Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima - coming May 30th

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scapeit/skald-against-the-black-priory
Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/skald-against-the-black-priory#/

https://www.skaldrpg.com

https://af.gog.com/game/skald_against_the_black_priory?as=1649904300

Hi,

SKALD: Against the Black Priory is an indie CRPG of dark, grounded fantasy with a strong retro look and feel!

Kickstarter.png

The game draws heavily on "golden era" titles like "Ultima", the "Gold Box series" and the "Magic Candle series". It features party-based, story driven, roleplaying that mixes traditional tile based exploration with menu based combat and "choose your own adventure" style sequences.

The game is in late Alpha development and is fast approaching Kickstarter! This project lives or dies by the interest of the indie-RPG fanbase so I really hope to connect with some of you!

Please check it out at www.skaldRpg.com and reach out on Twitter for more info!

Overland.gif

Sewers.gif

NewCombat-1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

d1nolore

Savant
What platforms are you looking to release to? And do you have any plans for the music?

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
What platforms are you looking to release to? And do you have any plans for the music?
The SKALD engine is built in Unity so I can do any platform!

My first priority, however, is PC via Steam. I'll release for mobile down the line but that's more of a "phase two" for now.

Concerning music that will depend on if I manage to raise any funding. It might be anything from free assets to commissioning an artist. I have a lot of respect for the effect of music- and sound design BUT I have no musical talent myself so it's either "pay someone" or find free stuff ;)

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Pretty nice. I wish the screen real estate would be used more wisely though. I mean, even back in C64 days a menu of 9 buttons did not occupy one quarter of the screen.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Pretty nice. I wish the screen real estate would be used more wisely though. I mean, even back in C64 days a menu of 9 buttons did not occupy one quarter of the screen.

Hi and thanks for the feedback!

I agree 100%! I will need to tune it as the game comes closer to publishing! The reason its like this for now is that I have been testing it for both PC and tablet during development and the chunky button UI lends itself nicely to touch :)

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I see many promising tactical elements, like taunt, stun effect. Do I need to purchase a 4:3 CRT monitor to play it? If yes, I'm sold.

I recommend releasing a short demo to motivate/gain the trust of potential pledgers.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
I see many promising tactical elements, like taunt, stun effect. Do I need to purchase a 4:3 CRT monitor to play it? If yes, I'm sold.

I recommend releasing a short demo to motivate/gain the trust of potential pledgers.

Haha yes the CRT monitor will be required ;-)
In all seriousness I'm experimenting w a CRT filter that I'll leave in if it doesn't hurt performance and stability :)

Yes a demo is a great idea before going to KS :) It might not be of the actual "Against the Black Priory" storyline but might be a short "one-shot" style vignette using the SKALD engine and look!

d1nolore

Savant
He said PC first but it would be great on tablet. I don't have a lot of time for gaming these days so getting something to play before I sleep or on the shitter is a blessing.

99.9% of mobile games are trash. I don't know why they don't just make classic adventure games an stuff with classic graphics for mobiles. Rather than the fugly copycat eyesore style graphics they use now.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
He said PC first but it would be great on tablet. I don't have a lot of time for gaming these days so getting something to play before I sleep or on the shitter is a blessing.

99.9% of mobile games are trash. I don't know why they don't just make classic adventure games an stuff with classic graphics for mobiles. Rather than the fugly copycat eyesore style graphics they use now.

A big part of me deciding to go all in on this was playing Gurk - the 8bit RPG on my phone and thinking I can do this better :) So it's for sure coming to phone/tablets but I just need to get my sea-legs w the PC release first :)

Like I said before, it's all built for cross-platform release so publishing for Android etc is basically on push of a button ;-)

Ysaye

Arbiter
Looks good! - I will keep an eye out for the Kickstarter and best wishes to you!

The mention of Magic Candle reminds me of games I miss from my childhood; I only played Magic Candle 2 but I have fond memories of having a team of mainly magicians (Rimfiztrik, Eflun, Madir I think?) and having to find and research the various "named" spellbooks. Magic was very powerful in a tactical sense but also somewhat costly to invest in from a time perspective - altogether it feel it was probably more balanced and fun then it's implementation in many modern CRPGs.

On that, it was interesting to read your bit on magic systems - I agree that there should in general be a penalty for more powerful magics - I think what is also often missing is an ethical element to the use of particular types of magic (Destructive magic should come at an exponential cost to the user both in terms of how society views them and also the impact to them as a user). I am not sure however that I agree with you that it should be the domain of the wealthy or the powerful; more it should be the domain of the clever (who may in turn end up being more wealthy, or forgo wealth for more academic pursuits). Anyway....

I also noticed on your website you discuss a review of book on procedural generation - is that going to be something that is part of this game or something that you will use as a tool to assist development? Or is all the content going to be fixed and created manually?

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
How'd you do the graphics?

Looks great -- not used to seeing that era's graphics so well done.,

Thank you so much! Pretty happy w the look myself. An advantage of working w the C64 color palette is that it lends itself very nicely to bleak, dark environments :)

I do my own graphics using paint.net. The terrain is tile-based.

I'll support Kickstarter if you invest in some nice music:

https://youtu.be/VRcprUCjwDc

Concerning music I'm 100% onboard w music being very important for the tone of the game and I love the example of the HoMM2 soundtrack ;-) However the amount and quality of the sound and music will depend on the funding. That being said, there's a LOT of really good free music and sound FX assets out there so there WILL be awesome music one way or another!

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Looks good! - I will keep an eye out for the Kickstarter and best wishes to you!

The mention of Magic Candle reminds me of games I miss from my childhood; I only played Magic Candle 2 but I have fond memories of having a team of mainly magicians (Rimfiztrik, Eflun, Madir I think?) and having to find and research the various "named" spellbooks. Magic was very powerful in a tactical sense but also somewhat costly to invest in from a time perspective - altogether it feel it was probably more balanced and fun then it's implementation in many modern CRPGs.

On that, it was interesting to read your bit on magic systems - I agree that there should in general be a penalty for more powerful magics - I think what is also often missing is an ethical element to the use of particular types of magic (Destructive magic should come at an exponential cost to the user both in terms of how society views them and also the impact to them as a user). I am not sure however that I agree with you that it should be the domain of the wealthy or the powerful; more it should be the domain of the clever (who may in turn end up being more wealthy, or forgo wealth for more academic pursuits). Anyway....

I also noticed on your website you discuss a review of book on procedural generation - is that going to be something that is part of this game or something that you will use as a tool to assist development? Or is all the content going to be fixed and created manually?

Hi and thanks for the reply! The Magic Candle games and Bloodstone were my primary influence! I also grew up playing them and have great (if somewhat romanticized) memories of them.

Concerning magic, I think what I'm going for is the Empires tendency to attempt to use magic as a means of societal control through the creation and enforcement of laws and institutions (outlawing and persecuting non-sanctioned magic use etc.). Think of the role of organized religion vs paganism in medieval European monarchies :)

As for procedural content I intend to create the main backbone of "Against the Black Priory" by hand but might include some procedural content as a means of adding content. For instance certain dungeons might create part of their layout proceduraly. As for PCG in general I follow the field with interest - thus the review :)

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Reworked the GUI to allow for a bigger overland map etc. I think I'm happy but might also just be the change :-D

D1yQBkZXcAEXc_3.png

D1yQBkYXgAAx20y.png

D1yQBkXWkAYX77E.png

Have a great Saturday!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom