacebar is the continue/skip text button, but in combat it turns on auto-resolve, which is annoying, and I hope you'll let us remap it. In general there's a fair bit of this stuff with keys doing different things in different menus for no reason.
  • In combat, the ability to select a target with the number keys would be nice.
  • Also nice would be if the currently selected tab in the menu were highlighted so you could see which page you're on without thinking about it. Yes, this is extreme nitpicking.
  • The i key should open the inventory. Pls indulge my muscle memory thx.
  • Movement speed while holding down a movement key should be faster - at least as fast as you move when you hammer it.
Anyway, game seems cool, looking forward to the release.

Last edited:

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Played the beta. Random thoughts:
  • The controls are a bit schizophrenic, and it took some random key-smashing to figure out which keys correspond to the buttons on the screen without using the mouse (and I still don't know how to select items in the inventory or feats from the buy menu with the KB - is there a way? There should be).
  • In dialogue, the spacebar is the continue/skip text button, but in combat it turns on auto-resolve, which is annoying, and I hope you'll let us remap it. In general there's a fair bit of this stuff with keys doing different things in different menus for no reason.
  • In combat, the ability to select a target with the number keys would be nice.
  • Also nice would be if the currently selected tab in the menu were highlighted so you could see which page you're on without thinking about it. Yes, this is extreme nitpicking.
  • The i key should open the inventory. Pls indulge my muscle memory thx.
  • Movement speed while holding down a movement key should be faster - at least as fast as you move when you hammer it.
Anyway, game seems cool, looking forward to the release.
Thank you for giving feedback! I'm taking this all to note :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.skaldrpg.com/2020/05/update-last-shot-at-the-physical-version/

Update: Last Shot at the Physical version!

“SKALD: Against the Black Priory” is now entering it FINAL WEEK on Indiegogo! This means that this is the last chance EVER to back the game and receive the physical rewards.

We’re talking a big-box, manuals, cloth maps and a bunch of merch!

Check out the Indiegogo campaign NOW!

Already a backer? Feel free to help spread the word on any CRPG-friendly
forums or social media so all your friends get a chance to join our community!

The Wildlife of Idra
I’m stoked to get to show off some of these awesome pieces by awesome pixel-master John Henderson!

These latest pieces features some of the disturbing and horrid critters of the game’s first chapter! Don’t worry: These guys will show up in the Beta before you know it!

GiantRat2.png

Lizard.png

Crab.png

Abomination1.png

Matt Chat
Lastly, I just did another interview on “Matt Chat”! Be sure to check it out!

See you soon!
These are exciting days for SKALD and I can’t wait to get you the next Beta build! For now, be sure to follow SKALD on Twitter and join us on Discord!

Ok – bye!

AL

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.skaldrpg.com/2020/06/what-a-time-to-be-an-rpg-lover/

What a Time to be an RPG Lover!

Hi everyone! I thought I’d write a short post to give you all a short update on SKALD, show off some excellent art and do some signal boosting for one of my awesome RPG-colleagues (more on that below).

tallGrass.gif

Stalking deer or mercenaries: Tall grass confirmed!

A New Partner: Innovation Norway
Fantastic news: SKALD has been accepted to receive a business-development stipend from the Norwegian governmental org Innovation Norway.

This puts the company in good financial shape, and though I’m still not at the “quit your day-job” level, it means I now have a much greater degree of economic freedom for SKALD and beyond.

A big “thank you” goes out to Aksel Brasøy and Innovation Norway!

The SKALD Beta: Lessons Learned
The first part of the Beta has been out for a few weeks now and I’ve gotten a lot of feedback. I’m hugely relieved to say the feedback is very good and very constructive. It goes to show what an amazingly supportive community SKALD has.

EvilMercsMist-1.png

This John Henderson piece is just jaw-dropping. Note how the fog interacts with the characters! Believe me when I say you’ll be well acquainted with these guys by the end of the game.

Implementing content is an iterative process: Using the SKALD tools to create content, test the content, evaluate the tools, update the tools. A classic trap for projects like this is painting yourself into a corner with complexity rising to such a degree that it causes the project to become unmanageable. I think we’re doing a very good job in keeping SKALD in the green by spending a LOT of time polishing the content pipeline and our workflows.

LookoutPoint.png

The “Far House” perched on a bluff over the raging seas. By Scott Hartill. Note the dream-like sky in the establishing shots. We use the starry skies to to give the images a haunting “cosmic” aperance.

Some of the lessons I’ve taken away from producing the first part of the Beta:
  • Life is too short for bad tools: Spending an hour polishing the implementation tools saves 3 hours down the line.
  • Automate as much as possible: If you find yourself creating similar content over and over, there might be a room for automation. Even if the time saved seems trivial, it often adds up. Removing “friction” allows you to stay in the zone longer!
  • Scripting in the narrative content is the secret sauce: It makes the world feel responsive and alive. It’s important that scripting is easy, safe and reliable.
  • Don’t dwell on a problem if you get stuck or demotivated: There is always another part of the project in need of attention and some of it is bound to be interesting.
The Next Step
The game is being implemented in chronological order and I’m currently working on chapter 1: The Isle of Idra.

The plan is to implement a few of the first areas that players can explore and play around in and then release an updated version of the Beta sometime in June. This will still be available to all backers – we’re not quite at the point where we move to a proper “closed Beta”.

IdraRefugeeCamp.png

More of the cold, uncaring stars!

Keep in mind that the priority at this point is to get the narrative down before the “crunch”. This means that for the Beta you’ll have the main narrative rolled out first, then side content, and then feats, spells, equipment etc.

SKALD is going to be a game with a great story set in an interesting and interactive setting so that’s our number 1 priority right now. Just stay posted and good things will be arriving in your inbox before you know it!

Speaking of good things…

Knights of the Chalice 2 is live! Huzzah!
Knights of the Chalice 2 is now live on Kickstarter! I just backed it and so should you! NOW!

Knights of the Chalice 2 is a party-based epic computer role-playing game with turn-based combat for Windows and Mac OS. KotC 2 is inspired by Baldur’s Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Temple of Elemental Evil and Planescape: Torment. Just like the first game, KotC 2 uses the OGL 3.5, the ruleset at the root of Dungeons & Dragons 3.5.

The Kickstarter campaign will support the creation of future KotC 2 adventure modules, improve the game’s graphics and facilitate the addition of new character classes and other features.

The first KotC 2 adventure module, Augury of Chaos, and the KotC 2 module and campaign editor for Windows and Mac OS will be released to Kickstarter backers as soon as the campaign ends.

In KotC 2: Augury of Chaos, your Heroic Party confronts a group of Evil Fanatics allied with various Demons and Fiendish Dragons. Blast your enemies with more than 700 spells, bull-rush them into spike pits, trick them with your superior guile, or crush them with your enchanted greatsword! See them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their women, as your valiant party progresses all the way from level 1 to level 21.

If you want to get in touch, the easiest way is via the Discord-channel.

Beyond that you can always reach me at contact(at)skaldrpg.com or on twitter.

Have a great day!

AL

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom