Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima - coming May 30th

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Newest devlog is about combat. Can't copy/past atm.
https://www.skaldrpg.com/2024/03/feature-highlights-combat-introduction/

Feature Highlights: Combat Introduction​

Ho there traveler!

It’s time for another feature highlight! This time, talking about combat rules! This is a big subject but I have to start somewhere, so today we’ll have a look at a few core concepts. Forgive me if this reads a bit like a chapter out of the D&D Player’s Handbook (though I suspect quite a few of you like that).

Some dungeoneering motifs by John Henderson!
In case you’re reading this and don’t know what game we’re talking about, you can start by checking out the SKALD demo on Steam (and don’t forget to wishlist):

Combat in Skald​

Combat in Skald is turn-based and takes place on a tile grid. I’m a huge tabletop RPG nerd and there is a strong influence from 3rd edition D&D and beyond (including games like Pathfinder and, of course, 5th edition D&D).

At its core, this means that combat in Skald cares a lot about proper positioning and synergies between party members and their different skill-sets.

Battle is Joined!​

Once a combat is triggered, you get to deploy your party. Use this phase to make a plan: Set up charges and flanking. Make sure your spellcasters have good angles of attack and take advantage of the terrain when possible (there’s nothing wrong with a good choke-point).

Characters act in descending order of initiative. Agile, lightly armored characters tend to act earlier in the initiative order. You can view the initiative order using the initiative widget on the left side of the screen at any time.

Note how you can also toggle the “tactical overlay” to superimpose a grid over the battlefield. This makes the characters’ exact position more easy to spot.

Also, you should always try to pay attention to the statistics of your opponents and party members (things like damage resistance are great to know about). Thankfully this is really easy with the popup tooltip system!

Action Economy​

A character can move a number of tiles each turn equal to their Combat Moves. These are indicated by the yellow pips on the side of the combat map:

The purple pip(s) indicate the number of attacks a character has. A character can forgo attacking and instead spend their attack action to move one extra tile.

Once a character has attacked, it is no longer possible for them to move (in other words, their turn typically ends after attacking).

Some characters have multiple attacks. You cannot move and attack more than once each turn. So to take advantage of your multiple attacks you must dedicate your entire round to attacking.

Moving out of melee (Disengaging) or swapping places with an ally, consumes all your remaining movement and attacks.

To-Hit Mechanics​

At a very basic level, hitting an opponent comes down to the following:

Attacker rolls 2d6 + relevant skill (Melee Attack or ranged Attack)

vs

2d6 + defender’s Dodge skill.

If the attacker rolls equal to or above the defender’s roll, a hit is scored and damage is rolled equal to the weapon’s damage score + relevant modifiers (such as a Strength bonus for Melee Attacks) .

If the defender is wearing armor, part of the incoming damage is absorbed by the armor (a random amount from 0 to the armor’s Soak value).

Basic Tactics​

There are hundreds of spells and abilities that can be used in combat depending on your class and build. Today however, I’ll give a very short overview of some of the basic general tactics that help setting up the game’s positional gameplay.

CHARGING​

A charge is executed by moving at least 2 tiles in a straight line before executing a melee attack.
Charge1.png

A charge attack gets a bonus on the to-hit roll and the damage roll. This bonus increases the longer you move in a straight line before attacking (Momentum builds up).Classes of the Warrior archetype tend to have feats that improve their charge attacks.

FLANKING​

A flanking attack is performed whenever two attackers stand on opposite sides of the same defender.

Flanking1.png

Flanked opponents are much easier to hit. They also lose the Dodge bonus derived from using a shield. You can spot a flanked target by looking out for the Flanking icon:

Flanking3.png

Flanking also ties in to one of the Rogue’s special abilities: Backstabbing. I’ll talk more about backstabbing in a later post, but in short, whenever a Rogue attacks a character that is either defenseless (Paralyzed etc.) or flanked, they automatically perform a Backstabbing attack that deals a lot of extra damage.

So for any party with a Rogue in it, setting up and taking advantage of flanking can result in very rewarding tactical play.

HOLD ACTION​

Another easily overlooked but vital feature is the “Hold Action” command. This basically moves the current character to the end of the initiative queue (meaning they act last in the turn order).

This is a lot more powerful than it seems as it allows your characters to act with more synergy. Perhaps your rogue would rather wait to attack until after the magos has blinded their target for them, setting up a sweet Backstab attack?

PASS AND DEFEND​

No very exciting but also worth a mention. A character may choose to pass their turn without acting. Typically this is done if a character has no relevant action to take. However, this also gives them a substantial bonus to their Dodge score until their next round.

Consider using this tactically to increase the staying-power of your front line fighters whilst your ranged strikers wear down your foes from the back ranks.

Injury, Death and Moral​

Characters in Skald have two “hit point” reserves: Vitality and Wounds.

Vitality is represented by the green bar under the character portrait. Vitality points are numerous, easily lost and easily regained.They can be restored using healing potions and spells and losing Vitality has no immediate negative consequences. The problems begin once you lose all your vitality points!

Once all your Vitality is gone, damage is dealt to your Wound points. This represents actual, severe physical damage being done to your character. You have few Wound points and they are much harder to recover. Wounds are represented by the purple bar under your character portrait. When you take wound damage two things happen:

First you sustain an injury. Injuries (represented by red circles in the character portrait) give severe penalties to your character. They can only be removed by resting fully in a camp.

Secondly, the wounded character must make a Will save or begin to Panic and flee.

Unlike Vitality, lost Wounds can only be recovered by resting. In other words, once you start to get party members with lost Wound points and lots of injuries, it’s time to start looking for a camp site (see last month’s devlog).

I’m not the only one hearing the crackling of the fire, right?

GETTING KNOCKED OUT​

So what happens when you’re out of both Vitality and Wounds? Well, if you’re a player character you’re lucky: You’re Knocked Out until end of combat. Once combat ends, if at least one character is left standing in the party, all Knocked Out characters wake up with 1 Wound point restored.

The only real downside of getting knocked out in combat is that knocked out characters don’t get their XP share after the fight. This may seem harsh and it might change down the line but I do like a bit of stakes in my combat and I think it works well all in all.

MORAL​

Finally, I also alluded to the Panic condition above. This is worth a mention as well as it plays a large part in combat. Whenever something traumatic happens, a character must make a moral check (2d6 + Willpower vs a difficulty number). This can be triggered by:

• Seeing an ally get killed / knocked out
  • Taking Wound damage
  • Certain spells and abilities
A character who fails their moral check will no longer act during their turn and instead try to flee. There is a chance each subsequent turn that they may regain their composure but needless to say, having your party members rout is VERY dangerous.

Thankfully, Priests and Officers excel at boosting your party’s moral. Also actively trying to erode your opponents will to fight through clever use of spells and maneuvers is an excellent tactic.

I think I’ll leave it here for today. This is such an extensive subject and I’ve only just scratched the surface in this post. Hopefully it gives you a bit of an initial impression though. For a lot of you TTRPG fans out there, you can probably start seeing some of the lineage of the system.

I’ll go more in depth on spellcasting and special abilities etc. at a later point (there’s A LOT to talk about) so stay posted!

Be sure to follow the Skald Twitter and Discord and wishlist on Steam if you haven’t already done so!

Much love,

AL

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad he's using a multidice system, even if it's just 2d6. Hopefully he gives us mechanics that can add or subtract dice, rather than just 2d6+x. I like the party deployment phase, but I'm curious as to how exploring with a single character work with respect to skill challenges. I'm guessing that there won't be any, or you'll just always use the highest among your party. This game does seem like it is getting better, but I can't dismiss my skepticism despite my desire to. He's 6 years in with an alleged 10 hour critical path. I'd say 10 hours is about what I got out of the demo, about half of which was me being a completionist. We're a week away from the start of Q2 2024. Who among us thinks this will release before June is over?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm glad he's using a multidice system, even if it's just 2d6. Hopefully he gives us mechanics that can add or subtract dice, rather than just 2d6+x. I like the party deployment phase, but I'm curious as to how exploring with a single character work with respect to skill challenges. I'm guessing that there won't be any, or you'll just always use the highest among your party. This game does seem like it is getting better, but I can't dismiss my skepticism despite my desire to. He's 6 years in with an alleged 10 hour critical path. I'd say 10 hours is about what I got out of the demo, about half of which was me being a completionist. We're a week away from the start of Q2 2024. Who among us thinks this will release before June is over?

Agree that 2D6 for everything seems... kind of boring?

From all the marketing and the dev's remarks, I would say it's coming pretty soon. Then again, he also claimed it would release last year come hell or high water.

Also, morale is spelled wrong in the blog post at least twice, so hopefully that's fixed before it makes it into the game. Moral means something completely different.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Agree that 2D6 for everything seems... kind of boring?

From all the marketing and the dev's remarks, I would say it's coming pretty soon. Then again, he also claimed it would release last year come hell or high water.

Also, morale is spelled wrong in the blog post at least twice, so hopefully that's fixed before it makes it into the game. Moral means something completely different.
great, you just delayed the game by an entire year

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's coming... APRIL 4th

UPDATE #45 (Indiegogo Short version)
Hello there!

Launch is almost upon us and we will be announcing the release date on April 4th (you’ll be notified here)!

We have something really awesome coming up for the release date reveal and, even though I’ve promised I won’t spoil it, I managed to smuggle out this still (it’s very small and there is so much of me to search):
nesihtrjps1lhc5do7eb.png

With the launch date so close I need to share some info regarding reward fulfillment. I highly recommend that you read this document! I’ll also add the following summary:
• The game is very close to launch.
• Some of the rewards are not done yet and these will need to be fulfilled POST LAUNCH.
• This is a logistical issue - not a financial one. If your rewards end up being cut and not replaced with something just as good or better, you will receive a full refund + a copy of the game.
• Backers who need to take action will be contacted with more details via mail.
• If you do not receive such an email, there is no need for you to take action.
• If for any reason you want a refund at this point, reach out and we'll handle it ASAP. But do so BEFORE the game launches!
I won’t go into more details here as I've explained everything in the linked document.
So with that being said, it’s time to get pumped for April 4th! You’ll get to see some really cool stuff, there is an updated demo coming and I promise you’ll be pleasantly surprised regarding the launch date!
All my best,

Anders

UPDATE #45 (Developer Blog Long version)

Info for Backers​

Did you back the game on Kickstarter or Indiegogo? If so, read this!
This information is up to date as of April 30th 2024.

As I write this, the launch of the game is not far away. In fact, chances are that as you read this the release date has already been revealed (we’re announcing it on April 4th). That also means it’s time for some info regarding reward fulfillment.
When this project started way back in 2019 I had not dared to hope that making Skald would be my full-time job a couple of years later. Skald has been blessed from day one and the influx of support from partners like Raw Fury and the Norwegian Film Institute has allowed me to make so much more out of Skald than I had originally dreamed. All the while, I’m very cognizant that my oldest supporters are you guys: The backers from Kickstarter and Indiegogo.
Your support has meant more than you realize. Without it, the project would never even have gotten started on the trajectory that it’s currently on.
If there is one quality that defines you as a group it is “patiently supportive”. Because, by the Golden Dead, you’ve been patient. However, the thing that keeps me sane whilst asking you to trust me again and again is this: I know you’re all as passionate as me for classic CRPGs and I believe 100% that I am building something that is important for CRPGs as a genre.
If Skald is even a modest success, there will be years of new classic CRPGs ahead and it all started with your support.

Reward Fulfilment​

I’ll now try to go over all the relevant information I have on rewards as we approach launch.

Short Version​

• The game is very close to launch.
  • Some of the rewards are not done yet and these will need to be fulfilled POST LAUNCH.
  • This is a logistical issue – not a financial one. If your rewards end up being cut and not replaced with something just as good or better, you will receive a full refund + a copy of the game.
  • Backers who need to take action will be contacted with more details via mail.
    • If you do not receive such an email, there is no need for you to take action.
  • If for any reason you want a refund at this point, reach out and we’ll handle it ASAP. But do so BEFORE the game launches!

Long Version​

We’ve made adaptations to certain reward tiers and had to postpone others. Simply put, it was difficult to assess the logistics of reward fulfilment when I started the project (I was a sweet summer child in those days). Given the amazing opportunities I’ve been given and how much the project has grown, I’m now at a point where getting this one over the finishing-line requires all my time, attention and energy for the upcoming weeks. And that’s a good thing: It means the end result will be as good as I can possibly make it. Only the success of this title ensures I get to make more of the games we’ve all been missing for 30 years.
However, this also means I once again have to ask for your patience and confidence.
Rushing to finish all the rewards before launch would negatively impact the quality of the game and I can’t let that happen. Furthermore, I have a high quality bar when it comes to all products related to this franchise and it’s out of the question to rush out sub-par rewards “just to get it out of the way”.
The most important thing for for me to be clear about is that the project is still well funded and I’m fully committed to keep you all happy and proud to be backers. If it turns out that some reward tiers need to be canceled completely, we will:
  1. Refund all backers at that tier in full
  2. Provide them with a copy of the game free of charge
  3. Credit the backers in-game as offered by their reward tier
No one is walking away short changed or empty handed!
Finally, it’s always been my policy that if you, for any reason, want to withdraw from the project at this point, let me know and I’ll issue a full refund immediately (do so BEFORE the game launches).
Going forwards, please note that if any action is required on your part due to your tier being affected, I WILL REACH OUT TO YOU. There may be some waiting as I need to manually process some of this stuff but I will get around to you.

Specifics​

Here’s a breakdown of the different backer tiers. Note that minor details may change before launch. If major changes are made, you’ll be notified.

Serf TIER – Base Game​

No change here. The base game will ship soon (priced to 15 USD). We’ll try to get keys to the game out to our backers a few days before launch so you guys can get a bit of a “sneak premier”.
For backers at the Serf tier who might wish to upgrade their version to the Deluxe package (see below), they can do so by purchasing the Deluxe add-on package in the store once the game goes live.

Freeman Tier – Deluxe Edition​

All backers of Freeman tier and above will receive the Deluxe edition of the game (priced to 25 USD).
The Deluxe edition will contain the following:
  • The Base Game
  • A pack of extra character portraits
  • Unique Dice animations
  • 3 extra character backgrounds to choose from during character creation.
  • Malachai the Magical items merchant: A vendor that is available from the mid game and onward that sells a handful of unique magical items.
  • Two wallpapers from the game
  • The OST with about 40 (!) tracks
Node that the game’s manual and map will not be bundled in at launch. The reason for this is simple: Neither of these items will likely be ready at launch. However, the game ships with all the information needed to play so these items are cosmetic (in other words, the game does not require an external manual).
To make up for the removal of these rewards, we’ve made the Deluxe edition quite a bit more extensive than originally planned. In other words, though I will do what I can to get the digital copies of the manual and maps into your hands once they’re made, I will consider this tier formally fulfilled once the Deluxe key is in your hands and the game has shipped.
If this is a dealbreaker for you, reach out for a refund but do so before the game ships.

Knight Tier – Deluxe Edition + Extra DIGITAL Content​

If you backed at this tier or above, you’ll be receiving further communications from me down the line.
A lot of the rewards that were offered exclusively to backers at this tier and above have been baked into the Digital Deluxe Edition (and given out starting at the Freeman tier). Even though you also get the deluxe bundle, this still leaves the tiers for Knight and above underserved in terms of digital content.
It’s critical for me that you get your money’s worth.
We’ll be making decisions regarding post launch content and DLC over the next weeks. We have some very interesting stuff on the drawing board and a solution might be to offer that content to you guys for free. I’ll contact the affected backers as soon as a decision is reached.
If we can’t find a good solution for you guys in a timely manner, we will issue full refunds along with complementary copies of the game to all Knight Tier Backers (this applies even after the game has shipped).

Lord of The Realm, High Wizard and Imperator Tier – Physical Rewards​

See above regarding the digital content portion.
Physical rewards will not be ready by the time we launch. I adore feelies and I really want to nail this one. A boxed edition physical release of Skald would be amazing. I’ve always had a strong concept in mind for the manual, map and box and how I want this to tie into the tabletop roots of the game etc. I really think we could do something amazing with this but the big issue is that it’s time-consuming and at this side of the launch, time is the one thing I do not have.
For now, I need to get the game out first and then I’ll focus my attention on the production of these items. Expect more information on this front after launch.
As above: If we can’t find a good solution for you guys in a timely manner, we will issue full refunds along with complementary copies of the game to all backers at these tiers. (this applies even after the game has shipped).

Deity and Dark Lord Tier​

As you understand from reading the above, backers at these tiers are also affect by the delays. I’ll be reaching out directly to all backers at these tiers over the next couple of days via email and/or whatever other social media where we’re connected.

In Closing​

I just want to say I believe 100% in the game and I can’t wait to share it with the people who made it possible!
If you need to get in touch I recommend sending me a direct message on either Discord, Kickstarter or Indiegogo or send me an email at contact(a)skaldRpg.com.
Thank you once again for your unending support and patience,

Anders Lauridsen

Sotomonte

Learned
As an indiegogo backer for... what? Five years?... but without having followed the development too much, I have to say that I find curious how this game has gone from being a retro style CRPG to a modern pixel art CRPG... and I can't say if I like it or not.

Although the fact that it is somehow in a Lovercraftian environment continues to pique my interest.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It would be hilarious if it's announced on April 4th that the release date is April 5th.

Totally worth it, I would day 1 purchase the game if they did that. Even if I can't read the fucking font.

:d1p:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game is coming May 30, didn't mention year.
The time is upon us, the Dragon has awoken and the LAUNCH DATE IS REVEALED: “Skald: Against the Black Priory” is launching May 30th 2024!

Check out our AMAZING Launch Data Reveal Trailer now!
https://www.skaldrpg.com/2024/04/launch-data-reveal-trailer/
That's just the date for the launch data. We can only hope that this launch data will contain the release date.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
-watches live action trailer-

1712256211599.png

But that doesn't matter because holy shit, the madlads finally made the font readable!

1712256163743.png

:d1p:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Like the pixelated cover version much more than the "remastered" version shown at the very end :). That being said the game-play portion didn't seem as neon colored as feared and the character portraits and cut scene slides still seem to hold that old-school charm. What really surprised me was the trailer production for a retro indie?!! That had to of cost a pretty penny... :eek:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
In the end, if it ends up being fun, I won’t care. But man, why does every iteration have to make it uglier than before?

In the end, if it ends up being fun, I won’t care. But man, why does every iteration have to make it uglier than before?
I can't help but aesthetics are an integral part of the pleasure and fun for me and from seeing the screenshots and gifs I feel absolutely no urge to play this game. All these graphical "refinements" killed the retro look. On one hand there are just too many details to let me feel any classic vibes and on the other hand too less of them to make it feel modern. It's somewhere inbetween, but awkwardly stuck, not representing the middle ground or the best of both worlds graphically.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom