Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyblivion - Oblivion in Skyrim

ferratilis

Magister
You don't like it? Tbh, this guy's voice would suit the latest Pathfinder WotR trailer much better than that lady they got, she doesn't sound "fantasy" enough. This guy sounds a bit modern as well, but much better.

Yosharian

Arcane
kittykat.jpg

:prosper:

Yosharian

Arcane
Honestly what's shown in the video (apart from the derpface I screenshotted above, no fucking clue what's going on there) isn't all that terrible. It's just sad that anyone thinks this won't be released before 2030, I mean come on they still need to add all the quests and everything. It's a Herculean task.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Why make this? I enjoyed Oblivion back in the day for what it was, but nothing is gained from porting this into Skyrim.

Ravielsk

Magister
I mean on one hand its a pretty impressive and the sheer effort they put into this is more than commendable but lets be honest here if the "remake" takes longer to make than the actual game itself while barely leaping one generation in terms of graphical fidelity(remember both oblivion and skyrim were originally PS360 games) then maybe its time to re-evaluate your priorities. I mean its great that they are putting effort into updating oblivion's abysmal 3d models but at this rate the new elder scrolls will come out before the "remake" will be playable. On top of that upgrading a already faulty foundation of the flour flavored oblivion artstyle is just generally a self-defeating effort. Maybe just importing the meshes from Oblivion into skyrim and remaking the functional parts should come before graphical updates that honestly do not look much better than modded vanilla oblivion.

I mean skyrim is already 10 years old and oblivion is currently 15 years old. At this rate chances are that Bethesda themselves will make a remake before this one enters the public alpha stage. Dont get me wrong I wish them luck but it just does not seem realistic or sensible the way they are going about it right now.

d1nolore

Savant
The defence of Skyrim is “Mod mods mods”. You didn’t require mods to mess around in Oblivion for a bit of fun. Skyrim was a bore.

Lambach

Arcane
The defence of Skyrim is “Mod mods mods”. You didn’t require mods to mess around in Oblivion for a bit of fun. Skyrim was a bore.

But on the other hand, there's no one single easy-to-install mod that turns Oblivion into a pretty decent game a la Requiem, so point goes to Skyrim.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I must say, their redesigns of Oblivion's landscapes are quite impressive
They actually look distinct and interesting now

It was quite funny to see them talk about in detail about the characteristics of each different area, but then showing footage of them in Oblivion only for those zones to look all the same
Made funnier by the compasions it to their work, as they completely blow the original designs right out of the water while still "sticking" to the source somewhat

Good job.

racofer

Thread Incliner

Funposter

Arcane
Why make this? I enjoyed Oblivion back in the day for what it was, but nothing is gained from porting this into Skyrim.

these guys where prob part of "baby's first RPG" Oblibiob wave when it released, i guess.
Oblivion released 15 years ago, guys. Many of the people for whom it was "baby's first RPG" would have children themselves.

Inconceivable

Learned
Oblivion > Skyrim
Even with the level scaling. Gods Skyrim was bland.

World Building: Skyrim > Oblivion
City Design: Skyrim > Oblivion
Combat System: Skyrim > Oblivion
Magic System: Skyrim <> Oblivion
Crafting: Skyrim > Oblivion
Main Quest: Skyrim <> Oblivion
Side Quests: Oblivion > Skyrim
Dungeons: Skyrim > Oblivion
Animations: Skyrim > Oblivion
DLC: Skyrim <> Oblivion
Horse Armor: Oblivion > Skyrim

I count 6 : 2 in favor of Skyrim, 3 draws.

This is an irrefutable, peer-reviewed study conducted under the highest scientific standards.

d1nolore

Savant
World Building: Skyrim > Oblivion
City Design: Skyrim > Oblivion
Combat System: Skyrim > Oblivion
Magic System: Skyrim <> Oblivion
Crafting: Skyrim > Oblivion
Main Quest: Skyrim <> Oblivion
Side Quests: Oblivion > Skyrim
Dungeons: Skyrim > Oblivion
Animations: Skyrim > Oblivion
DLC: Skyrim <> Oblivion
Horse Armor: Oblivion > Skyrim

I count 6 : 2 in favor of Skyrim, 3 draws.

This is an irrefutable, peer-reviewed study conducted under the highest scientific standards.

Skyrim world seemed bigger and nice landscapes compared to Oblivion yes. Good for hiking but a lot of emptiness.

City design - the Imperial City shits on any of Skyrim’s isolated longhouse towns. The sewers, arena, and other districts. That is one of the big points for Oblivion over Skyrim, when you start you head right to the Imperial city and get intrigued. Skyrim starts with bumfuck towns and hiking.

Combat and magic mostly the same?

Main quest probably goes to Skyrim because the Oblivion gates were the shits. All the casuals loved the dragons. But who sticks to the main quests anyway?

side quests, probably Oblivion

dungeons probably Skyrim as it was much more rural/wilderness, Oblivion was much more urban. Thus Urban areas were much better.

Problem I had with Skyrim is it started off boring and never really picked up. Too rural, too much empty hiking. You shouldn’t have to wait years for mods to make the game worth playing. Oblivion started fun and got bland later on. Sequels are meant to improve and be better, out of the box Skyrim was a bore. Skyrim should have taken a lot more chances for new intrigues but seemed to continue with the dumped down console route

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom