Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyblivion - Oblivion in Skyrim

Drowed

Arcane
Oblivion was so bad that it was/is used as an offence, "Oblivion with guns" came exactly from that. Skyrim is no masterpiece, but few games have a place in hell reserved in such a special way as Oblivion. Reading the Codex review thread is nostalgic.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Even without mods, I personally prefer Skyrim over Oblivion. Cyrodiil is just the blandest province to set the game in.

No matter how bland the province is it could still be made interesting by competent developer, problem is that with Oblivion and all future games Bethesda proved that there is very few of competent people still working there.

Inconceivable

Learned
City design - the Imperial City shits on any of Skyrim’s isolated longhouse towns. The sewers, arena, and other districts. That is one of the big points for Oblivion over Skyrim, when you start you head right to the Imperial city and get intrigued. Skyrim starts with bumfuck towns and hiking.

The Imperial City is pretty to look at, but it doesn't feel like a real place. Like the rest of Cyrodiil. It's like Disneyland - fake and shiny. Skyrim feels much more like a real place were real people live - there are more farms, windmills, sawmills, people working at stuff.

I've had a ton of fun with modded Oblivion back in the day. And I think we will all agree that The Shivering Isles is one of the greatest DLC of all time. But I'm not sure I will ever want to go back to it again, because so much of it is so bland - the landscapes, the repetitive dungeons and the combat. I can always imagine myself going back to a nicely modded Morrowind or Skyrim, not so with Oblivion.
Of course, I might go back to it, if and when Skyblivion releases. The modding team seems to be making an excellent job of improving on all the bland aspects of Oblivion.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Combat and magic mostly the same?
in skyrim casting required free hand. From my memory in oblivion you could throw fireballs from sword for example.
I quite liked the potential of doing magic+melee in skyrim but it didnt quite work in vanilla(as in wasnt worth it). It was much better in requiem. Still, one thing that sadly never took of was ditching shield in favor of well timed ward spell

Butter

Arcane
Patron
What the fuck is the point of announcing something for release 2 years into the future.
MC04MC5qcGc

"Amateurs" - God Howard

grimace

Arcane
Is this an advertisement for Gamebryo Engine?

A gateway drug to working at Bethesda?

Something to put on a resume to be hired at prestigious AAA game studio?

Alex

Arcane
They should remake morrowind in the Exult (open source Ultima 7) engine instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom