Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyforge MMORPG, co-developed by Obsidian

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Avellone said on twitter that they do not get money for sales of kotor 2, Alpha Protocol, or New Vegas. They do get royalties from Neverwinter Nights 2.

So basically it all depends on contract they sign and not Evil Publisher just coming and extorting all the jewgolds like Infinitron suggests? News at 11

:hmmm:

Is there something unclear about Anthony Davis' post? Keep in mind that he is, if anything, biased in favor of the publishers.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If this news is true it is just sad, it's a new low and I think everyone would prefer yet another D&D or Star Wars or even South Park RPG than this crap. (Although we had basically same kind of rumours about Wheel of Time and it seems that never started.)
What makes you think it isn't true?
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...and-mail-ru-games-partner-up-for-skyforge-mmo
"Skyforge is very interesting and promising project. I am glad that Obsidian Entertainment is involved in working on this game," said Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart. "I am confident that the cooperation with the Allods Team will be a great experience for all of us."
It'd be pretty brazen of them to make that up.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Is there something unclear about Anthony Davis' post? Keep in mind that he is, if anything, biased in favor of the publishers.

Biased in favor of publishers? You mean because he isn't being hysterical about publishers fucking poor devs?

And yeah he's pretty clear that devs do get extra jewgolds.

Another thing that is very clear from his post is that if Obsidian had come up with its own IP instead of cloning/sequeling Bioware games to no end - they would've seen a lot more royalties.

Tigranes

Arcane
If this news is true it is just sad, it's a new low and I think everyone would prefer yet another D&D or Star Wars or even South Park RPG than this crap. (Although we had basically same kind of rumours about Wheel of Time and it seems that never started.)
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...and-mail-ru-games-partner-up-for-skyforge-mmo
"Skyforge is very interesting and promising project. I am glad that Obsidian Entertainment is involved in working on this game," said Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart. "I am confident that the cooperation with the Allods Team will be a great experience for all of us."

I had the impression the first breaking news was google translation of some Russian thing, so I was holding things in abeyance. Sounds pretty confirmed.

Duraframe300

Arcane

I had the impression the first breaking news was google translation of some Russian thing, so I was holding things in abeyance. Sounds pretty confirmed.

They also hired a russian associate producer recently, who's also working at an russian localization firm.

So, yes. Couldn't be more confirmed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, now we know how Obsidian will fund 3-6 extra months of work on Project Eternity. :P

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
This deal is purely money-driven. I am sure nobody at Obsidian has a special interest in joining this MMO as junior partner. But companies at this size (100 + employees) simply can't choose projects on the basis of creative criterias only.

MetalCraze

Arcane
HobGoblin42 said:
But companies at this size (100 + employees) simply can't choose projects on the basis of creative criterias only.

:lol:

I am sure nobody at Obsidian has a special interest in joining this MMO as junior partner.
Yes. That's why they joined this MMO as a junior partner.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Always said Obsidian needs to downsize for their own good.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
That is not what Metro means by "downsizing". He envisions an inXile-sized indie Obsidian.

Rake

Arcane
Aren't they hiring new people all the time depending on the projects they have? When they layoff their stuff they were in a bad financial situation with no contracts. Now they have P:E,South Park,"mystery next generation" AAA game, and that MMORPG they co develop. Can they do all these games without hiring additional people?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Always said Obsidian needs to downsize for their own good.
Weren't they downsized once already?

Yes but they forgot to fire Urquhart, Avellone, Sawyer and whatever other retards jumping on 1 year long dev contracts to get fast cash while making a sequel to some Bioware game.

No other explanation why even their hipstarter wasn't about turnbased RPG of their dreams that Obsidian will 100% make one day. Just you wait.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Yet again we observe MetalCraze's complete lack of comprehension how hard it actually is for an independent developer to sign a deal in this broken business environment.

Yes but they forgot to fire Urquhart, Avellone, Sawyer and whatever other retards jumping on 1 year long dev contracts to get fast cash while making a sequel to some Bioware game.

If those were the only deals they were offered, then you better jump on it, especially if you're a start-up. The party that pays calls the shots, Feargus & Co. didn't have much of latitude there in forging a contract that would benefit Obsidian in any way. You climb the ladder up slowly. If LA wants you to have the game shipped in 12 months versus no contract at all, you just sign it and bite through it. Even a seasoned developer like BioWare eventually had to throw in the towel and let themselves get acquired lest getting stuck with subpar deals. Already just "Subpar" for a well known behemoth like BioWare, mind you.

MetalCraze, however, does not understand anything about the real world. He prefers to be angry on the internet and pays money upfront for Alpha versions of shitty games (ARMA III).

Duraframe300

Arcane
This deal is purely money-driven. I am sure nobody at Obsidian has a special interest in joining this MMO as junior partner. But companies at this size (100 + employees) simply can't choose projects on the basis of creative criterias only.

Nope

As someone who has worked with these guys full time at Obsidian in the past, though. Should we be worried? Also did you guys discuss MMO's too, even if just in a *what if* scenario?

No one at Obsidian ever discussed MMOs with me, even as a “what if” exercise. However, I think they considered online multiplayer projects in the past, so this is not an entirely unprecedented move.

Obsidian has a surprising number of developers who are hard-core MMO and multiplayer gamers, and as far as I know, those guys are the ones who are working on the MMO game. The Obsidian founders try to assign people to games that they are excited about, and I suspect that most members of the MMO team love that genre and are excited to be working on the project. Also, Feargus wouldn’t have signed the project if he didn’t feel confident that Obsidian could execute it well.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
What nope? I don't see any evidence that this deal is not money-driven. Every game studio on this planet has MMO gamers employed, so what kind of argument is that?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That is not what Metro means by "downsizing". He envisions an inXile-sized indie Obsidian.

This is correct. The plus side is they get to employ more people, the minus side is you have to take on a bunch of projects you otherwise wouldn't be happy developing. In the end, is it worth it? I suppose to the people on the margins who would be fired, it is... but one day you might end up like Gas Powered Games.

Tytus

Arcane
I hope for a day when entire MMO genre will die. But that's probably the same day when humanity goes exctinct or something.

deuxhero

Arcane
Says who? WoW and EVE MMO are pretty much the only successful MMOs during the last 5 years, with WoW quickly dying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom